• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2015

tolkir

Nobody seems to be talking about the Spy Chameleon sale -- is it only in Canada? If I remember correctly it's down to $4. If you'll recall it won my Nintendo Downloads December 2014 seal of approval!

We need a monthly seal of approval with several categories:

Best eShop Wii U game
Best eShop 3DS game
Best VC game

I know, 3D Out Run would win each category this month

terrisus

Hey... Umm... Guys...
I don't really get the OutRun love...

To be fair, I haven't actually played any iteration of it...
(Well, maybe the arcade one at some point)...

But, what exactly sets it apart from something like Rad Racer or Top Gear or something?...

I liked the JPN version a lot. That's just one person's opinion, though.

Speaking of which, the OT should be up soon. Just need to get some pics in there. I still haven't settled on a title, though... Hmm...

I'm mostly curious how all the different gameplay types play as well as how it is overall.

My stepdaughter wants to be a palientologist (sp?) and she loves Pokemon so I feel like it'd be the perfect game for her.

The exploration in a car is like, you drive around and go on jumps and explore. The first area kinda sucks but after that the areas are pretty big with many nooks and crannies. At first you start out slow and can't make most jumps but later on you can upgrade your vehicle and go really fast and go "WHEEE!"

The battling's like your typical turn-based JRPG but with some twists here and there. It's pretty enjoyable but nothing mindblowing.

Fossil cleaning is, like, you get rid of dirt with hammers and drills of various strengths. It works very well.

While Fossil Fighters is pretty much a "you like it or you don't" thing for older gamers, kids generally dig the series and Frontier is the best installment IMO. Do consider getting it for her, she'd probably like it.

terrisus

The exploration in a car is like, you drive around and go on jumps and explore. The first area kinda sucks but after that the areas are pretty big with many nooks and crannies. At first you start out slow and can't make most jumps but later on you can upgrade your vehicle and go really fast and go "WHEEE!"

At first I thought this post was talking about OutRun >.>

daydream

Banned
That Top Gear though.

(Not saying OutRun's music isn't good, just that I don't see it setting it apart as something to go crazy over >.>)

It's a really polished and accomplished example of the genre. Compared to Rad Racer or Hang-On (which I both love), it's a decidedly evolved take on the concept, adding in optional routes to take while driving, giving the game replayability and a more dynamic handling of difficulty.

If you like Rad Racer, you owe it to yourself to get Out Run and Super Hang-On. M2 has delivered nothing short of definitive versions that I doubt will ever be topped unless M2 ports them to a different platform.

terrisus

Top Gear's soundtrack is not fit to lick the tire treads of OutRun!

You're right that it's not fit to do that.

Since, Top Gear would be way ahead :þ

It's a really polished and accomplished example of the genre. Compared to Rad Racer or Hang-On (which I both love), it's a decidedly evolved take on the concept, adding in optional routes to take while driving, giving the game replayability and a more dynamic handling of difficulty.

If you like Rad Racer, you owe it to yourself to get Out Run and Super Hang-On. M2 has delivered nothing short of definitive versions that I doubt will ever be topped unless M2 ports them to a different platform.

Thanks for the feedback on that, I appreciate it.

I'm sure I will check it out at some point...
Just not exactly sure when >.>

I'll go with Intelligently Designed Action, yeah. It's some good shit.

And I intended for that post to be right under the relevant one but it didn't work out that way :X

jholmes

The question was:

Yeah yeah I know. As mentioned the selectable routes are a lot of fun -- and yes of course the selectable soundtracks -- but the bigger difference would be the tight Sega polish. It's one of those games that is truly more than the sum of its parts.

So now that Konami is going to be out of business sooner than later, do you think somebody will pick up the Hudson catalog?

I hope so. I don't understand why Konami bothered acquiring Hudson if they have no intentions of taking advantage of their IP. So far, the 3DS and Wii U are the only Nintendo systems not to have any Bomberman games. Even the Virtual Boy had one!

Thinking about it makes me mad.

jholmes

I hope so. I don't understand why Konami bothered acquiring Hudson if they have no intentions of taking advantage of their IP. So far, the 3DS and Wii U are the only Nintendo systems not to have any Bomberman games. Even the Virtual Boy had one!

Thinking about it makes me mad.

You and everyone else, man. I love Konami and hate the direction they've been on since about the turn of the milennium but the Hudson deal is the absolute worst.

And uhh congrats on your custom tag? I guess?

also

Banned
Nobody seems to be talking about the Spy Chameleon sale -- is it only in Canada? If I remember correctly it's down to $4. If you'll recall it won my Nintendo Downloads December 2014 seal of approval!

Spy Chameleon is a great game and it's a steal at that price.
It has strong core mechanics, clever level design, replay value, leaderboards, off-TV play and some good achievements. The one the one that requires you to complete all 75 levels on hard mode in 18 minutes or less really shows how strong the level design is; there are so many shortcuts and tricky maneuvers you'll totally miss on your first playthrough.

SerTapTap

The 3D Fantasy Zone reportmaster thing has some cool features over the original one, right? Would people recommend it if I have the original?

SerTapTap

I'll have thoughts on the 3DS version this weekend, but the original is a pretty fun Cabal-style shooter (is there a proper term for that?) with lots of cute girls. It is easily worth a $5.

Oh right, is that free of IAP? I took a quick peek at the mobile one but it was too microtransactions to enjoy. Looked cute otherwise

The 3D Fantasy Zone reportmaster thing has some cool features over the original one, right? Would people recommend it if I have the original?
What do you mean by the original?

As for features. There is a level select, optional base arrows (arrows appear at the height of a base making them easier to find), you build up a global pool of money now (any money earned goes into the pool, even if it is spend) which can be used to give yourself a headstart. The pool of money also goes towards unlocking the double and unlimited weapon time cheats. Upon completion of the game you unlock Upa-upa mode which has different BGM on stage 1, has the shop always open on the bottom screen as weapons are on a cost per shot basis in that mode.

All that said many people are waiting for Fantasy Zone II (which isn't the master system version but the DX version in the PS2 collection).

SerTapTap

What do you mean by the original?

As for features. There is a level select, optional base arrows (arrows appear at the height of a base making them easier to find), you build up a global pool of money now (any money earned goes into the pool, even if it is spend) which can be used to give yourself a headstart. The pool of money also goes towards unlocking the double and unlimited weapon time cheats. Upon completion of the game you unlock Upa-upa mode which has different BGM on stage 1, has the shop always open on the bottom screen as weapons are on a cost per shot basis in that mode.

All that said many people are waiting for Fantasy Zone II (which isn't the master system version but the DX version in the PS2 collection).

Well I guess not the original, the one that was on Virtual Console--Super Fantasy Zone I think. Those features sound good though

GulAtiCa

any thoughts on

ATV Wild Ride 3D
Bomb Monkey

ATV Wild Ride 3D : This is fun. Only played a little, but is decent. Has online races too. Not sure if active or not, but every Wed Jools (dev) holds a weekly race.

Bomb Monkey: This is really fun and addicting! Something great to play to pass the time if you got a few minutes. Not sure if they ever added it, but has no leaderboard of any kind, even local. Might have a top score thing, but I don't think it even has that. Still fun. Well worth the asking price.

Dee Dee

Sorry if this has been answered already:

The two "free" songs for TFFCC show up as 0,99 € for me, I get two other songs from Final Fantasy II for free instead. Am I doing it wrong?

Robin64

Sorry if this has been answered already:

The two "free" songs for TFFCC show up as 0,99 € for me, I get two other songs from Final Fantasy II for free instead. Am I doing it wrong?

No, the original PR was just wrong is all. Shadowlord and Birds are not free after all, the two you see are.

wilflare

ATV Wild Ride 3D : This is fun. Only played a little, but is decent. Has online races too. Not sure if active or not, but every Wed Jools (dev) holds a weekly race.

Bomb Monkey: This is really fun and addicting! Something great to play to pass the time if you got a few minutes. Not sure if they ever added it, but has no leaderboard of any kind, even local. Might have a top score thing, but I don't think it even has that. Still fun. Well worth the asking price.

If you want to play ATV Wild Ride, buy the DS version instead since it runs at twice the framerate of the 3DS hackjob port.

:( I just bought them both rjc571

thanks GulAtiCa <3

Chrom

Two new sales are live today in NA:

[3DS] Big Hero 6: Battle in the Bay - $19.99 thru 4/27 (was $29.99)
[3DS] Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest - $19.99 thru 4/27 (was $29.99)

I checked out the prices for the Moon Chronicles DLC, but the sale isn't live yet. I guess something went up and the sale will go live at a later time.

Two new sales are live today in NA:

[3DS] Big Hero 6: Battle in the Bay - $19.99 thru 4/27 (was $29.99)
[3DS] Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest - $19.99 thru 4/27 (was $29.99)

I checked out the prices for the Moon Chronicles DLC, but the sale isn't live yet. I guess something went up and the sale will go live at a later time.

I liked Big Hero 6 as a film, anyone have any thoughts on the game?

Shizuka

I figured this was weird, don't we get sales on thursdays? Why would the DLC be discounted on a different day? I'm still waiting for it to get discounted.

Camjo-Z

I liked Big Hero 6 as a film, anyone have any thoughts on the game?

8ee1c83674327f1976f2361b3b87d7b6.png

When it comes to Disney games on handhelds, they're almost always shovelware garbage.

Top Bottom