• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Relic staffing Dawn of War community team back up; DoW3 coming soon?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Relic is getting ready to relaunch in general.

New website coming soon: http://www.relic.com/

The vast majority of these job postings weren't there two months ago:

relicjobsn5j6w.png

They seem to have decided on a foundation to work upon going forward after the Sega acquisition and now intend to ramp up and execute.

Interesting that this news comes to pass when I am replaying Dark Crusade. 'Love that game!

I only dabbled in the DOW2 demo, and I didn't like it much. If there is a Dawn of War 3, I'd like a return to the Dawn of War 1 style RTS gameplay.

I'll keep this news on my radar.
Same, I just don't know what kind of a market there is for straightforward RTS games anymore that aren't Starcraft.

Dram

Dawn of War I series
Dawn of War
Dawn of War - Winter Assault
Dawn of War - Dark Crusade
Dawn of War - Soulstorm

Dawn of War II series
Dawn of War II
Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising
Dawn of War II - Retribution

Plot wise most of the games focus on the Blood Ravens Space Marines, so you should play the first Dawn of War game, then Dark Crusade as the Blood Ravens and then play the Dawn of War II series.

Mindlog

Every single time.
Never got into 2, but 1 was fantastic. It basically defines my association with that license. And Orks.

Ah, just in the middle of painting an ork army and this shows up. I really hope this is a sign that relic are jumping back into 40k related projects...

I just wish they had exclusive rights to it.... Usually I'm all for developers getting a shot at a license like this, and don't want to see a big publisher getting a monopoly on it.... But GWs current strategy of handing out licenses to whatever developer shows up with a pocket full of cash is resulting in some fairly awful games that are definitely harming the IP.

PS more space marine please relic or just give me my dream Inquisition based mass effect clone.

I'd like theme to bring back the DoW 1 style of game play but I know RTS doesn't really have the allure and populairty it once did unless, of course, you're starcraft.

I'd wouldn't mind some sort of hybrid of 1 and 2 while trying something different to set itself apart. Either way as long as there is another DoW I'm sure I'll be fine either way. Glad that relic is getting back on their feet and can continue up to produce great games.

Baalzebup

I've only played Dawn of War 1, is 2 worth it? I've looked into it a little, and I know that the style of game is very different, but is it a good game in its own right.

I would still hope that this third game is like 1 on a bigger scale.

DoW 2 and its expansion, Chaos Rising, are definitely worth attention and time. All in all, pretty much everything that Relic has done under the license has been excellent.

OT: I'm excited at the prospects of new WH40K goodness from Relic.

z3phon

Oh man please be DoW3. If it is I really hope they are using a new engine.
Edit: I know that Relic doesn't have the rights to Homeworld but I would love to see them make something like that again.

dmr87

I just want more good Warhammer 40k games. FPS/3rd person/RTS/RPG, whatever works. Just don't make all of them about the Space Marines, plenty of other interesting races.

Dryk

I think I spent most of my time in Retribution playing Last Stand with my friends. If DoW 3 happens more Last Stand is a must.

EDIT: Oh and let's not do the Retribution campaign again. I'd rather a small number of tailored campaigns than being able to play slightly different ones with every faction.

boltz

Hell no. The lack of it is what mademade DoW2 so amazing.

Yup, as much as I enjoyed the first DoW, base building can get pretty repetitive; focusing on individual units was more rewarding and engaging. And hope to see last stand too!

DoW2 multiplayer was essentially a MOBA anyway. There were heroes that leveled and bought gear, lanes, pushing bases. The main difference is instead of automated creeps and towers those were produced and controlled by players. I really enjoyed it and hope multiplayer for a DoW3 follows that pattern rather than being just another RTS.

Boogdud

Kind of surprising after the announcement of that 40k Battlefleet Gothic game last week (space based battles rts?) I sure hope DoW3 is on it's way though. It's been sorely missed.

I'd much rather see them deviate from the company of heroes formula from 2 and go back to the first games/expansions style.

But I'll take whatever Relic wants to make because they're awesome.

grendelrt

Been waiting for this for so long. THQ going under was terrible for WH40K fans. I hope they build upon last Stand mode, me and my friends played the crap out of it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Been waiting for this for so long. THQ going under was terrible for WH40K fans. I hope they build upon last Stand mode, me and my friends played the crap out of it.

I'm kind of confused why they didn't make an f2p The Last Stand game that actually got continually updated.

This still feels like a wide open market.

derFeef

I want Dawn of War 1 with the campaign coop and unit customization of Dawn of War 2.

Oh yes please. I really enjoyed both games for each approach, but that would be fantastic.
Wasn't there rumors about a big "MMORPG-like" Dawn of War game?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh yes please. I really enjoyed both games for each approach, but that would be fantastic.
Wasn't there rumors about a big "MMORPG-like" Dawn of War game?

It's hard to say what the game is anymore, as they had to change their plans several times to fit THQ's corporate whims and now they're owned by Sega instead.

I want Dawn of War 1 with the campaign coop and unit customization of Dawn of War 2.

Why not both? The tactical depth of DOW II (cover, unit abilities, commander selection) with base building. Campaign coop in DOW II was so awesome though.

SEXY.

derFeef

It's hard to say what the game is anymore, as they had to change their plans several times to fit THQ's corporate whims and now they're owned by Sega instead.

Hopefully they give the same amount of freedom to them like they did with CD, even if I did not like A:I for what it was.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hopefully they give the same amount of freedom to them like they did with CD, even if I did not like A:I for what it was.

I've heard through the grapevine that Relics feels being under Sega is a vast improvement over their previous situation.

Draft

Dawn of War and Dawn of War 2 are both amazing games. Relic successfully transitioned the series between two distinct types of RTS and that's impressive. Whatever they decide to do with Dawn of War 3 I'm onboard. They've earned the benefit of the doubt.

I thought DoW2 was better than DoW1 in most ways except the scale, resources and base building. Something more like CoH1 + DoW1 would be even more amazing.

Dolor

I do hope that they go back to the large armies with this one if for no other reason than that DX12 ought to make incredible games of that type possible, and W40K is about the best candidate for that I can think of...
other than Sins of a Solar Empire that is.

ArjanN

Eh, I think Dow1 and 2 are inherently very different games.

Hell, even in DoW2 alone, the singleplayer, multiplayer and the Last Stand mode play out very differently from each other.

If prefer the more tactical unit-fcoused approach of DoW2 to the oldschool "build a base and then drag select 100 tanks over to the enemy base" way of playing, although the latter might make for some better spectacle.

cirrhosis

I love DOW. I wasn't a huge fan of Retribution but this news is hype nonetheless.

Bish should rejoin Relic - great things could result.

Tetranet

I've been waiting a long time for Relic to return to Warhammer 40k. They have made the best games for it which I count among my favorite games ever. Hopefully we'll see something Dawn of War 3-related soon.

Top Bottom