• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

mario-vs-donkey-kong-switch-remake_wzam.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Feb 16, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Nintendo

Critic Reviews​

Checkpoint Gaming - Edie W-K - 7.5 / 10
Mario vs. Donkey Kong has been remade nearly perfectly, and it's certainly great for any forgotten title to get an update and a facelift. The platforming is still tight, but the simple truth is that puzzle games as a genre have moved on in the twenty years since the original. That means nothing about it really stands out, either as a puzzle game or a Mario game. Still, that doesn't mean you won't have fun with it as you wait for Nintendo's next main-line Mario.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Mario vs. Donkey Kong has a lot of exciting puzzles to explore, and fans of the original will find excitement in the remake. With a welcoming difficulty curve, reworked graphics, and expanded gameplay, Mario vs. Donkey Kong kicks off the Switch's seventh year with a bang.

Enternity.gr - Nikitas Kavouklis - Greek - 8.5 / 10
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong will provide hours of entertainment as long as you use your brain.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 8.5 / 10
"Mario vs Donkey Kong... is an absolutely fantastic little puzzler."

VGC - Andy Robinson - 3 / 5
Mario vs. Donkey Kong offers a notable step up in visual quality from its 20-year-old source material, but the same can't be said for the gameplay mechanics, which remain largely unchanged. While it will no doubt appeal to purists who loved the GBA original, those discovering it for the first time may find it too easy and not up to the same standards as modern, similarly priced Mario releases.

WellPlayed - Mark Isaacson - 8.5 / 10
Mario vs Donkey Kong remains an enjoyable platform-puzzler as it did back on the Game Boy Advance, freshened up and featuring a small number of modern and welcome additions

Last edited:

angrod14

A thread where reviewers and users aren't blowing Nintendo over a first-party game? Is this real? It can't be.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’ll just stick to the original.
A thread where reviewers and users aren't blowing Nintendo over a first-party game? Is this real? It can't be.
Happens all the time but people prefer to ignore that and shout “Nintendo bonus” towards the truly amazing titles instead.

Just last year both Kirby Return to Dreamland and Pikmin 1+2 are below 80/100. Not to mention Detective Pikachu that’s below 70/100. Or better yet Everybody 1-2 Switch which is below 60/100. Etc.

Sojiro

It's a reviewing a little less than I thought it would, I figured it might hover at an 80-81. Still plan on picking this up, the MP is still a big draw for me and I never played the GBA game.

Really liked this game on GBA, still have it. Wasn't going to purchase but the demo has nice and clean presentation and I'm interested in the extra modes/levels and wouldn't mind playing co op with my daughter.

Anyone here have feedback from it regarding any of that personally? Thinking to pick up physical maybe 20-30 range.

Score seems solid for budget title, port of 20 year old game.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Not surprised after trying the demo

Really poor demo.

I loved the GBA game to bits, but this demo put me off buying the remake. Clunky controls and none of the challenge that made the original so fun and addictive. Baffling decision to release this demo. The only positive thing I can say is the opening story cinematic which is awesome.

Sounds like the rest of the game was not much better

Top Bottom