• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taking artsy photos ranks 7th on list of sexy behavior. Shocking. Positively so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/2014/12/16/what-forms-of-creativity-turn-you-on/

Basically a bunch of scientists and eggheads did a study on what creative behaviors are sexy and stuff. Cause creativity is basically humanity's peacock feathers.

So wanna know what's the most and least sexy creative behavior?

On average, here are the top 10 sexiest creative behaviors:

1. Playing sports

2. Taking a date on a spontaneous road trip

3. Recording music

4. Making a clever remark

5. Writing music

6. Performing in a band

7. The taking of artistic photographs

8. Performing in comedy

9. Dressing in a unique style

10. Writing poetry

On average, here are the top 10 least sexy creative behaviors:

1. Making ad campaigns

2. Interior decorating

3. Writing an original computer program

4. Making websites

5. Growing and gardening

6. Presenting scientific or mathematical papers

7. Exterior decorating

8. Applying math in an original way to solve a practical problem

9. The development of scientific experimental designs

10. Participating in drama production

Original long-ass paper: http://scottbarrykaufman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Kaufman-et-al.-2014.pdf

Ad campaign placement on this list saddens me. Doubt Don Draper's crying though.

Actual article's worth a read though, even if it's just for your own entertainment.

Take that, STEM majors!

m4G89os.gif

Derwind

Holy shit. I'm the least sexy guy I know.

Yeah I like photgraphy and road trips but the rest.... i'm utterly shit at.

And why is gardening not sexy? Fuck!

Syncytia

So if I do/have done the same number from each list does that cancel out and give me sexy rating 0?

Shit, I'm probably just went to -1 since I used math in a clever way

Poor STEMers.

The whole top 10 (sans #1 and #8) is basically describing all the qualities "hipster" musicians have. And I agree: there's not a sexier creature.

Dennis

Banned
On average, here are the top 10 least sexy creative behaviors:

6. Presenting scientific or mathematical papers

8. Applying math in an original way to solve a practical problem

9. The development of scientific experimental designs

well, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucckkkkk

I feel great about my career now.....

sans_pants

avec_pénis
BUT… We also found substantial differences in reported mate preferences among people, and these differences could be predicted based on personality. People who scored higher in intellectual curiosity, enjoyment of cognitively complex reasoning, and who reported more creative achievements in the sciences tended to find applied/technological forms of creativity incredibly sexy in a potential partner. In contrast, the best predictor of a preference for ornamental/aesthetic forms of creativity among both males and females was openness to experience: a preference for engagement with sensory, aesthetic, fantasy, and emotional information. Interestingly, among males, higher levels of intellectual curiosity actually were associated with less of a preference for ornamental/aesthetic displays of creativity in a potential mate. Not sure what to make of that finding though.

there u go nerds

Dylan

Just today I was thinking about how doing science research as a career means you are seen by your friends and family as someone who's life consists of nothing but staring at a computer screen reading Google Scholar / Pub Med or writing grants in Word all day and night.

Even if people acknowledge the hard work you put into your field, the natural tendency is still to see you as an immobile model of weakness. When I had jobs in manual labour, I looked and felt better/healthier and I felt like I was much better received in public. Probably because I both looked better and didn't have the mental exhaustion that comes with a life of research.

(caveat: typing this at 1a.m. after working on a manuscript under the influence of cold meds)

How is playing sport creative? All you make is sweat.

I mean if someone said they wanted to do something creative I wouldn't suggest a game of tennis.

spontaneous road trip huh.

so what if i picked up a first date and said "ayyy we're gonna be driving 6 hours, i'll pay for the room and food tho. got gas money?" lol

don't worry though i'll be playing this song so she'll think it's so spontaneous and exciting.

I can attest that I've never had more women come onto me when I used to go out and party all the time and bring my old 35mm nikon camera with me. cuties always ask about it. I carry it everywhere.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see being clever at a healthy number 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom