• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon developer explains reason for lack of voice chat and more

Revven

I mean, even if they allowed it with friends I bet you it would work like Mario Kart 8 where you can only talk in the lobby.

Nintendo just doesn't seem to want people to talk to each other during gameplay and/or at all.

Zero²

Dunno, I feel that for most people that voice chat would be such a deal breaker, either weren't that much interested in the game to begin with or don't even have a WiiU.
Really by all the previews I have seen, rarely are the ones that make a big deal out of it. Got to the point where people didn't talk to each other even if they were next to each other.
I guess the game is easy to understand and fast paced, since you can warp everywhere and have a map to see where you are needed, that voice chat might have been a little redundant?

hatchx

Banned
Xbox 360 party chat worked well with Mario Kart Wii. It gets tiring having to turn on and use two consoles just to chat, though.

Ridiculous

You know, as ridiculous as it is to not have voice chat in Nintendo's online games, it's equally ridiculous to try to join a friend's game. It's cumbersome, and without the ability to instant message friends online on the OS level, or join their games, or invite them from OS level...

...I guess I've just accepted the 'type' of online game nintendo provides. Maybe next-gen...

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Zero²;159402970 said:
Dunno, I feel that for most people that voice chat would be such a deal breaker, either weren't that much interested in the game to begin with or don't even have a WiiU.
Really by all the previews I have seen, rarely are the ones that make a big deal out of it. Got to the point where people didn't talk to each other even if they were next to each other.
I guess the game is easy to understand and fast paced, since you can warp everywhere and have a map to see where you are needed, that voice chat might have been a little redundant?

For practical purposes it doesn't seem that important, yes. And it's not like the game was designed with voice chat in mind.

But you have to acknowledge it's more fun to actually talk with at least the friends you're playing with. I can understand not liking the general tone of most public servers, but I still like my friends.

Hatchtag

Banned
Zero²;159402970 said:

I donno. For me I'm worried because there was another online shooter that was really kid friendly, had an awesome online system, was super fun and just really unique. I played its online maybe twice because not having a way to communicate with who I was playing with got boring. That game's name? Kid Icarus Uprising. I'm afraid this is gonna be the same situation. Game that looks great and is great, but gets boring because the lack of communication gives it an unintended skill cap.

Daingurse

That's fine if you won't use it but there are millions of players who would like the option.

I'm more than aware of that. Just noting it makes no difference to me personally. Wanting voice chat is a legitimate desire, so I get where you're coming from. My antisocial ass doesn't really care though, making Splatoon cater to me lol.

Scrawnton

Not a big deal to me. Haven't voice chatted on my ps4 in over a year and I play battlefield a couple nights every week.

I don't have statistics to support this but I'd wager the majority of Wii U owners are adults. Most kids are playing iphone/Ipad games and mature console games like Call of Duty. They don't care about Nintendo.

Yeeeaahh....I'm really inclined to think this is true also. The Wii U has sold poorly, but you can bet the people who have bought are the people who are enthusiastic about Nintendo games, who are often 20+...just look at who Amiibos sell to.

Alex

How do you split voice chat from a PC/mobile source with console game audio? Is there a good solution for that? We had our couple of console players do it with raiding in FFXIV but it always seemed like a huge pain in the ass.

J@hranimo

Banned
I will continue to not understand their reasoning with not allowing an OPTION for any kind of chat capabilities.

Ugh....I mean, still day 1, it's just annoying.

Stoze

People can just setup their own private chat with friends if they want it soo much.

Why not give people the choice? We have mute buttons in-game and on microphones these days. Even just setting chat mute on default would go a long way.

thefro

Here's a few other notes:
- A note mentions that one of the pairs of shoes available changes color to match the Inkling you've created
- The article mentions one of the challenges for the girl inlking Amiibo might be completing a stage in a certain time limit
- Nintendo is testing the game internally and there are frequent "quarrels" between team members discussing which weapon is stronger in certain situations
- They spent two hours talking about how long it should take the grenades to explode
- Amano and Sakaguchi have been been thinking about the game so much that they've been dreaming about it. Sakaguchi actually dreamed that he asked one of the programmers on the team to come up with something and the programmer in his dream implemented it and showed it to Sakaguchi. Sakaguchi loved the idea. He had that programmer (in real life) put it in the game the next day!

Oddduck

Here's a few other notes:
- A note mentions that one of the pairs of shoes available changes color to match the Inkling you've created
- The article mentions one of the challenges for the girl inlking Amiibo might be completing a stage in a certain time limit
- Nintendo is testing the game internally and there are frequent "quarrels" between team members discussing which weapon is stronger in certain situations
- They spent two hours talking about how long it should take the grenades to explode
- Amano and Sakaguchi have been been thinking about the game so much that they've been dreaming about it. Sakaguchi actually dreamed that he asked one of the programmers on the team to come up with something and the programmer in his dream implemented it and showed it to Sakaguchi. Sakaguchi loved the idea. He had that programmer (in real life) put it in the game the next day!

Thanks! I will add this to the OP.

3rnvk6.jpg

Why not give people the choice? We have mute buttons in-game and on microphones these days. Even just setting chat mute on default would go a long way.

Because the devs didn't think it added anything positive to the game. If people want to talk to their teammates there are tons of ways to do so. Fuck, nine times out of ten I just put my phone on speaker to play online with my buddy because setting up the headsets is a PITA...not really going to miss it.

Nintendo doesn't even have an official headset for the U anyways, just licensed ones.

Illucio

Banned
I wish there was voice chat with friends. But I agree voice chat with random strangers sucks a lot.

Some games like Monster Hunter really benefit by having voice chat in there games (still waiting on that Wii U port so I can have voice chat Capcom.) While games like Call of Duty don't really need it because your just screaming at each other that you killed them, someone sucks, or your so good you must be cheating.

Because the devs didn't think it added anything positive to the game. If people want to talk to their teammates there are tons of ways to do so. Fuck, nine times out of ten I just put my phone on speaker to play online with my buddy because setting up the headsets is a PITA...not really going to miss it.

Nintendo doesn't even have an official headset for the U anyways, just licensed ones.
The gamepad has a mic built in.

Dereck

This is what skype was made for.
If I want to meet other Splatoon players online, it would be cool if I had the chance to talk to them first. Skype or Steam chat is only going to work with people I already know.

Yes, this is a deal breaker for me, the Wii U already doesn't have parties, or a messaging system that has onscreen notifications.

It doesn't end with this game, Devil's Third and Xenoblade have huge online components, if those games don't have voice chat online either, then I'm out. I can respect the decision of no voice chat, but I can choose not to buy the game, I'm not surprised, however.

You know, as ridiculous as it is to not have voice chat in Nintendo's online games, it's equally ridiculous to try to join a friend's game. It's cumbersome, and without the ability to instant message friends online on the OS level, or join their games, or invite them from OS level...

...I guess I've just accepted the 'type' of online game nintendo provides. Maybe next-gen...
Playing Smash with friends online who don't use PS4/Skype/Xbox Chat, or whatever, is a pain. They're online, but I can't send them a message that they will see, too bad.

I don't want to accept it because it is also annoying for the electric bills. Nintendo makes low wattage consoles, but having to use an MS/Sony console (sold my tablet and I don't want to accidentally drop my phone) means I'm using 130+ watts just to chat with friends. It turns out proper online gaming on a Nintendo console is more wasteful than on the other two machines which is just silly lol.

Zero²

I donno. For me I'm worried because there was another online shooter that was really kid friendly, had an awesome online system, was super fun and just really unique. I played its online maybe twice because not having a way to communicate with who I was playing with got boring. That game's name? Kid Icarus Uprising. I'm afraid this is gonna be the same situation. Game that looks great and is great, but gets boring because the lack of communication gives it an unintended skill cap.
Well I dont think comparing KI:U to Splatoon is fair, specially since online is way better designed in Splatoon than Kid Icarus, its a multiplayer focused game vs a single player focused one. It's like comparing orange to apples.

Zee-Row

Banned
I can't support this game until nintendo decides to change. They are hair pulling frustrating with all the crap they pull with online.

Stoze

I realize that, and it's a poor line of thinking deserving of criticism.

I don't see how putting optional voice chat in, even if it's turned off by default, is not something that is a positive addition to the game.

Zukuu

Banned
Even bare bone emote system ala Hearthstone is already rage inducing. Open chat just leads to toxicity as it can be seen in just about every moba. I can see why they would disable it altogether.

Uhyve

Maybe I'm being stupid here but I don't really see the point in an online game without some form of chat. I mean, if they worked on AI instead of netcode, the result would be functionally very similar, except bots wouldn't require you to have an internet connection. I suppose you could argue that the knowledge that you're playing against a human is important, but I dunno, it just dulls the hype alittle.

I never use voice chat outside CSGO and would just mute everyone else in other games except maybe Monster Hunter. I just don't want to deal with annoying little kids or people who uses voice masking

I realize that, and it's a poor line of thinking deserving of criticism.

I don't see how putting optional voice chat in, even if it's turned off by default, is not something that is a positive addition to the game.

It opens up an avenue for abusive behavior and diverts development resources from the rest of the game.

There is no OS-level party chat system on the Wii U, so dem's da breaks.

Most FPS games I play over multiplayer I chat over skype anyhow, because most of the in-game voice chat quality I've encountered is shit.

voice chat in a multiplayer game in 2015 is a MUST. go take that L Splatoon devs. what bullshit spin.
EDIT: smh at people in this thread making excuses for the lack of voice chat.
pdUDJxo.gif

Zero²

For practical purposes it doesn't seem that important, yes. And it's not like the game was designed with voice chat in mind.

But you have to acknowledge it's more fun to actually talk with at least the friends you're playing with. I can understand not liking the general tone of most public servers, but I still like my friends.
I agree, but maybe they thought it was better off and tried to make something that could be played completely without it?
Splatoon is hardly a normal tps as it is, so I can't blame them for trying, even if it doesn't pay off at the end.

Top Bottom