• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

Last time, resized/rehosted:

PS3_Slim_1.jpg

PS3_Slim_2r.jpg

PS3_Slim_3.jpg

PS3_Slim_4.jpg

PS3_Slim_5.jpg

The slots here fit perfectly with the I/O output of the latest motherboards:

PS3_Slim_6.jpg

Other:

Original 60GB PS3 Motherboard, 180watt versus current 80GB, 110watt (which has 65nm CPU/GPU):

60vs80.jpg

The standard workstations (as pointed out by Sin):

pink_workstation.jpg

Thanks to west and iceatcs for angling the image correctly, the system is almost quadratic:

PS3_Slim_7r.jpg

Goldrusher has done a good job trying to fit the various pieces:

PS3_Slim_Concept.jpg

So:

1. Convincing, professional chassis mold
2. Logo changed from PLAYSTATION 3 to PS3 which is logical, not proof for/against though
3. Packaging image is not shopped (though the pack itself might be custom made)
4. IBM have had the 45nm Cell in production (since mid 2008 I believe?), we all know the story about the general downsizing of PS3 components and lower power needs
5. Pink/green work stations! (same as background)
6. Sony shipped 10m PS3's in fiscal year 07 and 08 each, they are now saying 13m for 09.
7. Maintek Computer located in Suzhou, China, manufactures PS3s. They brought down the thread (Chinese) that was hosting these images with cease and desist.
8. Identical box art and font to the newly revealed PSP GO.

PSPGo.jpg

Don't expect this one at E3, not impossible but unlikely. Late summer/early fall.

voltron

yeah I agree. Not about the PS3 thing (well I do), but about that avatar.

That shit is disturbing. Is it from a movie or is it an alleged real photo?

Click said:
Honestly, I don't know why/how you're allowed to troll so hard for so long.
That's trolling? The spiderman font is horrible. Makes me glad I've got the top of the console hidden away in my entertainment unit.

Rolf NB

Machado said:
that SONY on the left looks horrible
Only because you hate Sony a little too much. It's the standard corporate Sony logo that has been on all their devices for at least two decades now. You have quite the gall to start complaining about that now.

hirokazu

I may double dip in the future so I can have another Blu-ray player and have a PS3 in two places, but I from what I know, you can share one account on two PS3s, but the save files (and hence unsynced trophy data) can't really be shared and that'd just make it too much of a hassle. If you copy a save from one PS3 to another, the remaining trophies to unlock get disabled, even though it's the same account, is this correct?

hirokazu

bcn-ron said:
Only because you hate Sony a little too much. It's the standard corporate Sony logo that has been on all their devices for at least two decades now. You have quite the gall to start complaining about that now.
I thought he meant it looked like a cheap knock-off on that mould, rather than the logo itself looking bad?

Wollan

hirokazu said:
If you copy a save from one PS3 to another, the remaining trophies to unlock get disabled, even though it's the same account, is this correct?
Nope.
Trophy info is synchronized on Sony servers.
It's not contained in the save files so you don't need to worry about that.

From Sony's earnings call yesterday:

Daniel Ernst - Hudson Square Research

...on the Game division, after flat sales in the PlayStation 3 for the year you just reported you're forecasting a 30% increase, which is positive, but does that assume a price reduction in the plan for both the units and the profitability of the group?

Nobuyuki Oneda - Sony CFO

...In the case of the pricing strategy for the PS3, please allow me not to make any comments at this moment. This is a very serious issue, so if I announce, you know, the price strategy, that's where I'll fix the inventory level. I'm sorry.

Rolf NB

hirokazu said:
I thought he meant it looked like a cheap knock-off on that mould, rather than the logo itself looking bad?
One can only hope.
It may be stating the obvious, but that particular part is just the upper half-shell. There'll be another part on the bottom. If the complaint is that it looks weird aligned at the bottom like that, with almost no margins, yes, that might be, but this isn't what it will appear like on a complete device.

panda21

Wollan said:
Nope.

are you sure? pretty sure it wont let you unlock new trophies if you copied the save game, even if its the same account

Rolf NB

Wollan said:
Nope.
Fun fact: trophies info is only synchronized with the server for games that have launched on the current machine, on the current account, at least once.

When people complain about having lost their trophies after a backup/restore procedure, this is almost always the reason. Just launch the game once briefly (only need to get to the title screen), synchronize trophies again and they're all back.

Wollan

panda21 said:
are you sure? pretty sure it wont let you unlock new trophies if you copied the save game, even if its the same account
I have never encountered this myself. I have unlocked additional KZ2 MP trophies on a different PS3 but then again, I never had a savefile to transfer (as KZ2 doesn't allow copying) and progress was just downloaded from the server when I logged in.
Hmm..

panda21

i'm not sure about the whole synchronisation thing, but i think it stops you from unlocking new ones, if the save game file has been moved around in any way. might be game specific though

my gta iv save from when i upgraded my HDD gave me a warning that i wouldnt get trophies because i had copied the save, even though i was playing it on the same account. pretty sure other games have done this too. (this was from copying the save to an ipod, then back into my account, not doing a full backup/restore)

hirokazu

panda21 said:
(this was from copying the save to an ipod, then back into my account, not doing a full backup/restore)
Yes, this is exactly what I was asking about. Locking it to a machine is dumb when you have online accounts.

panda21

hirokazu said:
Yes, this is exactly what I was asking about. Locking it to a machine is dumb when you have online accounts.

yeah it makes no sense. since its all online anyway it would be much better to just lock it to that psn account.

what makes it worse is that in my case its still the same machine just a different hard drive.. i dont understand..

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So he is saying that if he announced the price strategy it would have a negative impact on current sales.

DieH@rd

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
So he is saying that if he announced the price strategy it would have a negative impact on current sales.

Offcourse. Would you buy a ps3 now, if you know that in 2 monts there will be a 100$ pricedrop?

slider

I like to let myself get carried away occasionally. The only questions I have, which are pretty obvious, are...

1) $$?
2) Release date? (Despite Sin's cryptic post.)
3) How different the final release product will look to these pics? It'd be pretty damn close I'd say. Unless these are from a trial run or something. Does that sort of thing happen with electronics??

iceatcs

I'm wondering how much the shell (case and metal frame) on the PS3 at the moment?, because it looks using higher cost material.
The slim one look a simple plastics case which it is remain me of PSP to PSP Silm, because the cases are very different from between. I think Sony is really trying to save the production cost.

So it is possible to cut price and introduction new SKU. But I can't remember when PSP-2000 out, do they also cut the price or stick on it?

Click

Banned
I still think they are producing prototype models.
The box images aren't enough for me to believe they are already pumping these things out on an assembly line, ready to be shipped and launched in June/July.

Wollan

Click said:
The box images aren't enough for me to believe they are already pumping these things out on an assembly line, ready to be shipped and launched in June/July.
According to the original article they have been pumping out these since right after fiscal year 08 ended. That's early April. The 45nm Cell that is most likely in these has been in production at IBM since mid 2008. The original article also mentioned that it was 1/3 lighter than the latest model (which means it's 7.34lbs, 3.34KG).

Click

Banned
Wollan said:
According to the original article they have been pumping out these since right after fiscal year 08 ended. That's early April. The 45nm Cell that is most likely in these has been in production at IBM since mid 2008. The original article also mentioned that it was 1/3 lighter than the latest model (which means it's 7.34lbs, 3.34KG).

Well, nothing is set in stone and nothing has been confirmed (duh).
Also, why are there no images of fully assembled PS3 Slims? Why only images of the faceplate and backplate if they've been producing these for a month+ already?

Click said:
Well, nothing is set in stone and nothing has been confirmed (duh).
Also, why are there no images of fully assembled PS3 Slims? Why only images of the faceplate and backplate if they've been producing these for a month+ already?

The same reason you haven't seen pics of PSP2 or Microsoft's new handheld device or any other device. Pics hardly leak from assembly line and the only time you actually see leaks is when the marketing team fucks up and posts the manual or scans for advertising/marketing/press-releases.

iceatcs said:
I'm wondering how much the shell (case and metal frame) on the PS3 at the moment?, because it looks using higher cost material.
The slim one look a simple plastics case which it is remain me of PSP to PSP Silm, because the cases are very different from between. I think Sony is really trying to save the production cost.

So it is possible to cut price and introduction new SKU. But I can't remember when PSP-2000 out, do they also cut the price or stick on it?

Yup. It looks like the same material the ps2 is made out of, which is good. Cheap and clean. The 60gb ps3 certainly looks impressive, but it's a hassle to take care of.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Click said:

You still need to have plenty of stock to ship, plus it takes about one month for the boat shipments to get here. The annoucements of the PSP-2000 and other PS3 models still follow that timeline. Announcement early summer, shipment late summer early fall.

DrXym

Click said:

I don't think they'd be prototyping boxes, or indeed prototyping at all in the assembly plant.

I expect that the final case will look much like the 40gb model - matte black with a silver finish around the disc slot.

Click

Banned
shagg_187 said:
The same reason you haven't seen pics of PSP2 or Microsoft's new handheld device or any other device. Pics hardly leak from assembly line and the only time you actually see leaks is when the marketing team fucks up and posts the manual or scans for advertising/marketing/press-releases.

You still don't get what I'm saying.

Again, they only leaked images of the faceplate and backplate, not the entire PS3 all put together. Why is that? Why leak just the faceplate and backplate and not the entire thing assembled?

Yes Boss!

Blueblur1 said:
I would think that they already know whether its fake or not. And if it isn't I think some of them sort of have to act like its fake so they don't piss off Sony. At the end of the day, these guys all have to abide by NDAs and even if this isn't covered they wouldn't like to piss off Sony. I'm sure they want to be able to cover everything Sony shows at e3 and junk.

1up might be a big outfit but there is no way in hell that they know about hardware revisions...and they certainly aren't under an NDA for that. They are in the dark just as much as any one of us. And they can speculate as much as they want without worrying about being black-balled by Sony. My guess is that they recorded on Thursday without as much info.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Click said:

Again, they only leaked images of the faceplate and backplate, not the entire PS3 all put together. Why is that? Why leak just the faceplate and backplate and not the entire thing assembled?

ZOMG MAYBE BECAUSE THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE PICTURES DIDN'T MANAGE TO TAKE ANY FURTHER UP AHEAD WHERE THEY ARE COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED! IDONNO!

edit: imagine if the new PS3 model was disc-tray-less like the UMD-less PSP:p

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Click said:

Because these are probably workers on an assembly line? Why would they have access to the final complete version?

Neil

So basically it's slimmer... but still pretty much the same length and width as the Playstation 3.
Or have I just not seen my Playstation 3 in a long time?
If it was backwards compatible I would gladly trade my Playstation 3 in for it, but if not I see no point in getting it, as my PS2 is bust :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom