• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation and LeBron James team up on limited edition PlayStation 5 accessories

Draugoth

Gold Member
32cc019fdeb424906ac3ebf8e697ad190df79b8e.jpg

At PlayStation, we always relish the chance to collaborate creatively with cultural leaders who redefine what it means to play – and live life – without limits. That’s why we recently unveiled our new PlayStation Playmakers program, which you can read more about here. Today, we’re humbled to announce a limited edition PlayStation 5 console cover and DualSense wireless controller collaboratively designed with PlayStation Playmaker, sports icon, philanthropist, entrepreneur (and part-time God of War), LeBron James.

These specially-designed PS5 accessories, which feature elements inspired by LeBron and his love for gaming and community, will be available as a limited release in select countries globally. As a PlayStation Playmaker, LeBron co-designed the PS5 console cover and DualSense wireless controller with personal imagery and adages that have been meaningful throughout his journey.

Design and specifications are subject to change without notice

Here’s a word from LeBron about what this collaboration means to him:

“It’s still crazy to think a kid from Akron who grew up playing games is getting to create something like this. Designing a console cover and controller with PlayStation that gives a nod to my I Promise students and where we come from is a pretty cool thing. I hope it’s something that continues to inspire everyone who touches it, and that they have a little fun finding meaning in every detail.”
– LeBron James

From his record-breaking achievements in basketball to his extraordinary efforts to lift his community, LeBron is an inspiration to many of us at PlayStation. We couldn’t have asked for a more ideal partner to be the first-ever collaborator to design limited-edition PlayStation products. It was great to see LeBron’s vision for the design come to life and showcase his passions for gaming and community. We hope PlayStation fans will love this design as much as we enjoyed helping create it.

Fans in select markets will be able to preorder the accessories exclusively through direct.playstation.com later this year.

77e5f6c6f85d2c28ece6f318e47fde9975f5811d.jpg

This is just the beginning for PlayStation Playmakers. We look forward to spotlighting more stories from this dynamic and evolving network of talent who are passionate about sharing their love for PlayStation and video games with the world. They represent some of today’s most exciting creators, athletes, actors, artists, gamers, and entertainers. PlayStation Playmakers is part of our journey to inspire gaming fans and prove the power of play.

Last edited:

tmlDan

I'm no Lebron fan but that actually looks pretty slick, I like the controller.

Can't wait to see what else we get this week.

The hardcore gamers are gonna be so mad at this being the first limited edition thing they do but I think this is a great idea.

Last edited:
Look man, there are some celebrities that I like, but I only like them because of their acting and films that they're in. I am really getting sick and tired of then doing shit in video games. It's annoying, obnoxious and just attention seeking. Also, why the fuck would I care about LeBron James? His so overrated.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Look man, there are some celebrities that I like, but I only like them because of their acting and films that they're in. I am really getting sick and tired of then doing shit in video games. It's annoying, obnoxious and just attention seeking. Also, why the fuck would I care about LeBron James? His so overrated.
You don't understand why Playstation might be trying to sell more product by partnering with one of the most popular athletes in sports history?

Attention seeking? Yeah that's the goal. Get the attention of people so they consider buying more product.

Come on, be smart. Again, not everything is aimed at you, and not everyone responds to the same thing you do. This is the Playstation marketing department earning their salaries and bonuses.

You don't understand why Playstation might be trying to sell more product by partnering with one of the most popular athletes in sports history?

Attention seeking? Yeah that's the goal. Get the attention of people so they consider buying more product.

Come on, be smart. Again, not everything is aimed at you, and not everyone responds to the same thing you do. This is the Playstation marketing department earning their salaries and bonuses.
Yes, I am well aware why Sony is doing it. That's obvious. I was simply making a statement that I don't like celebrities being involved with video games. It's pure cringe.

Also when I think Video Games I don't think basketball they should of picked someone who's more associated to video games.

Last edited:

tmlDan

The NBA all time scoring record holder is overrated?

Wtf did i just read lol

And its almost playoff season, i mean…

Even if the Lakers don’t make it in

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The NBA all time scoring record holder is overrated?

Wtf did i just read lol
Agreed in what universe is the all time scoring leader overrated in any way?

Yes, I am well aware why Sony is doing it. That's obvious. I was simply making a statement that I don't like celebrities being involved with video games. It's pure cringe.

Also when I think Video Games I don't think basketball they should of picked someone who's more associated to video games.
A huge number of athletes play videos games so I think its goes perfectly hand in hand

The controller looks pretty good, but that console looks terrible. The placement and sizing is so damn weird... but also, a Jordan one would have been way better :messenger_grinning_squinting:

jk Bron stans just messing with you

NickFire

100% he has earned it

People have no idea what it takes to reach a professional level of sports not to mention maintain it for as long as he has

Top it off with the dude has kept his nose clean for the most part

Derek Jeter Sport GIF by YES Network
I'm kicking sand at you in my mind.

If anyone is gonna get a custom PS5 skin it should be the GOAT (Jordan).

But I'm also kind of agreeing with you and just refusing to acknowledge that because I'm too old to consider that its even debatable who the best is / was. Will always be Jordan.

Ar¢tos

This reminded me to check to see if the midnight black plates were back in stock.

Finally purchased 🤗 Thanks.
I thought of that, but then the controller has white, the charging station has white, psvr2 and controllers also have white (whenever I buy them), so I ended up buying a 10$ dust cover for the ps5 instead.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm kicking sand at you in my mind.

If anyone is gonna get a custom PS5 skin it should be the GOAT (Jordan).

But I'm also kind of agreeing with you and just refusing to acknowledge that because I'm too old to consider that its even debatable who the best is / was. Will always be Jordan.
I agree Jordan is the GOAT but he appeals more to us older folks who actually saw him play

Tripolygon

Banned

71hU-H1XUPL.jpg

Sports games are some of the best selling games.

Last edited:

Agreed in what universe is the all time scoring leader overrated in any way?
Oh shit, are we about to hijack this thread?!?! LFG lol

You definitely can't deny how much skill and longevity it took for Bron to get that record. He certainly has been one of the most consistent scorers EVER, but he is not "the greatest scorer" ever. I would argue that Kobe was a better scorer than Bron. I've watched Bron thru the years and the thing that always stood out to me about his offense is that it looks hard for him to do. Like it looks like it's a bit of a struggle, he gets there hence the record, but it didn't look easy... I don't know if that makes sense.

Trust me, Bron will most likely go down as the "GOAT" when it's all said and done, but he is not the best basketball player of all time. I think GOAT and Best of all time get mixed as the same thing, I don't think they are.

NickFire

I agree Jordan is the GOAT but he appeals more to us older folks who actually saw him play
Since I already pulled you off topic, I'm taking this further.

Steph Curry is more influential on the modern game than Lebron ever was.

Jordan - made every kid want adjustable hoops to dunk.

Lebron - only taught kids to cry to refs.

Curry - made every kid and every 1/2 way decent NBA player turn their back on dunks in favor of 3's.

You definitely can't deny how much skill and longevity it took for Bron to get that record. He certainly has been one of the most consistent scorers EVER, but he is not "the greatest scorer" ever. I would argue that Kobe was a better scorer than Bron. I've watched Bron thru the years and the thing that always stood out to me about his offense is that it looks hard for him to do. Like it looks like it's a bit of a struggle, he gets there hence the record, but it didn't look easy... I don't know if that makes sense.

Trust me, Bron will most likely go down as the "GOAT" when it's all said and done, but he is not the best basketball player of all time. I think GOAT and Best of all time get mixed as the same thing, I don't think they are.
I never said his a bad player my guy. I just think his overrated as an individual, not as a player. I far much more prefer Michael Jordan if we're talking about NBA people or Shaq. They are far more personable people.

You guys are getting it twisted -_-

Last edited:
I never said his a bad player my guy. I just think his overrated as an individual, not as a player. I far much more prefer Michael Jordan if we're talking about NBA people or Shaq. They are far more personable people.

You guys are getting it twisted -_-
Never meant, to imply that you did call him a bad player. I'm just trying to hijack this thread LOL

I agree on Shaq, I'd even go with Chuck.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Since I already pulled you off topic, I'm taking this further.

Steph Curry is more influential on the modern game than Lebron ever was.

Jordan - made every kid want adjustable hoops to dunk.

Lebron - only taught kids to cry to refs.

Curry - made every kid and every 1/2 way decent NBA player turn their back on dunks in favor of 3's.
I have attended youth sporting events a lot since my retirement in 2000 mainly supporting the kids I worked with over the years

I can say when Steph started to breakout it changed even how kids were warming up before games.

I can so remember watching 7th graders doing their pre game warm ups and while just doing their free shoot arounds they were out there trying to mimic Stephs super quick release so I agree he influenced kids more than James ever did

Plus Steph was built like a normal human, James is a massive man that most of the population will not get to

I never said he was the greatest scorer I think there is a long line of people in front of him for that honor like Kobe and one of my favorite pure scorers was Allen Iverson

I just said he can't be overrated being the NBAs all time leading scorer

That's the kind of comment you just have to laugh and walk away from
I sure don't think he is the greatest of all time but saying he is overrated is pretty silly

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Legit this is the first ps5 official special edition console a lebron james edition wow how about some love for upcoming spiderman 2 thats what the fans need

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I have attended youth sporting events a lot since my retirement in 2000 mainly supporting the kids I worked with over the years

I can say when Steph started to breakout it changed even how kids were warming up before games.

I can so remember watching 7th graders doing their pre game warm ups and while just doing their free shoot arounds they were out there trying to mimic Stephs super quick release so I agree he influenced kids more than James ever did

Plus Steph was built like a normal human, James is a massive man that most of the population will not get to

I never said he was the greatest scorer I think there is a long line of people in front of him for that honor like Kobe and one of my favorite pure scorers was Allen Iverson

I just said he can't be overrated being the NBAs all time leading scorer

I sure don't think he is the greatest of all time but saying he is overrated is pretty silly

It is absolutely absurd. Dude doesn't know what he is talking about

And that is coming from a Celtics fan

Last edited:

NickFire

I also would throw Russell in there especially counting rings

1WVZ3ip.jpg
No argument against. But truthfully, I have trouble equating his generation with Jordan onward. Same feelings in golf or football, and even baseball to a lesser extent. The old guys were great athletes and players, but I just can't believe they had the same competition the modern guys do.

Top Bottom