• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tri-Ace acquired by Nepro Japan, becomes dedicated smartphone/tablet mobile dev

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
RIP Tri ace. I won't forget your contributions to this industry even if others might. Just a sad sad thing happening here. The studio closures are still happening cause of this damn mobile garbage craze and the death of AA games

Oregano

This actually significantly secures their future in terms of continuing to operate.

Yeah, I'm no fan of mobile games but I think they would have struggled to find work after being unable to produce hits. Phantasy Star Nova's sales probably would have discouraged publishers.

Crowd fund and buy them back?

Tri-Ace was privately owned and the owners are sticking with the company. Tri-Ace wanted this acquisition to happen.

tri-Ace is actually a significant expansion for Nepro depending on how many of the employees stay. Nepro's own MGS (Mobile & Game Studio) had only 86 employees this January: http://www.mgst.co.jp/company/outline.html Nepro itself has about as many employees as tri-Ace (~130).

They were/are also heavily involved in programming for Tales of Zestiria. tri-Crescendo stopped doing "AAA" games on its own after Eternal Sonata, but compared to tri-Ace they always have been a lean company able to work with minor projects.

I would like to see a Tales game with development lead by tri-Crescendo. I think it could be a nice breath of fresh air.

Finalow

tumblr_lph9ioVnjM1qgdh9so1_500.gif
I wasn't really a huge fan of their games but I liked some of them, especially VP2 and RoF.

RIP

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Today is a sad day for full production RPGs. We lost one of the finest gameplay developers in the genre.

sörine

Banned
tri-Ace is actually a significant expansion for Nepro depending on how many of the employees stay. Nepro's own MGS (Mobile & Game Studio) had only 86 employees this January: http://www.mgst.co.jp/company/outline.html Nepro itself has about as many employees as tri-Ace (~130).
I'd also like to point out that Mobile & Game Studio is essentially Game Studio. Nepro acquired them in 2011.

The creators of Xevious and Druaga aren't bad company for tri-Ace to be keeping. :)

I wish them the best in this. I loved their games, and I hope that this move makes sense for them.

still I hope that Square-Enix will do something with the IPs they own. I would really like another Star Ocean ( or even just the Star Ocean PSP games on vita somehow...)

I wouldn't wish this on anyone
You shut your mouth Enron! :(

It had the best and deepest crafting system I've ever had the pleasure of playing in a JRPGS, along with an awesome battle system and plenty of side-stuff to do. I fully admit at the end the story went off the fucking rails though.

Enron

Banned

It had the best and deepest crafting system I've ever had the pleasure of playing in a JRPGS, along with an awesome battle system and plenty of side-stuff to do. I fully admit at the end the story went off the fucking rails though.

The crafting was totally broken! I made a bunch of + laser weapons and just cheezed my way through the mid game zzzzzzzzzz

Ryuukan

wrong~~~~

ioPBBPA.gif

sörine

Banned
I wish them the best in this. I loved their games, and I hope that this move makes sense for them.

still I hope that Square-Enix will do something with the IPs they own. I would really like another Star Ocean ( or even just the Star Ocean PSP games on vita somehow...)
If Square Enix wanted they could probably still hire tri-Ace for a SO or VP game (or more FFXIII). Nepro's other game dev subsidiary (MGS) worked with SE on the Lord of Arcana games and Gyrozetter 3DS.

They at least keep their jobs. In that market, that's best case scenario in many cases. But yeah, we're not going to get Star Ocean 5: The Last Two Didn't Exist or Valkyrie Profile 3: Hrist Bustin' Feet Off In Asses now.

You had one job, Square Enix and/or Sega...

Sega saved Atlus. They done did good.

The crafting was totally broken! I made a bunch of + laser weapons and just cheezed my way through the mid game zzzzzzzzzz

wrong~~~~
Being able to so fully take advantage of the item creation system is part of what made it so much fun! I loved making loads of money off of it. Simply being able to fully take advantage of it and make those broken weapons is just one use of it and doesn't detract from it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Not cool. We are living in some strange times. I hate to think Star Ocean was one of their last JRPGs because of that annoying character they added to it. Darn it, Kay?

Ralemont

not me

Breaking battle systems is half the fun of JRPGs.

Aside from that, SO3's battle system was god-tier. That alone makes it worth playing. It's certainly better than SO2 or SO4.

iammeiam

Resonance of Fate is the only Xbox 360 game I 1000/1000'd.

I ragequit a job and spent the first few days of unemployment grinding out everything in that game. While it got too easy later on, I still love that battle system.

This news sucks.

Maxim726X

Fuuuuck Valkyrie Profile remains one of the most original games I've ever played. Star Ocean 2? Amazing.

But let's be real, Infinite Undiscovery was hot garbage.

epmode

RIP Tri ace. I won't forget your contributions to this industry even if others might. Just a sad sad thing happening here. The studio closures are still happening cause of this damn mobile garbage craze and the death of AA games

AA games are alive and well on PC. Japanese developers are only recently investing in the platform, though, and it's already too late for some developers.

Cornbread78

Stop bumping this thread, it already ruined my breakfast, now it's ruining my lunch.... dammit. I guess we never will get anothe Radiata Stories or Star Ocean...

Kasper

Hopefully some of the talent at tri-Ace will branch off and do their own thing. If not, oh well, they had a good run.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I play mobile games a lot, so much it basically replaced home consoles for me.

With the that said, it makes me sad because it means we won't see Silmeria on the PS Vita or another VP game on console. Okay, SquareEnix holds the rights, but that doesn't mean anything. Do we have a new Vagrant Story, Tactics, Chrono, or Tobal game???

Guess there won't be a RoF sequel or a localization of PSNova (if that was even possible). Sad to hear there won't be any more projects outside of those platforms, especially for their fans.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
;.;

Question: Does that mean that Star Ocean is officially put to bed? If I am not mistaken, prior to the merger of Square, Enix made Tri-Ace the sole developer of the franchise.

Teknoman

;.;

Question: Does that mean that Star Ocean is officially put to bed? If I am not mistaken, prior to the merger of Square, Tri-Ace was the sole developer for the franchise.

I'd like to know the same about...well any Tri-Ace game released between the PS1 and PS3 era.

Top Bottom