• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know who should be king of Westeros. The best damn squire in the land Podrick Payne
Brienne-Profile-HD.png
He's not a fucking squire!

Venture

So I went back to watch the pertinent part of the episode (The Wolf and the Lion) and yes, there's a couple important points. Viserys is still alive, and Robert most definitely is the one who demands the assassination of Dany. Ned is so angry w/ Robert that he quits being the Hand. Varys definitely could not have directly refused the request to attempt the assassination without also being fired or worse.

Additionally, it's this episode where Varys is shown to have other interests. He meets with Illyrio (who would have already been shown supporting the Targaryen kids) in King's Landing, and Littlefinger calls him out on it, putting his loyalty to Robert into question.

So there's some precedent that Varys wasn't working wholeheartedly to Robert. However, given how Varys has been portrayed as an ambiguously motivated person, I can see how some could view it as a retcon. In fact, Illyrio was practically erased from my memory after S1, so his collusion w/ Varys is difficult to remember, and I only really understand the implications of their meeting now, 4 years later, heh.
That's pretty nifty; I do remember that scene.

Varys makes kind of sense. He is always allegedly concerned about 7 kingdoms as a whole and feels like Dany is a good candidate. But maybe its the mystique of mother of dragons that is getting to him because if anything he should be making moves to situate Margaery in THE power position. Margaery is so much more politically savvy than Dany can ever hope to be. She is kind to the weakest of her citizens and simultaneously understands the payoff of this kindness both morally and politically. She knows how to charm and seduce, when the circumstances call for it. She aspires for greatness and knows how to make her dream a reality with all the tools available to her. The only things Dany has over her is fire resistant skin and three dragons. That's it. Everything else Margaery is just so much better at.
I kind of agree about Margaery, but there's still Cersei to contend with. And of course Varys had his hand forced when Tyrion killed Tywin, Daenerys is all he has left now.

Damn, I need to sleep. I have to work in a few hours.

So like, are we ever going to see Gendry again at this point? Been out at sea for an entire season now.

Rhetorical question of course but it feels like so long since we've seen him. Surely he has more of a part to play.

Kind of boring first episode. Felt more like something I'd expect out of something in the middle of the season. Maybe it is just the fact that it comes on the heels of last seasons fantastic final episode.

Still lots to look forward to. Really interested to see how Dany reacts to Varys, the man who was spying on her and sent Jorah to spy on her and presumably his information lead the attempts on her life. Ser Barristan presumably knows what Varys did in Kings Landing. Should be interesting.

Curious to see what Stannis' next move is especially if he can't convince the free folk to join his army, which he claims he would need to take back the North from the Bolton's.

Super excited for next week.

With Varys and Littlefinger doing almost the same things, do yall think they are working together towards an ultimate goal, or they will eventually clash?

Kind of boring first episode. Felt more like something I'd expect out of something in the middle of the season. Maybe it is just the fact that it comes on the heels of last seasons fantastic final episode.

Still lots to look forward to. Really interested to see how Dany reacts to Varys, the man who was spying on her and sent Jorah to spy on her and presumably his information lead the attempts on her life. Ser Barristan presumably knows what Varys did in Kings Landing. Should be interesting.

Curious to see what Stannis' next move is especially if he can't convince the free folk to join his army, which he claims he would need to take back the North from the Bolton's.

Super excited for next week.

It has to set up a lot of new situations and circumstances, so an exposition heavy-episode was kinda expected.

We had to jump through a few hoops to watch this ep as my brother's cable box decided to lose power about 2 seconds before the main titles where going to start (fuck you, Foxtel). We ended up watching the Foxtel Go streaming version in SD on my brother's PC while we waited for his cable box to reboot itself. By the time it eventually restarted we just said 'fuck it' and kept watching in his cramped home office.

I don't know if it was the smaller screen or what or did the stones on Charles Dance's eyes look even sillier than they did on Joffrey?

Were Varys and Tyrion in the same villa as Dany was in Season One (With that guy from later seasons of Thick of It and Speed Racer)?

Lamel

Banned
Great set up episode. Shit is gonna go down this season.

Also this was beautifully shot. The quality of this show rivals movies, it's pretty incredible.

besada

Banned
Has Stannis done anything as cruel as everything Dany's done to the masters? Crucifying and burning them even if they had been rebels? I feel like she never listens to anyone either, whereas Stannis at least seeks out council if he has to do something nasty. He came to Davos about Gendry, asked Jon what to do with Mance, et cetera. He has genuine concern. Dany is just a spirited bitch with little care for consequences.
You mean other than spawning shadow babies in Melisandre's poisoned womb to assassinate his own brother, chopping off the Onion Knight's fingers after he saved their lives, and burning his own bannermen on the say so of a fire witch?

Dany IS cruel to her enemies. Stannis is cruel to his friends, family, and bannermen.

What was the guy in robes trying to tell Cercei? He mentioned something about the boar killing him and him being sorry for something but I must have misheard him. Was he trying to confess it wasn't a boar or something?

You mean other than spawning shadow babies in Melisandre's poisoned womb to assassinate his own brother, chopping off the Onion Knight's fingers after he saved their lives, and burning his own bannermen on the say so of a fire witch?

Dany IS cruel to her enemies. Stannis is cruel to his friends, family, and bannermen.

I'm probably turning a blind eye because of how noble I see him and how much Emilia Clarke irks me.

What was the guy in robes trying to tell Cercei? He mentioned something about the boar killing him and him being sorry for something but I must have misheard him. Was he trying to confess it wasn't a boar or something?

That was Lancel. He used to have long hair, fuck Cersei, and pour Robert's wine. He was apologizing for getting Rob drunk enough to get killed by the boar.

Xamdou

Nicely put! Dany's cruelty is at least directed at the proper place.

He was the cousin lannister that got Robert Baratheon killed I think, but Cersei dismissed it even though she said she did not know about it?

besada

Banned
I'm probably turning a blind eye because of how noble I see him and how much Emilia Clarke irks me.
Don't get me wrong, I actually like Stannis, but he's a realpolitik kind of guy. He appears to be willing to do just about anything to put himself on the throne. But, unlike Dany, he at least thinks things through and follows up on the stuff he does. She just freaks out, smashes entire cultures, then wanders off and assumes everything will be okay.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Stannis, but he's a realpolitik kind of guy. He appears to be willing to do just about anything to put himself on the throne. But, unlike Dany, he at least thinks things through and follows up on the stuff he does. She just freaks out, smashes entire cultures, then wanders off and assumes everything will be okay.

Yeah, that's a good way to put it, and that still leaves me wondering what Varys sees in her.

Sober

Yeah, that's a good way to put it, and that still leaves me wondering what Varys sees in her.
Varys is the opposite of Stannis in some ways. He said he was fed up with it being the powerful abusing the powerless. Stannis doesn't really care, though he's probably the most competent at the job.

I guess Varys knows something we don't if he wants to put a young, idealistic girl on the throne at a time like this. I'm sure he knows about the White Walkers. Don't think anyone but Stannis really cares about it right now. Although he's not exactly putting his bid on hold either, I guess.

Xamdou

Didn't Stannis heed to the call from the Night's Watch that the White Walkers are coming? So he has no plans to fight em at all?

I just want to thank the mods and posters here again for the awesome spoilers rules for this thread. This (sadly) is my only safe haven on the internet from spoilers right now. Even comments on facebook/youtube are filling up with dicks trying to ruin it for people. I'm watching the first episode tomorrow :D

Decent enough setup episode. This show is so big that we need to catchup with mostly everyone to see what they've been up to in the meantime. All the differnet plans and current situations need scene to remind us and then the ball can get rolling.

The oddest thing tonight however, was the cut between the talk about the fighting pits and then seeing Dany in bed. That's the sloppiest scene transition that I can remember. I don't know if a scene is missing or what there.

And I continue to love Melisandre. "Are you a virgin? No. Good." She's so lovely.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi

Don't forget locking his only child in a dark cold tower because he was ashamed of her "problem". Or cheating on his wife...

Heart of gold that one. Not like that mean 'ol Dragon lady!

Wreav

Banned
I don't get folks' love for Stannis. Dude is a cuckold to a smoke monster, has the weakest plotline of all claimants to the throne, and looks like a washed up old biscuit.

Xamdou

Don't forget locking his only child in a dark cold tower because he was ashamed of her "problem". Or cheating on his wife...

Heart of gold that one. Not like that mean 'ol Dragon lady!

Stannis also cut the fingers of his best friend Ser Davos who once saved his life and continues be at his side despite Melisandre's influence on Stannis.

Pretty sure Melisadre will want only her religion reigning supreme and will care not of others, pretty sure she will try to convert the Wildlings as well.

I don't get folks' love for Stannis. Dude is a cuckold to a smoke monster, has the weakest plotline of all claimants to the throne, and looks like a washed up old biscuit.

The only thing I ever like about Stannis was that he rolled up to the wall with a fucking army giving 0 fucks.

I think many like him for being sort of an old fashioned one directional character compared to many of the others on the show. He stern, stubborn, and hard-headed

Before I forget, you're telling me that after all this time, I needed a recap of King Rob Baratheon's death to see that half the cause of his death was something in his wine?

Stannis also cut the fingers of his best friend Ser Davos who once saved his life and continues be at his side despite Melisandre's influence on Stannis.

Pretty sure Melisadre will want only her religion reigning supreme and will care not of others, pretty sure she will try to convert the Wildlings as well.

You say this like Melisandre has no reason to want her religion to reign supreme. There's lots of evidence in the show of the Lord of Light's power.

One thing I'm confused with though regarding Varys, wasn't he involved with trying to poison Dany in season 1?

This is my main question I asked a page ago. If working in any way for the king against Daenerys was enough to get Jorah booted, I really can't see her taking in Vary's when he had just as much to do if not more (controlling the actual spies, part of the actual council). If he is let in Daenerys "council", it's really going to make her overreaction about Jorah's pardon look way overblown and unnecessary . I do agree she should have Jorah punished somehow and I just hope we see this brought up in someway when her and Varys meet.

You say this like Melisandre has no reason to want her religion to reign supreme. There's lots of evidence in the show of the Lord of Light's power.

Other than the smoke demon shadow baby, what other conclusive evidence of the Lord of Light's power is there?

Not trying to argue your point, I just don't recall there being anything that proved as such.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, who wants to take a guess at S05E01 viewer count?

I see the reason why, but it's dark and sinister.

Hmm, only if you're a nonbeliever, and there's no reason to be.

Other than the smoke demon shadow baby, what other conclusive evidence of the Lord of Light's power is there?

Not trying to argue your point, I just don't recall there being anything that proved as such.

That alone would be enough, but there's also the consecutive resurrections of Beric Dondarrion. edit: beaten

What Sober said. There was also the thing with the leeches where Stannis burned them and said the names of Robb, Joffrey and Balon. Two out of the three are no longer among the living so, take that for what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom