• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UHD 4KTV Future is here for $499.99 by CHANGHONG... WUT!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jams775

In 2002 Apex sold 2 million Changhong TV sets in the US.

Oh snap I still have my old Apex tube TV I got back around that time. I remember getting it because it was a CRT TV that looked flat and had an S-Video input. As an amazing feature that I'd end up using over 10 years later, it also has composite OUT. So I can use it as a monitor while i record my retro games on my computer!

I guess it's true what they say.

You can't go wrong with a Changhong

This guy is such a Real Murrican it hurts. He even unironically has a bald eagle wallpaper.

All you need to do is go into Nvidia Control Panel, go to Change Resolution, scroll down to the PC resolutions, and select 3840 x 2160 and refresh rate 60hz. The Nvidia drivers will do the rest.

What exactly is 4:2:0 chroma subsampling that you mentioned earlier? Video made sense, but where is the forum thread the fool in the video was talking about?

J-Rzez

Just like Vizio, they have an odd price considering the bigger players like Sony/Samsung/LG all have models that have consistently sold for months around the $1500 mark in a 55". Samsung's 40" (while meh) was ~$500 on black friday.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Cyriades

Are those videos supposed to be showing a problem with Mortal Kombat? Because 30fps and 60fps in the same game aren't supposed to be different speeds at all.

A low screen refresh rate will make the game feel sluggish(mouse lag etc)... well, that's what they say

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A low screen refresh rate will make the game feel sluggish(mouse lag etc)... well, that's what they say

Not the same thing at all. That's just a delay, not anything actually moving slower.

I guarantee 4K content comes into its own before OLED is the least bit affordable. This is probably the year 4K becomes viable - especially considering Netflix and Amazon Originals are basically 4K moving forward since late last year.

Amazon doing 4k is basically equivalent of the earliest HD disc, which ran on wmv format and was incompatable with nothing else. It had a glorious collection consist of Terminator and Island Fever 3.

freddy

Banned
I found with cheaper sets, a lot only shine when you can get into the hidden "technician" settings with a code. Opens up a crapload of extra options. Bought a cheap brand with a Samsung panel for my shed and the reds were bleeding everywhere with limited options, but now its as good as the main set almost.

TAJ

Amazon doing 4k is basically equivalent of the earliest HD disc, which ran on wmv format and was incompatable with nothing else. It had a glorious collection consist of Terminator and Island Fever 3.

I have another one. Standing In The Shadows Of Motown. There were others. Some surf one, I think. Step Into Liquid?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Don't think it matters. 4k is 2x 1080p and 3x 720p. Scaling should be simole, no?

It shouldn't look worse than 720p or 1080p TV of the same size. In fact, wouldn't it look better than a 1080p TV for 720p content? Unless maybe it had some fancy interpolation algorithm to try and make the 720p content better?
You'd think so. I mean, it makes sense, but that is most definitely not the case. The scalers in those TV make such a fucked up job they are actually ruining your picture quality.

Stick to Full HD sets if you only plan to watch Blu-ray discs. Affordable TVs with much better innards will be on sale by the time 4K is the norm. This is just a terrible way of burning your money.

Syriel

Amazon should be doing HEVC which is the consumer 4K standard.

Not quite the same.

Cyriades

Yuck.

You can do 4K/60 with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling over HDMI 1.4 if you have an Nvidia card Kepler or Maxwell card (Geforce 600, 700, 800, 900 series), that's what I do on my TV. Native res or bust!

Okay, I was looking at some comparisons

Roboto_Comparison_400x.png

Hair_Comparison_400x.png

Text is were 4:2:0 is really apparent.

4:4:4
rgbk3olr.png

4:2:0
yuv420amq5v.png

Cyriades

now that is interesting. I wonder if this is apparent in gaming moreso than with video media. always wanted to see comparisons of this in motion.

It looks like text would suffer more. Although you lose color accuracy of 4:4:4 you gain 60 frames per second video media.

As a PC monitor this would be undesirable but for movies and gaming it would be hard to see unless looking for it.

It looks like text would suffer more. Although you lose color accuracy of 4:4:4 you gain 60 frames per second video media.

As a PC monitor this would be undesirable but for movies and gaming it would be hard to see unless looking for it.

But for movies you only need 4k@24, so no need in sacrificing color accuracy. TV shows are at what 30fps? Nothing on video is at 60fps, except very few 48 fps movies. Gaming is a whole other matter.

Cyriades

But for movies you only need 4k@24, so no need in sacrificing color accuracy. TV shows are at what 30fps? Nothing on video is at 60fps, except very few 48 fps movies. Gaming is a whole other matter.

True. I'll be watching movies at 30 frames and gaming at 60 frames

Not everyone is as pedantic as the next person when it comes to picture quality. Most people just want the biggest screen they can get for their money and if they know one has a new technology or generational change they'll buy it. In this case, 4k, large screen, low price = what they'll go with.

I bought a 50 inch element on black friday a couple years back. Thing still works awesome.

Cyriades

Just ordered the 49"

I'm going to do the 1440p at 60z resolution

Got the display today as of now I cant do any refresh changes. Nvidia control panel says native 1080p ... but the display is 4k and plays 4k movies fine. I can set 4k in the control but its not native. I think this is the main reason I can't do 1440p or 4k@60fps 4:2:0. Nvidia see's this as a 1080p monitor.

Also, Nvidia gives the display this name "MStar Demo"

What's going on?

Got the display today as of now I cant do any refresh changes. Nvidia control panel says native 1080p ... but the display is 4k and plays 4k movies fine. I can set 4k in the control but its not native. I think this is the main reason I can't do 1440p or 4k@60fps 4:2:0. Nvidia see's this as a 1080p monitor.

What's going on?

Time to ask Blame Space

FeyVkC5.png

Syriel

Newegg must have misread the translation. If this TV supports 4k via HDMI it has to be 1.4 or 2.0

HDMI 1.3 max res 2560×1600

HDMI 1.4 max res 4096×2160

HDCP 2.2 is the key requirement. If the display doesn't have that, it won't ever connect to a media player for playback of external 4K licensed content.

Why? Because anything less is currently trivial to break.

What's going on?

MStar is one of the major Chinese OEM players. They make internals for many devices. Most likely the TV has an MStar board inside and you're just seeing the name that is exposed by the chipset because they didn't bother to customize it.

dodgeme

I just could not in my mind buy a TV without a decent brand name. Being something that is the key component of my Home Theater setup, I feel that the investment should be made in something decent.

It is sometimes possible that something really cheap is just as good.
A lot of brands from poorer countries that aren't well known, will sell things cheaper.

I don't know much about Changhong, though.

Cyriades

HDCP 2.2 is the key requirement. If the display doesn't have that, it won't ever connect to a media player for playback of external 4K licensed content.

Why? Because anything less is currently trivial to break.

MStar is one of the major Chinese OEM players. They make internals for many devices. Most likely the TV has an MStar board inside and you're just seeing the name that is exposed by the chipset because they didn't bother to customize it.

Just posted my EDID issue on Nvidia forums. There's a 10 page thread with people having the same issue with any and every brand.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ivers-newest-windows-7-drivers-do-not-dete/1/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom