• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

gray_fox224

Starting to see those "bluish" checkered patterns while playing my Elite. Seems like the GPU is about to bite the dust.

Will Microsoft send me another console or do I have to wait until the complete red ring?

bigswords

nightez said:
What's the GAF consensus on the the best way to keep the xbox ventilated and preventing RROD?

I've heard the vertical position gives the best air flow. Plus i've been told the soldering on GPU (graphics chip) tends to come loose on the motherboard models. When the 360 is used in the horizontal position, that GPU hangs upside down, possibly causing the GPU to become easily dislodged enough to cause an RROD faster. For best results, use the 360 in the vertical position instead.

I'll go with vertical, as with horizontal if you noticed. The bottom of the console is really hot (that's where the gpu is), putting it vertically will allow more cool air to cool the bottom of the GPU.

But honestly if the 360 wants to die, it will die no matter how much protection and babying you do. But the falcons are much improved (RROD percentage).

bigswords

gray_fox224 said:
Starting to see those "bluish" checkered patterns while playing my Elite. Seems like the GPU is about to bite the dust.

Will Microsoft send me another console or do I have to wait until the complete red ring?

Honestly I don't think they will check, just say it RRod and sent it away.

Oozer3993

I was playing a game in Madden 09 the other day when I tried to save a highlight. This froze the console completely. I rebooted and it stuck on the rotating X sphere. When I removed the hard drive it worked flawlessly and booted up several times in a row. I put the hard drive back on and got it to boot up and called it a day. My little sister got DDRU2 and it has apparently been freezing every time she tries to choose the hard drive to save too. This is a hard drive failure right?

I bought a new 60gb but I wanted to ask a few questions before tearing into the packaging. I'm going to send away for a transfer kit in the hopes I'll get the old HDD to work long enough to clone. Is it ok to start saving things on the 60gb drive now and then do the transfer later? And will the transfer even work with the 60gb? I've heard the new transfer kits support 20->60 migration.

Oozer3993 said:
Is it ok to start saving things on the 60gb drive now and then do the transfer later? And will the transfer even work with the 60gb? I've heard the new transfer kits support 20->60 migration.

The transfer kit works 20 -> 60, BUT

it erases everything on the target drive. So if you start using the 60 and then do the transfer later, you will erase everything you've put on the 60 and replace it with what was on the 20. And the 20 will be totally blank afterwards.

BitchTits

Got my 360 back today. Sent it on 22nd Dec, I think that's pretty good timing especially over the holidays.

Is there anything I should look out for to see if the replacement unit has anything special about it? The manufacturing date on the back is 2008/11/02.

BitchTits said:
Got my 360 back today. Sent it on 22nd Dec, I think that's pretty good timing especially over the holidays.

Is there anything I should look out for to see if the replacement unit has anything special about it? The manufacturing date on the back is 2008/11/02.

identifying.jpg

The split in the bar means you have the newest model.

Xenon

Well it looks like Xbox #3 is DOA... Long live #4!!!

I may hold out to see if the Elites drop in price. Im forced to go to best buy since that is where I got the 360 and the replacement plan.

Thankfully I have LPB to play for a while.

I think my poor baby is dying. I've had it for two years now, and I've survived some close calls (gotten 3 rings only to have it continue to work flawlessly). In fact, I don't think I've ever had any freezing issues before; however, last night while playing Dead Space I had it freeze up 3 times and after the third reboot it froze on the dashboard with a small checkerboard pattern.

I know it's dying, I've accepted this. My question is this, should I wait for the refurb unit to come or go out and buy an Arcade to slap my HD on? I really hate the idea of a refurb, but would I be that much better offf with a new Arcade that it'd be worth the $200 and peace of mind?

Thanks in advance.

tirant

MaizeRage25 said:
I think my poor baby is dying. I've had it for two years now, and I've survived some close calls (gotten 3 rings only to have it continue to work flawlessly). In fact, I don't think I've ever had any freezing issues before; however, last night while playing Dead Space I had it freeze up 3 times and after the third reboot it froze on the dashboard with a small checkerboard pattern.

I know it's dying, I've accepted this. My question is this, should I wait for the refurb unit to come or go out and buy an Arcade to slap my HD on? I really hate the idea of a refurb, but would I be that much better offf with a new Arcade that it'd be worth the $200 and peace of mind?

Thanks in advance.

Get the refurb, sell it and buy an arcade.

EctoPrime

I got my xbox back, sadly it looks like they might have just patched up my busted unit and sent it back to me. Going by this thread machines from 06 dont tend to live very long after being "fixed". They probably replaced the disc drive aswell, I dont recall it being that shiny when I sent it.

Psychotext said:
Considerably more reliable so far... things still break though. :lol

Of course. Been doing some reading up on the new Jasper model with the internal storage.

2 completely idiotic quesions:

(1) I can use my old 20GB HDD on the new arcade units?

and

(2) I read the Arcades don't come with component cables. Will I be able to use my old components to output in HD?

Are there any other issues with the Arcades that I should be aware of?

Thanks, guys.

EDIT:

EctoPrime said:
I got my xbox back, sadly it looks like they might have just patched up my busted unit and sent it back to me. Going by this thread machines from 06 dont tend to live very long after being "fixed". They probably replaced the disc drive aswell, I dont recall it being that shiny when I sent it.

This is definitely my concern.

MaizeRage25 said:
(1) I can use my old 20GB HDD on the new arcade units?

and

(2) I read the Arcades don't come with component cables. Will I be able to use my old components to output in HD?
Yes and yes.

desverger

My launch-day box died just at the end of last year. I think some heatsink dislodged or something like that, I can keep the box on for 5-10 minutes while playing something, then it overheats and RRODs.

Since it was over 3 years old I just bit the bullet and went to buy a new elite. From the looks of things I got a Falcon.

Something worth of note though, I borrowed a memory card and transferred my saved games and other stuff to the new xbox with that, saved me from buying that transfer kit. Actually that thing worked really well, only thing I couldn't copy was my Fable 2 save.

Zutroy

I just got the RRoD, less than 24 hours of receiving the Xbox! It's a second hand core console, so I expected it to not last very long, but I wasn't expecting it to die this quickly! I'm kinda glad though. I bought it really cheap thinking it would die soon enough, and then I could send it in and get a more reliable version. Going through customer service wasn't very fun though. Foreigner talking to foreigner certainly prolongs the conversation.

So if I understood correctly, I have to ship it via UPS? Also, is the label they email you to put on the box the same one you can print off Xbox.com, because I don't think he got my email address right as I've still not received anything.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
My Elite from 2007 died on New Year's Day. It had been locking up on Left 4 Dead for weeks, then it finally gave me the RROD. I called MS that day and still waiting for my coffin.

This will make 360 number 7 for me. Atleast I don't have to pay for another one.

itxaka

Defeatist
My xbox didn't die, but the controller that come with it just broke.

Probably it was me, while moving it to my work and such, but MS just told me they are sending a new one, and I can keep the old one!

The only problem wth the old one is that LB doesn't do the "click" and works 6/10 times.

They are awesome, no explanations, no problems, no sending back, no shit.

Mine died last night.... 3rd freaking time.

Not happy, but at least it's free. so I gotta ship it out. I was right in the middle of a good firefight in Farcry2 online too!!! Dammit!

ph15h

Neo Member
In total... I've had 2 360s.

My original launch premium one (aka not the stupid core bundle)... Worked fine for 9 months or so then BLAM. Died. I'm not even sure if it was RROD since RROD wasn't even that famous then. I don't mind it, I just let it sit there for a few weeks since I just bought the wii and my original ps3 in '06. I get it fixed by some game tech guy around here, then it dies 2 month later. I'm thinking he messed up or Maybe I just have a defective one, after the guy thoroughly assures me he did all he could I decide the shits just defective. I buy an entirely new one after a few months of saving up, selling the old Premium online as "As Is". I just buy a core one since I kept the harddrive :p... but then it dies a few months later. One month before the warranty thing was announced. I'm mad. I'm pissed. I was tired of the 360 and so I sold it As Is once again, giving my cousin my harddrive since he paid for my repairs that one time... 2 weeks after I shipped it to the buyer Microsoft announces their billion dollar warranty extension -_-

Those months are a rough estimate. it hurts too much to remember the dates :(

I'll buy another one some day... Probably a new elite but I don't know.

dave_d

BitchTits said:
Thanks. No split in the bar, looks like a first generation. Well, at least everything is working fine, for now!

So is there a little plastic nub in the center(Which xenons have) or is there nothing? Just curious since I was under the impression that at this point most of the refurbs for Xenons are Opus machines.

PJX

Ok quick question for everyone. This has happened twice in two days to me. I think maybe its just Ninja Gaiden but even then its never frozen on me when I played it from the disc. I have it installed and its played fine but it froze on me yesterday and today but only froze when I died and when the continue screen came up. The funny thing thou is that once I opened the DVD drive with my media remote it unfroze and of course went back to the dashboard. Has anyone had problems with installed games freezing, particularly NG2?

Mine hasn't red-ringed but I'm pretty sure my av ports are fucked. The console turns on fine and the controller even syncs but I get no image or sound. I was just playing it this morning and it was fine but when I woke up nothing comes on screen. I thought it may be the hdmi cable but I plugged it into my PS3 and it works fine. Then I tried the component/composite and neither get any image/sound either. This sucks. I bought the console Nov 07 or so from Costco but I don't have the 20gb hdd or the games it came with anymore so I can't just take it back =(

WingM@n

My 360 ('s) has rrod'ed for the 6th (!) time just before the hollidays. I haven't bothered yet to call MS. I am simply fed up.
Last time I got em back it worked a few days, then my disc-tray stopped closing automaticly . Had to push it back in manually. Day before christmas, it rrod'ed .

My 360's have traveled more the last 18 months than I did. The lucky basterd!

I just did the online e-label to get my console repaired. I had no idea but apparently my warrant ends Jan. 15th so I guess it's better that it broke now than in a week.

tanod

when is my burrito
desa said:
This happened to me two weeks ago. I was playing Dead Rising and the same exact thing happened. I restarted several times only to get frozen either at boot up or some point in navigating the dashboard.

I got it working a few days later (it'll probably happened again lol i hope not).

Here's what I did.

Unplug everything including the hard drive.
Let it sit for a day.
Connect everything back.
Boot and do the hard drive maintenance (X, X, Left shoulder, X, X, Right shoulder)
Restart your console.

If it's not working then it could be corrupted data on your hard drive from the game that frozed. Sadly, you might just have to delete your LO save. Or maybe back it up and transfer it back. If that doesn't work, then you might have to reformat your entire hard drive.

And if that doesn't work, well fuck you microsoft!

It first locked up and red-ringed on the dashboard. It froze on both Lost Odyssey AND Gears of War without the HDD in. Pretty sure my console is just fucked. Plus, already submitted warranty claim.

kurahadol

Ok, so it looks like my 360 just bit the dust. But it's not an RRoD. I was sitting down and watching a video when suddenly the colors went inverted and grainy. I went back to the dashboard and the colors stayed the same. I figured something must've messed up and could be fixed with a restart. Rebooted the 360, no signal is being sent at all. I wondered if it was the HDMI cable or the TV, so I tried the HDMI cable with my PS3 and everything worked fine. I then tried using the component and composite options with my 360 and only got audio, no video whatsoever.

Is this a common problem? What are my options at this point, I've had my 360 for about a year or so and I'm sure this isn't covered under the 3 year RRoD warranty.

alterno69

Banned
My 360 died today, first i was about to play FIFA and the screen froze and a bunch of squares appeared on it, like when a GPU dies. I restarted the console and same result. Restarted again and 3 red lights of dead show up. Unplugged everything and same results.

This console is an Elite i bought over 2 years ago, in August 2007. Never had any probles before.

Also worth noting is the fact that my console was unused for like a month while i was on vacations and now is dead.

I can't say i'm too bummed about it cause i've been playing more on my PS3 for a while, i just hope i don't start doing this more often like many people have once they start getting refurbished systems.

bluemax

Banned
My 360 hasn't died yet BUT this weekend two games that I had been playing just fine both got DREs. One of the two games I'd been playing for over a month with no problems, then it got DREs about a week ago and then they went away until resurfacing on Saturday.

Both games are used but I had no problems with either until now. Is this a sign that my 360 is going bad? I'm afraid to play any other games now because of this.

voltron

So get this, I send my elite off for repair and get it back yesterday. Now all my fucking installed games wont work. I have to delete and reinstall, negating hours of goddam work.

and yes I double checked, its my original console that I sent off as it has the same serial number.

So stupidly annoying.

I have a question:

After playing The Last Remnant for a while I got a error message saying it couldn't read the disc, so I took it out and the disc is scratched to fuck, and won't read at all now. I then treied another disc, which worked but the disc drive is making a strange noise, like a buzzing or something.

Im scared to play any more games now in case it fucks any more discs. Does anyone have any experience of this?

RiverBed

Banned
I will be buying a Jasper and I would feel much better if there are no reported RRoD cases with it. also, someone told me Falcon is safe to. are there any RRoD-ed Falcons?

I'll be getting a Jasper just in case. I'll buy it 5 or 6 months from now. if by that time we get Valhala (sp?) news coming out soon, I'll wait for that one. but I think I am safe with a Jasper. right?

X26

Banned
X26 said:
I turned it on just now and got a black screen with a lot of white dots twitching around. My uneducated guess says the gpu is dead, and because I don't have the 3RL I imagine I'm not covered by any warranty?

I was hoping it would eventually red ring, but after 2 weeks there is no change. I've overheated it twice on purpose to see if it made a difference, and it didn't., as well as unplugged/plugged everything back in, tried it on another TV, etc. etc. Nothing.

It sucks that the warranty doesn't apply to this problem, from what I've read it seems pretty common as far as dead 360's go. This is the first console I've ever had die on me and hate the thought of giving MS any more of my money, but I got a lot of use out of my 360 with games/media, so I'll probably just go ahead and buy a core soon....ugh.

Tonight, after a 2 hour session of Tales of Vesperia, I turned off my Elite and it red-ringed for the very first time. I watched the flashing lights for a minute and then hit the power button on the console. I waited about 60 seconds and turned it on again only to see the RROD again. I turned off the console, waited about two minutes and then turned it back on.

It's working now, but does this guarantee that my 360 is on it's death bed? I'm not incredibly concerned as I have a Best Buy warranty. I just want to know for sure if this is a sign.

Well, about a year and a half ago, my first-gen 360 red-ringed. I shut it off, turned it on an hour later, and it was fine. Didn't actually die of red-ring until last month. So if your system recovered, it may be quite a while before it red rings again.

number1jagsfan said:
...but the disc drive is making a strange noise, like a buzzing or something.

Im scared to play any more games now in case it fucks any more discs. Does anyone have any experience of this?
It's not particularly common these days, but some drives have seen known to scratch discs. Sounds like yours is one of them.

Usual Disclaimer: If I can't tell when your 360 died / was replaced, you aren't included in the figures. That's basically anyone that just posted to say that their 360 died last year some time or they've had x dead 360s and gave no more information. Also, if you posted to say your 360 was acting up and never came back to confirm its death / shipment / getting a new one... you aren't included either.

Don't forget that NPD US numbers are simply included to give a rough idea of how many 360s are out there for each particular month.

3163xnm.png

In the figures so far are 1349 dead / replaced 360s, 32 of which were falcon models.

This Month
RRoD: 28
Other Red Light: 6
Video: 4
Drive: 2
Multiple: 1

3 of the 5 refurb failures were due to RRoD.

Overall Falcon Issues
1RL: 7
DOA: 5
Freezing: 1
RRoD: 15
Video: 4

Top Bottom