• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tri-Ace acquired by Nepro Japan, becomes dedicated smartphone/tablet mobile dev

It is really sad to see a decent rpg developer be turned to the mobile side. A real waste of talent. It is a shame Sony or Nintendo didn't aquire them instead.

Damned shame in terms of what might've been and their trailblazing formative roots to really push the envelope on tech and style. I mean, there's always that lingering hope that they, as the latest victims, will be the one to Do It Right and usher in an unprecedented level of quality in the mobile space and somehow automagically get it out there internationally through PC editions or some such for posterity....but.....yeah.

sörine

Banned
It is really sad to see a decent rpg developer be turned to the mobile side. A real waste of talent. It is a shame Sony or Nintendo didn't aquire them instead.
They'd have actually been a pretty decent grab for either SCE or Nintendo. Sony's incredibly lacking in JP dev talent now and Nintendo could've really benefitted from their engine and technology know how.

DMiz

Not the greatest news to be waking up to in the morning.

They're definitely one of the 'greats', in my opinion. Say what you will about their stories, character designs, and pacing, but they are generally one of the few JRPG developers that really took the whole idea of designing 'systems' and making their games work around them. Tinkering with a tri-Ace RPG is fun and always rewards those who are willing to invest in its zaniness.

They will be missed.

This news sucks , hard

I'm quite disapointed by this turn of events.

I wished them to get financial support to be well but i wanted them to be console gamemakers again :(

Good Bye , tri-ace ..in your memory i'll try again to get the plat for SO4 this year ....

Ganondorfo

What happened to Japan, they were so great from Nes till the middle of the PS3 gen, then something happened, every developer isnt creating anymore new installments to our favorite franchises from the old days. I have a feeling that this gaming industry will become more boring year by year and we will never get the excitement anymore like during the PS2 days with announcements.

Ryuukan

Nepro owns the studio that develops Lord of Vermillion 3 for Square Enix

Obviously this news means Star Ocean 5 is coming soon

Elios83

Sad news for what it represents (an other japanese developer forced to go mobile by current market conditions), but Tri-Ace declined long ago, their latest games were disappointing, the Star Ocean series was killed by SO3 and SO4 and in the recent years they have become more a supporting and porting team. Mobile might be the right development environment for them.

that's too bad. i was waiting for VP3. i'm also waiting for Shenmue III, Suikoden VI and Shining Force IV. who gives a shit at this point.

gonna play other stuff while i wait.

Angelcurio

Sad news for me. Really enjoyed Radiata Stories with it's awesome NPC ai that had actual daily schedules, and the full nay/night cycle. They had some really good tech, and their games always looked really good. To see the developer of Valkyrie Profile being relegated to mobile games is a big loss for the console landscape.

Einbroch

Banned
What. The. Fuck.

Seriously, this sucks. This really, really sucks. SO2 and the VP games are some of the greatest games of all time.

I figured this would happen sooner or later. They haven't made a really good game in a long time though. Like so many others, last gen basically killed them. Still, much as I loved TriAce back in the day, this is like telling me Rare is going mobile. They haven't made a good game in so long that I don't really care any more.

For those complaining about JRPGs, the writing has been on the wall for a long time: if you want JRPGs, buy Japan's favorite handheld. Console JRPGs are doomed to failure for lack of a local market.

Roubjon

This is really upsetting :(

But I guess inevitable with the way things were going. I should play through some of their games again.

Ban Puncher

2112511-telenet.jpg

lxll5.gif

Cassovia

It's a sad news for me.

I do understand why devs are going for a mobile crowd, but I don't understand why mobile gaming attracts so many people, when we have a dedicated handhelds :(

So who exactly is left?
On the console JRPG front I mean.

The loss of tri-ace is pretty huge IMO. Say what you want about the quality of their games, but they were definitely consistent in their output (averaging one release per year).

Part of the reason JRPGs have been such an enjoyable genre for me is that every year, I had dozens of different titles to try. It wasn't uncommon to see a couple games by Squaresoft, something from Enix, Atlus, some random obscure developer, etc.

Nowadays we're expected to wait years for a substantial release (such as an FF or a Persona sequel), and this time around there's nothing to fill the gaps.

I suppose it's an exciting time for mobile fans at least, tri-ace will likely deliver some astonishing graphics tech for whatever F2P nonsense they're expected to work on.

sörine

Banned
Nepro owns the studio that develops Lord of Vermillion 3 for Square Enix

Obviously this news means Star Ocean 5 is coming soon
Oh wow, I didn't realize they owned Game Studio. You're being sarcastic but this buyout really doesn't entirely preclude tri-Ace from still working on contracted console games if that's anything to go by.

Usobuko

Banned
sörine;152900702 said:
They'd have actually been a pretty decent grab for either SCE or Nintendo. Sony's incredibly lacking in JP dev talent now and Nintendo could've really benefitted from their engine and technology know how.

Probably a steal at the ~$3.7m b/o price.

Ravage

Their descent into mediocrity began with Infinite Undiscovery. I remember being excited for that game. Lol

Yep tri-Ace somehow released 2 turds in a row. That and a whole host of stupid decisions got them off to a terrible start last gen. If it wasn't for the brilliant Resonance of Fate, I would have lost all interest in them.

Anyway it's just too bad there's no market for their console games. tri-Ace (at their best) are one of the exceedingly rare breed of developers with fresh ideas for combat systems.

Ugh, I already posted my anger over this in here earlier, but seeing this thread again just reminded me of the horrible, horrible sting. Resonance of Fate is one of my absolute favourite games of last gen and tri-Ace is one of my favourite devs ever. This is too saddening :(

Well crap. I didn't want it to end like this. Though I'm glad they're still alive in some way though.

I secretly wanted sony to buy them though.

Top Bottom