• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega announced Jambo! Safari (Wii/NDS)

deepbrown

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (Wednesday 20th May, 2009) -- SEGA® Europe Ltd., and SEGA® of America, Inc., today announced Jambo! Safari, an action packed African adventure exclusively for the home video game system, Wii™, and the Nintendo DS™ system. Hitting stores late in 2009, Jambo! Safari takes the fun and excitement of the classic 1990’s arcade action title and reinvents it with modern graphics and deeper gameplay, suited to today’s Nintendo consumers.

As with the original, the new Jambo! Safari allows you to play as one of four safari park rangers, but this time they are fully customisable. With the ultimate aim of becoming a fully qualified ranger, players must take on high speed challenges and exciting rescue missions across the rich and varied free-roaming landscapes of the African Plains. Using one of the four customisable vehicles, including the licensed Land Rover Defender 90 and 110, rangers will need to ensure the animals in their park are healthy and happy. The vast range of Jambo! Safari missions include rescuing animals in need, diagnosing and treating them before releasing them back to the wild, wildlife photography, sight seeing adventures and even hot air balloon rides!

Jambo! Safari Animal Rescue for Nintendo DS has been adapted to make full use of the stylus and double screens of the Nintendo DS system whilst interacting and caring for the animals of the African Plains. Swinging the Wii RemoteTM like a lasso and using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to drive through the vast levels of Jambo! Safari Ranger Adventure and will immerse players in a true safari experience on the Wii console.

“Jambo! Safari was a much loved SEGA arcade game that has lent itself perfectly to the unique way of playing games on Nintendo platforms”, commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director SEGA Europe. “Jambo! Safari makes learning fun, whilst children are playing the game and rescuing the wild animals they collect information cards, meaning they learn the characteristics of the animals and their natural habitat as they play”.

Alongside the single player adventure to become a ranger, Jambo! Safari Ranger Adventure for Wii will also contain a co-op mode enabling you to share certain missions with a friend. The party games can be enjoyed by up to four people, so take your pick between Ostrich Racing, Meerkat Madness and more safari style fun.

Jambo! Safari will be releasing for the home video game system, Wii™ and the Nintendo DS™ system late in 2009.

Dascu

Remake of the arcade game with updated graphics. Some pics from the original can be found here: http://www.segaarcade.com/archive/jambosafari.aspx

Edit:
js-ss2x.jpg

Day one.

Gagaman

Oh wow! I remember they were planning to put this, a fire fighter game and a Ambulance game on a disc for the Dreamcast but for some reason it never happened. All three of them would be perfect for the Wii (especially the fire fighter one) so this is a great start! :D

<3 Sega on Wii.

Ok, I was really excited until I clicked the screens. This is not a direct port. Who is doing this? The art looks western... I'll be cautiously optimistic until we have more info, I suppose.

camineet

Banned
OMFG Yes

If they're willing to bring out an 7-8 year old NAOMI arcade game, I hope they'll also concider bringing home an 11 year old MODEL 3 arcade game (Daytona USA 2 Battle on the Edge and Power Edition).

Taker666 said:
Excellent..

..now just talk to Lucasarts and work out a deal to port Star Wars Trilogy Arcade to the Wii.

Totally unrelated to this thread of course but there was a rumour late last year that someone had acquired the rights to release a Rogue Squadron trilogy on Wii with proper Wii controls... that'd be cool. I'd love to hear news of that at E3

Gagaman

They had a whole row of those cabinets in the jungle section of Disney Quest a few years back when i went there. :D

I love that era of 3D when they had just gotten past the awkward early 3D but were still not ultra realistic, instead opting for simple fun, colourful visuals that ran at a solid 60fps and didn't over blow your senses with special effects and lighting/blurring.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Gagaman said:
They had a whole row of those cabinets in the jungle section of Disney Quest a few years back when i went there. :D

I love that era of 3D when they had just gotten past the awkward early 3D but were still not ultra realistic, instead opting for simple fun, colourful visuals that ran at a solid 60fps and didn't over blow your senses with special effects and lighting/blurring.
It works well for arcade games because all the stupid arcadey non-realistic stuff doesn't look out of place.

acidviper

Banned
Sonic better be in this or sub 100k sales. Being realistic here nobody outside of Neogaf is going to know WTF this is. And how can you even market this. Hey kids remember that arcade game you played a long time ago with a name you can't remember. Well here it is.

Gagaman

acidviper said:
Sonic better be in this or sub 100k sales. Being realistic here nobody outside of Neogaf is going to know WTF this is. And how can you even market this. Hey kids remember that arcade game you played a long time ago with a name you can't remember. Well here it is.
Safari games and games with animals in them sell pretty well, that and mini games which are mentioned.

woxel1

OH MY GOD

OH MY FUCKING GOD

DAY ONE

I've been saying this game needs to come out of the Wii all along, I'm always like

"Dude."

"Yeah?"

"You know what game would be great for the Wii?"

"What?"

"You ever play Jambo! Safari, in arcades?"

"No, what is that?"

"It's like the best fucking game ever. Anyway, it would control perfectly on the Wii. You'd drive around with the nunchuck and cast out a net to catch animals with the Wiimote. It's perfect."

"Oh, cool?"

And now it's finally happening, I'm like fucking Nostradamus here. This is the reason I bought a Wii!

Day. One.

camineet

Banned
woxel1 said:
OH MY GOD

OH MY FUCKING GOD

DAY ONE

I've been saying this game needs to come out of the Wii all along, I'm always like

And now it's finally happening, I'm like fucking Nostradamus here. This is the reason I bought a Wii!

Day. One.

Now help me wish Daytona and Daytona 2 into existance for Wii :D

dyls

woxel1 said:
OH MY GOD

OH MY FUCKING GOD

DAY ONE

Day. One.

It seems to me like it would make more sense to use the pointer to aim the lasso. Swinging the wiimote is fun and all, but the pointer would add a lot more to the experience. Perhaps they'll make it so you can point to aim, then hold A or something to lock on and then swing the wiimote, kind of like Boom Blox. Might be tough to do in the heat of the chase though.

Anyway, love this game in the arcades. Still play it when I go to the shitty Mann theatres in Glendale.

camineet

Banned
Also, in addition to the Daytona games, we desperately need the following
two games on Wii: Brave Firefighters and Emergency Call Ambulance.

16027201.jpg

16426601.jpg

16426602.jpg

^Would be so good with the Wii's control scheme^

16138501.jpg

16138502.jpg

16426801.jpg

^Would also be fun, like Crazy Taxi^

All 3 games: Brave Firefighters, Emergency Call Ambulance, Jambo! Safari, were supposed to be released together on a single Dreamcast GD-ROM, earlier this decade....

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
they should package Harley Davidson, Crazy Taxi, and Emergency Call together someday.

Top Bottom