• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Duke Nukem Forever. 3D Realms to close

Joseph Merrick said:
The moon revolved around the earth 175 times. :O
Ayatollahs in Iran, Russia in Afghanistan, Wheel of fortune, Sally Ride, Heavy Metal Suicide, rock and roll, and cola wars, I can't take it anymoooooooore. :(

Stitch

Gold Member
White Man said:
The most surprising thing about this is that I'm still somehow shocked they are closing and that I will never actually get to play DNF.
Well if they ever really worked on the game then i'm sure someone will buy what they made so far and we all will finally play the game in december :D

stonedwal

Rlan said:
You could have released Death Rally, Duke Nukem I & II, Monster Bash, Alien Carnage, hell you could have so easily made Math and Word rescus for so many different platforms, but no. You sat around and did nothing with any of your IP for years and years.
Death Rally is fucking awesome. Wasted opportunity not having that on handhelds/downloadable services.

let's go into silver lining mode.

At least it didn't get the chance to come out and be Daikatana.

We'll always assume it was going to be awesome this way.

NimbusD said:
Can't they just release what they had. I CAN'T GO ON NOT KNOWING WHAT THE HELL TOOK THEM SO LONG!
Honestly they should release all they did on all three versions, this goes for Prey aswell. I'd pay for this.

Minyobi

1) Take out disc (or whatever) containing what was finished of DNF 2001.
2) Dump it somewhere online.
3) Allow us to download it for free.
4) Repeat the process with the new version.
5) Collectively leave the industry. Each, and every one of you.

Thanks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I swear DNF was like this viral campaign to keep people talking about the game. And then this happens. Sucks for the guys but what they hell were they working on and doing this whole time? Damn.

I really enjoyed Prey. Fantastic game with tons of potential. Had awesome portal interaction before Portal, and before HL3.

I am more upset that I will not get Prey 2.

Rlan

Update: "Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms," a representative for the companies has told us. "Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned."

Ikael

Guys I have just recieved this e mail:

May 6, 2009
For Immediate Release
[name deleted]
Michael Meyers Public Relations

Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms. Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned.

Horray!

And a big fat FU to the haters and the people laughing at the closure of 3D Realms. They are a competent devloper, and Duke Nukem was actually one of the very few FPS that wasnt yet another "epic" tale of generic space marines on a "homg teh serious" mission. The world needs more FPSes like Serious Sam and Duke Nukem.

Spoo

I don't see this at all as being true.

The fact of the matter is that 3DR is an independant developer filled with cash. They continue to sell even games like Duke Nukem 3D, and their recent co-development with Human Head ("Prey") did quite well.

Also, George Broussard wouldn't be posting bug fixes on his Twitter and acting half as jolly if the company was in shambles. We'd have had signs long ago.

If it turns out true, color me fucking surprised and very, very angry, but seriously this just isn't likely. Their company has always been financially stable -- hell, look at their job listing: never had layoffs. This would be completely out of left field and make no sense whatsoever.

Also, DNF, if it is close, is pure money. People will buy it who fucking hate Duke Nukem and 3DR just to see what the fuck took so long. Even if 3DR is headed out (again, unlikely), DNF will happen. You fucking watch.

DNF= worst case of gaming blue balls.

I loved Duke 3d. I even played the N64 and PSOne games to fill the void back in the day.
Sad news but not exactly totally unexpected. I just expected them to go a recession or two back.

Ikael said:

Horray!

And a big fat FU to the haters and the people laughing at the closure of 3D Realms. They are a competent devloper, and Duke Nukem was actually one of the very few FPS that wasnt yet another "epic" tale of generic space marines on a "homg teh serious" mission. The world needs more FPSes like Serious Sam and Duke Nukem.

Wait wait wait... TRILOGY? DAMN!!

Not really surprised, to be honest. Think of the money they're sunk into a 13 year project that still hasn't seen the light of day.

Ikael said:

Horray!

I personally only cared about the 360/PC version, not the DS/PSP one.

Wow... I never really cared about this project but I still followed it because its been sort of a gaming myth for years. Kinda depressing.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ikael said:

Horray!

Trilogy

TRILOGY

you know... CRITICAL MASS etc etc etc the one with the long and confusing trailer

Update: "Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms," a representative for the companies has told us. "Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned."

Trilogy?

Spoo

wmat said:
Bold and italic? You must have a compelling argument!

When you don't carry an avatar with a cat or something cute in it, it's difficult to be noticed.

But I at least tried to back up the claim :\

Such crazy happenings one way or another. Duke Nukem was pretty well among the last the the FPS games that I was able to enjoy. Somehow or another, I hope this all works out and jobs can be retained or something.

Terribly sad if this news turns out to be true. I don't really game as often as I used to but shareware, particularly the titles from Apogee/3D Realms, occupied so much of my childhood. Duke 4 Ever was actually one of the very few games I was still looking forward to regardless of the development time.

Some of the my favorite titles developed/published under this company :(

Commander Keen
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
Duke Nukem I
Duke Nukem II
Duke Nukem 3D (I spent so many hours playing with the Build level editor)
Hocus Pocus
Max Payne
Mystic Towers
Wacky Wheels
Wolfenstein 3D
Raptor: Call of the Shadows
Realms of Chaos
Rise of the Triad
Terminal Velocity

You know, I actually thought I would get to play DNF someday. I don't know why.

Damn :|

EDIT: Man, I cannot wait for the stories to start leaking from former employees.

mollipen

itxaka said:
PLease, release the Duke Nukem Forever source code so the community can make it the baddass game ever.

Here, I snuck the source code out for you (and everyone):

*** Duke Nukem Forever Source Code
*** Last Update: 01 May 2009
*** Still needing to be done: see code below

10 SHOW COMPANY LOGOS
20 SHOW DNF INTRO
30 **MAKE GAME HERE**
40 SHOW DNF ENDING
50 SHOW CREDITS

Speevy

Banned
Mr.Green said:
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum.

And I'm all outta job.

You're doing it wrong.

It's time to go to work and chew bubblegum.

"Sir, um...we need to talk."

Yes sir, what is it?

"Well, I have some bubblegum for you."

scitek

Ikael said:

May 6, 2009
For Immediate Release
[name deleted]
Michael Meyers Public Relations

Horray!

wpnae.jpg

o_O My guess would be their problems started when they hired him as their PR guy.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Spoo said:
When you don't carry an avatar with a cat or something cute in it, it's difficult to be noticed.

But I at least tried to back up the claim :\
I'm just toying with you.

Of course you have a point, the game would sell if it would be at least half-decent just because of the history, but since there's nothing actually to be seen on the horizon, I'm doubtful that they can actually cash in.

They've still got a chance if they can convince someone to give them the money to drag this monster through the last few months of development. But their other franchises and their past games hardly can keep them above water if they're in trouble now.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Does anyone know how to do one of those Hitler reaction videos?

Would love to see one with 3D realms and DNF as the subject :lol

vilmer_ said:
The trilogy is for the PSP and DS.
So DNF is dead? I don't give a fuck about Handheld Duke!

Aaaaaarrrgggh.

Someone needs to buy the IP. Duke must live on . . . even if it is only in endless development.

Top Bottom