• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light PC Performance Thread

pa22word

I need a larger sample size to draw definitive conclusions on what's up with the Texture Quality setting, but from what I can see I think it's merely a texture cache to minimize pop-in.

Yeah, it looks like an "ubersampling" type setting for people with MONSTER rigs to turn on just for overkill. A little texture pop in here or there isn't going to kill anyone, imo, and certainly won't send me in here crying about a bad port because there's a full load in option for people who have the crazy hardware to use it, either now or in the future.

They probably should have made it a command line option, though, because most people don't understand sliders and will be in here bitching because they can't "max" the game =\

Smash88

Banned
Morning all,

Contrary to reports there is SLI support, and to get it you need to update to driver 347.25, then in GeForce Experience 'Check For Updates' to download the new profile.

If you're using GeForce Experience 2.2.2 you don't have to tick any of the boxes on the Preferences tab. If you're on an older version you need to click the SLI profiles checkbox first.

If you wish to manually verify that the update has occurred, the profile bits will be 0x080000F5 after the update.

In other news, I've published my Dying Light Graphics & Performance Guide. All the usual goodies are included, and in this piece we delve into CPU bottlenecking. An update to the article will happen later today with performance recommendations for a variety of GPUs.

Many thanks, and best regards,

Andy

Great write up Andy, but no PC settings table made me sad.

Is there a reason it was omitted?

pa22word

Great write up Andy, but no PC settings table made me sad.

Is there a reason it was omitted?

I would guess because press code wasn't sent out for this game, or something. Seems they really rushed this one out the door. Hope everything is okay in the game and not all half baked =\

Also, words can't describe the awesomeness of your guides, andy. You've saved me so much headache with them! Much love man <3

pa22word

Server farms are still spinning it all. Hopefully ready later today.

1f71e7cc223c619328d2f90aaa4f5fd2ef9527d11405662988.jpg

;)

Game seems be ok with default crossfire settings,

I have everything basically on the highest settings except no anti-aliasing at 2560x1440 and have an R9 295x2 with an Intel i7-4790k

Sometimes on cinematic scenes it seems to randomly dip below and around 60fps, but gameplay so far is at least above.

Some AMD users are complaining about horrible optimization.

One streamer has a 3570k and 7970 GPU. He basically had to crank settings waaaaay down and STILL got terrible performance.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149289119&postcount=252

Ugh, a few 'tubers I watch streamed the preview build and I just assumed the poor performance was because of that.

I should sell my PC and get a PS4, Core i5 4440 and 7950 is going to get dogshit FPS no doubt.

Daaaaamn @ that CPU bottleneck with view distance. Looks Like I'll be dropping that to 60% and running textures on not max (?) because of my paltry 3 GB vram on my 780 :p

Not bad though, can't wait on the game to unpack @_@

It isn't really "view distance" but a "LoD slider". And I suppose it proves why open world games have noticeable LoD issues: it needs tons of cpu otherwise.

Ugh, a few 'tubers I watch streamed the preview build and I just assumed the poor performance was because of that.

I should sell my PC and get a PS4, Core i5 4440 and 7950 is going to get dogshit FPS no doubt.

1) You would sell your PC and lose money in the process just for Dying Light ?
2) What makes you think you're gonna get better performances on PS4 ?

yeah you should wait till we get an idea of console performance. it really wouldnt surprise me tho if perf is much worse than it should be on amd. the majority of games these days have horrible perf on 1 of the 2 IHVs. just the reality of pc gaming ATM

HowZatOZ

Banned
Yeah, it definitely looks...unimpressive for the specs it is demanding (making it seem inefficient), but maybe I'm not appreciating the open-world aspect behind it.

It definitely has some texture issues but for the most part what it offers far outweighs the slight ugliness.

Here's the entire video settings cfg for anyone in need. Located in \Documents\DyingLight\out\settings

Code:
!Resolution(i,i)
!WindowOffset(i,i)
!Monitor(i)                    // -1 primary monitor
!TextureQuality(s)             // Low, Medium, High
!GammaFloat(f)
!Shadows(s)                    // Low, High
!ShadowMapSize(i)
!SpotShadowMapSize(i)
!Fullscreen()
!VSync()                       // enable vertical sync
!GrassQuality(i)               // lower is better
!NvidiaEffects(i,i)            // enable extra nvidia effects(hbao+,dof)
!ExtraGameFov(f)               // extra fov
!VisRange(f,f)
!OculusEnabled()               // enable support for Oculus
!AmbientOcclusion(i)           // 1 - enable; 0 - disable
!MotionBlur(i)                 // 1 - enable; 0 - disable
!AntiAliasing(i)               // 1 - enable; 0 - disable
Resolution(1920,1080)
Monitor(0)
TextureQuality("High")
VisRange(2.13, 2.13)
ShadowMapSize(4096)
SpotShadowMapSize(4096)
GammaFloat(1.00)
GrassQuality(0)
VSync()
NvidiaEffects(1, 1)
AmbientOcclusion(1)
MotionBlur(1)
AntiAliasing(1)

I sure wish my GTX 970 actually had 4GB VRAM now...Instead of 3.5GB and the other .5 being non-existent.

Hopefully this game is not a VRAM hog, however the fact I have to worry is just making me sad that I went with the 970.

I'll wait a couple more days for Impressions and then buy, hopefully by then we can see how a GTX 970 fares with this game.(especially SLI)

It definitely has some texture issues but for the most part what it offers far outweighs the slight ugliness.

Here's the entire video settings cfg for anyone in need. Located in \Documents\DyingLight\out\settings

Code:
[B]!OculusEnabled()   [/B]            // enable support for Oculus

hot damn, need to try it

Seanspeed

Banned

Code:
!Resolution(i,i)
!WindowOffset(i,i)
!Monitor(i)                    // -1 primary monitor
!TextureQuality(s)             // Low, Medium, High
!GammaFloat(f)
!Shadows(s)                    // Low, High
!ShadowMapSize(i)
!SpotShadowMapSize(i)
!Fullscreen()
!VSync()                       // enable vertical sync
!GrassQuality(i)               // lower is better
!NvidiaEffects(i,i)            // enable extra nvidia effects(hbao+,dof)
!ExtraGameFov(f)               // extra fov
!VisRange(f,f)
!OculusEnabled()               // enable support for Oculus
!AmbientOcclusion(i)           // 1 - enable; 0 - disable
!MotionBlur(i)                 // 1 - enable; 0 - disable
!AntiAliasing(i)               // 1 - enable; 0 - disable
Resolution(1920,1080)
Monitor(0)
TextureQuality("High")
VisRange(2.13, 2.13)
ShadowMapSize(4096)
SpotShadowMapSize(4096)
GammaFloat(1.00)
GrassQuality(0)
VSync()
NvidiaEffects(1, 1)
AmbientOcclusion(1)
MotionBlur(1)
AntiAliasing(1)
So the CA is built-in?

God fucking damnit. lol

it doesnt bother me in AC unity dead kings, but thats probably because of the color pallet they used. im sure it would be horrendous if applied to the base game where theres a range of vivid colors.

Kezen

Banned
I had to lower the draw distance to 75% to get the game running at 60fps.
Otherwise, looks good and runs well.

Corpekata

Banned
Getting 44-60 (capped) on a 970 and i5-3570k with the default best settings (maxes everything but view distance). Going to try tweaking later so if I can't get it more stable.

Pit

Anybody with a 680 played and gathered some numbers? Would like to know how this will play on my rig (i5-3570k). Probably not well. Also have a ps4 so that's an option. Any replies would be much appreciated :)

Kezen

Banned
Framerate drops below 60 even with 75% draw distance. My 4770K has been brought back to stock for stability purposes, so I will have to live with that.

60fps locked indoor but my CPU lets me down in open areas.

I had to lower the draw distance to 75% to get the game running at 60fps.
Otherwise, looks good and runs well.

How does the draw distance look at that setting?

Is the pop in/lod noticeable when you're parkouring around or only if you really try to look for it?

Kezen

Banned
How does the draw distance look at that setting?
There is a noticeable loss in detail but it's fine. You have comparisons here :
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/dying-light-graphics-and-performance-guide

Is the pop in/lod noticeable when you're parkouring around or only if you really try to look for it?
If you are very sensitive to pop-in Dying Light is not a game for you. You don't have to look for it, it jumps right at your face. 100% draw distance is better but it brings down my fps to 30 (or lower) so that's a no.

d00d3n

Any impressions from SLI gaf? How good is the scaling? (have the whole work day ahead of me, so no Dying Light for me for a couple of hours)

Lulubop

That CA, holy shit. Why is this a thing? Also I feel like the devs released a video of the game awhile back and it looked much better. Maybe around the time the PC recommended specs were revealed.

Would be very interested to here from folk playing at 1440p (G-Sync) with the (or close to) following specs:

Win 7.1 OS
780Ti GPU
4770k @4.4 CPU
16mb 2400mhz RAM
Samsung Evo SSD

Kezen

Banned
This game seems to have poor multithreading. I'm seeing one care maxed and very little activity on the others.

The game has optimization issues on PC no doubt about that but performance is acceptable on my PC (970/4770k).
Not 60fps locked outdoor but very playable 45 ish.

Regarding graphics it's not the most impressive game out there but it holds its own, I think 2013 footage looked better still.

This game seems to have poor multithreading. I'm seeing one care maxed and very little activity on the others.

The game has optimization issues on PC no doubt about that but performance is acceptable on my PC (970/4770k).
Not 60fps locked outdoor but very playable 45 ish.

Regarding graphics it's not the most impressive game out there but it holds its own, I think 2013 footage looked better still.

how high can you push the resolution before your gpu limits you outdoors at 75% draw distance? im assuming youre previous posts were 1080p/1200p?

Kezen

Banned
how high can you push the resolution before your gpu limits you outdoors at 75% draw distance? im assuming youre previous posts were 1080p/1200p?

I'm running at 1080p. GPU usage drops in outdoor areas and so does my framerate.
No problems indoor obviously.

I left the FOV to its default value.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I would love to report on the performance of this game on my PC, but I should have known better. This game still has the same issues as Dead Island and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. If your keyboard is set to any language different from your OS, all the text in the menus disappear:

wPAGYIe.png

I have my OS set to English but my keyboard to Spanish, so, welp. I could try to fix it, but it would require changing the settings back and forth every time I want to play the game.

Top Bottom