• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what were the bombas of 2014?

When you post something think of it like you're saying it to an actual person. You don't know that person and then you reply with "don't be an idiot", its beyond rude. Do you get what I'm saying?

Its idiotic to bring up hardware numbers when a person is asking about software to begin with.

Im not from america, but asking someone to NOT be stupid and stay on task is taken as a favor where I am from.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
When I say bomba, the game can be a financial success but still considered disappointing compared to relative expectations.

BOMBA:
Assassin's Creed - Both the PAL and NPD threads have shown that Rogue + Unity is down on Black Flag across all platforms, and thoroughly deserved after the game's issues (plus I hate Ubi's handling of the franchise anyway). In the UK Watch Dogs on PS4 at launch outsold Unity across all platforms!

What expectations were there? The game is up YOY compared to Black Flag on the PS4 and XBO. Rogue's release saw a massive decline YOY compared to Black Flag on 360/PS3, but if anything, that says more about the complete lack of marketing they performed for the game.

Call of Duty - The decline continues, we just have a thread detailing that CoD is down 27% yoy in the US, and as for the UK AW did outsell Ghosts on launch week but it had an extra day and no staggered launch.

Might have been disappointing compared to relative expectations, but any game that does more than 4 million in sales in its release month and becomes the best selling game of the year does not deserve to be in a BOMBA list.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - the absence of this game in the latest NPD top 10 has to be a worrying sign but that alone isn't enough to comment =/

Up over Dragon Age II and on par with Origins. Definitely not a bad start.

Call of Duty and AssCreed can both sell a lot of units and simultaneously fall way, way short of publisher expectations. You can probably throw Titanfall into that quasi-category too given EA's complete silence on the sales. All successful games in a vacuum, not quite as much compared to what publishers' wanted.

BOMBA to me are games that are heavily hyped by the press, or at least decently marketed by the publisher, that do not even land in the top ten on their debut month. 2014 was not exactly a minefield of compelling new releases, so if you're landing outside of the top ten, something went wrong.
Your game can sell 300k and still not be in the top 10 of the NPD depending on the release month

This is flawed logic at best

Sunset overdrive isnt a bomba either

Real Bombs:
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
- Murdered: Soul Suspect

Yeah, I mean they might be able to redeem themselves with a Watch_Dogs 2 (like assassins creed 2) but who knows. Sucks since the premise was interesting it just got ruined by the typical "big budget big development" engine.

Im pretty sure watch dogs was ruined because hacking simply amounted to only pressing down one button to be a voyeur without being a more involved, fun element of the game. It was just a tool to do things we've done in previous open world games.

In some parallel universe Alien Isolation won every GOTY award and sold crazy numbers, like it deserved to.
Even just the possibility of this game being a sales bomb makes me die a little inside.

They're talking about making a sequel already, I doubt it bombed.

Sometimes I wonder if you lot enjoy the despai in the air around you

Bayonetta 2.

It even got Nintendo pushing it with ads and all that and even that didn't help.

SIgh we live in a world where people think a game selling 300k worldwide is a "bomba"

Bayonetta 2 is simultaneously the best game of the year and the biggest bomb of the year.

No dreams, only tears now.

No its not.

That's Castlevania 2.

Nokterian

D3 was "fixed" by making a console version that was loved, firing the director of the original PC version and then bringing in the console guy to do a complete rework.

So I mean its possible buts its not the same situation as Destiny. Would be cool though since I enjoyed my time with Destiny until it kind of become horrible since there's no content?

Josh worked on PC games before but yes he was in charge of the original console version for D3 on PS3/Xbox 360. And Wilson was transferred to another project in blizzard and if you haven't watched Blizzcon they did a retrospective on how the game launched towards we are now and for the greater good thank god.

Simzyy

Dragon Age is is no I'd say. It's not surprising it didn't make Top Ten when you look at that list, anyone walking down the street knows GTA, Pokemon, Halo, Assassin's Creed, etc.

Here's what BioWare's Jarret Lee said:

"Hi guys - obviously it's a drag not to see DAI on that top 10 list for November. I can't really give any figures of course...However, from what I know about the sales numbers (a) DAI is doing great and well ahead of it's predecessors, and a significant percentage of sales of DAI are digital and not tracked by NPD. If anything, I'm more worried about the weird signals this chart sends to the market about DAI, as opposed to the reality of our unit sales :)"

That's great news :)

TI82

Banned
Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;143054215 said:
Im pretty sure watch dogs was ruined because hacking simply amounted to only pressing down one button to be a voyeur without being a more involved, fun element of the game. It was just a tool to do things we've done in previous open world games.

There was a lot of problems but yeah that's one.

Josh worked on PC games before but yes he was in charge of the original console version for D3 on PS3/Xbox 360. And Wilson was transferred to another project in blizzard and if you haven't watched Blizzcon they did a retrospective on how the game launched towards we are now and for the greater good thank god.

Haven't seen that yet mind pming me a link?

Verger

Banned
I couldn't possible disagree with someone more on the subject.

Would absolutely love more Lords of Shadow.
Same. I had a great time with the second one despite its flaws. I think had it been given a better ending it would have been remembered more fondly.

I think Lords of Shadow 2 tanked.
It turned a profit. Probably marginal though.
Well, that is good to hear it wasn't a total loss. But as you said, it probably didn't turn enough of a profit to put a new game on the fast track. Even without MercurySteam no longer involved (though most would agree that the studio quality wasn't at LoS1 levels when they made the sequel) I imagine Konami would be thinking hard about what to do next with the franchise.

Ambient80

LBP3 was bundled with a bunch of PS4. I think it'll do ok.

Bayonetta 2 bombed hard. Nintendo fans being Nintendo fans. Glad Nintendo allowed it to exist.

I wonder if they could slip her into Smash as DLC? Dunno if that would be possible but it would be cool IMO.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Murder Soul Suspect was bombas,
I'm sure Alien Isolation charted well too same as the other games in the OP price cuts mean nothing during this period of the year, COD and AC hardly bombed, they probably be the biggest selling games of 2014 with GTAV and Watch Dogs
this year I'd say Murder Soul and Thief bombed, maybe New Order too as its the cheapest PS4 game at the mo.

Fbh

It's sad to see Dragon Age listed as "mabye" on a Bomba list.

It's a great game and even won the only GOTY we have had so far. If even Dragon Age can't sell I see a dark future for high budget western RPG, which is just sad

Einbroch

Banned
The Wii U, especially November. I was shocked at the numbers. It has a lot of great games, and Smash + Mario Kart have such broad appeal that I thought this holiday season would see much higher sales.

RPGamer92

Banned
Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;143050306 said:
It was also the Wii U's biggest sales wek so far. The console hasnt had any momentum so please dont be an idiot.

Thats the most the Wii U has ever done in any november since launch
Just because it's the system's biggest week doesn't mean it's good.

Mooreberg

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;143053942 said:
Your game can sell 300k and still not be in the top 10 of the NPD depending on the release month

This is flawed logic at best

Sunset overdrive isnt a bomba either
Perhaps you are correct. I just remember Microsoft published titles coming out fall 2006 and later generally selling very, very well. And they were never really taking the hit on bundling any of those games either. Maybe DA:I just suffers by way of comparison, because the other critical darling fantasy WRPG of the past few years was Skyrim, and that game was a monster in terms of sales. It wasn't for a lack of competition either, since MW3 had the best opening month ever for COD, and the first party games from that year seem to have performed better too.

Dragon Age is doing well internally :)

EA tracks things the NPD doesn't. In any case, this November was a massive month in terms of high profile games with COD, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, GTA V, etc. It's no surprise it wouldn't chart against those.

sora87

Little Big Planet 3 sold like 99k on PS4.

I remember a lot of people around here talking it up like it was gonna move systems cause it is kid friendly or something.

Wow really? Didn't the others sell millions? Maybe it'll have some legs, well hopefully anyway. I would have thought it'd sell quite well considering the install base and lack of titles.. guess Sony did send it out to die though. :/

Despera

Banned
I'm still shocked that LoTF did well. Probably thanks to reasonable budgeting.

Very fun game, but I have experienced more bugs and glitches while playing it than I did my entire gaming career XD

gogosox82

I think AC will sell fine. Its still bundled in with the Xbone/Ps4 so it will probably be ok. COD may not be selling as well but that may be because of Ghosts. And it still sold a ton.

No argument from Murdered: Soul Suspect. Game definitely was a bomba.

DA:I didn't bomb. Its selling better than DA2 and on par with DA:O and NPD doesn't add in digital. I think its doing fine when you consider the competition (COD, FC4, 2 AC games, Pokeman).

Think Alien: Isolation and the Evil Within are doing fine as well.The Evil Within was 3rd in NPD in October so I think its doing fine and I read they are already planning a sequel for Alien: Isolation. Also the sales may just be trying to cash in on the holiday season.

The only bombas I can think of this year are Murdered: Soul Suspect and Thief.

Wow really? Didn't the others sell millions? Maybe it'll have some legs, well hopefully anyway. I would have thought it'd sell quite well considering the install base and lack of titles.. guess Sony did send it out to die though. :/

LittleBigPlanet 2 sold 353K opening month back in January 2011.

LittleBigPlanet 3 selling 133K---in a holiday month no less---is a failure.

BBboy20

TLBP3, in comparison to its two predecessors, has done significantly bad sales wise. That's a game that should've come out as a more polished, bug-free product in late January, but Sony decided to release it amidst all the big-hitting titles of November and plagued with glitches.

I like the series and the game mechanics but I don't really feel sad. The ever decreasing game length kept me from buying it. LBP 1: 9 hours, LBP 2: 6,5 hours,LBP 3: 5 hours. (how long to beat)
Really? Shiet. Funny, I was at Best Buy today and noticed they had the Limited Editions on display. I'm going to be a PS4 owner soon but you're telling me the game still isn't fixed...and is the plushi the same as the LE of 2?

The sad thing is the old levels are barely compatible. Anything moderately complex seems to be broken in some way or other. I was excited to check out some of the top levels since I stopped playing LBP2, but given the state they're in I wish they would have said forget it and taken the series in a more innovative direction.
Gives me the impression rather 3 could be compatible with 2 wasn't their concern.

Wildstar

The game had major server merge + layoffs like 2 months after launch. Game is legit bomba.

Wildstar is a tough one as we don't know the numbers, at launch the amount of sales apparently far exceeded their expectations but the retention was something that lacked. I feel sorry for Carbine as some things weren't in their control. When they announced the release date, you could tell that they weren't happy. Clearly something decided by NcSoft and not when the game was ready to be shipped (too many bugs)

One of their key promises of monhtly updates backfired horribly. They did keep on their promise early on but the Quality Assurance couldn't keep up which just caused frustration. That I think drove people away the most. I don't think the gameplay itself really drove people away. Are their other factors, absolutely, but I think the bugs was the biggest factor.

Servers appeared empty: This is I think a problem of the housing system which is probably the best in the genre. It's amazing, problem is. It's amazing and offered you so much that there was at times little reason to go to the cities anymore except for perhaps the Auction house.

The hardcore problem, this was a big problem. The problem is that hardcore=tedium. Reputation grinds, extremely difficult attunement quest. Dungeon competitiveness as unless you got a gold medal you didn't get jack shit. So the first wipe usually meant disbanding. Awful.

All of the above is pretty bad. However,the future seems cautiously optimistic. Everyone seems to be super excited about the upcoming Fourth Content Patch (Drop 4) Which adresses a lot of people's concerns they had with the game and weren't so easy to fix.

A lot of the hardcore hardcore stuff has been toned down significently. The 40 man raid has been repurposed to a 20 man raid so it's way more manegeable and is in line wiht most public events (which are for 20+ players)

The Attunement quest got cut down, the dungeon rewards system got changed up. (Higher medal gives more amounts of loot, but even with no medal you still get worthwile amount of loot). They've really been listening to the feedback in the last couple of months and caused me to subscribe again. (Didn't play for 4-5'ish months I think, WoD was fun)

I really really personally hope Wildstar can turn things around in 2015. The changes upcoming are great, and the combat system is (imo awesome, but I get why people wouldn't like it either). A wonderful art style, awesome races and world.

I really hope NcSoft doesn't pull the plug anytime soon like some of their other games and gives them enough time to Carbine to prove. It would be a shame for Wildstar to go under. It definitly had/has some major flaws, but it's by no means a bad game at all.
Wow. Wildstar really has been the one MMO I've eyed on since maybe the Secret World but guess I glad I never got involved. Maybe I will if they ever manage to fix all of that.

Destiny is a "Diablo III" type bomb. It sells gangbusters, a vocal portion of the audience pans it. I imagine Destiny gets "fixed" like D3 ultimately did. A lot of people playing D3 now say it's much improved from the original release.

Titanfall was propped up a lot with bundles, and being in that launch window.
Not the way Destiny 1 is going.

Bayonetta 2 is simultaneously the best game of the year and the biggest bomb of the year.

No dreams, only tears now.
;___________________________;

Dragon Age is doing well internally :)

EA tracks things the NPD doesn't. In any case, this November was a massive month in terms of high profile games with COD, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, GTA V, etc. It's no surprise it wouldn't chart against those.

Exactly, there's no shame in placing below the top 10 in the busiest month of the year for high profile game releases. Good to hear Dragon Age is doing well though, quality should be supported.

Watch Dogs - BOMBA

lol...no.

You honestly think shipping over 9 million copies of a game is a bomb? Even if Ubi only grossed $30 per copy, that's still $270 million. But they didn't...AAA sales are generally front loaded, and most of those copies were likely $60, nevermind collectors editions and DLC sales.

Watch Dog Ships 9 Million Copies, Helping Ubisoft Sales Rise Sharply
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dog-ships-9-million-copies-helping-ubisoft-s/1100-6423279/

On another note:

Sales for Titanfall:
Titanfall sales reached 925K copies in March (Launch month, US/NPD only, not any copies sold outside the U.S., or digital copies sold through Xbox Live and Origin)
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/6/5688576/titanfall-sales-first-month-us-retail

Destiny:
"Destiny sold-through more than $325 million worldwide in its first five days"
http://kotaku.com/all-the-ways-activision-is-avoiding-saying-what-destiny-1654985376

Evil Within is an incredibly divisive title, with just as many people hating it as there are loving it so that balances itself out.

It also got 3rd place in October NPD, something that I never thought would happen.

So scratch that off the list of Bomba.

How about the Sleeping Dogs remaster?

....I mean, it's OT died within days and no one has even mentioned it in this thread yet.

I'd like to find out how poorly it sold.

Redrop

Yatōkiri_Kilgharrah;143053942 said:
Real Bombs:
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
- Murdered: Soul Suspect

Oh god, I had completely forgotten about Castlevania. That poor game.

It really is a pity too, because the first Lords of Shadows was very entertaining and had wonderful art. I never took interest in the second one because of how bland it looked, and the reviews didn't really encourage me either.

Ahasverus

ou said, it probably didn't turn enough of a profit to put a new game on the fast track. Even without MercurySteam no longer involved (though most would agree that the studio quality wasn't at LoS1 levels when they made the sequel) I imagine Konami would be thinking hard about what to do next with the franchise.
There are rumblings about a new Castlevania game from MercurySteam following some game pitch presented to the spanish goverment for subsidies related to some story about Dracula and WWII. It's not known yet if it went anywhere, but it happened around september.

Nokterian

Wildstar is a tough one as we don't know the numbers, at launch the amount of sales apparently far exceeded their expectations but the retention was something that lacked. I feel sorry for Carbine as some things weren't in their control. When they announced the release date, you could tell that they weren't happy. Clearly something decided by NcSoft and not when the game was ready to be shipped (too many bugs)

One of their key promises of monhtly updates backfired horribly. They did keep on their promise early on but the Quality Assurance couldn't keep up which just caused frustration. That I think drove people away the most. I don't think the gameplay itself really drove people away. Are their other factors, absolutely, but I think the bugs was the biggest factor.

Servers appeared empty: This is I think a problem of the housing system which is probably the best in the genre. It's amazing, problem is. It's amazing and offered you so much that there was at times little reason to go to the cities anymore except for perhaps the Auction house.

The hardcore problem, this was a big problem. The problem is that hardcore=tedium. Reputation grinds, extremely difficult attunement quest. Dungeon competitiveness as unless you got a gold medal you didn't get jack shit. So the first wipe usually meant disbanding. Awful.

All of the above is pretty bad. However,the future seems cautiously optimistic. Everyone seems to be super excited about the upcoming Fourth Content Patch (Drop 4) Which adresses a lot of people's concerns they had with the game and weren't so easy to fix.

A lot of the hardcore hardcore stuff has been toned down significently. The 40 man raid has been repurposed to a 20 man raid so it's way more manegeable and is in line wiht most public events (which are for 20+ players)

The Attunement quest got cut down, the dungeon rewards system got changed up. (Higher medal gives more amounts of loot, but even with no medal you still get worthwile amount of loot). They've really been listening to the feedback in the last couple of months and caused me to subscribe again. (Didn't play for 4-5'ish months I think, WoD was fun)

I really really personally hope Wildstar can turn things around in 2015. The changes upcoming are great, and the combat system is (imo awesome, but I get why people wouldn't like it either). A wonderful art style, awesome races and world.

I really hope NcSoft doesn't pull the plug anytime soon like some of their other games and gives them enough time to Carbine to prove. It would be a shame for Wildstar to go under. It definitly had/has some major flaws, but it's by no means a bad game at all.

Forgot this gem indeed that's why i went back to WoW just because this game is a huge mess.

Oh yeah here is the attunement list...insanity..

http://i.imgur.com/hXVKHdJ.jpg

How did Forza Horizon 2 sell? Last time I heard it wasn't doing too well.

The real bombas this year seem to be Lords of Shadow 2, Soul Suspect, Thief, LBP3 and *sniff* Bayonetta 2.

BedBison

Neo Member
Murdered; Soul Suspect Bombed pretty hard. If I remember right the reviews were pretty terrible and most people forgot about the game within a few weeks. I doubt it sold more than 500k.

I tend to understand bomba as a title performing below the publisher's expectations.

If Nintendo expected Bayonetta to perform better than it did, they were blind. The writing's been on the wall for that one for years.

Castlevania seems a better candidate to me.

stn

Lots of the titles listed are not bombas. Call Of Duty isn't a bomba just because its selling less than the previous title, especially if the current one is still selling fine on its own merit. Based on what I've seen:

The Elder Scrolls Online
Bayonetta 2
D4 (XBLA)
Thief
Murdered: Soul Suspect

Surprised no one has mentioned kinect sports rivals. KS1 and 2 sold millions where as when I picked up KS rivals a few weeks after launch I was ranked in the top 1500 after doing the tutorials lol.

It's the games you don't hear about that bombed and I'm fairly certain this game bombed big time.

Top Bottom