• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon developer explains reason for lack of voice chat and more

Oddduck

From this month’s issue of EDGE, the developers of Splatoon explain the reason for the lack of voice chat in the game. Edge magazine says, "Splatoon has no voice chat and never will".

Source: Nintendo Everything

Amano is a fan of "shooting games", but when he would invite friends to play with him they would get frustrated. He wants to make a game that is different that people who aren't fans of traditional shooters can play.

"This is coming from personal experience. When I played online games, I didn't like the negativity I got and people telling me 'You're crap. Go away'. So we wanted to focus on the positive aspects of online gaming," says Amano.

Amano says he's not saying that chat in an online game can't contribute to fun but they want to grab new players.

You can also read a full summary of the Splatoon Edge article from thefro in the Splatoon Twitter GAF thread here.

Summary of Edge article on Splatoon
- Main article has quotes from Amano/Sakaguchi and Nogami and talks about Edge playing the same demo build of the game the media played a few weeks back.
- The prototype had basic block characters and the ink painting mechanic. You were invisible when you were in your own ink. Amano/Sakaguchi added in jumping, hiding in ink, and the ability to shoot up and down. After that, though, they were confused about what they wanted to do with the game. They thought they might put a squid character on the box art but they needed a humanoid character to hold the guns. They thought a "squid human" wouldn't sell.
- Amano/Sakaguchi were scolded by Miyamoto in 2013 when doing the prototype who said "I don't understand. What do you want to do? There's no appeal to this game".
- They had an epiphany on Jan 6, 2014 that they could have you switch between a squid and human form and they rapidly got a bunch of ideas about how you swim faster in your own ink, you slow down in enemy ink and take damage, you can swim up walls, etc.
- Amano is a fan of "shooting games", but when he would invite friends to play with him they would get frustrated. He wants to make a game that is different that people who aren't fans of traditional shooters can play.
- Edge magazine says "Splatoon has no voice chat and never will". Amano says: "This is coming from personal experience. When I played online games, I didn't like the negativity I got and people telling me 'You're crap. Go away'. So we wanted to focus on the positive aspects of online gaming". Amano says he's not saying that chat in an online game can't contribute to fun but they want to grab new players.
- Confirms that there are some Splat Zone maps with more than one boxed-off area to capture. If you claim all the territories your timer starts to count down, but if your opponent captures one the timer stops.
- The same primary weapon can come in a variation with the different sub/special weapon
- Can start firing after a super jump right before you land
- More online modes besides Turf War/Splat Zones
- One respawn point per team, but you're invulnerable while on it to discourage campers.
- A lot of the designers on the team are in their 30s, so the 90s style with street fashion and trainers is a big inspiration for the outfits
- Trick to balancing the weapons according to Sakaguchi is to make people want a little more ("if only it could shoot a little farther/shoot faster"). They aren't going out trying to make the strongest weapon in the game.
- 15 singleplayer challenges and "5 rare pieces of gear" for each of the 3 Amiibos
- Q&A with Katsuya Eguchi. Thinks Splatoon IP has huge potential. Important to have things that will draw attention to the game after release (basically hints at content updates/DLC).

Here's a few other notes:
- A note mentions that one of the pairs of shoes available changes color to match the Inkling you've created
- The article mentions one of the challenges for the girl inlking Amiibo might be completing a stage in a certain time limit
- Nintendo is testing the game internally and there are frequent "quarrels" between team members discussing which weapon is stronger in certain situations
- They spent two hours talking about how long it should take the grenades to explode
- Amano and Sakaguchi have been been thinking about the game so much that they've been dreaming about it. Sakaguchi actually dreamed that he asked one of the programmers on the team to come up with something and the programmer in his dream implemented it and showed it to Sakaguchi. Sakaguchi loved the idea. He had that programmer (in real life) put it in the game the next day!

Reset

Ah can't they set up private chat parties with your friends only? If that's impossible on the WiiU, if you don't like to hear negativity turn the volume off? Or even just give an option to mute some players...

Hatchtag

Banned
"This is coming from personal experience. When I played online games, I didn't like the negativity I got and people telling me 'You're crap. Go away'. So we wanted to focus on the positive aspects of online gaming," says Amano.

Amano says he's not saying that chat in an online game can't contribute to fun but they want to grab new players.

Wow it's almost as if some sort of choice between chatting or not would solve this problem.

Kriken

That's what the mute function is for though...

I'm sorry, but I will never like the idea of removing options

Azure J

That Voice Chat comment is going to get them raked over the coals, especially when muting would suffice.

I'm still more than excited for the game but I can already think of a few people this will be a deal breaker for offline.

The no voice chat logic is asinine. Freewill exists, and people have every opportunity to unplug their mic and mute other players. As someone who garners at least half of my fun in online games from chatting with friends, it's obnoxious as hell to not be able to do.

I don't understand how this is a deal breaker for some people. Slight inconvenience maybe but come on. Game will be great regardless

Ah can't they set up private chat parties with your friends only? If that's impossible on the WiiU, if you don't like to hear negativity turn the volume off? Or even just give an option to mute some players...
Wii u has no party chat support. The only voice chat is through a standalone video chat app (useless if you have skype and a computer) or coded into the game.

Opt-in voice in public matches is pretty useless. Destiny has that and no one ever uses it.

For public matches this is okay but it's too bad the wii u doesn't have party chat for friends matches. It's annoying not having that option for smash or mk8.

- More online modes besides Turf War/Splat Zones

Expected but good to hear.

I wonder if there are any other local multiplayer modes than the 1 vs 1 Balloon Battle Dojo.

As much as people would love for Nintendo to stop filling in for their parents, they figured that it would've been better to do without to save them the headache?

I'm rather miffed that there's no option (at least on a friends level), but I can't say that I wasn't any bit surprised.

Buying the game anyway since voice chat was not a make-or-break decision in me picking it up.

As much as people would love for Nintendo to stop filling in for their parents, they figured that it would've been better to do without to save them the headache?

I'm rather miffed that there's no option (at least on a friends level), but I can't say that I wasn't any bit surprised.

Buying the game anyway since voice chat was not a make-or-break decision in me picking it up.

Basically all of this.

Shauni

I get what he means, kind of, but I still don't think it's the best excuse for it.

And 5 pieces of gear for the amiibos? Does that mean 5 costumes I wonder, or just 5 pieces of a wardrobe, since I believe you can custom various different parts of your character, I think. Either way, more amiibo hate coming, I'm sure, since it sounds like a lot.

Exile20

Wow it's almost as if some sort of choice between chatting or not would solve this problem.

That's what the mute function is for though...

I'm sorry, but I will never like the idea of removing options

Kids don't do that tho. As a teenager/adult yes you think to do that but as a kid you don't. Plus if their parents hear then no way they would let their kid play it again.

Remember this game is E10+

Also this game is not Battlefield 64 player games. This is 4 v 4, one person sucking on a team can easily lose it for his/her team. People get heated over this. The shit I have heard/seen in awesomenauts is just ridiculous.

I don't understand how this is a deal breaker for some people. Slight inconvenience maybe but come on. Game will be great regardless

There isn't a single multiplayer shooter that isn't made more fun by the ability to issue tactical information over voice. I'm sure Splatoon will be very fun, but being strategically hamstrung by not being able to call out enemy positions, attack routes, etc over voice is going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

It must be real fucking hard to implement a chat with friends only privacy option like other platforms have had for at least a decade.

Thanks for posting.

It's really "to protect the kids" but other than that, nice information.

I don't have statistics to support this but I'd wager the majority of Wii U owners are adults. Most kids are playing iphone/Ipad games and mature console games like Call of Duty. They don't care about Nintendo.

Stoze

Come on, not being able to communicate in-game to teammates in a competitive team-based multiplayer game?

It dosen't matter to me much, but I can easily understand how that is a turn off for people.

impact

Banned
Ahh thanks Nintendo. Bringing me the positive aspects of online multiplayer gaming like not being able to talk to my friends.

This company does not get it.

Exile20

Come on, not being able to communicate in-game to teammates in a competitive team-based multiplayer game?

It dosen't matter to me much, but I can easily understand how that is a turn off for people.

There is still skype, cellphones, etc. Yes, not ideal but there are ways just as easy as ingame chat.

Fandangox

Kids don't do that tho. As a teenager/adult yes you think to do that but as a kid you don't. Plus if their parents hear then no way they would let their kid play it again.

Also this game is not Battlefield 64 player games. This is 4 v 4, one person sucking on a team can easily lose it for his/her team. People get heated over this. The shit I have heard/seen in awesomenauts is just ridiculous.

They could have made it so one has to opt-in by default then. Or just use parental controls options so kids cannot activate themselves, plus ESBR does not rate Online experiences.

Yeah, this basically confirms that Amiibo has turned into on-disc DLC. 45 challenges and 15 pieces of equipment locked behind a paywall at launch? Watch the same fanboys who spew vitriol at Ubisoft and EA defend this.

MegaPanda

I wish they'd keep voice chat in, but default it as disabled. Lock the option to enable it behind parental controls or something.

There isn't a single multiplayer shooter that isn't made more fun by the ability to issue tactical information over voice. I'm sure Splatoon will be very fun, but being strategically hamstrung by not being able to call out enemy positions, attack routes, etc over voice is going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Im not denying its value. Just dont understand some of the hyperbole and outrage. Voice chat is gravy, but wont make or break the game.

Chaos17

+1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

Even just with the normal chat people can be so toxic, damn my blacklist in heroes of storm is already full after 2 weeks.
So yeah, NO voice chat pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeasssssssssssssssssssssse or even normal chat with strangers.
A : "Lol, noob Murradin why did die on the boss ?!
Me : Because you let me die on it when I was protecting from the enemy players ?!!"

People can just setup their own private chat with friends if they want it soo much.

Hatchtag

Banned

There's voice chat in Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, a similar-genre aimed at a similar demographic. You can turn it off, you can just have party chat, but regardless, you have options. With this there is not that option. I will likely get bored quickly, because there will be limited strategy when you can not communicate with team members.

They have parental controls on their system for a reason, use them so games don't get boggled down by these asinine decisions. At the very least, have cross-game chat as a system feature so that the games aren't so boggled down when their developers make these poor choices.

Eh. I don't care. As long as the core aspect of the game is good and the online is lag-free then I'm happy. I don't need voice chat.

Regiruler

Yeah, this basically confirms that Amiibo has turned into on-disc DLC. 45 challenges and 15 pieces of equipment locked behind a paywall at launch? Watch the same fanboys who spew vitriol at Ubisoft and EA defend this.

1. The challenges aren't new, but rehashes of campaign missions with a different weapon
2. While exclusive gear is bad, keep in mind that there's a set of about 5 items per outfit, so 5 is needed per set to give a full look.

hwy_61

Banned
I don't understand the logic of excluding a feature over just giving people the option. Nintendo is so backwards is not even funny.

Shauni

I get what he means, kind of, but I still don't think it's the best excuse for it.

And 5 pieces of gear for the amiibos? Does that mean 5 costumes I wonder, or just 5 pieces of a wardrobe, since I believe you can custom various different parts of your character, I think. Either way, more amiibo hate coming, I'm sure, since it sounds like a lot.

Yep, and I almost said Gonzo, too. Like the moon and the tides.

Top Bottom