• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z RETURNS! 20th Anniversary Non-Suck Edition!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyV

Banned
Snaku said:
Yeah, Tenshinhan and Kamesennin most notable. Though it's been rumored that they wouldn't redub those characters.

well knowing the Japanese and how they even honor WWII war criminals with temples, it makes sense out of respect they wouldnt redub dead peoples roles, especially with a show a "legendary" as dragon ball.

/end stereotyping rant

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
jimmbow said:
well knowing the Japanese and how they even honor WWII war criminals with temples, it makes sense out of respect they wouldnt redub dead peoples roles, especially with a show a "legendary" as dragon ball.

/end stereotyping rant
Yeah, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you shame someone in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public would not accept re-dubbed VOs in this case, and would not want to purchase DBK, nor would they purchase any of the company's other products. This would be HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but they would alienate an entire market with that sort of move.

If all of that took place, only a public apology, and canceling of DBK would work - or they could kiss all their business goodbye.

lol

JimmyV

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
Yeah, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you shame someone in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public would not accept re-dubbed VOs in this case, and would not want to purchase DBK, nor would they purchase any of the company's other products. This would be HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but they would alienate an entire market with that sort of move.

If all of that took place, only a public apology, and canceling of DBK would work - or they could kiss all their business goodbye.

lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Snaku

Banned
Official website update! Looks like the new theme song for Dragon Ball Kai will be performed at the Tokyo International Anime Fair on March 20th. Still no word on who will be performing it, and whether it'll be a totally original song or a revamped Cha-la Head-Cha-la or We Gotta Power. Masako Nozawa (Son Goku) will also be on-hand for an interview.

Snaku

Banned
jett said:
Eh, what happened to that "we are extending the frames" BS? They're just cropping it.

The way it was worded it sounded like it was for select scenes that look awkward, and action scenes. Toei's been deceptive with their advertising footage in the past, so this video may not represent the actual product.

Blueblur1

I'm been reading this thread every so often and I was under the impression they were redoing the art. I finally started paying attention and I'm disappointed. I would have preferred a full refresh. Oh well. :(

Snaku

Banned
Did some comparison shots between the ad and footage from the Dragon Box. Like I said, this ad footage may not be final.

14m5m6x.jpg

9jdefn.jpg

k0szsn.jpg

9scv1e.jpg

Looks like they're re-framing it, unlike Funimation's lazy ass season sets where they just automatically cropped just the dead middle of the screen, heads and other important information be damned.

Blader

I just realized...when Funi inevitable dubs this, they're not going to use Faulconer's music, are they?

fuck =(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Snaku said:
Did some comparison shots between the ad and footage from the Dragon Box. Like I said, this ad footage may not be final.

14m5m6x.jpg

9jdefn.jpg

k0szsn.jpg

9scv1e.jpg

Looks like they're re-framing it, unlike Funimation's lazy ass season sets where they just automatically cropped just the dead middle of the screen, heads and other important information be damned.

If that's final, I'm heavily disappointed.

Yeah, not really liking what seems to be where it's heading. Could be better but it could be worse as well. Still not happy about Funimation's widescreen.

inner-G

Banned
Blader5489 said:
I just realized...when Funi inevitable dubs this, they're not going to use Faulconer's music, are they?

fuck =(
On the new 16:9 boxsets they have a Dub + original Japanese music track.

Blader

inner-G said:
On the new 16:9 boxsets they have a Dub + original Japanese music track.

Is it still Faulconer's though?

What I meant was that Faulconer since was fired years ago, if they would reuse his music for when they inevitably dub DBKai, or if they'll go with the guy who made the shitty music for GT.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
VGChampion said:
Yeah, not really liking what seems to be where it's heading. Could be better but it could be worse as well. Still not happy about Funimation's widescreen.

At least it seems better than what this supposedly is. D:

JimmyV

Banned
Snaku said:

14m5m6x.jpg

9jdefn.jpg

k0szsn.jpg

9scv1e.jpg

I'm glad their at least going scene by scene, and not just cropping it the same all the way through

Snaku

Banned
jimmbow said:
I'm glad their at least going scene by scene, and not just cropping it the same all the way through

Yeah, and we're actually getting a little bit of unseen footage vertically than was seen in the Dragon Box's in some scenes too. And we'll always have the Dragon Box's if we want to watch the original completely unchanged. Toei's not pretending that the original doesn't exist.

Whereas Funimation didn't even finish releasing the series uncut in 4:3 before switching over to their cheap ass auto crop jobbed orange bricks, and discontinuing the old 4:3 releases.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Snaku said:
They don't own the home video distribution rights for the first 13 episodes. The current holder's contract is due to expire soon, unless they renew it. Funimation is waiting to see what happens.
Is there any further reading on this? I've been waiting for the Funi DVD of season one forever. ;.;

Tokubetsu

Kagari said:
Rewatching the Cell Games saga is depressing because everything after it isn't as awesome. :(

This is pretty much how I've felt about DBZ, even back when I was in high school. The entire Buu saga is garbage with garbage animation for a good portion of it. Majin Vegeta vs Goku is the highlight and even that is meh, bogged down with episodes of fucking horrendous animation.

Troidal

I'm LTTP here but I learned about this a few days ago and I have to say this might finally redeem the really terrible pacing of the old version. I can't blame them back then since most anime tend to catch up with the manga counterpart and have to use tons of filler episodes until the manga progresses its story. But after 20 years and a classic, this is a well-deserved remastering. In fact, I may now buy this new version on DVD/BR if its convincingly good.

Hopefully the new theme songs aren't done by some shit J-POP/J-ROCK artist...because you know how most "anime songs" are from avex nowadays, good lord.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tokubetsu said:
This is pretty much how I've felt about DBZ, even back when I was in high school. The entire Buu saga is garbage with garbage animation for a good portion of it. Majin Vegeta vs Goku is the highlight and even that is meh, bogged down with episodes of fucking horrendous animation.

Yeah, it was pretty bad... shouldn't even be canon :( It was like Toriyama was just making up shit as he went along and threw everything from the past sagas out the window.

Calcaneus

Kagari said:
Rewatching the Cell Games saga is depressing because everything after it isn't as awesome. :(
Something about the Buu arc didn't feel like the other seasons. Maybe its because the show had been going on for so long, but it didn't feel like anything that happened really mattered, that Buu was ever a real threat. I was just really bored at that point.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Kagari said:
Yeah, it was pretty bad... shouldn't even be canon :( It was like Toriyama was just making up shit as he went along and threw everything from the past sagas out the window.
Akira Toriyama has already admitted that he never plans anything out and instead just wrote Dragonball chapter to chapter. This is probably a trait that stems from his gag manga roots.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Calcaneus said:
Something about the Buu arc didn't feel like the other seasons. Maybe its because the show had been going on for so long, but it didn't feel like anything that happened really mattered, that Buu was ever a real threat. I was just really bored at that point.

Should have ended after Cell.

Blader

Kagari said:
Should have ended after Cell.

That would have been the better ending, but personally, I like the Buu saga. It's complete nonsense, but it also has some of my favorite moments of the whole (like Vegeta admitting Goku is better than him). Hell, I love every part of that whole Kid Buu fight, and the animation (for the most part) is top notch. And Faulconer's music for the Buu saga is awesome.

Now GT, on the other hand, is pure shit.

Blader5489 said:
Is it still Faulconer's though?

What I meant was that Faulconer since was fired years ago, if they would reuse his music for when they inevitably dub DBKai, or if they'll go with the guy who made the shitty music for GT.
In the Remastered DVD sets, you have the option to listen to the Faulconer music starting with the Ginyu saga when he started doing the music for the series.

As for Dragonball GT, Funimation redeemed themselves by making Dan Dan in English, and making it sound even better than the Japanese version.

Blader5489 said:
I would have said the same thing, but then I bought the Remastered DVD, rewatched the first two sagas, and... well, I was actually entertained. No filler, and there is a great sense of adventure that has been missing in the series since Dragonball. Yes, they messed up some characters (like Vegeta and Gohan), but I find GT FAAAAAAARR more enjoyable than the Majin Buu saga. Or the Cell Saga.

EDIT: Who's the girl in your avatar?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Blader5489 said:
That would have been the better ending, but personally, I like the Buu saga. It's complete nonsense, but it also has some of my favorite moments of the whole (like Vegeta admitting Goku is better than him). Hell, I love every part of that whole Kid Buu fight, and the animation (for the most part) is top notch. And Faulconer's music for the Buu saga is awesome.

Never saw the dub for either. Only Japanese versions...

Good thing GT is largely ignored :D It was okay in the beginning, but still shit all around.

But uh... only saw the earlier seasons in English, but have seen some clips of the Buu saga (namely the fight with Gohan and Buu) and goddamn did they fuck that up. Changing lines and all around just horrible VA... ugh.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
KeeSomething said:
In the Remastered DVD sets, you have the option to listen to the Faulconer music starting with the Ginyu saga when he started doing the music for the series.

Really?? YES!

Kletian

Yeah the DVD sets give you the option of

Original Japanese VO with original Japanese Music
Funimation Redub with Funimation Music
Funimation Redub with original Japanese Music

With the exception of Spirit Vs. Spirit, I guess they couldnt get the license. Which sucks because that was the whole reason I got the Cell Games Box set.

Kletian said:
The original song that plays during Gohan's SSJ2 Transformation
They took that out?! How bizzarre! Completely un-mondo cool.

I still think Gohan's Innocence and the Ginyu Force theme are the best tracks.

Blader

KeeSomething said:
They took that out?! How bizzarre! Completely un-mondo cool.

I still think Gohan's Innocence and the Ginyu Force theme are the best tracks.

I think he's referring to the Japanese song. The English one that plays during Gohan's transformation is played like a hundred times in the series.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Blader5489 said:
I think he's referring to the Japanese song. The English one that plays during Gohan's transformation is played like a hundred times in the series.

The Japanese track is still there.

JimmyV

Banned
Snaku said:
Yeah, and we're actually getting a little bit of unseen footage vertically than was seen in the Dragon Box's in some scenes too. And we'll always have the Dragon Box's if we want to watch the original completely unchanged. Toei's not pretending that the original doesn't exist.

Whereas Funimation didn't even finish releasing the series uncut in 4:3 before switching over to their cheap ass auto crop jobbed orange bricks, and discontinuing the old 4:3 releases.

I really wish I could still buy the Dragon Boxes :( !! Back when they came out I was too young, now I have the means to afford them. I also really want the Digimon Box sets. ACTUALLY, wasnt there a website that let you purchase from Yahoo Japan Auctions and other Japanese sites for a fee?

Snaku

Banned
jimmbow said:
I really wish I could still buy the Dragon Boxes :( !! Back when they came out I was too young, now I have the means to afford them. I also really want the Digimon Box sets. ACTUALLY, wasnt there a website that let you purchase from Yahoo Japan Auctions and other Japanese sites for a fee?

I've used Rinkya before, they're pretty good. Or you can buy the individual Dragon Box single DVDs. Their awesome cover art almost makes them a cooler buy.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Snaku said:

14m5m6x.jpg

9jdefn.jpg

So they are adding a tiny amount to the sides, while chopping a shit load from the bottom. great :/

TheExodu5

Banned
I hope it includes the amazing FUNimation soundtrack. Way better than both the Japanese and shitty ass YTV soundtrack.

edit: wait...do I have it wrong. Which version has the awesome guitar tracks...like when Gohan goes SSJ2?

edit2: seems the guy who wrote the soundtrack is called Bruce Faulconer.

Like this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QiE_TEApXM&feature=related

Simple...but still friggin' awesome. Fits DBZ's theme so well.

KeeSomething said:

As for Dragonball GT, Funimation redeemed themselves by making Dan Dan in English, and making it sound even better than the Japanese version.

I would have said the same thing, but then I bought the Remastered DVD, rewatched the first two sagas, and... well, I was actually entertained. No filler, and there is a great sense of adventure that has been missing in the series since Dragonball. Yes, they messed up some characters (like Vegeta and Gohan), but I find GT FAAAAAAARR more enjoyable than the Majin Buu saga. Or the Cell Saga.

EDIT: Who's the girl in your avatar?

Pretty cool that they re-did Dan Dan in English, especially since the original US theme was such garbage, but man, that singer is out of tune too much in the song.

Edit: So I youtubed it and the one I heard was a German version or something. I checked out another one after noticing that Vic was in tune to the original japanese music, and found that one in tune. Guess the German distortion guitar version just has guitars that are not hitting the correct notes. Oh well.

Snaku

Banned
23krqx0.jpg

Both the new opening and ending themes will be sung by Takayoshi Tanimoto.

Opening Song: Dragon Soul
Ending Song: Yeah! Break! Care Break!

Faulconer did a pretty decent job, but I still prefer the original Japanese score.

Snaku said:
Ending Song: Yeah! Break! Care Break!

This song title = pure hilarity. :lol So, have any samples for the themes emerged or will we just have to wait two weeks for Tanimoto to crow?

Just Youtube'ed the English GT opening, so much better than the rap shit they did for the original (not that that is hard to achieve).

Even sung by Edward from FMA lol! :lol

They butchered GT so much when it was first dubbed, cut the start just for the sake of it (to get to more fighting bits? lol) and added SUCH a horrible score and opening. Yuck.

I still reckon they did such a wonderful job with Dragon Ball though, wish all of what followed was always a similar quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom