• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel considering replacing Jonathan Majors’ Kang with Doctor Doom and bringing back the original Avengers (RDJ included)

Banjo64

cumsessed

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The stuff about Blade is so hilariously on brand for Disney, it could have easily been a parody in the South Park episode.

"Blade is no longer about a black dude fighting vampires, it's now about female empowerment, and teaching Blade how to understand his own role in the patriarchy."

Just perfect.

Well Done Ok GIF by funk

DrFigs

The stuff about Blade is so hilariously on brand for Disney, it could have easily been a parody in the South Park episode.

"Blade is no longer about a black dude fighting vampires, it's now about female empowerment, and teaching Blade how to understand his own role in the patriarchy."

Just perfect.

Well Done Ok GIF by funk
What if we were the real vampires all along?

Trilobit

A few years ago, I think it was after or during the release of Endgame, Kevin Feige talked about how they would focus on females in the coming phases. I was like "huh, that's weird... isn't Marvel movies mostly watched by men? That won't be so interesting, but surely they'll focus on the winning formula they've had with mostly male superheroes?"

Years later I'm still scratching my head over their creative decisions. I have nothing against female superheroes, but I'm mostly interested in Iron Man, Captain America, Ant-Man and Spider-Man. Female Black Panther or female Hulk is not on my most-anticipated-movies list. I also liked the Captain Marvel movie so I have nothing against female characters per se.

DrFigs

A few years ago, I think it was after or during the release of Endgame, Kevin Feige talked about how they would focus on females in the coming phases. I was like "huh, that's weird... isn't Marvel movies mostly watched by men? That won't be so interesting, but surely they'll focus on the winning formula they've had with mostly male superheroes?"

Years later I'm still scratching my head over their creative decisions. I have nothing against female superheroes, but I'm mostly interested in Iron Man, Captain America, Ant-Man and Spider-Man. Female Black Panther or female Hulk is not on my most-anticipated-movies list. I also liked the Captain Marvel movie so I have nothing against female characters per se.
the captain marvel movie did fine financially didn't it? maybe it just wasn't that good and therefore people aren't looking forward to this one.

Ownage

Makes you wonder if the whole "woke movement" was planned (MKUltra cough).

FunkMiller

Gold Member

“The men will keep coming to see this superhero stuff, no matter who we put in it, or how bad it is, so we can do what we like.”

See also Star Wars.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
After the Thanos arc they were clearly out of ideas. Kang was a dumb idea for the big bad guy. They need someone of galactic scale to top Thanos and I can't see Kang ever being that. Or Doom, for that matter. They really need someone like The Beyonder.
lol what?
Kang and Thanos have always been around the same level, just in different areas, and hickman's god emperor doom arc wasn't that long ago and he could basically one shot anyone
main-qimg-33470a6d15abf03dc833154cfa23d316-lq

(annihilus is another top tier galactic level villain and he's doom's bitch^)

Doom has some absolutely insane feats even before this arc, and this incarnation would be too powerful anyway, same with the beyonders, you don't just whip them out casually, because after them there's not much else where you can go; doom, kang, annihilus, vulcan, cancerverse, kree, dark phoenix are all fine picks for high stakes villains, as long as they don't get killed off in a single movie (like Ego).
After those you might want to explore some of the higher concepts such as the beyonders, galactus and the celestials/skyfathers, but they shouldn't be allowed to be actually beaten/killed, only overcome, like how strange bargained with dormammu to win.

Fbh

the captain marvel movie did fine financially didn't it? maybe it just wasn't that good and therefore people aren't looking forward to this one.

To be fair Captain Marvel also came out in between Infinity War and End Game and they were hyping up the role she was going to have in End Game.
So you had this movie coming out at the height of MCU hype, in between the big 2 movies that were going to end the Infinity Saga and they were basically telling people it's a must watch in anticipation to End Game.

Now there's no End Game hype to lean back on, these characters have to sell tickets on their own.

Pigenator

When they have ideas like Blade demoted to a side character lead by a group of fat lesbians, no wonder almost everything after Endgame sucked donkey balls.
Creatively bankrupt, struggling to gain back audience trust... yeah this feels like it's just going to lead to a reboot in a few years, the DCU way.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Endgame sucked too. Most of the movies have sucked. Here are the only good movies:

Winter Soldier
Civil War
Guardians 1
Thor Ragnarok
Infinity War
Iron Man 1
(I hear Guardians 3 is good. Haven't seen it).

This is the actual list and this exposes what the actual problem is. They just literally don't have any good directors anymore. The Russo Brothers emerged as a real pair with talent and surprised everyone and this is their actual trilogy of good films. Taikka Wattiti has talent and put out one good movie, but seems to have shit the bed after that. People aren't stupid and this is why they showed up for Guardians 3. James Gunn obviously has actual talent as well.

You could pick any superhero and make a movie with Chad Stahelski directing and it would do well and have hype. The issue is that the overwhelming majority of these movies suck and have always sucked. Some of the movies were carried mostly just on charismatic casting, like Iron Man 1 is okay. Doctor Strange 1 is okay. Ant Man 1, okay. Endgame sucks because at that point it really wasn't even a Russo film, it was a Disney film for kids, driven by the producers. This was always the problem. Joss Whedon was an average level TV director and he managed to emerge as the best director they had during the beginning of this because they never had anyone.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Doom has some absolutely insane feats even before this arc, and this incarnation would be too powerful anyway, same with the beyonders, you don't just whip them out casually, because after them there's not much else where you can go; doom, kang, annihilus, vulcan, cancerverse, kree, dark phoenix are all fine picks for high stakes villains, as long as they don't get killed off in a single movie (like Ego).
After those you might want to explore some of the higher concepts such as the beyonders, galactus and the celestials/skyfathers, but they shouldn't be allowed to be actually beaten/killed, only overcome, like how strange bargained with dormammu to win.

You don't want them doing Doom.

"He can't wear a mask all the time!"

"He can't be a dictator from an Eastern European country!"

"He just looks like Darth Vader!"

Honestly, they'd fuck it.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
"He can't wear a mask all the time!"
The actor mask thing is really annoying, karl urban doing dread was awesome cause he never took that shit off and he wouldn't have it any other way either, same with reynolds and deadpool, or even mando; as soon as I heard MC took off his helmet super quick in the Halo show, I lost interest immediately.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
lol what?
Kang and Thanos have always been around the same level, just in different areas, and hickman's god emperor doom arc wasn't that long ago and he could basically one shot anyone
main-qimg-33470a6d15abf03dc833154cfa23d316-lq

(annihilus is another top tier galactic level villain and he's doom's bitch^)

Pussy ass Disney will never allow anything dark or brutal in their Marvel movies. They risked it with Infinity War and it was fucking amazing, everyone loved it and cried and then they just chickend out and revived everyone lmao. Doom has no place in the current MCU they would pussify him. Best to not hope for anything good going forward. Superhero movies are great when theres a risk of them dying but when you know theres always going to be a happy ending, no one cares.

GloveSlap

The funny thing is I think it leaked that a big reason that Disney picked up Marvel and Star Wars in the first place is because the rest of their output appealed too heavily to girls/women. Smart thinking and it worked until they sabotaged their own strategy.

Ironbunny

X-pronoun diverse they them gay as fuck peoples of ethnically nurtured politically correct and morally upstanding citizens of the righteously biological entities.

fixed

I wonder how big of a paycheck RDJ could get negotiated if they would actually reboot this shit. 75m?

Last edited:

peish

majors is also a terrible actor.

all his 3 appearances so far, all over-acting, all the same stilted menacing tone peppered in between trying to be wacko.

with his court case, it is easy to remove him now, instead of getting afraid to remove a POC because his lousy performances mandate it!

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
majors is also a terrible actor.

all his 3 appearances so far, all over-acting, all the same stilted menacing tone peppered in between trying to be wacko.

with his court case, it is easy to remove him now, instead of getting afraid to remove a POC because his lousy performances mandate it!

Disagree that he's a terrible actor. His portrayal of Kang isn't as bad as you believe. At least to many people who've seen his Kang variants. He was amazing in Creed 3. Great in Devoted. Loved his acting in Lovecraft Country. He's been FUN in his Kang variant portrayals.

NickFire

Let me guess, woke Disney/Marvel can't come up with an alternative name for the "X-Men"?

drag queen trans GIF
It appears you haven't heard of "eX-Men" yet.

Also, the people in charge of Marvel and Star Wars have to be some of the dumbest "smart people" in history. And whoever put them in charge should be answering some basic questions to the shareholders. Starting with what the hell is wrong with you. Add in a little what the hell were you thinking. And when did killing the golden gees become a positive for shareholders.

Last edited:

tkscz

Loki is a fantastic show, best thing since Infinity War but for some reason they have added this woman named Sylvie who acts like a real cunt all the time. It’s like they do it to themselves or have no idea how to write women.
The one I find to be the best example of how horrible these types of characters can be doesn't even come from Marvel, but still was a Disney project. They are bad but I'm talking text book here, the character that needs to be shown to film students as what not to wright because of how fast she shows she's a terrible person
rose-tico-db-tlj_a70bef86.jpeg

Rose Tico shows in the first few minutes she has speaking lines exactly how not to write someone if you want people to like them. The first thing of note she does, while having been on screen all of five minutes, is electrocute Fin because he wants to go find Rey but Rose wants him to fight with her because her sister died in the last scene and if he doesn't she'll keep electrocuting him until he does. Like bitch that's not his fault nor problem. She immediately comes off as bitchy, stuck up, knowing it all, entitled and bratty in THE FIRST THREE MINUTES SHE GETS REAL SCREEN FOCUS. Her action, tone and attitude is something you saw out of bratty little sisters in old 90s movies, the little sister you were not meant to like. To straight up tell someone you don't know who just woke up from being unconscious and wants to find their missing friend that they HAVE to help you or be tortured because your sister died is so fucking awful and entitled that I was damned confused if she was good or some sort of traitor. And they thought they were making her "quirky" throughout the movie but she was a nothing burger with a blank personality who then loves Fin by the end, the same guy who she threatened to torture if he didn't help her. How the fuck did they think anyone would like her? These writers on these projects I swear feel like they don't interact with people. And yes, in terms of that movie the long neck purple hair lady was far worse but she wasn't introduced as big of a bitch as Rose was. Rose was immediately introduced this way.

manfestival

Honestly, I would be fine with more superhero movies if they bothered just making them more interesting. Even okay with shameless fanservice being in a movie. Just feels like everything went from being a part of a bigger picture to just coming across like vanity projects for whomever was at the helm.

Neon Xenon

The one I find to be the best example of how horrible these types of characters can be doesn't even come from Marvel, but still was a Disney project. They are bad but I'm talking text book here, the character that needs to be shown to film students as what not to wright because of how fast she shows she's a terrible person
rose-tico-db-tlj_a70bef86.jpeg

Rose Tico shows in the first few minutes she has speaking lines exactly how not to write someone if you want people to like them. The first thing of note she does, while having been on screen all of five minutes, is electrocute Fin because he wants to go find Rey but Rose wants him to fight with her because her sister died in the last scene and if he doesn't she'll keep electrocuting him until he does. Like bitch that's not his fault nor problem. She immediately comes off as bitchy, stuck up, knowing it all, entitled and bratty in THE FIRST THREE MINUTES SHE GETS REAL SCREEN FOCUS. Her action, tone and attitude is something you saw out of bratty little sisters in old 90s movies, the little sister you were not meant to like. To straight up tell someone you don't know who just woke up from being unconscious and wants to find their missing friend that they HAVE to help you or be tortured because your sister died is so fucking awful and entitled that I was damned confused if she was good or some sort of traitor. And they thought they were making her "quirky" throughout the movie but she was a nothing burger with a blank personality who then loves Fin by the end, the same guy who she threatened to torture if he didn't help her. How the fuck did they think anyone would like her? These writers on these projects I swear feel like they don't interact with people. And yes, in terms of that movie the long neck purple hair lady was far worse but she wasn't introduced as big of a bitch as Rose was. Rose was immediately introduced this way.

For all of the attempts people have made at trying to rebuke audiences for "unfairly" hating Rose Tico, I can't imagine anyone hating Rose Tico more than the writers and producers responsible for creating her in the first place.

Last edited:

DrFigs

Endgame sucked too. Most of the movies have sucked. Here are the only good movies:

Winter Soldier
Civil War
Guardians 1
Thor Ragnarok
Infinity War
Iron Man 1
(I hear Guardians 3 is good. Haven't seen it).

This is the actual list and this exposes what the actual problem is. They just literally don't have any good directors anymore. The Russo Brothers emerged as a real pair with talent and surprised everyone and this is their actual trilogy of good films. Taikka Wattiti has talent and put out one good movie, but seems to have shit the bed after that. People aren't stupid and this is why they showed up for Guardians 3. James Gunn obviously has actual talent as well.

You could pick any superhero and make a movie with Chad Stahelski directing and it would do well and have hype. The issue is that the overwhelming majority of these movies suck and have always sucked. Some of the movies were carried mostly just on charismatic casting, like Iron Man 1 is okay. Doctor Strange 1 is okay. Ant Man 1, okay. Endgame sucks because at that point it really wasn't even a Russo film, it was a Disney film for kids, driven by the producers. This was always the problem. Joss Whedon was an average level TV director and he managed to emerge as the best director they had during the beginning of this because they never had anyone.
I liked Black Panther. but yeah. they're having the same problem that DC is having imo. just lots of bad movies

StueyDuck

Yep... sounds like a Disney plan alright, like the fix to problematic over saturation is just add memberberries.

I've said it before, take all the crap right now that no one wants clearly. From SW , MCU, Animation etc, take it out back and give it the ol yeller treatment.

Then for a few years just make original IP, family fun random ass movies that aren't preachy, just old school Disney, you know something like 3 kids find and old book, it's scary to them because kids today don't know how to read then bam a magician flies out and they've gotta save the day from the mess they've caused , they learn to be friends, overcome fears and become heroes, done and dusted.

Now after all those small scale, lower budget franchise you come back big with a new MCU, you start with Xmen or fantastic 4 and you use those 3 years to really just sit and work on it, employ the right leaders and writers. Star wars can die for a bit longer, I feel its current shitery hurts more than MCU. 6 years come back with something new for star wars, again just work with it and make it special all that time.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
tbh, the MCU movies were getting old even before the Avengers story arch finished. They’re just out of stories at this point that anyone cares about. FFS there are like 30 of these movies at nearly 3 hours each and they’re all essentially the same experience. Who the hell keeps going to see these?

Last edited:

MayauMiao

tbh, the MCU movies were getting old even before the Avengers story arch finished. They’re just out of stories at this point that anyone cares about. FFS there are like 30 of these movies at nearly 3 hours each and they’re all essentially the same experience. Who the hell keeps going to see these?

Avengers Endgame was the last movie I saw from the MCU and it was out of obligation to finish the Infinity war.

The bad sign came the moment they had the shot of all female "avengers" posing together and I thought it was the moment that MCU jumped the shark.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Yep... sounds like a Disney plan alright, like the fix to problematic over saturation is just add memberberries.

I've said it before, take all the crap right now that no one wants clearly. From SW , MCU, Animation etc, take it out back and give it the ol yeller treatment.

Then for a few years just make original IP, family fun random ass movies that aren't preachy, just old school Disney, you know something like 3 kids find and old book, it's scary to them because kids today don't know how to read then bam a magician flies out and they've gotta save the day from the mess they've caused , they learn to be friends, overcome fears and become heroes, done and dusted.

Now after all those small scale, lower budget franchise you come back big with a new MCU, you start with Xmen or fantastic 4 and you use those 3 years to really just sit and work on it, employ the right leaders and writers. Star wars can die for a bit longer, I feel its current shitery hurts more than MCU. 6 years come back with something new for star wars, again just work with it and make it special all that time.

I don't particularly want to see them die - I want good movies again. I don't care if there are 3-4 Marvel/Star Wars movies a year, as long as they are all fun/entertaining/well written. Which none of them have been for a long while.

I would love to see a Marvel Movie series based on the early comics. See the original meet up of Peter with the Fantastic Four by him breaking in, causing havoc, and generally being a dense/shit-head teen set in the proper 60s setting.

Neon Xenon

Just perfect.

Well Done Ok GIF by funk
It's really past parody at this point, isn't it?

While I have no doubts that there are people who are genuinely racist or ignorant and hate any real attempt at diversity, that doesn't change the fact that the writing in these mainstream IPs for these characters isn't doing any favors at all.

The painful irony that needs to be pointed out is that in the haste to push these characters that are diverse/female/whatever, the bad writing trends and habits on display from the writers and producers behind them (mainly from mainstream media) that keep being repeated across multiple forms of media are only doing said characters a massive disservice. As long as this continues, it's going to reflect poorly on any real attempts at character diversity, which is what people are missing when these characters get criticized.

Taking that into account, it's no wonder to me that more people have gotten so dismissive towards seeing female and minority characters on sight in mainstream media, because the writing for so many of these characters and the scripts for these properties just fucking sucks.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont care for Marvel superhero movies, but Doctor Doom would be cool. I know who he is and he wears the ridiculous elf costume, but I never knew his personality aside from being a bad guy. He sounds awesome compared to the typical meathead villain. From wiki:

Psychology[edit]​

On many occasions, Doom's only real weakness has been his arrogance. Layla Miller once reflected that Doom is incapable of accepting that he himself might be the reason for his failures. This is most keenly reflected in Doom's continued refusal to accept responsibility for the accident that fully scarred his face, instead preferring to blame Reed Richards for sabotaging his experiment. While his high opinion of himself is generally accurate, he is unable to accept when others may have a better understanding of a situation than he does, with the occasional exception of hearing the recommendations of heroes such as Mister Fantastic or the Thing when it is to his advantage. Even when teaming up with others against a greater threat, Doom will often try to subvert the alliance for personal gain; for instance, while allied with Adam Warlock and other heroes against the Titan Thanos, he attempted to steal Thanos’ Infinity Gauntlet before its owner had been defeated, potentially disrupting Warlock's own plan to defeat Thanos.

Von Doom adheres to a strict code of honor at all times. However, Von Doom will keep his exact word, which may or may not be beneficial to the person to whom he has given his promise. For example, Doom may swear that he will not harm an individual, but that only means he will not personally harm that person; it does not mean he will prevent others from harming that person.

Doom's honor code led him to save Captain America from drowning because Captain America had earlier saved his life, and on another occasion he thanked Spider-Man for saving him from terrorists attacking him in an airport by allowing him to leave alive despite Spider-Man subsequently insulting him. His code of honor also means that he will not attack a respected opponent who is weakened or at a severe disadvantage, as he regards any victory resulting from such circumstances as hollow and meaningless. He has even on several occasions battled opponents who were intent on killing the Fantastic Four, for no other reason than the fact that he does not want the ultimate defeat of the Fantastic Four to come from anyone's hands but his own.

Victor Von Doom has been shown to be devoted to the welfare and well-being of his subjects. Once, he even went so far as to let his soul lay bare and be judged by the Panther God of Wakanda, who determined that he genuinely wished for a utopian future where humanity thrived, albeit one where he was in power.[119] Doom is beloved by his people of Latveria, which assumedly confirms his ego.

MrMephistoX

Marvel is basically Rocky in Rocky 3 at this point they’ve lost the eye of the Tiger and the novelty of telling one good interconnected story over a 10 year period. Iron Man was a risk, Avengers was a risk, Guardians was a risk, hell even Civil War was a risky move supes fighting supes. Marvel is risk averse now because they have to live up to their legacy of several billion dollar grossing hits.

Top Bottom