• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox becoming more prominent in Windows

Lazaro

Unless already mentioned,

The current Xbox App in Windows 8/8.1 is just a hub to see your achievements and Xbox Live friends. The original Xbox App on Windows 8 (NOT 8.1) allowed Avatar customization. The current hub is also currently based on the 360 Live architecture.

I'd imagine the Xbox App in Windows 10 is not much different other than being an update of what I mentioned above but based on the Xbox One Live Architecture.

The Xbox App in Windows 8.1 is kind of pointless so I'm hoping theres a lot more to the Xbox App in Windows 10, other than from just being a "hub".

Microsoft's new game studio Decisive Games is working on a "beloved strategy game for windows and Xbox.

"Sizzle + VP: Be part of Microsoft Game Studios, and help us create the next-generation of awesome games for Windows and Xbox!

Team: The Decisive Games team is focused on world class strategy game development, and is building a studio that will bring the next installment in a beloved strategy game franchise to the next generation of gamers around the world. This is a highly-collaborative, agile team, with a play-centric approach to game development.

Role: As a generalist game development engineer, you will be expected to play a variety of roles on the team and contribute to solving engineering problems in many areas, but with an emphasis on client-side rendering and UI development."

Creating a next generation of awesome games but being equally focused on Windows? Seems a lot like Universal coding, as in developing this game on PC and being able to run on XB1, or being able to cross-play with Windows and Xbox

Matter of fact, a lot of job vacancies out there for MS Game Studios/Xbox team right now are referencing PC in some way

What does Windows and Xbox integration really mean? Stream games from your console to Windows?

No one really knows, we assume it might be at least second screen gaming between the systems much like a tablet and console.

It is rumoured that there is a Streaming platform in development at Microsoft but we don't know the specifics.

On a OS level the XBox One's OS is a stripped down basic Windows 8 kernel, combine that with the PC like x86 chip architecture it should be easier to port games to a PC or at least local streaming.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Maybe Win10 will be the closed always online game platform that they wanted the One to be.

Windows 10 would be dead in the water from backlash + developers jumping to Lin--er--"Steam OS" to get away from that after how many people hated Games for Windows Live.

SPDIF

Probably brought up..

But couldn't this also be about bringing more of Windows to the Xbox?

Specifically, anything that runs under the Windows RT API (the "metro" side of Windows 8). Not automatically per say, but have a way to certify apps for running on Xbox (need controller support, need to be tested on XBO memory//CPU)

Yes that's one of the big things that Windows 10 is bringing. Universal apps, where a developer can write an app once and have it run everywhere (Windows phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, and the XB1). So a lot more apps (and games that run as apps) coming to the XB1 is one of the things you can expect once Windows 10 actually releases. Hopefully anyway, because of course MS could severely handicap the idea by heavily curating the content that goes up on the store. Which would be a mistake in my opinion.

They will have 360 and One exclusive ports to PC I think

360 heavy hitters like
Gears of War 2
Dead Rising 1
Lost Odyssey

And a few One exclusives
Sunset Overdrive
Master Chief Collection

To start it off with that would be great.

Can't wait for the Win 10 reveal thread. Will be fun

ZpIw6WC.gif

Sunset Overdrive, MCC, and Killer Instince I have a feeling are all coming.

Mostly because they've all been rumored to be now for months. Plus with Spencer being there.

Miles X

Microsoft's new game studio Decisive Games is working on a "beloved strategy game for windows and Xbox.

"Sizzle + VP: Be part of Microsoft Game Studios, and help us create the next-generation of awesome games for Windows and Xbox!

Team: The Decisive Games team is focused on world class strategy game development, and is building a studio that will bring the next installment in a beloved strategy game franchise to the next generation of gamers around the world. This is a highly-collaborative, agile team, with a play-centric approach to game development.

Role: As a generalist game development engineer, you will be expected to play a variety of roles on the team and contribute to solving engineering problems in many areas, but with an emphasis on client-side rendering and UI development."

Creating a next generation of awesome games but being equally focused on Windows? Seems a lot like Universal coding, as in developing this game on PC and being able to run on XB1, or being able to cross-play with Windows and Xbox

Matter of fact, a lot of job vacancies out there for MS Game Studios/Xbox team right now are referencing PC in some way

New thread?

Toski

Mostly because they've all been rumored to be now for months. Plus with Spencer being there.

Only way I see this happening is if Microsoft makes an Xbox game store on Windows 10 as a Steam competitor. I wonder if that would also open up cross-platform play and get games like FFXIV:ARR on the Xbox One.

Only way I see this happening is if Microsoft makes an Xbox game store on Windows 10 as a Steam competitor. I wonder if that would also open up cross-platform play and get games like FFXIV:ARR on the Xbox One.

This would be huge, and something they hinted at even on the Xbox 360.

Sydle

First we're hearing about this new team?

I wonder if it's Age of Empires or Rise of Nations.

Idk maybe, but PC is becoming a bigger and bigger market for games, Steam keeps shattering its own simultaneous users all the time. There is no way MS doesn't want to be part of that pie, especially considering Windows.

Not to mention there is some pretty heavy rumors about the 3 games I mentioned. I mean hell, the devs themselves just polled the community asking if they want KI on PC.

Hubble

If Microsoft implemented cross-buy, if you buy a game on Xbox One, you get it for PC would bring competition to Steam.

If Microsoft implemented cross-buy, if you buy a game on Xbox One, you get it for PC would bring competition to Steam.

There's no reason why they couldn't, but for some reason Microsoft always felt their own PC platform would cannibalize their console sales. I never understood why they felt that way.

There's no reason why they couldn't, but for some reason Microsoft always felt their own PC platform would cannibalize their console sales. I never understood why they felt that way.

I've always found it strange how they abandoned PC for Xbox as well. That being said I think the growth / strength of the current PC market may be changing their minds on this.

I've always found it strange how they abandoned PC for Xbox as well. That being said I think the growth / strength of the current PC market may be changing their minds on this.

With their recent fumbling of the Xbone, I really don't think they have any other choice but to dip into the PC market.

Synth

Xbox Live Gold.

If they had managed to pull off the Live Gold sub on PC back when they initially attempted, you'd be looking at a very different level of focus on PC software from MS right now.

injurai

Banned
Windows 10 would be dead in the water from backlash + developers jumping to Lin--er--"Steam OS" to get away from that after how many people hated Games for Windows Live.

I'm only talking about Microsoft distributed services. It would do nothing to prevent Steam from being on windows. Nothing else would change, other than an additional application level service which would be served up by microsoft.

I don't think it will happen, but the way it would work I really don't see too much backlash resulting. It would basically be Steam or Origin but a Microsoft variant.

Toski

Xbox Live Gold.

If they had managed to pull off the Live Gold sub on PC back when they initially attempted, you'd be looking at a very different level of focus on PC software from MS right now.

The reason MS didn't put ports on PC past Gears 1 was because PC players weren't going to pay for Gold.

Unless there is an Xbox store with cross play and cross buy, I think MS is just wasting their time.

The reason MS didn't put ports on PC past Gears 1 was because PC players weren't going to pay for Gold.

Unless there is an Xbox store with cross play and cross buy, I think MS is just wasting their time.

IDK about that, stuff like Steam has also drastically cut down on piracy which was something that used to scare devs. Its much safer for them to launch games on PC now and see profits. Obviously piracty still exists but for games software its down from where it was.

I mean pretty much all major games now days are releasing on PC. Even stuff like Metal Gear Solid V are coming day and date. PC is becoming a massive force and I'm sure MS wants in on that one way or another.

Edit: I do agree with you about the Gold subscription, I was responding to it being a waste of time to start a PC focus.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good outcome (any of these): apps and games that work on Windows Phone/10/Xbone, cross-buy and cross-play; native OG Xbox emulation on Windows 10; overhauled Xbox app on Windows 10 allowing spectating mode, editing of videos, and full smartglass usability.

Bad outcome: GFWL 2.0, any of the above initiatives I mentioned are dropped after a couple of months after introduction.

Toski

IDK about that, stuff like Steam has also drastically cut down on piracy which was something that used to scare devs. Its much safer for them to launch games on PC now and see profits. Obviously piracty still exists but for games software its down from where it was.

I mean pretty much all major games now days are releasing on PC. Even stuff like Metal Gear Solid V are coming day and date. PC is becoming a massive force and I'm sure MS wants in on that one way or another.

Edit: I do agree with you about the Gold subscription, I was responding to it being a waste of time to start a PC focus.

The same could be said for Sony, although I guess PSNow is their post console plans. I don't think MS is fond of giving Valve 30% when they don't pay any software royalties on the hardware they produce. Only way I see Halo:MCC and future Microsoft X1 games on Steam is if MS strikes a deal with Valve to stop SteamOS from launching, and I don't see that happening.

Having an Xbox store on Windows 10 is still putting those games on PC. If they do this, there wont be a Live gold fee since they're competing with Steam, Origin, GoG, etc.

Freeman

Banned

If they are porting all those games I think Forza will be ported as well, it showed up in a DX12 presentation, running on PC if I remember correctly.

To MS it shouldn't matter much if someone is playing their games on windows or Xbox, Windows is much more important to them in the long run and if those games help push the Windows Store as a game storefront they'll likely gain much more from it while taking a much smaller risk.

I wish Windows10 had a native UI and support for a gamepad, would make things easier.

The same could be said for Sony, although I guess PSNow is their post console plans. I don't think MS is fond of giving Valve 30% when they don't pay any software royalties on the hardware they produce. Only way I see Halo:MCC and future Microsoft X1 games on Steam is if MS strikes a deal with Valve to stop SteamOS from launching, and I don't see that happening.

Having an Xbox store on Windows 10 is still putting those games on PC. If they do this, there wont be a Live gold fee since they're competing with Steam, Origin, GoG, etc.

Yeah I don't disagree, I never said I think 1st party games are coming to Steam, I just used Steam as an example of how much PC gaming is surging.

I for sure think we are going to get some MS games on PC soon, how they distribute them no idea but an Xbox Marketplace on Windows 10 makes a lot of sense.

Duxxy3

If those three were announced for PC I would sell my XB1 the next day. That's an abandon ship moment for me.

Have there been legitimate rumors for SSOD to come to PC? I've seen plenty of port-begging for it, but I haven't seen any legitimate evidence to suggest it's a possibility.

I haven't seen anything legitimate regarding KI to PC, either.
edit: Forgot about KI poll.

I could see Halo MCC (some crumbs have been found online for that).

Valve doesn't like MS.
If MS went the route of really opening up the Xbox One to Windows programs/apps, I'm not sure how they could stop a Steam app from being able to run on the Xbox One. I would love to see MS really get open and allow Xbox One's to become a relatively affordable PC for the TV (in addition to it being a console that plays native Xbox One games).

I personally don't think MS will be that open with the system with Windows 10, but I also don't think Valve could do much to stop a Steam app from coming to the system if MS really wanted it there. I also don't see why Valve would care that much (more money for them)...to them it'd just be another PC running Steam. Win for them.

At best it will be a Smartglass companion thing, but I would pay XL to play X1 games on the PC.

I don't have high hopes after seeing GFWL, though.

iavi

Have there been legitimate rumors for SSOD to come to PC? I've seen plenty of port-begging for it, but I haven't seen any legitimate evidence to suggest it's a possibility.

MCC, Sunset Overdrive and FH2 had PC listings on Amazon

Leflus

They made a poll on their forums regarding a potential PC port of KI.

Driveclub, Killzone and Infamous had PC listings as well. It doesn't mean anything.

In the US? Considering how many fake/non-existent games have been listed on sites (including Amazon...Killzone and Driveclub were even listed before, I think?), I don't know if this is really evidence of...anything.

They made a poll on their forums regarding a potential PC port of KI.

Ahh, thanks I did hear about that. Slipped my mind.

Jomjom

Banned
Xbox is pretty much their only "cool" brand so it's pretty obvious that Microsoft is trying to inject that "coolness" into their other products by doing this.

roytheone

There was also this ad for sunset overdrive on PC:http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sunset-overdrive-for-pc-ad-was-a-simple-mistake-mi/1100-6423185/

Anyway, I do have a little fate in a new PC push from Microsoft. As far as I know PC gaming now falls under another division then back when the gfwl disaster happened. I am willing to give these new guys a shot.

Kezen

Banned
Which is it? Would it kill their xbox, or would it bomb? You literally can't play both sides here.

It would be successful and damaging to the Xbox One if they just ported them without shoehorning a new GFWL garbage. If they want to go down the GFWL2.0 route this will bomb.

That's why I don't expect them to port any of their big console release on PC.

If they really want to merge Windows and Xbox by bringing more Games to PC or transforming the PC into an "Xbox emulator" there will be even less need for the box itself.
Sounds nearly like a neat strategy to get out of the console business and keep the brand.
Maybe the One really was the last one.

Dunno if it was that same studio, but I could swear I've already seen a job offer like this last year, but it was only for Pc.

I'm very positive games having the option to be a universal app is a given, I'm waiting for 21st merely for the details on how they will be bringing Xbox online features to Pc.

I would like Age of Mythology

deleted

I'd like to play the MCC if they plan to bring it over - but only if it is not like their first GfWL try with a Gold subscription.

I won't pay to play online, but it'd be nice to be able to party chat with the guys I know that only have and xbox 360/one.

Ushay

I'm not getting my hopes up too much. Optimistically I can see them implementing;

- Streaming to tablets/PC's for Xbox One
- A new OS rebuilt using W10 code, app compatibility for Xbox One, app for W10
- And as a long shot prediction I'd say a new Xbox branded digital store for W10 only with exclusive games being made only for windows ie Rise of Nations for example with some cross platform games included --> Killer Instinct! (yeah I wish..)

Honestly I'm more interested in what they do for Windows Phone next iteration, will they leapfrog the competition or just straddle 2 paces behind as usual? Who knows.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they really want to merge Windows and Xbox by bringing more Games to PC or transforming the PC into an "Xbox emulator" there will be even less need for the box itself.
Sounds nearly like a neat strategy to get out of the console business and keep the brand.
Maybe the One really was the last one.

Nah. They could bring the Xbox brand to windows, using first party games PC games as a way to counter steam OS, keeping people in the windows ecosystem. And the Xbox would effectively be their steam box - the friendly, living room box that you can play your games on and access your media and keep in touch with people.

I could see that working pretty well.

Lynn616

I don't think they are going to start taking exclusives away from the X1. They want people to buy the system.

Nah. They could bring the Xbox brand to windows, using first party games PC games as a way to counter steam OS, keeping people in the windows ecosystem. And the Xbox would effectively be their steam box - the friendly, living room box that you can play your games on and access your media and keep in touch with people.

I could see that working pretty well.

Then the X1 sales would take a huge hit and MS would lose out on millions in 3rd party game sales and Live subscriptions. Do that to counter SteamOS? That is not a threat in the slightest.

Xbudz

I really hope they announce remote play.
I'd love to be able to play Xbox One on the PC while the TV is being used.

Would it be possible for somebody to watch a Blu-ray on the big screen while simultaneously playing a digital title via remote play? Can this be done on PS4?

Top Bottom