• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Gamer interview with Dragon's Dogma Online's producer and director

duckroll

http://www.4gamer.net/games/289/G028968/20150114071/

It's a fairly extensive Japanese interview with producer Minae Matsukawa and director Kent Kinoshita. It covers some points which I think people might be interested in:

- They confirm that the game started development at around Spring 2013 after Dark Arisen was completed. The development team is largely the same as those who made DD and DA, but Capcom's Development Division 2 will be helping with overall management and so on due to their experience from running online games like Monster Hunter Frontier.

- The game uses MT Framework, so they won't have any issues with supporting the PC platform. They cannot say if cross platform play is available for PC/PS3/PS4 at this point, but will announce the details when they have been finalized.

- The reason they went for F2P is because they want to lower the barrier of entry. They want people who have not played Dragon's Dogma before to be able to check it out, so if a friend recommends it, they can just download the client and join in. They're not ready to talk about the exact business model yet, but the game will not use a Stamina system. They're not keen on limiting the gameplay in artificial ways, and way players to be able to explore the open world as freely as possible.

- There will be fast travel, you can teleport to locations you have visited before, but it will cost in-game currency. You won't need job points to change classes either in this game, they want players to be able to freely experiment with all the different classes available including advanced classes.

- The open world at the point of the service launch will be about the same size as Dragon's Dogma, but they have plans on expanding it with more content until it is 3 times as large as the original game.

- One of the larger scale 8 player events that will be available is a fortress defense mission of sorts where you have to protect the NPC Vanessa while holding back an assault from Orcs and Cyclopses.

Pooya

so far it sounds too good to me coming from first game. Their business model will make it or break it.

Good news is they say the world is actually open. I was worried with the transition to Online F2P we'd only be seeing instanced areas similar to Monster Hunter or somesuch. Hopefully we can still just go out and explore to our heart's content without much interference.

Everything in those points sounds reasonable, the developers really seem like they want this to work.

As long as management doesn't cock up with the f2p payment this might be something good.

Akiller

- They confirm that the game started development at around Spring 2013 after Dark Arisen was completed. The development team is largely the same as those who made DD and DA, but Capcom's Development Division 2 will be helping with overall management and so on due to their experience from running online games like Monster Hunter Frontier.

So they already had a pretty clear idea of what to do with D'sD, that also explains the PS3 version.

- The game uses MT Framework, so they won't have any issues with supporting the PC platform. They cannot say if cross platform play is available for PC/PS3/PS4 at this point, but will announce the details when they have been finalized.

Not sure if serious...
or just Capcom.

zoobzone

Its nice to see that parties will be formed in a lobby and once your party sets out to an adventure in the open world, your game play wont be affected by any other players.

duckroll

Not sure if serious...
or just Capcom.

MT Framework has shown that it works really well on PC in the last, including online stuff such as Lost Planet 2. The statement was about how they shouldn't have a technical hurdle for the PC version. I think if they were using Panta Rhei on the other hand, there might be concerns since the engine is still in development.

JNA

Banned
So...Is the game a figment of our imaginations or something?

I think he meant why couldn't they just make a sequel instead of this. Which in that case, I agree with him. It's basically KOTOR 3 all over again. Instead of making a sequal we all want, they make a risker and unneeded MMO.

- A Capcom F2P MMO especially. Capcom handling a game with Microtransactions is like having the people that made Sonic 06 write a screenplay.
- the game graphics wise looks pretty much the same as the DD1 does: last gen. "Graphics aren't everything you dudebro!" True but unless this was made by an indie developer, it's not like we shouldn't have higher expectations in the year of 2015 right? The game doesn't even look that good for an MMO in that department either.
- The gameplay is going to be largely affected by the fact it is F2P alone. Grinding and earning exp for example is going to be largely affected by this.

There is obviously more to it but overall, I simply don't trust Capcom to make a fair F2P game. I really wish they did this for something else and not to an IP I really enjoy that could really use a sequel instead. :(

I would love nothing more to be wrong though and see that the game actually turns out to be great anyway despite the doubts.

Sounds good, while I'm not crazy about the F2P model, I'm cautiously optimisitc. No money for class changes is good, and I like the idea of no stamina.

duckroll

So will no stamina bars make this game too hack n slash? The combat system was the best thing about DD

Sorry, I should clarify, when they say no Stamina system, they're talking about the F2P mechanic where there's an energy meter which drains as you play or as you take on missions, and the only way to recharge it is to wait x hours or pay with microtransactions.

Lux R7

Just give it to me.

need-it.gif

JNA

Banned
Sorry, I should clarify, when they say no Stamina system, they're talking about the F2P mechanic where there's an energy meter which drains as you play or as you take on missions, and the only way to recharge it is to wait x hours or pay with microtransactions.

I thought stamina meters was only a thing in mobile games.

What F2P MMOs have stamina meters? 0_0

I thought stamina meters was only a thing in mobile games.

What F2P MMOs have stamina meters? 0_0

I think there was a F2P Online 2D Sidescrolling Brawler that had a stamina meter. The name escapes me at the moment. It was even on steam for a bit.

matt-smith.gif

I welcome all those changes.

Curious about the stamina system disapearing but then a cooldown for habilities would be needed.

The map size pleases me greatly .. i need a serious amount of caves within it.

The 8 player defending missions has my interest ... thankfully the Ai behavior won't suck ..

Overall much happy by those new info.

Then this is even better

I think he meant why couldn't they just make a sequel instead of this. Which in that case, I agree with him. It's basically KOTOR 3 all over again. Instead of making a sequal we all want, they make a risker and unneeded MMO.

- A Capcom F2P MMO especially. Capcom handling a game with Microtransactions is like having the people that made Sonic 06 write a screenplay.
- the game graphics wise looks pretty much the same as the DD1 does: last gen. "Graphics aren't everything you dudebro!" True but unless this was made by an indie developer, it's not like we shouldn't have higher expectations in the year of 2015 right? The game doesn't even look that good for an MMO in that department either.
- The gameplay is going to be largely affected by the fact it is F2P alone. Grinding and earning exp for example is going to be largely affected by this.

There is obviously more to it but overall, I simply don't trust Capcom to make a fair F2P game. I really wish they did this for something else and not to an IP I really enjoy that could really use a sequel instead. :(

I would love nothing more to be wrong though and see that the game actually turns out to be great anyway despite the doubts.

Despite what you just listed, a F2P game is probably going to make more money than a sequel to DD. That game did alright, and I mean merely "alright". A sequel isn't guaranteed money, especially when the fighting system in this game seems like a more expanded DD.

But I'm willing to bet that this and Deep Down's profits go towards a sequel. They are playing it safe, testing the waters, and once they have the funds, I'm sure Itsuno will get the ball rolling.

I'm probably being more positive about this because that NeoGaf leaker said there was already a game like DD on the way, but kinda like how Bloodbourne is to Demon's Souls. If he wasn't referring to Deep Down, it may have been DD2.

Interesting. I didn't think any developer would try to pull that off. XD

Some Asian mmo have stamina system to "protect" its players. Mostly dungeon based games, such as Blade & Soul, Dragon Nest, Kingdom under Fire II, and perhaps Vindictus (not sure about this one).
As we all have heard in the past few years, there have been several cases of death from long session of gaming.

JNA

Banned
Despite what you just listed, a F2P game is probably going to make more money than a sequel to DD. That game did alright, and I mean merely "alright". A sequel isn't guaranteed money, especially when the fighting system in this game seems like a more expanded DD.

But I'm willing to bet that this and Deep Down's profits go towards a sequel. They are playing it safe, testing the waters, and once they have the funds, I'm sure Itsuno will get the ball rolling.

I'm probably being more positive about this because that NeoGaf leaker said there was already a game like DD on the way, but kinda like how Bloodbourne is to Demon's Souls. If he wasn't referring to Deep Down, it may have been DD2.

I hope you're right. :(

Some Asian mmo have stamina system to "protect" its players. Mostly dungeon based games, such as Blade & Soul, Dragon Nest, Kingdom under Fire II, and perhaps Vindictus (not sure about this one).
As we all have heard in the past few years, there have been several cases of death from long session of gaming.

Yeah sadly I heard.

It's interesting how in the West, you have to put down incentives like daily login rewards to keep players playing the game but in the East, you are bound by restrictions from some games to continue playing. Really curious why that is the case? 0_0

Grief.exe

In development ever since Dark Arisen came out, eh?

The game uses MT Framework, so they won't have any issues with supporting the PC platform

Meanwhile the original game cries in a corner

Just preaches to their ignorance on the first game. The ironic thing is, if Capcom had the foresight to release a PC version initially, we would likely be getting a Dragon's Dogma 2 at this point.
Games with solid word of mouth tend to sell large amounts of copies over a very long period of time. The first game still would have been generating revenue instead of largely cannibalized in the used market when the positive word of mouth began circulating.

Well they said the reason they went F2P initially was to lower the barrier to entry. Those fundamentals carry over to the graphical fidelity as well, keep The minimum requirements lower so it can run on PS3s and lower end PCs.

Grewitch

I like what they're trying to say but, to be honest, f2p and whatever business model they come up with leaves me hesitant in the meantime. Cautiously optimistic.

The more I read the less I want this to be online.

Why couldn't it be an actual game ;.;

So since the game is online it's fake? I understand your plight though, you wanted an actual DD2.

I like what they're trying to say but, to be honest, f2p and whatever business model they come up with leaves me hesitant in the meantime. Cautiously optimistic.

Depending on what's locked behind the paywall you could just not care, like I do with Vindictus.

This sounds/looks like Dragon's Dogma with multiplayer added. The environments look bland (like in DD) and if the quests are poorly designed, then it'll truly be a like the original.

In what ways could F2P make this a bad DD followup? That's not a rhetorical question either; I genuinely want to know and don't fully understand the doom-saying. If the gameplay (the actual draw of DD — doubt many played it for the quests/single-player atmosphere) remains intact (which seems to be the case), then why are some acting like F2P is a death sentence?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I hope you're right. :(

Yeah sadly I heard.

It's interesting how in the West, you have to put down incentives like daily login rewards to keep players playing the game but in the East, you are bound by restrictions from some games to continue playing. Really curious why that is the case? 0_0
This has also been a localization issue where a lot of Asian MMOs have removed the stamina bars for Western releases.

Top Bottom