• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11 23H2 arrives on the 26th of September, with a focus on AI

Are you going to upgrade?

• Yes. I'm ready.

Votes: 57 34.1%
  • No. There is nothing there for me.

Votes: 66 39.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I'm on Linux or MacOS. Or consoles.

Votes: 25 15.0%

• Total voters

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Well If you thought media and advertising were swaying the public consensus too much .. just wait!

We as a society can’t even handle tick tok let alone advanced AI creating trends.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I usually give it a few weeks to see what issues pop up. Which is why you always want to run at least Pro since you can stop auto updates for features with a group policy.

Topher

Gold Member
If I do anything with Windows going forward it is going to be installing Tiny11 to remove all the bloat. Primarily because my gaming PC is dedicated to gaming. My regular use computer is a Mac.

Having said that, like others I'm progressively trying to move to Linux for gaming. I have Manjaro installed on another drive and am currently dual booting Linux and Windows.

winjer

Gold Member
I'd willingly go back to buying my O/S if it meant all that shit would go away.

It's called Windows LTSC, but MS doesn't sell it to consumers. But there are key resellers that do sell it to consumers.
It doesn't have the MS store, Cortana, spyware, etc. So Xbox games and gamepass don't work.
Major feature updates are delayed by a couple of years.
It is a lot more stable and bug free than normal Windows 11.

ptuck874

anybody figure out how to get rid of the bell near the time/date area? I don't even want to see that turned off the AI thing in corner, playing around on it how, seems cooler so far, idk about the rest yet

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It's called Windows LTSC, but MS doesn't sell it to consumers. But there are key resellers that do sell it to consumers.
It doesn't have the MS store, Cortana, spyware, etc. So Xbox games and gamepass don't work.
Major feature updates are delayed by a couple of years.
It is a lot more stable and bug free than normal Windows 11.
Will that get rid of all the crap and not have to sign in with a Microsoft account also?

I know you can do it with local accounts but I think that locks you out of certain functionality does it not?

Basically just like it to be like XP / Win 7 where you registered with a 25 letter key and off you went.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I mean, I'm not going to just stop installing updates for my operating system lol
There are a lot of people who do that (or do stupid things like edit the registry thinking they‘re “improving” it) and then they’ll post about how the store is crashing or something without realizing they played themselves.

winjer

Gold Member
Will that get rid of all the crap and not have to sign in with a Microsoft account also?

I know you can do it with local accounts but I think that locks you out of certain functionality does it not?

Basically just like it to be like XP / Win 7 where you registered with a 25 letter key and off you went.

I haven't used LTSC in a while. But it didn't require an MS account.

StereoVsn

Yeah on one hand I don’t want this to be turned on by default on my box. You just know MS will be tracking all of the prompts/responses in consumer version.

On the other hand I must admit I use AI daily in my workflow and it’s super helpful. Mainly ChatGPT Plus but also GitHub copilot and couple other tools.

What I really want is secure version of this that doesn’t share any info on my queries and results. Have to get either ChatGPT Enterprise or Microsoft 365 CoPilot for that. And it’s at least $30/user on the latter and no idea how much former is.

I might spring for Microsoft one as I already have M365 anyways.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I guess I'm actually one of the few people that actually doesn't mind Windows at all, in fact I prefer it over everything else that's out there. I'll stay in my camp because I know the grass ain't greener on the other side.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I guess I'm actually one of the few people that actually doesn't mind Windows at all, in fact I prefer it over everything else that's out there. I'll stay in my camp because I know the grass ain't greener on the other side.
It is still the best OS for gaming. Things just works or have less trouble to make it work.

Doom_master1122

Neo Member
Valve need to get their arse in gear and release the SteamDeck OS for general PC hardware. Then I'd be off.

I mean you can just install any main line Linux Distribution, install steam and you're golden. Linux has come a long way. Will you inevitably open a terminal at some point? Probably, but its not scary. Even on the Deck if you want to do anything to tweak the device, or anything that ISN'T steam, you'll probably be opening a terminal at least once.

Grab a second drive install a main line Linux Distribution and give it a try.

I've been a Linux user going on 3 years now, and I moved off Windows when they became FAR too bloated and Ad central for my tastes.
That being said, Whatever OS works for you best is what you should use. Sure there's a tad bit more work on Linux to do things versus windows, but that's the same if you moved off Windows to MacOS for the first time. Issues I have on Windows don't exist on Linux, but I also have very Linux based issues. Recently just recovered from an Nvidia driver issue that would have been a non issue on Windows, but sucks for me on Linux. However, a lot of my games get far better performance over here than Windows.
It's perspective, what you want to do, and what works best for you.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Windows 10 is my last windows, after that I'll be moving over to Linux as Proton/Gamescope is getting better each day.
John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Native archive support is a big get.

Paint is actually useful.
And AI photos should be fun.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Wow this update actually isn't half bad. Native support for .rar and 7z is a long time coming but I'm glad. This is why I keep saying win11 doesn't deserve the hate, it's changes are pretty good

twilo99

Most people have given up their privacy to social media platforms and Google a long time ago.. your smartphone does a much better job at listening and learning about who you are than Win11. Apple has done some good work on the privacy front, but even there apps are still able to get to you.

winjer

Gold Member

However, Martin Brinkmann of gHacks notes that the Windows-related stuff in Copilot requires a constant internet connection. As with most current AI systems, task processing takes a lot of horsepower. So, to turn on dark mode, for example, this advanced AI companion must send the query to a Microsoft server for processing before it can change any local settings.

It gets worse. Users who installed the preview Windows 11 23H2 upgrade are already experiencing unwanted advertisements during Copilot interactions. Asking the AI assistant for gaming laptops shows related ads after the AI-generated suggestions.

As an internet-based feature, there is currently no known way to disable advertising on Copilot. Users can still disable the AI companion with a registry hack or through the Group Policy Editor. Microsoft could also remove this annoying "feature" with a future Windows 11 update or patch but don't hold your breath.

Seriously, Microsoft.

simon gibson middle finger GIF by Originals

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Seriously, Microsoft.

simon gibson middle finger GIF by Originals
Wish they could make it so that people who paid for a license get no ads. That would be so much better than this BS, maybe Windows would actually start selling for the first time in 10 years

Trilobit

Got a W11 Lenovo laptop for studies and was a bit surprised to see that Cortana had been kicked out. I like to use voice commands sometimes so I hope that returns with the focus on AI.

Overall, and this includes Android, Apple and the rest, I feel like voice commands are still stuck in a near unusable state. It feels like those text adventures on 80s PC's where you have to guess what commands actually do something. But mostly you get "I can't unfortunately do that" or "You need to go into this setting and click this and that and this" or "I searched online for 'lower the volume' and found this:"

Hopefully ChatGPT and other AI can be incorporated into the OS and become intelligent enough that you won't need a manual for each interaction.

Last edited:

Comandr

Got a W11 Lenovo laptop for studies and was a bit surprised to see that Cortana had been kicked out. I like to use voice commands sometimes so I hope that returns with the focus on AI.

Overall, and this includes Android, Apple and the rest, I feel like voice commands are still stuck in a near unusable state. It feels like those text adventures on 80s PC's where you have to guess what commands actually do something. But mostly you get "I can't unfortunately do that" or "You need to go into this setting and click this and that and this" or "I searched online for 'lower the volume' and found this:"

Hopefully ChatGPT and other AI can be incorporated into the OS and become intelligent enough that you won't need a manual for each interaction.
This. There is a shocking amount that "assistants" cannot do when you try to ask simple questions or commands with natural language. "Here's what I've found on the web about 'what is the temperature outside.' Would you like to hear it?" "Here's what I've found on the web about 'you stupid asshole.' Would you like to hear it?"

Save us chatgpt integration!

Can anyone give me information on how to fully go AERO-TRANSPARENCY-ACRYLIC-GAUSSIAN BLURR on Windows 11? I want that to be implemented on the edge browser and file explorer. Does stardock do that?

It doesn't have to look or have the design elements from windows 7, but at least the full blown effect.

4k5Qo8w.png

E78U7hm.jpg
VPkSlxS.jpg

Fake

Can anyone give me information on how to fully go AERO-TRANSPARENCY-ACRYLIC-GAUSSIAN BLURR on Windows 11? I want that to be implemented on the edge browser and file explorer. Does stardock do that?

It doesn't have to look or have the design elements from windows 7, but at least the full blown effect.

4k5Qo8w.png

E78U7hm.jpg
VPkSlxS.jpg

Inside personalize options. Right click on the desktop area, personalize. There, you can enable transparecy.

Windows 7 aero glass is lightyears ahead of this one and a little reminder that IDK if the ability of turn transparence on require some version of Windows 11 or something graphics related, how integraded graphic cards will behave after you active.

If you don't find there, use the old Windows Control Panel.

Denton

Skipping Win11, since it has no real advantages over 10 and my 10 is working perfectly. I might go with 12 though.
XP - 7 - 10 - 12

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Skipping Win11, since it has no real advantages over 10 and my 10 is working perfectly. I might go with 12 though.
XP - 7 - 10 - 12

That's been my exact path as well since I've been building PC's.

Although considering the direction things are going I'm more likely to make a full transition over to Linux next instead of going to 12.

Bry0

Do Win 11 still needs to have TPM and Secure Boot enabled?
Yes but you can literally edit 2 registry keys during install to bypass that. Ran it on a 2600k system that way.

As expected though the AI stuff sucks and doesn’t seem to leverage local hardware at all. Lightyears behind Mac.

Last edited:
Inside personalize options. Right click on the desktop area, personalize. There, you can enable transparecy.

Windows 7 aero glass is lightyears ahead of this one and a little reminder that IDK if the ability of turn transparence on require some version of Windows 11 or something graphics related, how integraded graphic cards will behave after you active.

If you don't find there, use the old Windows Control Panel.

I think it's no longer called "aero" it's called acrylic and mica now for it to be used on file explorer. I also want it to be used on Microsoft edge. Check this out:

So far I haven't had any glaring issues. I do wish they offered more customization options for the task bar, and other things.

winjer

Gold Member

Microsoft rolled out the Windows 11 23H2 update earlier this year, bringing a myriad of new features and fixes. However, some users who installed the update are now complaining that it significantly reduced their PC's performance, even after performing a clean install.
An affected user, Anant Acharya, complained about the reduced performance on the official Microsoft forums. He says the problem cropped up on his 2020 HP Pavilion laptop, which was a high-performance device before the recent update and could clock high frame rates in most games. According to Acharya, the laptop could hit over 130 FPS in games like Valorant, CS:GO, and Grand Theft Auto 5 running at high-ultra settings, and about 80-90 FPS in AAA titles like Forza Horizon 5 running at high settings.
However, after the 23H2 update, he started noticing sudden stutters and drastic FPS drops in the same games. He added that the problems were not due to thermal throttling, as the device didn't register any change in operating temperatures following the update. Moreover, since the laptop is always used in an air-conditioned room and with a cooling pad, the issues are likely software-related.

According to the company, users should reset Microsoft Defender through a couple of PowerShell commands, reboot their PC, and then enable CPU Virtualization in BIOS. Next, they will need to open Windows Security and enable Memory Integrity under the Core Isolation settings. Once the computer is restarted after making the aforementioned changes, Hypervisor will be running and Virtualization Security will be enabled. This should resolve the performance-related issues reported by the users.

Burger

According to the company, users should reset Microsoft Defender through a couple of PowerShell commands, reboot their PC, and then enable CPU Virtualization in BIOS. Next, they will need to open Windows Security and enable Memory Integrity under the Core Isolation settings. Once the computer is restarted after making the aforementioned changes, Hypervisor will be running and Virtualization Security will be enabled. This should resolve the performance-related issues reported by the users.
These are normal things people should have to do when their computer updates.

Top Bottom