• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of wish KRZ didn't feel so under the radar, really deserves a wider audience. :(

I'm still hoping we'll get the next act soon. The wait between the previous 2 acts was insane, but it led to the best act yet. Still, the longer it goes, the less income the maker or makers is going to receive for it, as most of the sales are likely front-loaded. Hopefully he's doing something else for income in the meantime.

Brashnir

I'm about to watch the Apotheon ql.

I played for 20min or so on Tuesday. I love the concept of the game but I found the artstyle and UI kinda difficult to navigate. It looks great but it looks messy.

That's exactly how I feel about it too. I love the way it looks aesthetically, but I hate the way it looks when it comes to playing and interacting with it.

Alfredo

I never finished Snake Eater, but apparently it's one of the top five wrestling matches of all time. I'm super stoked for Metal Gear Scanlon 3.

ljAExOj.png

Myggen

Bringing this over to this thread so I can add a couple of things:

A list of (some of) the Premium content worth watching/listening to:

- A lot of the UPF episodes, e.g. the Second Life episode, the PS4 Playroom episode, the Dream Gear episode, the Lego Island episode, the Halcyon episode, the one with the whole crew back in SF, the Paul Ryckert episode etc.

- Every Random PC Game feature (1-10 on that list are all the available videos)

- Mario Party Party - 50 turns of sadness, Mario Party Party 2 and Mario Party Party 3: The Saddening/Nobody Wins

- On The Green With Sim Golf, Members Only SNES Party, The Olympic Games Olympiad

- The Breaking Brad: Demon's Souls series, the Load Our Last Souls series, the Metal Gear Scanlon series (season 1, season 2, season 3)

- Backflips n' Bioforge

- Vinny plays Bot Company, goes insane, Vinny plays Velvet Sundown

- Drew is a North Korean spy, Iceland: The Cutting Room Floor

- All the Premium Flight Club videos, like Digital Combat Simulator: P-51D Mustang Beta

- The best TNTs: Fortune Street, Dead Island, Gears of War 3, Cards Against Humanity etc.

- The Running of the Lanterns, and various Breaking Brads like Doom II Ultra Violence, Volgarr the Viking etc.

- The Load Our Last Save features. Freedom Fighters is a great place to start.

- Demo Disc Derby (10 videos so far)

- Giant Bomb Unplugged: Pathfinder, Giant Bomb Unplugged: Avalon, Giant Bomb Unplugged: Dungeons & Dragons

- Podcasts: Bomb After Reading: Sphere, A Very Ryckert Holiday: Conversations With Dan & Paul, The Powerbombcast episode 14 (but really, every Powerbombcast is worth listening to), Danswers 02/02/2015 - The Dantroduction

Visceir

Man, the new unplugged episode was all kinds of underwhelming and seemed all over the place. I really enjoyed the previous Pathfinder one and have been watching the gametrailers D&D tabletop stuff and those seem much more fun.

Granted they didn't even start the adventure yet but it just feels like some of them don't even want to be there and just lack any sort of imagination and enthusiasm for it.

Patryn

Man, the new unplugged episode was all kinds of underwhelming and seemed all over the place. I really enjoyed the previous Pathfinder one and have been watching the gametrailers D&D tabletop stuff and those seem much more fun.

Granted they didn't even start the adventure yet but it just feels like some of them don't even want to be there and just lack any sort of imagination and enthusiasm for it.

While it was slow, I didn't get the sense that they didn't want to be there. They all seemed to get pretty into creating their characters.

The closest to anything was Dan not quite understanding what D&D is, but that's to be expected.

Zaph

Speaking of D&D, this post from earlier is great:
I dunno, I dunno. Dumb is one thing, like it's absolutely a fun aspect of a character, "strong and charming, but rather dimwitted." That isn't really what a 6 corresponds to though, within the ruleset, hell within the simple bellcurve math and distributions. A 6 is more like severe learning difficulties. It's straight up mentally handicapped. "The disabled fellow with the big smile and muscles." I assume Dan's image of his character is that of an uncomplicated, simple-thinking bruiser with high aspirations, but he's ended up with Hodor dressed in silk robes.

simantics_dnd_iq.bmp

Distributions showing natural three dice totals, and the 'heroic' equivalent values that they used, with 4 dice ignoring the lowest. 6 is reaaally low, it sits easily in the extreme outlier realm of things.

Which, don't get me wrong, isn't to be all stiff and claim this shit is super-important; Rorie is free to use or interpret all of these numbers as best suits the story. And I've no doubt he will. But it's arguably simpler to just ensure that everyone's stats sit on the in-world scale at a realistic and roleplayable level. Bumping the 6s to 8s won't stop those characteristics from being sucky, but the numbers will at least crossreference against other NPCs more nicelier.

I can't wait until Dan realises his character is a lot less the Red Viper and a lot more Hodor.

Myggen

Well, people were making the same complaints after the first Pathfinder episode since that was also just the creation of characters. I think it'll pick up when they actually start the adventure. I didn't get the feeling that some of them didn't want to be there though.

valeo

Well, people were making the same complaints after the first Pathfinder episode since that was also just the creation of characters. I think it'll pick up when they actually start the adventure. I didn't get the feeling that some of them didn't want to be there though.

Yeah, though Vinny made that more entertaining than it had any right to be really.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Speaking of D&D, this post from earlier is great:

I can't wait until Dan realises his character is a lot less the Red Viper and a lot more Hodor.

Here's to hoping he finds a reason to cut an in-character promo as brain damaged Ric Flair.

Either that or communicates only using various intonations of "Wooo!"

Ya know, when I think back on my favorite GB content, I always think of how much I enjoyed the Breaking Brad of Doom II on Ultra Violence. I would love for somebody to do a similar run through Dark Forces.

TraBuch

Banned
Didn't the first episode of Pathfinder feature V-Bomb killing a goblin by climbing up some moss and dropping a big stone arm onto it?

Ugh, Vinny's enthusiasm is going to be severely missed.

Bacon

Ya know, when I think back on my favorite GB content, I always think of how much I enjoyed the Breaking Brad of Doom II on Ultra Violence. I would love for somebody to do a similar run through Dark Forces.

Didn't Brad Muir sit in on one of those? That was good stuff, I agree.

Myggen

Jeff on Tumblr, didn't see this posted here:

rathbonelljk asked:In respect of the rise of popularity of youtube gaming personalities, and the decline of print gaming media and the more contemporary decline of internet gaming web sites: I'd like to ask how much did you see this coming? In starting a video/personality based website it seems like you've surfed a wave and secured the future of the site, and the jobs of your team. It seems remarkably prescient. Where you lucky? Or did you just have your finger on the pulse? Thanks Jeff - all the best.
Print’s been on a downward slope since the 90s, it wasn’t hard to see that the internet was going to replace it eventually. Watching the big sites get bigger and more bloated as publishers started to wriggle around and threaten to commandeer standard preview coverage by posting it themselves on YouTube instead of giving exclusives to web sites made it easy to see that what had become the standard model for a video game web site wasn’t going to be viable forever, either. Those sites are largely based on access—they get access to pre-release information and share it, you go there because no one else has it.

But, really, we weren’t in a position to even try to compete with the aging huge sites when we launched. We didn’t have the size to play the increasingly dead exclusives game. And the way Google SEO works makes them too entrenched to take on directly. They still are. So we found different areas that weren’t being taken seriously at that level (launching a podcast at GameSpot was like pulling teeth and was never taken especially seriously) and focused on those. Those were usually the things we had the most fun doing, anyway, so it worked out.

In some ways, YouTube personalities and Twitch streams feel like they’re poised to do to traditional game sites what traditional game sites did to print. At the same time, struggling publishers could swoop in and start a big Fair Use fight to wrangle ad money out of the YouTube people, which would disrupt the whole thing and probably drive a lot of people away, regardless of the outcome. Also, a lot of people coming up these days seem to not really care about the idea of an independent voice for game coverage. They’re happy to get it directly from the publisher or don’t especially care if a personality is only talking about a product because they’re getting paid to do so. That’s a little disheartening, I suppose, but not especially surprising.

I like to think that we have enough of a foot in each world to handle whatever happens from here. We’ll see how it all shakes out.

Mr. F

Banned
Jeff on Tumblr, didn't see this posted here:

Makes me wonder how much room there is for YouTube personalities before the whole thing collapses under itself (if ever that were a possibility). Seems like new Lets Play 'celebrities' pop up with rapidly increasing frequency.

Also Jeff needs to write a book someday, love when he goes in-depth like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom