• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Duke Nukem Forever. 3D Realms to close

daycru

Dot50Cal said:
Oh no, people hang around a forum for a game they are anticipating. Quick, lets all pelt them with tomatoes while they just got the worst news ever! Something is seriously wrong with you if this is your first reaction to this type of news. One wonders what hole is in your life that you need to fill by kicking others when they are down.
If a video game not being released is "the worst news ever", they've either had an extremely charmed life or even worse off than I could have possibly imagined.

stonedwal

Can't wait for the post-mortem/book on the development of the game.

I always thought 3DR was in good shape on the back of Max Payne and Prey, but I guess the money had to run out some day. Gotta say that I feel sorry for the people that were anticipating the game still after all of these years - hopefully they've learned from the experience.

daycru said:
If a video game not being released is "the worst news ever", they've either had an extremely charmed life or even worse off than I could have possibly imagined.

DNF getting canceled is the equivalent of your idol dieing from a fire. It hurts.

White Man

The most surprising thing about this is that I'm still somehow shocked they are closing and that I will never actually get to play DNF. You'd think I would have given up on that notion like a half decade ago.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Joseph Merrick said:
Are you people real? If 3DR isn't making it, honestly who gives a fuck? And that means me, I wouldn't give a fuck.

Exactly, if the IP is sold and someone else develops it, it's no longer the game that took 13 years to make. It's just another FPS.

At least there's still, probably, a really good story to be told about the development of this game. Maybe now we'll finally get to hear more about it in depth.

White Man said:
Well, that was quite the shaggy dog story, wasn't it?

:(

Grayman

I thought early 90s PC money never ran out!
stonedwal said:
Can't wait for the post-mortem/book on the development of the game.

I always thought 3DR was in good shape on the back of Max Payne and Prey, but I guess the money had to run out some day. Gotta say that I feel sorry for the people that were anticipating the game still after all of these years - hopefully they've learned from the experience.
I don't think anyone was hotly anticipating DNF.

LCfiner

vandalvideo said:
You're clearly not a true patriot if you don't realize how American Duke Nukem is.

I'm Canadian.

still, sad that more people are out of jobs.

Jeesh, what a waste. After thinking for so long that DNF would never come out, I'm surprised to find that I am surprised that it won't be coming out...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I cant believe it, DNF ending up like this....
Sad day for the gaming industry and for all gamers.
I still cant believe it

Truespeed

This is tragic. Especially when you consider that they were on the cusp of releasing Duke Nukem Forever on the iPhone.

pcgamcov210.jpg

Heh

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Fersis said:
I cant believe it, DNF ending up like this....
Sad day for the gaming industry and for all gamers.
I still cant believe it

Yeah, I'm totally in shock. I mean, who the hell expected Duke Nukem Forever would never come out?

Speevy

Banned
I will say that Duke Nukem is one of the most accessible, fun FPS games of all time, and the team that created it back then was very talented.

this cant be true... whats wrong with this planet?
its true.. its a sticky in the 3d realms forum linking to the news post of op

Rlan

You could have released Death Rally, Duke Nukem I & II, Monster Bash, Alien Carnage, hell you could have so easily made Math and Word rescus for so many different platforms, but no. You sat around and did nothing with any of your IP for years and years.

Top Bottom