• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

fabprems

WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE
WII LEGO STAR WARS: COMPLETE SAGA
WII GUITAR HERO METALLICA
WII GOLD'S GYM CARDIO WORKOUT
WII LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING W/ ZAPPER
WII MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES
WII GUITAR HERO AEROSMITH
WII GAME PARTY 2
WII MY FITNESS COACH
WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL
WII SONIC AND THE BLACK KNIGHT
WII GAME PARTY
WII LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURES
WII NEW PLAY CONTROL! MARIO POWER TENNIS
WII JILLIAN MICHAELS FITNESS ULTIMATUM 2009
WII HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN
WII TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 09
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY

Seriously, if you want a fitness game, at least buy a good one ...

Pachael

Flying_Phoenix said:
I called Madworld's low sales since it's reveal. Honestly this game would have fared no better being on the 360 or PS3. It's a comic book style black and white, a beat-em-up, too violent, and a new IP. Add SEGA's failure to promote the game correctly and that's some bad mix right there.

No matter how you spin it niche is niche. It's like trying to push Blazeblue, Broken Sword, or Valkyria Chronicles to the masses. Unless you have 1st rate Nintendo level marketing the game will have zero chance.

I mean yes at times promoting the niche and quirky can be a home run, just look at Guitar Hero or for a more recent example De Blob. However it shouldn't be shocking if a game in this category performs low numbers because they usually do, hence why so few publishers will take the risks of taking them in.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that the Wii is the "M" rated and adult male gaming audience's haven, but to think that Madworld would be a "test game" for the Wii of this demographic is pretty ridiculous.

EXCITE :(
<10k is rubbish

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sony's Response:
Sony said:
We're revving up the new fiscal year with a broad tent of content and services across our platforms with envelope-pushing PS3 games like inFAMOUS, MAG, and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. We often hear from our customers that they're surprised by everything the PS3 does in addition to what they purchased the device for — including features like DLNA, free access to Wi Fi and Internet browser.

In some ways, this serves as a reminder that there's more we can do to relay the full breadth and power of the PS3. We know our consumers have varying entertainment lifestyles from the Blu-ray movie fanatic to photo enthusiast, so we've outlined our most aggressive marketing plans to help showcase this tremendous value proposition to all our consumers. We've got a proven history in delivering the best entertainment experience and there is no doubt the PlayStation brand is staged for another big year.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Neo C. said:
It seems impossible to survive in this economy, at least a lot of companies have a depressing time now and in the near future. Hardware sales don't worry me, the software sales however are painfully low. All the userbases combined don't matter when people just won't buy games.

I think this month's NPD provides a big hint. The industry needs a business model that is more sustainable.

A very large number of users are being overshot with graphics and horse power, the market at large can't be based upon those proposals any longer. This isn't about one company or the other company, or who's evil.

It's about gaming itself and what it means to have a business model that solves problems from companies that truly get it. I don't think a subscription service works if you still assume horse power and graphics are part of the issue, you're bound to keep overshooting the market if you assume that. The paradigm needs to change, we have it already to an extent but it did not sink in yet because the old values keep pushing hard against it. But that is eventually going to be a fatal recipe for everybody.

A paradigm shift is literally not about the fact that something exists, but its recognition.t's literally about how you're looking at it at any given time. Even if you simply decide to see one thing only, the other picture still exists and will affect the markets anyway. But to better integrate with a changing paradigm and find a truly working common ground it's necessary to look differently at certain things. If you're still valuing the overshooting evolution of visuals in gaming, regardless of what other financial solutions you may bring, the bottom line is the paradigm you're looking at is inherently still the old one.

Duck-Rabbit_illusion.jpg

What do you want to see?

Azelover

There's the rabbit you can see. Most people develop products around the rabbit, even most casual products are made around the rabbit(which is why a true paradigm change is needed). But then there's the duck, which is quite simply a new perspective.

I like the rabbit bit it has been running on solid ground for 25 years, in about 5 seconds it will reach a vast extension of water. How long do you think it will struggle to make it across before it sinks?

Nocebo

The rabbit wouldn't struggle because they're excelent swimmers as far as I know.
I'd wager a rabbuck would struggle even less.

ps: I don't believe in the existance of dabbits.

AniHawk

Sleeker said:
Sales werent that bad were they?

To give you a hint, the top selling game of the month was Pokemon. That's like The Matrix topping current DVD charts. It's a fad that's been dead a long time.

Azelover

Nocebo said:
The rabbit wouldn't struggle because they're excelent swimmers as far as I know.
I'd wager a rabbuck would struggle even less.

ps: I don't believe in the existance of dabbits.

But see, it's not about dabbits(whatever that is). Maybe the rabbit does work better, but is it because it will really work as it gets down to it? Or is it because you just like it better? The industry as far as I can tell is overwhelmingly dealing with issues using the approach they like better. But that's just me, seeing a duck or a rabbit, whatever works. As long as you're not forcefully keeping a rabbit perspective when duck thinking would be more effective.

EDIT: I hope this doesn't turn into a meme of sorts :lol

Nintendo really should stop this strategy of announcing games with sudden release dates and no hype, it clearly doesn't work as every single game released with this strategy has gone on to see disappointing sales.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Azelover said:
But see, it's not about dabbits(whatever that is). Maybe the rabbit does work better, but is it because it will really work as it gets down to it? Or is it because you just like it better? The industry as far as I can tell is overwhelmingly dealing with issues using the approach they like better. But that's just me, seeing a duck or a rabbit, whatever works. As long as you're not forcefully keeping a rabbit perspective when duck thinking would be more effective.

EDIT: I hope this doesn't turn into a meme of sorts :lol

ducks vs. rabbits is the new salmon vs. bears

Azelover

Danthrax said:
ducks vs. rabbits is the new salmon vs. bears

Yeah that's too bad, really it's not about the animals. My straight analogy of actual rabbits and ducks don't really work well, I just tried to expand on the idea of paradigm shift. It's the duck/rabbit just because it was the first illustrative picture I found dealing with the subject(on wikipedia no less).

I think I may have staled it without intention. I'm not exactly an expert on the subject but I've never seen anyone else talk about it here, even though it's so predominant in this industry right now, and IMO important in a sense. If anyone more knowledgeable wants to expand on it and clear up any confusions you're welcome to do so. I'm going to sleep now.

Kuroyume

Banned
Gears 2 being outsold by Halo 3 and COD4...

Halo 3 outselling Halo Wars a month after release... :lol

Killzone 2 deserves better sales.

Sadist

We're revving up the new fiscal year with a broad tent of content and services across our platforms with envelope-pushing PS3 games like inFAMOUS, MAG, and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. We often hear from our customers that they're surprised by everything the PS3 does in addition to what they purchased the device for — including features like DLNA, free access to Wi Fi and Internet browser.

In some ways, this serves as a reminder that there's more we can do to relay the full breadth and power of the PS3. We know our consumers have varying entertainment lifestyles from the Blu-ray movie fanatic to photo enthusiast, so we've outlined our most aggressive marketing plans to help showcase this tremendous value proposition to all our consumers. We've got a proven history in delivering the best entertainment experience and there is no doubt the PlayStation brand is staged for another big year.
This is the response? I think even Sony is losing hope. Holy crap.

Nocebo

Azelover said:
Yeah that's too bad, really it's not about the animals. My straight analogy of actual rabbits and ducks don't really work well, I just tried to expand on the idea of paradigm shift. It's the duck/rabbit just because it was the first illustrative picture I found dealing with the subject(on wikipedia no less).
I know you're trying to be serious but "this is neogaf, dude". GAF's all about taking things out of context and discussing animals ( socially awkward pinguin, courage wolf, salmon and bears, etc.)

I know what you're getting at and I absolutely agree. It's time the video game industry matured a little again. I think not only the industry but the users need a paradigm shift too.

Bizzyb

Banned
creamsugar said:
Excitebots: Trick Racing < 9k (not include Wii wheel bundle set)
Klonoa < 2k

That's what Nintendo gets for not hyping the game and doing these dumbass near stealth launches. Why couldn't they have shown it off last year and got more people interested and more word of mouth spreading? I'm not saying the game [Excitebots] could have been destined for crazy high numbers but I bet it would have been higher than 9k

A shame about Klonoa, but it's a 2d remake of a niche franchise from PS2 days...I may pick it up one day

Klonoa < 2k
Where is this number coming from? Klonoa came out in May...

edit: I searched the thread and saw mentions of the early Gamestop shipment, but I got one of those pre-order copies and it still wasn't until the 1st of this month.

tino

Banned
I think PS2 still has a lot of live left if Sony repackage it with a new look and bundle it with a Wii controller.

As for PS3 price drop, it won't really do much if you take a look at 360's number. That basically give Sony excuse not to drop the price.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Where is this number coming from? Klonoa came out in May...

It may have just fallen inside the reporting period for the April NPD though, as it came out on 5 May.

I'm not sure what the source is for creamsugar's numbers are though, and it's interesting that the Excitebots bundle is excluded from the sales noted - I would have thought that would have made up the bulk of its sales.

Cheez-It

I keep seeing comparisons to April 2008. How the fuck are these remotely comparable? One glance at the software chart offers all the insight one needs to explain the discrepancy.

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
For clarification, what period do monthly NPDs actually cover?

They vary month-to-month. This one ended May 2. Gamestop got shipments of Klonoa in on May 1 and that's what you're seeing. Two days of Gamestop sales.

Vagabundo

tino said:
I think PS2 still has a lot of live left if Sony repackage it with a new look and bundle it with a Wii controller.

As for PS3 price drop, it won't really do much if you take a look at 360's number. That basically give Sony excuse not to drop the price.

They need to go portable with it now.

A new version of the PSP with a rip to flash add on, big screen, dual nubs and elegant output to hdmi....

Rolf NB

Cheez-It said:
I keep seeing comparisons to April 2008. How the fuck are these remotely comparable? One glance at the software chart offers all the insight one needs to explain the discrepancy.
Seriously. I remember last year the horde's conclusion turned out to be "GTA IV fails to move any hardware at all" when in all likelihood it "only" singlehandely absorbed the fall that would have been normal for the month.

akilshohen said:
Aerosmith in the top 10 is crazy.

Given the realities of our current economy, I'm surprised more budget games aren't charting highly.

Personally I've been waiting for quite a few fall releases to drop to 30 before picking them up.

AniHawk said:
They vary month-to-month. This one ended May 2. Gamestop got shipments of Klonoa in on May 1 and that's what you're seeing. Two days of Gamestop sales.
Thanks. Although those still aren't very promising numbers, it seemed like a lot of people had trouble finding it on shelves at first. Hopefully the combo of good word of mouth + positive reviews + low price point will help it at least reach whatever Namco's sales goals are. I'd really like to see more of the little guy on Wii. Lord knows I've talked it up to everyone I can. It was an awesome game back in the PS1 days and it's an awesome game now. The care that went into the remake exceeded what I was expecting by a considerable margin.

AniHawk said:
To give you a hint, the top selling game of the month was Pokemon. That's like The Matrix topping current DVD charts. It's a fad that's been dead a long time.

Since when has Pokemon ever been dead? It's a money printing franchise. Nintendo releases the same rehash every few months, with some new bells/whistles to convince people they aren't wasting their money, and bam...1mil sales out of nowhere

Johann

AniHawk said:

The whole merchandising aspect of the franchise, such as Pokemon cards, is dead, but the games themselves still have a lot of staying power.

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Thanks. Although those still aren't very promising numbers, it seemed like a lot of people had trouble finding it on shelves at first. Hopefully the combo of good word of mouth + positive reviews + low price point will help it at least reach whatever Namco's sales goals are. I'd really like to see more of the little guy on Wii. Lord knows I've talked it up to everyone I can. It was an awesome game back in the PS1 days and it's an awesome game now. The care that went into the remake exceeded what I was expecting by a considerable margin.

I'm guessing a port of Lunatea's Veil is on the way if this one hits expectations. The original Door to Phantomile did 28k in the States and it wound up with a sequel. (EDIT) The Japanese release was much more successful, though. Unfortunately, it's kinda up to the States to carry the remake.

I don't think the franchise has even sold a million copies yet.

Haunted

Stealth releasing Excitebots fucking failed. Poor Monster Games.

Let's see how the opposite marketing strategy works - Nintendo is releasing a steady flow of info, trailers and commercials, actively trying to build hype for Punch-Out.

AniHawk said:
Here's hoping it can at least outsell the original on PS1. I hear it's such a good remake.

-PXG-

One poor month of sales and everyone is running around screaming as if the sky is falling? :lol It's going to be like this until the Fall. It's ALWAYS like this. Video game sales typically decline during the Spring and Summer. Plus, look at what has come out recently....None of them were AAA games. Relax.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Haunted said:
Let's see how the opposite marketing strategy works - Nintendo is releasing a steady flow of info, trailers and commercials, actively trying to build hype for Punch-Out.

i'll go ahead and say that it'll do much better than excitebots, but not well. nothing is doing /well/.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Cheez-It said:
Yea, it's not a good comparison at all. Look at April 2007 and it's much closer to this month's numbers.

NPD April 2007:

DS: 471K
Wii: 360K
PS2: 194K
PSP: 183K
360: 174K
GBA: 84K
PS3: 82K
GC: 13K

Top Bottom