• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

Jiggy

I'm not feeling the risk--I didn't need to know Japanese to play through Diamond and Pearl aside from a single part where a Team Galactic member runs two screens out of town and I didn't think I was supposed to chase him, and that was a totally original game.

As long as I talked to everybody in every town as I reached them and also as I re-reached them (e.g. when there was a shortcut to a certain town I'd already visited now that I had Cut/Surf/whatever, I figured there may be something new there), it turned out fine enough. And for that one Team Galactic incident, I'm pretty sure Serebii people were already past it when I got there even though I was only a couple days behind (by virtue of shipping time).

The first time I played Gold/Silver was on a 2-in-1 cartridge my friend's aunt got for us from Japan. It used english letters but was completely jumbled up. Sometimes letters just weren't there or were replaced by symbols. It didn't make any sense but I managed to get through it fine.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
-Boy/Girl choice added

CoroCoro Info Summary

-Release date 11th Sept
-Preorders start on July 20th, same date as new movie, speculative preorder movie cross promotion
-From the Johto map, Kanto is hinted at
-Wifi Features Expanded
-Boy/Girl choice
-Skateboard
-Rival shown

That appears to be it, few screenshots, coming shortly, featuring New Bark Town and Johto Area Map

Enkidu

Dedication Through Light said:
So the only thing new, for Pokemon the series, is the skateboard and more WiFi features?
They are remakes, how many additions did you expect? Sure, it might have been reasonable to expect a little more, and I'm sure this isn't every new thing, but it's not a new generation or anything.

Zilch

Banned
So the only thing new, for Pokemon the series, is the skateboard and more WiFi features?

Um, no. The lion's share of new features won't be revealed yet... some probably won't be revealed until the game has come out and people have discovered them.

Do you people not remember how it was with FireRed and LeafGreen?

I hate the outfits they give the trainers in the portraits. No one wears that style of clothing, lol.

Regardless of what they add or dont add, I was won over with the pokemon following me. Sorta reminds me of the Dragon Quest Monsters or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, except in those up to 3 could follow you

Forkball

The new girl looks kind of goofy. And the starter still follows you in other cities so I guess it's not just for the beginning. Also there seems to be some special event involving the Pichu people in Japan got for buying a ticket to the 12th movie.

Ah wait, never mind, I found the scans. Here is some info.:

-Starter may not be the only Pokemon that follows you, Pokemon follow you even after the beginning of the game.

-The new Lugia art is AWESOME, new stock art for Ho-Oh, Wobbuffet, Chinchou, Sentret, Mareep, Gligar, Dunsparce, Hopip, Wooper, Delibird, Larvitar, Miltank, Blissey, Stantler, Phanpy, Remoraid, Octillery, Qwilfish, Slugma, Swinub, and Teddiursa

-New female playable character, NOT Crystal

-PokeGear has gotten a re-design, appears to have a camera

-Slowpoke Well and Sprout Tower return with new looks

-Confirmation of the different Pichus in game, are both part of an event in Ilex Forest

-Kanto return is hinted at (DUH)

-Wi-fi features expanded?

Surprised no info on the breeding or gender difference stuff yet, I'm sure that'll come out into the open soon enough.

Gruco said:
Bingo. And this is what makes simulators stupid.

Meh. I would certainly be down with a hidden power ban on Shoddy Battle. since it clearly wasn't meant to effectively be, "every pokemon can have a special attacking move of any type at 75 power," but on the other hand, it's not like it's broken the game. Hidden Power's low power makes sure of that, and I think it leads to some interesting decisions in team creation and actual play. Busting out something like HP Fighting on an Azelf to take all the Tyranitars that try to switch in on it completely by surprise is a lot of fun. Plus the dragons would be even more rampant than they are now if everybody and their mother wasn't running HP Ice.

Jiggy said:
EVs bother me, but for a different reason. Many Pokemon can still be mixed attackers just fine with the EV limitations, mostly because the enemy Pokemon now can't max all three defensive stats. Electivire, Dragonite, Salamence, Kingdra, Tyranitar, Metagross, Infernape, Blaziken, Lucario, Arcanine, Swampert... all viable mixed attackers.

But what bothers me is how much more difficult it is to play defense now (because of the inability to max all three), or to survive even a single strong hit if you're a dedicated but fragile attacker like Gengar or Azelf. Nobody wants a G/S/C-style stallfest, I'm sure, but in the first two generations it was very difficult to OHKO something without a quad-weakness in play, and I think the games were better in that regard (and only that regard). It cheapens the experience to me to see a clean OHKO on a full health Pokemon with a neutral hit just because things like Choice Band, Life Orb, Draco Meteor, Flash Fire, and Download are now around to improve offense while defense hasn't gotten anything notable in the past two generations except Calm Mind and Light Clay. Edit: And Roost. Can't neglect Roost.

I don't think it was a rumor, but something actually planned. Even in the G/S manga, Gold uses a skateboard.

What we really need is to unban the OHKO moves. They were supposed to deal with constantly regenerating walls, and removing them was 9/10ths of the reason why GSC was so stall heavy.

Also, give us some special attackers that aren't glass canons. I'm a pretty defensive player (I run skarmbliss and bronzong with reflect and light screen holding light clay :lol:) and ythe ony special sweeper I can stand running is Heatran.

PataHikari said:
Hold items that increase a Pokemon's defense would be good. Make defensive equivalents to the Choice items. More Pokemon could learn defensive moves and abilities. I imagine that something like that will come up next generation.

Also, for the love of all that's good and holy nerf Stealth Rock.

I'd be leery of increasing the defensive potential of tanks and such. Until the big tournaments and organizers get the stick out of their asses and unban OHKO moves, it's a bad, bad idea. We could use a way of increasing the defenses of attacking and neutral pokemon, though.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Fixed. Because let's face it, you can be a genius who can devise the greatest strategies ever, but if you're not patient enough to put in the hard yards in-game, it doesn't count. The randomness factor of everybody having "imperfect" teams are a big part of what makes the battle system so great. It's also part of the charm of Hidden Power - it's meant to be completely random.

Another thing that makes breeding for Hidden Power difficult is the fact that IVs are set the moment you pick up the egg from the Day Care Center (or sooner? Someone clarify this point, please).

Hey, let's not turn this into a holier than thou "my way of playing is the one true way!" Suffice it to say that I think that pokemon is one of the greatest turn-based strategy games ever made, and offers a lot of fun in team customization and battling. I can't figure out why people enjoy plugging 300 hours into making a team, or playing the thing as an RPG, but if they do enjoy it, more power to em! Meanwhile, I'll be playing the game the way I enjoy playing it- which involves skipping the hundred hour long grind and going straight to the strategy.

Suffice it to say that I don't see the charm of randomness in team construction, and I certainly don't see the appeal of banging my head against the wall grinding because some people on the internet will claim it doesn't count.

Zilch

Banned
I alternate between a girl and guy character with every other Pokemon game I get. Pearl is a guy, Platinum is a girl, etc.

Kletian

I chose the girl for platinum because I have som esort of OCD of staying true to other sources in games I play.

I.E. Dawn's in the Pokemon anime for D/P/Pt so I played as Dawn in D/P/Pt

Kunan

http://gamerblips.dailyradar.com/video/pok_mon_heart_gold_soul_silver_announcement_gameplay/

I just watched this video. Man I have no idea wtf is going on, but one guy like shits his bricks when she announced it and for some reason after showing the same footage of your trainer walking in a circle twice, they all fall to the ground in "shock" and raise their legs so the camera sees as much butt as possible. Wtf? :lol

Also love the "big reveal" of your starter pokemon :lol

Balb

Yeah, but usually I dont ever see girls/women choose female characters, like in fighting games. Sure the choice is nice in Pokemon but I didnt think people actually chose to play as that character

Yes they do, almost exclusively. Maybe not in fighting games, but then again, the roster is usually 90% male unless you're playing DoA or SC.

Teknoman

Yeah, but usually I dont ever see girls/women choose female characters, like in fighting games. Sure the choice is nice in Pokemon but I didnt think people actually chose to play as that character

True, but im guessing since in games like Pokemon (or games like PSO, FFXI, Monster Hunter, etc.), the real character is supposed to represent yourself in a way.

Teknoman

Kunan said:
http://gamerblips.dailyradar.com/video/pok_mon_heart_gold_soul_silver_announcement_gameplay/

I just watched this video. Man I have no idea wtf is going on, but one guy like shits his bricks when she announced it and for some reason after showing the same footage of your trainer walking in a circle twice, they all fall to the ground in "shock" and raise their legs so the camera sees as much butt as possible. Wtf? :lol

Also love the "big reveal" of your starter pokemon :lol

You know the whole Japanese anime falling down "omg I cant believe that just happened" thing? They cut the demo short the first time, then played the entire thing.

Guess they couldnt believe it was that short the first time and said there had to be more?

I always exclusively play as the girls since they introduced them.

Baloonatic said:
The first time I played Gold/Silver was on a 2-in-1 cartridge my friend's aunt got for us from Japan. It used english letters but was completely jumbled up. Sometimes letters just weren't there or were replaced by symbols. It didn't make any sense but I managed to get through it fine.
First time I played Silver it was on a cartridge with like 100+ games. Most of them were shitty. But Silver in japanese kept me busy for a while.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Good stuff so far, loving the fact that Pokemon follow you around the entire game, that shit is waaaay over due.

And about this skateboard business..... fool me once nintendo.. FOOL ME ONCE. I'm not falling for that bullshit again unless I get screen caps. Period. It's been an entire decade and I still remember the hurt I felt when it wasn't in. *shakes fist*

Hopefully HG/SS have the following things:

Tougher trainers (the G/S trainers and elite four was kiddy stuff)
New Sprite and attack animations (don't get lazy gamefreak... come on)
Some way of obtaining generation 1 starters (Please?! I want my Squirtles!)
Faster battle speed
Better framerate (I dunno about you guys, but I get dizzy playing Diamond. wth)
New side missions and story's
Orange Island league (one can dream)
Second save option (Sometimes I want to start a new game without erasing my old one. I know they can make this happen... so why haven't they?)
Reasonable North American release date window (It really shouldn't take longer than 8 months maximum for these games to go over seas... I mean seriously come on)

I look forward to possibly having a Growlithe/Dragonite/Squirtle walking around with me everywhere I go :D

Firestorm

Finally someone else agrees! The absence of the Orange Island league has always puzzled my mind, lol.
Does it also confuse you when manga doesn't acknowledge filler that happened only in anime?

Gruco

Banned
Forceatowulf said:
Second save option (Sometimes I want to start a new game without erasing my old one. I know they can make this happen... so why haven't they?)
It impacts the scarcity of TM and rare monster availability.

Top Bottom