• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon developer explains reason for lack of voice chat and more

Even though I'm annoyed at the lack of voice chat I'll still buy the game and give it a shot. Hopefully enough people complain and reviews slam this exclusion to the point where Nintendo includes it in a sequel.

So voice chat is really important to gamers, uh?
Man, I'm f****g hating everything about modern gaming.

Yeah man, that's crazy how some of us want to be able to talk to our friends instead of being anti-social hermits. If you hate modern gaming so much there's plenty of retro titles to keep you busy.

Ziffles

!

I just remembered that there is a modern team based online shooter that had something much better than voice chat: Tribes: Ascend. I loved that game's macro system. Not saying Splatoon has such a system as they would've mentioned it in defense over this voice controversy, but I still want it mentioned that you can forego voice chat if you account for it with something else (that isn't shit.)

Shazbot!
That would require Nintendo to actually do some voiceover work that isn't a universal gibberish.

VVV I used to annoy people in Tribes 1 by saying ARR ARR ARR like a pirate, over and over.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Even though I'm annoyed at the lack of voice chat I'll still buy the game and give it a shot. Hopefully enough people complain and reviews slam this exclusion to the point where Nintendo includes it in a sequel.

I agree with this except that I'd enjoy it more as an OS feature like the party system, instead of just a Splatoon 2 one. That would also allow other games people complain about to have voice chat.
That would require Nintendo to actually do some voiceover work that isn't a universal gibberish.
Whatever man I just want to VGTG, okay? ;-;

Its not about the kids.

Its for the latency/bandwidth. Same reason Smash/Kart don't have in-game talk.

I don't think this is a legit excuse. How do you think every modern online game has some sort of chat functionality without ruining the latency.

TSM

Modern gaming? People have been using voice chat for team based games since the late 90s (on PC obviously). Nintendo missing such an expected standard feature for team based shooters was always going to bring criticism.

SmithnCo

If it doesn't get a party system, where I can team up with a friend and join the queue, (Smash is missing this!!!) I don't know then. Just half the fun...
I'm getting it anyways, but pls. This has to be an option

I'm still waiting for them to talk in-depth about party/community options. No voice chat with friends is kinda baffling but this really needs good party systems.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Its not about the kids.

Its for the latency/bandwidth. Same reason Smash/Kart don't have in-game talk.

I'm somewhat inclined to believe this... at least remembering that Pokemon X/Y had voice chat, which is a game where lag doesn't really play a huge role. Though lag certainly isn't the only factor in the decision to omit voice chat.
I don't think this is a legit excuse. How do you think every modern online game has some sort of chat functionality without ruining the latency.
Who's usually handling the servers for those? Because remember Nintendo doesn't charge for online. I'm aware neither did Sony for the PS3 times, but they've stopped doing it by now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So there's at least one? Because people keeps naming other games that are M in most cases.

It doesn't matter if you have people on the mic shouting obseneties as it all falls under "Game Experience May Change During Online Play" or whatever, ESRB can't control that. Rating wouldn't be impacted, voice chat or not.

Nightbird

Yeah, this basically confirms that Amiibo has turned into on-disc DLC. 45 challenges and 15 pieces of equipment locked behind a paywall at launch? Watch the same fanboys who spew vitriol at Ubisoft and EA defend this.

Yeah, i usually defend Amiibo, but this here is exactly the kind of crap i didn't want to happen. I don't want a good chunk of Missions being locked behind Figures you may not find

It already did when the FE characters for Codename S.T.E.A.M were announced.

Not really the same,because you are looking at this from the wrong Perspective. This is more like "Oh, you have a Fire Emblem Amiibo? Tap it here, and your Character can battle with the Original Characters from the Game" It's like Costume DLC or a Cameo. A Bonus in the Game meant to get People intrested, wich is why they are also not Part of the Story.

Vena

Unless I am mistaken there are several factors: bandwidth considerations, netcode considerations, and simple demand on the servers/machines. Splatoon's mechanics/physics and high frame-rate would, I would imagine, eat up a ton of bandwidth to track and produce accurately over a network. Splatoon isn't going to have the CoD networking budget, after all.

Yeah, i usually defend Amiibo, but this here is exactly the kind of crap i didn't want to happen. I don't want a good chunk of Missions being locked behind Figures you may not find

The OP needs to really be updated, there is no "chunk of missions". Its recycled single-player with "only use X/beat under Y seconds" forced limitations, they went over some of it on the Treehouse stream. Things you could do on your own if you so choose. The only actual content is the three distinct costumes (5 pieces per costume).

Broritos

I want Splatoon but I'm going to go ahead and hold off on it simply because of no voice chat. Unless Nintendo releases an update to the OS that adds party chat or something.

The only way for a company to get a clue is to not buy their product. I have a feeling it doesn't work on Nintendo but I'm going to go ahead and try anyway.

I want Splatoon but I'm going to go ahead and hold off on it simply because of no voice chat. Unless Nintendo releases an update to the OS that adds party chat or something.

The only way for a company to get a clue is to not buy their product. I have a feeling it doesn't work on Nintendo but I'm going to go ahead and try anyway.

Way to take a stand I guess.

Ziffles

Look all I know is whenever I'm on AOL and I try to talk on the phone, it interrupts my connection. That's just the way it is.

s7uHshU.jpg

Neiteio

Nintendo hardly reacts when people don't buy their entire freaking console, so... good luck with that!

people actually use voice chat in modern shooters? 97% of the people I encounter in Halo have no mic or are in party chat. If they aren't that one person is usually calling someone without a mic a Bitch to no avail.

Dr. Buni

Voice chat is totally worthless to me. In fact, I am glad it is absent from the game. What I really dislike is having content locked behind amiibo.

Karkador

Banned
What would a mute button or opting in to voice chat really solve?

If the issue is that voice chat is necessary to coordinate the team, then you are potentially going to be playing with people who have voice chat turned off, effectively making the team about as coordinated as not having it at all.

If you gate the multiplayer to voice/no-voice, you're splitting the online base.

Neiteio

Splatoon should have voice chat. At least for friends, if nothing else. If Nintendo can't trust friends to talk nicely to one another, might as well eliminate local multiplayer modes from all Nintendo games, as well.

RE_Player

It's fine that some people don't like voice chat. The thing is some of us would like the choice to communicate with friends or others in the game.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Splatoon should have voice chat. At least for friends, if nothing else. If Nintendo can't trust friends to talk nicely to one another, might as well eliminate local multiplayer modes from all Nintendo games, as well.

pls no

They're part of the few that still focus on local.

Clefargle

I really don't care what the devs experience with online voice chat was. If you restrict it to friends then it's not problem at all. This seems like a post hoc rationalization rather than a legit design decision. I'm really dissapointed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What would a mute button or opting in to voice chat really solve?

If the issue is that voice chat is necessary to coordinate the team, then you are potentially going to be playing with people who have voice chat turned off, effectively making the team about as coordinated as not having it at all.

If you gate the multiplayer to voice/no-voice, you're splitting the online base.

Friends.
And even just 1 or 2 friendly randoms with mics in a match would help immensely.

Korosenai

So does this game have a party system/custom game/anyway to play with your friends system? I can kind of sort of get past the no voice chat thing, but if I can't consistently play with friends and go up against randoms online, then I'll probably have to skip this game.

Morokh

"This is coming from personal experience. When I played online games, I didn't like the negativity I got and people telling me 'You're crap. Go away'. So we wanted to focus on the positive aspects of online gaming," says Amano..

This, so much !!!

But still, with friends it should be possible in the game just for convenience.

Neiteio

Nintendo thinks they can silence the gamers. But I know how this will turn out: Everyone will just ignore the match and paint dicks on the walls instead. And then Sakaguchi will be all like, "Pls, staph... STAPH! You're arousing Judd the Cat!" While Judd the Cat dry-humps his leg.

Karkador

Banned
Friends.
And even just 1 or 2 friendly randoms with mics in a match would help immensely.

I think the POV from Japan (also, my own experience with most console online games) is that people usually play with randoms more so than with friends. I even know people who own games like Smash and Mario Kart, but the majority of my online time with those games is with strangers.

Likewise, the last interesting thing Japan did with online gaming was the stuff in the Souls games, which was all pretty much anonymous and indirect. People say this is "Nintendo being Nintendo", but I think this is just how Japanese players think of online interactions.

I do find it more natural to form a regular online crew with PC games, but that's because there will be a support system around the game (community forums, private servers, chat software, etc.) that is just an alt-tab away.

nampad

There is really a defense force for everything.
Nintendo showing how backwards they are again doesn't surprise me.

Hahaha, what?

People talk about online games being less personal and pining for the good old days of local multiplayer. You know what is a big part of that appeal? Actually communicating with other people.

I think the POV from Japan (also, my own experience with most console online games) is that people usually play with randoms more so than with friends. I even know people who own games like Smash and Mario Kart, but the majority of my online time with those games is with strangers.

Prolly because Smash and Mario Kart are mostly played as FFAs, and neither of them have a traditional party system with invites.

LOL I swear to god if Splatoon was split screen only with no online, these guys would be making the same excuse for Nintendo.

So online gameplay is really important to gamers, uh?

Top Bottom