• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2009

lowrider007 said:
It's obvious what he was trying to imply, loads of people do it every NPD day, they start coming out with "PS3 is teh doomed!!1!!1" type posts based on NA figures alone, do you actually believe that what these people really mean is "PS3 is teh doomed in NA only !111!1!" lol.

4pcvno2.gif

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
eatyobeans said:
I wish Nintendo actually promoted their games. While stuff like Mario Kart and Pokemon can essentially sell themselves, Excitebots and Rhythm Heaven could've easily made 100k+ this month had they been sufficiently hyped and marketed. They need that, or they will go completely unnoticed.
Rhythm Heaven's had the most extensive ad campaign I've seen for a DS in quite some time. Probably the biggest campaign's NOA's ever done for a new IP.

Milabrega

Excitebots was unveiled in a release list from Nintendo of America on February 26, 2009. First screen shots appeared in the form of magazine scans and the box art on March 4th, 2009. First trailer and game play footage came March 14th, 2009. It was released on April 20, 2009 in North America. Less than two months from announcement, it received no advertisement push. There are only 19 reviews for Excitebots on metacritic (5 of which are from nintendo fan blogs). Would its performance be enough to question Nintendo's choice in only announcing titles when they are about ready to release? Though we'd have to acknowledge Punch Out, coming out in a week, was known and shown 7 months in advance and has already received a larger marketing push than excitebots.

Regulus Tera said:
I know this is a North American thread, but that doesn't explain how the same game became such a sensation in Japan, which is where the disappointment at the numbers comes from.

Dude . . . have you ever compared the NPD charts & European charts to Japanese Media-create charts? It is like we are different planets. I've long stopped being surprised when something is a hit there and flops here or vice versa.

lawblob said:
Are they, though?

I wish I hadn't bought my DSi right about now, DSiWare is a joke and the camera is embarrassing. But I digress...

DSIWare's just over a month old.

Sounds to me like you made a stupid choice early adopting.

Lightning

Banned
I wonder what the GTA game on the DS done this month?

Pretty low sales. Sad to see the PS2 outsell both the PSP and PS3 despite what games both systems have been released and are in the future.

Price drop I know but still sucks.

Barrett2

cr_blah_blah said:
That annoying ass Beyonce Rhythm Heaven commercial is on all the time, I wouldn't blame lack of marketing for that one.

It is strange, she's the biggest celebrity they've had in a commercial. Im' surprised it didn't generate a little more buzz.

scitek

Yaceka said:
Excitebots probably did terrible due to the fact it has a shovelware name, shovelware boxart, and zero advertising. Also, I think that Nintendo's new plan of announcing things at the last minute is a terrible idea (sales wise). While this plan might work with bigger Nintendo franchises, their B games need more time for the average Wii owner to learn about. I messaged all of my friends on my Wii message board if anyone wanted to exchange friend codes for Excitebots and I was sent stuff like this back:

"Whats an excite bot? Is it like a robot dog?" <--- I think she thought it was a virtual pet game where you took care of robot animals. :lol

Literally none of my friends had it, and only 2 had heard of it (and they thought it looked like a "bargain bin game").

:(

Yeah, you may be right with all of that, but I think the SKU without the wheel will sell far less than the one with.

Barrett2

DeaconKnowledge said:
DSIWare's just over a month old.

Sounds to me like you made a stupid choice early adopting.

I'd also buy Jaguar 2 on launch day if it came out. Stupid early console adopting builds character.

MarkusRJR

cr_blah_blah said:
That annoying ass Beyonce Rhythm Heaven commercial is on all the time, I wouldn't blame lack of marketing for that one.
That commercial is so bad. How does a giggling beyonce (which is hard to recognize in the commercial) tapping a DSi in a commercial with very little gameplay footage even explain what the game is? (or make the game appealing for that matter?)

mujun

Andronicus said:
cant say the ps2 price drop didn't help?.....

and

i guess everyone finished upgrading their 360 models....
:lol

looks like you got "spoiler" tags mixed up with "stealth troll" tags.

no comment on the ps3?

FWIW . . . I have no idea what this 'Excitebots' is and I read GAF. So I'm guessing a lot of regular consumers are similarly unaware of the product.

AniHawk

speculawyer said:
FWIW . . . I have no idea what this 'Excitebots' is and I read GAF. So I'm guessing a lot of regular consumers are similarly unaware of the product.

It's a collection of minigames where you have to sexual please robotic animals and insects.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yaceka said:
That commercial is so bad. How does a giggling beyonce (which is hard to recognize in the commercial) tapping a DSi in a commercial with very little gameplay footage even explain what the game is? (or make the game appealing for that matter?)

To be fair, it's almost identical to the Japanese ads and the US Layton commercial.

Zhuk

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Actually, the numbers released in Nintendo's Financial report show the 360 has outsold the PS3 every week except one for the first 17 weeks in Europe. Overall, they show the 360 with a lead of 1M in Europe and apparently growing now since the beginning of 09.

Thanks for bringing this information to light, I really appreciate it. So if Nintendo is confirming Microsoft's claims about sales boosts in Europe, we can pretty much all agree that the 360 has been outselling the PS3 in Europe this year, with this trend looking to continue?

If the 360 is outselling the PS3 in NA and Europe, which are larger markets than Japan, does this not effectively put the PS3 in 3rd place status worldwide?

If all this is true I can't see how the global picture looks any better for Sony unless we are looking at Japan.

Zhuk said:
Thanks for bringing this information to light, I really appreciate it. So if Nintendo is confirming Microsoft's claims about sales boosts in Europe, we can pretty much all agree that the 360 has been outselling the PS3 in Europe this year, with this trend looking to continue?

If the 360 is outselling the PS3 in NA and Europe, which are larger markets than Japan, does this not effectively put the PS3 in 3rd place status worldwide?

If all this is true I can't see how the global picture looks any better for Sony unless we are looking at Japan.

wasn't there something from a eu source showing they are ahead of ps by around a million+ in Eu? and most of that being the uk?

can anyone dig that up?

xbhaskarx

GameGamer said:
Should Sony discontinue the PS2 so people have to go PS3?

PS2 is like the most successful console ever, PS3 is a disaster. Sony probably makes money on every PS2 sold and loses money on every PS3 sold.
So which one should Sony discontinue?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Andronicus said:
wasn't there something from a eu source showing they are ahead of ps by around a million+ in Eu? and most of that being the uk?

can anyone dig that up?

Yeah, it's from Nintendo's financial report:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/090508/index.html

This is what's gone on the first 17 weeks of 2009:

Code:
Week       X360        PS3        Wii

CW 1       146.608    130.781        258.230    
CW 2       79.968    81.634        146.608    
CW 3       59.976    53.312        126.616    
CW 4       47.481    47.481        115.787    
CW 5       47.481    47.481        115.787    
CW 6       42.483    39.984        89.964    
CW 7       40.817    34.986        99.127    
CW 8       39.984    31.654        86.632    
CW 9       44.149    40.817        87.465    
CW 10       47.481    42.483        75.803    
CW 11       52.479    40.817        74.970    
CW 12       39.151    30.821        58.310    
CW 13       45.815    39.151        69.972    
CW 14       44.149    34.986        69.972    
CW 15       43.316    32.487        88.298    
CW 16       36.652    29.155        79.135    
CW 17       30.821    25.823        65.807    

Total       888.811    783.853        1.708.483

This is LTD:

image1mmp.jpg

starsky

Thanks for the Europe chart :D
It finally puts things into perspective.

Low numbers for everyone, except Nintendo. Here's hoping E3 announcements will change that.

Truespeed

lawblob said:
Ouch at needing to sell another 50 million PS2s just to make back the money they're losing on the PS3.

Ouch at the billions they needed to spend on warranty repairs to avoid numerous class action lawsuits.

Basileus777 said:
I don't know how you can use the PS3 isn't an FPS console excuse when CODWAWA sold at a faster rate than Killzone. Part of that is due to the release date, but Killzone probably should have been released last Fall and Resistance 2 released this Spring.

Release date has nothing to do with it. In the exact same month a year earlier, Army of Two sold almost as much as KZ2 and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 sold more. Both in March.

Zhuk

Banned
Thanks for clarifying that, so 360 is actually beating the PS3 in Europe this year and it still is ahead in sales.

Since Europe is now a more important market than Japan, you can reasonably state the PS3 is relegated to 3rd position worldwide as of current market realities.

AniHawk

Amibguous Cad said:
I knew Klonoa wasn't going to sell all that well, but less than 2,000? Christ on a pogo stick

It actually had a full month's of sales too, and because of the screwy month, it was actually six weeks of sales.

EDIT: So the Wii's outsold the combined total of PS360 in Japan and Europe? I wouldn't have guessed Europe. Looks like North America is the only place the gap is left.

FrankT

No doubt PS2 had a nice month. Likely the best month all year until maybe December, but it's pretty much DOA from here on out if I had to guess. The trend is seriously downward before the cut for sure.

Barrett2

Truespeed said:
Ouch at the billions they needed to spend on warranty repairs to avoid numerous class action lawsuits.

Microsoft has 100 apples, Sony has 20 apples. If they both drop 5 apples, who will.... fuck it...

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Truespeed said:

I think you added an s on to the word billion that MS set aside. You simultaneously ignore that MS is making money while Sony is kinda hurting while also languishing forever in 3rd place.

Zhuk said:
Thanks for clarifying that, so 360 is actually beating the PS3 in Europe this year and it still is ahead in sales.

Since Europe is now a more important market than Japan, you can reasonably state the PS3 is relegated to 3rd position worldwide as of current market realities.

A slight evening factor is that the PS3 performs much better than the 360 in Japan in a relative sense so that closes the number a little bit in comparison but however you look at it, they certainly aren't kicking ass and taking names. Especially when you compare this to last gen.

Top Bottom