• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the HTC Magic (Reviews are in!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
El Papa said:
Here's the thread for the Magic G1 port: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=498026

The Hero port hasn't been released yet, but probably will be soon by the same guy.

Remember, you have to have a rooted phone to flash a modified ROM.

To be clear, I had flashed the Magic ROM. I'm using a modified ADP 1.5 right now, and I'm missing some of the HTC touches like the dailer, white on black texting, HTC icons. I'm going to flash this Hero ROM as soon as it's released.

thanks alot El Papa! I haven't messed with the phone like rooting or anything like that so I might need a little help on learning.

JaseMath

Midas said:
Do we know when it's going to be released? Q2? Q3? I REALLY need a new phone now but at the same time I don't want to make any premature decisions.
It just cleared the FCC with the T-Mobile network band attached (a great sign) and the leaked release roadmap puts a Samsung phone in Q3 fall - I'd look to the September/October timeframe. Wonder what they'll brand it as, because the i7500 tag probably won't stick.

I had the G1 for about a month and sent it back. I loved Android, but thought the phone was too large and clumsy. I've been waiting for a worthy replacement, and this is it. I can use my Razr for a few more months until the i7500 drops. :D

El Papa

ZROCOOL said:
thanks alot El Papa! I haven't messed with the phone like rooting or anything like that so I might need a little help on learning.
No problem. Here's some info to get you started.

Good noob post for info about Rooting an stuffs: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=513061

Actual step by step for rooting: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=442480

Another guide: http://haykuro.theiphoneproject.org/?page_id=35

Rooting my G1 was a godsend to me because I don't have internet access at my place atm, and it allows me to tether my laptop to my phone's 3G over wifi. Basically, wherever I get a 3G signal, I can get on the internet with my laptop. :)

XDA Developers forum is a great place to learn about using and customizing Android. Android Community forums is also a good spot.

El Papa

JasonMCG said:
I had the G1 for about a month and sent it back. I loved Android, but thought the phone was too large and clumsy. I've been waiting for a worthy replacement, and this is it. I can use my Razr for a few more months until the i7500 drops. :D
I had a Helio Ocean before I got my G1, so to me it was a slimdown. I don't mind the G1's size at all. The i7500's AMOLED screen is really beautiful, I need a hard keyboard though. :)

El Papa said:
I had a Helio Ocean before I got my G1, so to me it was a slimdown. I don't mind the G1's size at all. The i7500's AMOLED screen is really beautiful, I need a hard keyboard though. :)

I don't mind the G1s size either. I never had one and only played with it in stores, maybe if it was in my pocket I'd change my mind, but it feels good in the hands.

I wish HTC made Android phones for Sprint.

Midas

Batongen said:
You guys should reeeally wait for SE's offering when it comes to Android.

I can wait if they announce SOMETHING. A date or whatever. Trigger happy with stuff like IDOU, why can't they do the same thing with their upcoming Android phone? :)

El Papa

That is is Sony Ericsson is still around after thier massive losses.

Just curious, why should we wait for an SE phone when HTC, Samsung and other manufacturers already have phones out or in production? SE hasn't even shown a prototype Android phone. And when was the last hot SE phone?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Personally I'm now waiting for the Archos tablet. Whatever they announce on June 11 will make my decision. I suppose it's a good thing these companies have been taking their sweet ass time when bringing these to the US...

nubbe

El Papa said:
The Xperia was manufactured by HTC.
They had them make it since they don't have any experience with windows mobile.
But they still designed its functionality like the panels.

alas ergo visavi it is a Sony Ericsson design.

El Papa

SE designed a modded WinMo build, i.e. panels.

You mentioned 3D and the screen, which are hardware features. SE had HTC design the X1 hardware, vis a vis, concordantly, the X1 is designed by HTC.

Anyway, why don't you explain why you don't get why anyone would get anything but a SE phone, srsly, and why we should wait for an SE Android phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
nubbe said:

So you're saying that because SE customized the software of some HTC-made phone, we should be skipping HTC-made Android phones to wait for a SE-made one, even though there's a very low chance SE will be changing anything in the software for it anyways.

Hrm...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://www.pcworld.com/article/1650...om_htc_coming_to_singapore_in_early_june.html

The HTC Magic will be sold at a retail price of S$1,049 . The smart phone is expected to be launched in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam by the end of June.

Will be added to OP when there's a little more info. Gotta hand it to HTC, with the sheer global availability of this, they almost assuredly have a hit on their hands if they didn't before.

Worldwide, anyone wanna take bets? I think this could hit 3 million easily. :O

Midas

JasonMCG said:
It just cleared the FCC with the T-Mobile network band attached (a great sign) and the leaked release roadmap puts a Samsung phone in Q3 fall - I'd look to the September/October timeframe. Wonder what they'll brand it as, because the i7500 tag probably won't stick.

Seems like it will be released in France come July. Hopefully this means that it will spread all over Europe FAST! :)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/18/samsung-i7500-to-be-renamed-galaxy-released-in-france-in-early

dionysus

Yaldog
I need a new smartphone in the next 6 months. What phones are coming out in that timeframe. Touchscreen only.

Palm Pre, HTC Magic, i7500. What else? I must admit I really like how the HTC Magic looks and may end up going with that one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
@Hero UI: Eh. I kinda prefer the default look. Those vids don't really show anything but eye-candy anyways.

However, I do like the black/green color scheme. Android needs to unite its color scheme imo.

dionysus said:
I need a new smartphone in the next 6 months. What phones are coming out in that timeframe. Touchscreen only.

Palm Pre, HTC Magic, i7500. What else? I must admit I really like how the HTC Magic looks and may end up going with that one.

The Pre isn't touchscreen only. If you can wait, I'd go with the i7500 if you don't care for looks or don't need to use it outdoors (AMOLED sucks in direct sunlight).

waxer

I agree with the amoled statement. My Cowon s9 is rendered useless outside. Sucks if you want to change albums etc.

El Papa

Andrex said:
@Hero UI: Eh. I kinda prefer the default look. Those vids don't really show anything but eye-candy anyways.
Well, it shows a little more expanded functionality with the home screen navigation, such as added screens, smooth scrolling through multiple screens, being able to move widgets through screens, access to core phone functions on any screen (without the hard phone key). The HTC Gadgets look really cool, especially the home screen text messaging and Contacts, and the integrated social networking sounds cool.

Rumor is the browser has Flash. ;)
Not holding my breath on that though :(

NetMapel said:
So wait, what phones will be supporting this new Android UI ? I don't get this... HTC Magic supports Android 1.5, so will it be able to support Hero when it comes out ?
Hero is the code name of one of the new Android phones by HTC that's not released yet. The vids I posted are a heavily modified Android 1.5 build by HTC that's supposedly on Hero first. Someone got a hold of the Hero rom and now they're trying to port it to the G1. Not sure if they're going to port it to the Magic.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If you want a good look at the HTC Hero:

htc-hero-cell-phone.jpg

g3_htc_hero_1-620x389.jpg

IMO the only reason anyone would buy this hideous phone would be the software, so at least HTC realizes that. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
From one of our great mods over in the Android Dev Thread:

iapetus said:
For anyone in the UK, despite what the publicity material says, the HTC Magic doesn't seem to be locked to Vodafone - I've got one running fine with my O2 account right now, and it's sex on a stick.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Linked on the Worldwide HTC Magic page from the OP, there's now a subsite for the European/Vodafone version here.

Differences I can tell:

1. Size (Vodafone's is shorter): Worldwide Version = 113 x 55.56 x 13.65 mm ( 4.45 x 2.19 x 0.54 inches), Vodafone Version = 113 x 55 x 13.65 mm ( 4.45 x 2.17 x 0.54 inches)
  2. Weight (Worldwide's is lighter): Worldwide Version = 116 grams ( 4.09 ounces) with battery, Vodafone Version = 118.5 grams ( 4.18 ounces) with battery
  3. A2DP (Vodafone's isn't listed): Even though it's apart of Android 1.5 that both use, it is missing in the specs page for the Vodafone version.
  4. HTC Sync and Microsoft Exchange (Vodafone's doesn't have them): As stated numerously in the OP, the European version of the HTC Magic doesn't have these, but the Asian version does.
  5. With Google and Carrier Logo (Worldwide doesn't have them): The Worldwide/Asian version replaces "With Google" and the carrier logo, in this case Vodafone's, with two "htc" logos. Compare below:
    large1.jpg

large1.jpg
It was stated in the news recently that in order to have "With Google" on your device, you can't alter the Android OS. So, since HTC loves tinkering with their OS's (see: TouchWiz, TouchFlo), they removed Google from their worldwide version so they could tweak the OS (namely, to add native Exchange support). This will probably be the case for the HTC Hero too, as I believe those videos show HTC's own UI changes and not "Donut's".

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Animal said:
Is the headphone jack here yet?

Nope, either get an adapter or wait for the Samsung i7500/Galaxy.

Supposedly HTC is bundling adapters with the Magic now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
proposition said:
I won't even consider dropping my iPhone for an Android-based phone until someone makes a handset that isn't hideous.

I thought not reading the OP was against the rules? :)

Valtox

I'm after HTC Magic since before launch. Didn't know GAF was interested too.
I think I'm going to get one tomorrow.

kikonawa

hope its much better then touch diamand and PRO HD. i f in hate the windows mobile integration in phones.Everything is sluggish and not made for fingeruse

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
kikonawa said:
hope its much better then touch diamand and PRO HD. i f in hate the windows mobile integration in phones.Everything is sluggish and not made for fingeruse

That's the complete opposite of Android. Smooth as butter. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom