• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tri-Ace acquired by Nepro Japan, becomes dedicated smartphone/tablet mobile dev

Datschge

For those crying over no more Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile, realistically this sale didn't even change anything. Square Enix dropped both brands like hot potatoes after their respective last entries and tri-Ace along with it. And seeing how Square Enix made Nepro's MGS do Lord of Vermilion 3 for them they could also come to Nepro's tri-Ace for a new Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile, that as likely as it was before the sale.

Parfait

Get ready for Star Ocean: Mobile and Valkyrie Profile Card battles.

There goes any chance of PC ports too I guess..

587_2.jpg

Worst character in recent memory.
Dude, no! She is not even close to Lymle, kay.
jkow1lj.jpg

Leave lymle and Sarah alone it's not their fault they were animated poorly

DSix

Banned
Less than 6 millions worth for Tri-Ace, even tho their output wasn't good lately, it seems real cheap.

I guess it was either that or slowly going under (as most such Japanese independent companies did).

Natheren

Damn here I was excited while back about a potential new Star Ocean being announced =(
Guess the series really is dead now. RIP Tri-Ace

Nanashrew

Banned
jkow1lj.jpg

Leave lymle and Sarah alone it's not their fault they were animated poorly

I don't think it was just animation. Lymle wasn't very good at all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Damn here I was excited while back about a potential new Star Ocean being announced =(
Guess the series really is dead now. RIP Tri-Ace

When was that? Last I heard, Yoshinori said that the game was originally supposed to be a trilogy and he accomplished everything he wanted to do with the franchise and wanted to move on. He also had no plans to ever make remakes because "I'd rather make a new game"

Terrell

When was that? Last I heard, Yoshinori said that the game was originally supposed to be a trilogy and he accomplished everything he wanted to do with the franchise and wanted to move on. He also had no plans to ever make remakes because "I'd rather make a new game"
I'd rather have Yoshinori not making mobile games because his company didn't make enough money and became ripe for sale.
Obviously life doesn't always give us what we want.

Awww, Lennneth is so cute here! This makes me want to play Star Ocean 3, again.

I think that Lymle and Meracle are underrated characters. Though I do admit they could both be more mature.

I kind of wish something like Starbound, but with Star Ocean existed. Exploring lots of planets, instead of saving the universe. Whenever I'm playing Starbound, I wish I could play as a Fellpool.

Xenus

Wowzers. Loved Radiata Stories.

Me too I'm sad it was never tried to be made a series the living breathing world with it's own routine has been tried many times but that was one of the few games I felt it actually worked.

Awww, Lennneth is so cute here! This makes me want to play Star Ocean 3, again.

I think that Lymle and Meracle are underrated characters. Though I do admit they could both be more mature.

I kind of wish something like Starbound, but with Star Ocean excited. Exploring lots of planets, instead of saving the universe. Whenever I'm playing Starbound, I wish I could play as a Fellpool.

Star Ocean until 4 really suffered from let's go to multiple planets but spend 95%+ of our time on one

No Infinite Undiscovery 2 for Xbox One?

WHY!!!?

Yuck, Infinite Undiscovery was awful. Having said that, this is sad. I take it Phantasy Star Nova didn't sell well? I don't take this as a death toll though, smartphones can still be great JRPG devices. Hopefully they'll be able to make a few standard RPGs down the line if the expected ftp games do well.

_woLf

FUCK

THAT

They made some of my favorite RPGs of last gen :(

I am SO fucking tired of the huge mobile game push ruining top Japanese studios...

Xenus

Yuck, Infinite Undiscovery was awful. Having said that, this is sad. I take it Phantasy Star Nova didn't sell well? I don't take this as a death toll though, smartphones can still be great JRPG devices. Hopefully they'll be able to make a few standard RPGs down the line if the expected ftp games do well.

The problem is that Tri-Ace is kind of known for a realtime battle system which I'm not sure really fits the mobile market at all. Due to touch inputs being more limiting

duckroll

For those crying over no more Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile, realistically this sale didn't even change anything. Square Enix dropped both brands like hot potatoes after their respective last entries and tri-Ace along with it. And seeing how Square Enix made Nepro's MGS do Lord of Vermilion 3 for them they could also come to Nepro's tri-Ace for a new Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile, that as likely as it was before the sale.

Blue Sphere 2 coming sooner than we think?! (lol) :(

Star Ocean until 4 really suffered from let's go to multiple planets but spend 95%+ of our time on one
I agree. Star Ocean 3 did that, too. I think moreso maybe than Star Ocean 4. You spent a lot of time on several planets on Star Ocean 4. On Star Ocean 3, you spent most of your time on Elicoor II.

Elicoor II was a beautiful place that reminded me of Northwest Europe. But it wasn't much of a Space Opera game, that way. And while the idea for the ending was amazing and reflects my ideas for the future of virtual reality or synthetic reality. And an interesting philosophical idea for video games, about the mind in a box or God. I don't think it was a very good idea for the Star Ocean series.

To be honest, Star Ocean 4 felt more like a Space Opera than Star Ocean 3. Which was focused on Elicoor and Fantasy, and Virtual Reality and philosophical ideas of God.

alangato

Neo Member
Oh no, Imageepoch seems to be closing, and now THIS... who's next Nippon Ichi? Tri-Crescendo? I thought this gen would be the glorious return of JRPGs :(

Not that imageepoch would save JRPGs anyway heh

Maybe someday mobile will include Windows 10. The ultrabook I'm using right now is kind of like a mobile device.

I hope so. I would love to see tri-Ace games on Steam.

Zafir

That sucks. Star Ocean 4 was quite the mess, but I got enjoyment out of games prior to that. Hell, even Infinite Undiscovery.

Should really get round to finishing Resonance of Fate at some point too.

Is Valkryie Profile owned by Square or TriAce?

Not that it matters much. It's dead as shit regardless but if I know the IP went with a mobile company I'll be forever sad.

Parfait

I liked Infinite Undiscovery, it suffered from rushed to market syndrome. I really wish there was a rerelease of it. Its absolutely built to play different characters other than main guy for sure.

Now that it's been a day since I found out about the news, saying that I will miss the older tri-Ace games is still a huge understatement.

However, assuming we get anything translated from tri-Ace now, I will still keep a watch out to see what they can do. They are far too talented and I'm far too loyal to not at least look at what they can do with a different slate.

I just hope that what they can make isn't dumbed-to-dust or cheap mobile fanfare. *sigh*

Lightning

Banned
Is Valkryie Profile owned by Square or TriAce?

Not that it matters much. It's dead as shit regardless but if I know the IP went with a mobile company I'll be forever sad.
If S-E were going to do anything with it they would have by now. Valkyrie Profile 2 was such a fantastic game too.

Datschge

Are you close to that guy or why did you use his given name? =D

Yoshinori Yamagishi was the Enix producer responsible for all Square Enix published tri-Ace games up to Star Ocean 4. He already said at that time that SO4 is the last game with his involvement. Afaik nobody ever asked whether that was his, tri-Ace's or Square Enix's decision, but it should be no surprise exactly nothing happened with the VP and SO brands since.

batbeg

Theres nothing "top" about tri-Ace. Lets be honest here.

I can honestly say they made more console RPGs that I enjoyed last gen than any other developer. I can honestly say they created my favorite PS2 game hands down. I can honestly say they're approach to gameplay systems was sophisticated and enjoyable.

TheContact

Does this mean we will get ports on iOS? What about any chance of star ocean series coming to vita because of this? Or does it kill any chance of that happening ?

batbeg

Does this mean we will get ports on iOS? What about any chance of star ocean series coming to vita because of this? Or does it kill any chance of that happening ?

tri-Ace didn't own any of their IPs. Square-Enix own Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Radiata Stories and maybe Infinite Undiscovery. Sega own Resonance of Fate. Any future entries would be dependant on the publishers with new teams or contacting out tri-Ace from Nepro but it's pretty obvious publishers didn't care about any of these franchises anyway.

Rad-

Mediocre developer so I won't be missing them. That said I thought Infinite Undiscovery actually had the most potential out of their series. Semi open world JRPG with seamless action combat. It was just so damn rushed that it only went half way to everything.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Now who will make JRPGs with kick ass battle systems, completely un-likeable characters, and writing so shitty it makes Power Rangers look like Shakespeare in comparison?

BasilZero

Please tell me Squareenix at least still holds the IP for Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile.

Please tell me it wont be frozen due to lack of a development team........

n________________________________n RIP

At least we still have Tales of series from Namco........
(I will miss Star Ocean the series I enjoyed more than Tales very dearly T_T)

Edit: Reading an above post mentions that SE did work with this company who now owns Tri-Ace...hopefully we'll get something in the future ;o?

Top Bottom