• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

AniHawk

So LTD sales, using that chart, look like this?

US+EU+JP

PS3: 15.3m
Japan: 3.2m
EU: 4.5m
US: 7.6m

360: 21.5m
Japan: 1m
EU: 5.5m
US: 15m

Wii: 38m
Japan: 8m
EU: 10.3m
US: 20m

Notable missing countries include Germany and Canadia. Euro numbers are about 4 months old.

jeremy1456

AniHawk said:
It actually had a full month's of sales too, and because of the screwy month, it was actually six weeks of sales.

EDIT: So the Wii's outsold the combined total of PS360 in Japan and Europe? I wouldn't have guessed Europe. Looks like North America is the only place the gap is left.

Ironically North America is Wii's strongest market too.

FrankT

Those PAL numbers are most definitely off. MS was over 8 million in sold through to customers at the end of 08 quoting GfK and a separate analyst who had seen the early returns from them as well. Missing more than Germany for sure.

X
BOX 360™ RECORDS BEST EUROPEAN CHRISTMAS IN ITS HISTORY, EIGHT MILLION CONSOLES SOLD TO DATELONDON - 5th January 2009: Xbox® today revealed sales data showing Christmas 2008 was the biggest sales period ever in the brand’s six-year European history, with sales of Xbox 360™ almost double those of Christmas 2007<1>. Eight million Xbox 360 consoles have been sold in Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA)<2> up to the end of 2008, widening its lead over PlayStation 3 in the region to more than one million and setting the scene for further growth in 2009.
GfK-ChartTrack data shows that Xbox 360 was the fastest-growing console of 2008, with sales in the fourth quarter of 2008 over double that of the same period in 2007, spurred on by a mix of value, great games and entertainment, and the recently-launched New Xbox Experience.

Chris Lewis, Regional Vice President, Interactive Entertainment Business EMEA, said:“Christmas 2008 was a resounding success for Xbox 360. 2008 saw us grow faster than any of our competitors and we over-achieved in sales during the crucial Christmas selling period. We reduced the entry-level Xbox 360 ERP in September, understanding the need for great value, and European consumers have responded enthusiastically. With eight million consoles sold since we launched, and consistently out-selling PlayStation 3 in EMEA, we’re poised to build on this success in 2009. This success was only possible through our partnerships with retail and with publishers, with whom we’ve worked closely to build a strong ecosystem in the region and to bring value to our shared customer base. As we move into 2009 and an uncertain economic climate, we continue to be committed to offering the right blend of gaming and entertainment experiences at the right price.”
Nick Gibson, Founding Analyst, Games Investor Consulting, said:“Microsoft appears to have enjoyed an excellent end to 2008 in Europe. According to GFK Chart Track data, the Xbox 360 recorded in excess of 100% growth in December sales compared to 2007 across the UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain, well ahead of any other console. It also recorded comfortably the highest rate of year-on-year growth for the final quarter of 2008 overall.”

Nick Parker, Founder and Games Analyst, Parker Consulting, said:“I have seen early returns for the December 2008 sales data indicating that Xbox 360 has shown a significant sales increase year on year and furthermore is ahead of its nearest rival in terms of lifetime consumer hardware sales in the EMEA region, with an installed base of over eight million units.”

- Ends -
<1> Sales figures are Microsoft estimates based upon GfK-ChartTrack data
<2> EMEA region includes: UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, Portugal, Greece, Poland, Czech Republic, Russia, Hungary, Slovakia, South Africa, and UAE

http://www.developmag.com/press-releases/43331/XBOX-360trade-RECORDS-BEST-EUROPEAN-CHRISTMAS-IN-ITS-HISTORY-EIGHT-MILLION-CONSOLES-SOLD-TO-DATE

Actually that is all of EMEA so yea.

andthebeatgoeson

Wait, if DS is at 30 million now, and with 3-4 million this holiday, they may break PS2's record by 1st half 2010? Wow.

Of course, by PS2 record, I mean North America. And Paraguay. And Denmark. Since this is a NPD thread.

ElyrionX

So KZ2 fails to break 1 million units over a 2+ months period? That's pretty bad considering how high expectations were for the game.

DCharlie

Banned
Ouch at the billions they needed to spend on warranty repairs to avoid numerous class action lawsuits.

ouch at not being able to beat a console with , apparently, hardware that fails when someone near it coughs despite being the market leader for the last two gens and when Sony have the cheaper next gen machine*

* - not so convenient an argument when NPD rolls round i see. "bu bu bu it's half the price of the ps3!!"

Kogepan

ElyrionX said:
So KZ2 fails to break 1 million units over a 2+ months period? That's pretty bad considering how high expectations were for the game.

ummm...considering there are only 7 million PS3s in the US, its doing pretty good for a hardcore shooter.

All things considered, the PS3 is doing pretty good for a $399 game machine during one of the worst recessions in history.

Kogepan said:
ummm...considering there are only 7 million PS3s in the US, its doing pretty good for a hardcore shooter.

All things considered, the PS3 is doing pretty good for a $399 game machine during one of the worst recessions in history.
Qualifiers are a sign of weakness.

Lightning

Banned
Kogepan said:

I think the recession is just starting. Tough times ahead for Sony, even after the eventual price drop.

Kogepan said:

How the fuck is losing all the money Sony made on the PS2 and more "pretty good"?

Banned
WhiteAce said:
ouch at not being able to beat a console with , apparently, hardware that fails when someone near it coughs despite being the market leader for the last two gens and when Sony have the cheaper next gen machine*

* - not so convenient an argument when NPD rolls round i see. "bu bu bu it's half the price of the ps3!!"

:lol This. All things considered, the 360 is doing pretty good for a $500 game machine during one of the worst recessions in history.

360vsPS3_Price.jpg

charsace

KZ would have probably done worse if it was released during the past holiday season. I don't think it will sell more than Lost Planet and I think RE5 on the 360 will outsell it.

Yes Boss!

Zhuk said:
Thanks for clarifying that, so 360 is actually beating the PS3 in Europe this year and it still is ahead in sales.

Since Europe is now a more important market than Japan, you can reasonably state the PS3 is relegated to 3rd position worldwide as of current market realities.

Why do you even waste time posting? Nobody takes you serious anymore after what was revealed earlier in the thread:

crazy xbot nonsense

There low numbers allround but they compair closely with this time last year. Isnt april a short month and always low hw numbers wise?. I cant remeber a single big game that come out that month does kz2 count?.

Sleeker

Karma said:
:lol This. All things considered, the 360 is doing pretty good for a $500 game machine during one of the worst recessions in history.

360vsPS3_Price.jpg

PS3 is almost half the price and its still being outsold
time for a price drop

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yes Boss! said:
Why do you even waste time posting? Nobody takes you serious anymore after what was revealed earlier in the thread:

crazy xbot nonsense

holy cow. that's... quite the post in that link.

BTW do we know what KZ2's numbers were in April or are we just assuming the worst because it didn't make top 10?

DeaconKnowledge said:
Sony has said in their recent financial statements that they plan to sell 3 million more units this year than last. How do the facilitate an increase like that without a price drop?

You simply can't. Even a $100 price drop put into effect right now isn't going to achieve that. If those figures really confident predictions then Sony have gone down the batshit insane route of being happy to lose billions on the PS3 project year on year all for an unprecedented reduction in marketshare and third place.

Blame!

ElyrionX said:

this....kz2 has been an embarassment for sony. seeing as how much neogaf loves the game here and other forums i am absolutely shocked the game hasn't done more on teh sales charts. really sad for sony this gen.

i think if kz2 can't move consoles or sell in the millions, nothing can.

Zhuk

Banned
ElyrionX said:

I think it's clear there is a lot of people backpedaling around here and on other sites like N4G, I can't think of a single game in recent history to receive the lengthy and uninterrupted hype that KZ2 did since 2005, from the gaming press to the hardcore on NeoGAF who were extremely hyped for the title and had really high hopes for it as a massive sales success for Sony.

This was a title designed to go up against Gears and Halo, and Sony really failed in making the impact they desired.

itxaka

Defeatist
AniHawk said:
So LTD sales, using that chart, look like this?

US+EU+JP

PS3: 15.3m
Japan: 3.2m
EU: 4.5m
US: 7.6m

360: 21.5m
Japan: 1m
EU: 5.5m
US: 15m

Wii: 38m
Japan: 8m
EU: 10.3m
US: 20m

Notable missing countries include Germany and Canadia. Euro numbers are about 4 months old.

Wait for lowrider007 to come and spin that.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
brain_stew said:
You simply can't. Even a $100 price drop put into effect right now isn't going to achieve that. If those figures really confident predictions then Sony have gone down the batshit insane route of being happy to lose billions on the PS3 project year on year all for an unprecedented reduction in marketshare and third place.

well, maybe they're also counting on the GT5 Effect™ and the Final Fantasy Effect™, which is reasonable IMO.

Blame! said:
this....kz2 has been an embarassment for sony. seeing as how much neogaf loves the game here and other forums i am absolutely shocked the game hasn't done more on teh sales charts. really sad for sony this gen.

i think if kz2 can't move consoles or sell in the millions, nothing can.

lies. see above

Blame!

Danthrax said:
well, maybe they're also counting on the GT5 Effect™ and the Final Fantasy Effect™, which is reasonable IMO.

uhhhh did you just go there? really?

wait for these games?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Blame! said:
uhhhh did you just go there? really?

wait for these games?

FF13 will only be on PS3 in Japan and it will be huge there. consoles will be moved.

and it's Gran Freaking Turismo, it's always sold consoles. it has far more brand power than Killzone or LittleBigPlanet or nearly any other supposed Savior of the PS3. MGS4 is an exception here, but that HAS moved some PS3s on its own, so it's done its job.

Zhuk

Banned
Yes Boss! said:

It's no secret that I am a well known 'N4G Villain'
(yes that's what we call ourselves)
anyone who reads N4G will know my name just like others (DarkSniper, Bloodmask etc) and I openly admit i am an Xbot, anyone who visits the site will be able to tell you that instantly.

The mistake you made is thinking I actually want to hide the fact about my exploits on N4G when the entire point is that I want more people to know who I am there.

jeremy1456

Danthrax said:
FF13 will only be on PS3 in Japan and it will be huge there. consoles will be moved.

and it's Gran Freaking Turismo, it's always sold consoles. it has far more brand power than Killzone or LittleBigPlanet or nearly any other supposed Savior of the PS3. MGS4 is an exception here, but that HAS moved some PS3s on its own, so it's done its job.

Okay, giving in to your scenario. FFXIII causes PS3 to sell well for three weeks. Then what? Same with Gran Turismo 5.

2 games aren't going to save a console - they'll provide temporary bumps, but it's silly to think otherwise. The only games that go against this rule during this gen are a few select Nintendo titles.

Yes Boss!

Zhuk said:
It's no secret that I am a well known 'N4G Villain'
(yes that's what we call ourselves)
anyone who reads N4G will know my name just like others (DarkSniper, Bloodmask etc) and I openly admit i am an Xbot, anyone who visits the site will be able to tell you that instantly.

The mistake you made is thinking I actually want to hide the fact about my exploits on N4G when the entire point is that I want more people to know who I am there.

Villain or hero, open or closed, you are a joke.

Blame!

jeremy1456 said:
Okay, giving in to your scenario. FFXIII causes PS3 to sell well for three weeks. Then what? Same with Gran Turismo 5.

2 games aren't going to save a console - they'll provide temporary bumps, but it's silly to think otherwise. The only games that go against this rule during this gen are a few select Nintendo titles.

but if those games sell well for 3 weeks he can come to neogaf and say "i told you so, nyah nyah"...

then after that, he will look for other games to say we should wait for i guess. :lol

Deku

Banned
jeremy1456 said:

OOT's N64 bump in 1998 seems like the best comparison to the PS3 in Japan.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
jeremy1456 said:

well to be clear, I didn't say they'd save the console. I was discussing how Sony might expect to sell twice as many PS3s this year over last year. I think they expect to do it with a price cut, FF13 and GT5.

whether they'll provide three-week bumps or longer boosts remains to be seen and I don't think any of us can reasonably predict that. certainly, no one could have predicted KZ2 would sell so poorly after two months while Mario Kart DS continues to chart years after its launch.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Blame! said:
but if those games sell well for 3 weeks he can come to neogaf and say "i told you so, nyah nyah"...

then after that, he will look for other games to say we should wait for i guess. :lol

I'm not looking to increase my e-penis here, I'm just discussing the game industry.

and anyway, you got it wrong. we're not talking about the release of FF13 and GT5 selling well on their own, we're talking about them boosting PS3 sales. the question is whether they'll actually boost PS3 sales and for how long.

[edit] sorry for the double post. c'mon GAF, post more.

Kogepan

Sleeker said:
PS3 is almost half the price and its still being outsold
time for a price drop

yeh, your 199 unit is outselling a 399 unit, i'm sure MS is really happy.

KIA is also outselling BMW, I'm pretty sure the Germans are considering a price drop because of this.

Balb

Kogepan said:

KIA is also outselling BMW, I'm pretty sure the Germans are considering a price drop because of this.

Nice logic. Sony is losing money per console sold, and as stated earlier, the $300 360 model is the one that sells the most.

Barrett2

Kogepan said:

Where did you learn so much about economics?

stupidest post of the thread

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Kogepan said:

:lol :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Zhuk said:
I think it's clear there is a lot of people backpedaling around here and on other sites like N4G, I can't think of a single game in recent history to receive the lengthy and uninterrupted hype that KZ2 did since 2005, from the gaming press to the hardcore on NeoGAF who were extremely hyped for the title and had really high hopes for it as a massive sales success for Sony.

This was a title designed to go up against Gears and Halo, and Sony really failed in making the impact they desired.
Its funny, Why is it Sony's fault? I understand their advertisement was underwhelming, even worse compared to MS's. But when it comes down to it all...Its the game thats going to be judge and have to incite the masses on its own terms. Corporate marketing is only going push it so far.

Balb

shintoki said:
Its funny, Why is it Sony's fault? I understand their advertisement was underwhelming, even worse compared to MS's. But when it comes down to it all...Its the game thats going to be judge and have to incite the masses on its own terms. Corporate marketing is only going push it so far.

Considering other shooters on the PS3 have outsold KZ2 by miles, I think it's safe to say that it's Sony's fault.

Kogepan said:

Alright, I have to laugh at this as well :lol :lol

Zhuk said:

Hopefully by exploits you mean drunk trolling, :lol

Wow @ 99$ PS2. I feel like an ass for not believing in the power of two digits.

Wow @ shitty PS3 / 360 sales. Once again they maintain their PS3 @ between 60-70% of 360 sales difference.

Wow @ Wii. W T F? Waggle fading? NEVER.

I do expect the PS2 jump to be temporary, no more then 3 months of higher sales, but sliding. This is it's last hurrah!

Wow @ DSi. what the f**k, it's just a damn camera you morons.

Neo C.

It seems impossible to survive in this economy, at least a lot of companies have a depressing time now and in the near future. Hardware sales don't worry me, the software sales however are painfully low. All the userbases combined don't matter when people just won't buy games.

Top Bottom