• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If HBO really really really wanted more seasons, why couldn't they change the showrunners? Perhaps they had a contractual obligation to use D&D.

I was watching a couple of clips of the battle at Hardhome on Youtube, and was reminded how cool the 1v1 battle with Jon and the WW was. I wish we could have had a few more of those at Winterfell.

mwGN3Q7.jpg

*record scratch*
*freeze frame*
Yep, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got here...

Kadayi

Banned

Been watching the documentary about the making of Season 8 , and regardless of where you may personally stand on the show or season as a whole I really recommend it just to get an idea of the juggernaut nature of the show in terms of the sheer amount of work that goes on behind the scenes in terms of the production. Pretty fascinating stuff.

I'm confused by this season and the show ending. After season seven they mentioned two seasons, then they said they had crammed it all into season eight. If that's the case? Where the fuck is the content?

The build up in season 7 was amazing and IMO the best season.

The battle with the night king was cliché and boring as fuck. Blondie can wreck kings landing that has trebuchets, but the knight king cant wreck a smelly old castle?

Why did Cersei did in such a pathetic way? After everything that had happened, she died cause she stood under falling rocks.

The imp wouldn't have turned on the spider like that.

Arya's cool moment was a wet blanket.

Too many slow motion pauses and minutes on end with nothing happening.

It ended like 10 times before the credits rolled.

Not a deserved ending for a show like this. Very poor.

If the book ends differently and better than this, then they need to remake the season tbh.

Jon Neu

Banned

Been watching the documentary about the making of Season 8 , and regardless of where you may personally stand on the show or season as a whole I really recommend it just to get an idea of the juggernaut nature of the show in terms of the sheer amount of work that goes on behind the scenes in terms of the production. Pretty fascinating stuff.

I loved when the actor who portrays Varys throws the script visibly annoyed and one of the directors (the bad one) looks at him with concern.

Last edited:
This is an unfortunate situation where I feel like everyone working on the show EXCEPT the writers absolutely rocked it.

Like the people in charge of sets, cinematography, costume design, CGI, music (oh my god the music), as well as the actors themselves completely outdid themselves...but they were all overshadowed by having to work with what the writers gave them, and the writers just wanted to rush so they could go work on Star Wars.

Geki-D

Banned
mwGN3Q7.jpg

*record scratch*
*freeze frame*
Yep, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got here...
I like how this White Walker is all like:

-"Yeah bitch, I'mma fuckin' badass"
*Jon blocks his sword*
"Ah fuck, I gotta actually fight now? I have no idea what I'm doing"
*Dies instantly*

Maybe that's why the WWs didn't enter Winterfell till the end; because they don't actually know how to fight for shit. Is there actually a single WW that didn't go down like a total bitch throughout the whole series?

Last edited:

KonradLaw

I wonder if there will ever be a show like this when it comes to cultural impact. Seems only HBO has a chance of repeating this, since they have both the reach and they don't se the Netflix model that kills the hype.

Also I've been thining...GoT was something special, even if it went a bit off the rails at the end. Not just in budget/popularity, but also in scale of storytelling. Other shows are written season by season. There's no way a regular show will ever pull off something like Jon's true identity or Dany's vision....ie..plant storytelling seeds where the harvest will happen in 6-7 years. TV creators don't have the patientce for it and it's not surprising, since renewals are never sure thing. At this point pretty much the only way to achieve something like this is to adapt some fantasy series that's already finished. I'm hoping the prequel series will be good, but there's no way it will attept something like this.

Last edited:
Two things I have learned this last week:

How many people disliked Breaking Bad's ending (I thought it was great, personally. Not sure how else it would have ended.) as I see it being compared a lot as far as disappointment to S8

and

How many people dislike S2 of GoT.

Maybe it is because I didn't start watching the show until S6 but I just didn't know so many people disliked S2. I loved the first four seasons immensely.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wonder if there will ever be a show like this when it comes to cultural impact. Seems only HBO has a chance of repeating this, since they have both the reach and they don't se the Netflix model that kills the hype.

Also I've been thining...GoT was something special, even if it went a bit off the rails at the end. Not just in budget/popularity, but also in scale of storytelling. Other shows are written season by season. There's no way a regular show will ever pull off something like Jon's true identity or Dany's vision....ie..plant storytelling seeds where the harvest will happen in 6-7 years. TV creators don't have the patientce for it and it's not surprising, since renewals are never sure thing. At this point pretty much the only way to achieve something like this is to adapt some fantasy series that's already finished. I'm hoping the prequel series will be good, but there's no way it will attept something like this.
Babylon 5 did it 20 years ago.

KonradLaw

Babylon 5 did it 20 years ago.
No, it didn't. The payoffs came two years at most after foreshadowing. Babylon 5 showed why it's so hard to pull off actually. There's so much uncertaininity in tv business they rushed everything in S4 because they didn't think they would get S5 and they when they got it they didn't know what to do with it.

Don't get me wrong. B5 is still incredible achievement and the most epic tv series in history (IMO at least), but even it couldn't afford to wait for payoffs as long as GoT did. And if even a crazy-man project like Babylon 5 couldn't, nothing writen specifically for TV likelly ever will.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

No, it didn't. The payoffs came two years at most after foreshadowing. Babylon 5 showed why it's so hard to pull off actually. There's so much uncertaininity in tv business they rushed everything in S4 because they didn't think they would get S5 and they when they got it they didn't know what to do with it.

Don't get me wrong. B5 is still incredible achievement and the most epic tv series in history (IMO at least), but even it couldn't afford to wait for payoffs as long as GoT did. And if even a crazy-man project like Babylon 5 couldn't, nothing writen specifically for TV likelly ever will.
What about Deep Space 9? They built up the Dominion War well. >.>

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Maybe it is because I didn't start watching the show until S6 but I just didn't know so many people disliked S2. I loved the first four seasons immensely.
I liked season 2 overall, but for me it was the first hint of how the show needed to cut things and change stories and characters around because it an't work the same way as the books. Dany's weird adventures in Qarth just seemed...off.

I'm gonna start watching a game of thrones.

Back when it first came out I thought it was some sorry ass fairy tale show with magic and dragons. I enjoy shows like breaking bad and better call Saul.

But I'm upset over missing out on all this hype. So I'm gonna give it another shot to see if I see it differently.

Gonna crack open a couple and watch the whole series starting tomorrow with a friend who's already up to date.

Tesseract

Banned

what, babylon 5 did it 20 years and it did it better, that it didn't happen over the span of a few more years matters little

and b5 was a shoestring budget with ridiculous production issues, but it still dumps all over got

Tesseract

Banned

Back when it first came out I thought it was some sorry ass fairy tale show with magic and dragons. I enjoy shows like breaking bad and better call Saul.

But I'm upset over missing out on all this hype. So I'm gonna give it another shot to see if I see it differently.

Gonna crack open a couple and watch the whole series starting tomorrow with a friend who's already up to date.

it's pretty good, peaks at s06 imo, although the quality of dialogue takes a noticeable dive after s04

Kenpachii

If HBO really really really wanted more seasons, why couldn't they change the showrunners? Perhaps they had a contractual obligation to use D&D.

Probably actor contracts and side projects for other actors which makes them have to wrap it up or reboot the series.

Also lets be honest, they didn't had much content also with it. Season 8 first two episodes honestly nothing happened like at all. I wouldn't know what they could have done with another season tho other then park the story again which they already did before and just slow everything down to a halt.

U gotta force yourself through season 1 tho, After that season two and season three stuff is getting better and better, season 4 is the absolute peak of the show, after that it drags no with some good episodes here and there until season 7 everything starts to go into high speed mode which gets slowed down massively in season 8 at the start again, but goes into lightning speed pretty soon after it again all the way to the end.

It's a enjoyable show and probably one of the best shows around currently.

The main reason for this is that everything and everybody feels they can fit into that world and aren't picked to fit a certain agenda.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
First few seasons. Fans Bitch about no action.
Last few seasons fans bitch about no dialogue.

I think Season 1 was great. I liked the first few episodes of Season 8. I wish they did season 8 ending at Winterfell and then maybe did another few after for season 9.

meh sad it is over and this type of show will probably never be seen again.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
“We watched [Lost] every week trying to figure it out, and as it got deeper and deeper I kept saying, ‘They better have something good in mind for the end. This better pay off here.’ And then I felt so cheated when we got to the conclusion.” Martin also cites the Lost ending as the type of mistake he fears making with his own show, saying, “I want to give them something terrific. What if I f— it up at the end? What if I do a Lost? Then they’ll come after me with pitchforks and torches.”

I have to call out Martin on his sheer hipocrisy here. He slamed Lost to the ground while he is now singing the good deeds of those D&D hacks; he hasn't come out yet to critizice the absolute shitshow the last 2 seasons have been. At least Lost never lost track of it's characters, while GoT utterly destroyed both it's world building/lore/foreshadowing/build ups, but also it's characters.

Ironically, Lost answered so much more questions than GoT.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
“We watched [Lost] every week trying to figure it out, and as it got deeper and deeper I kept saying, ‘They better have something good in mind for the end. This better pay off here.’ And then I felt so cheated when we got to the conclusion.” Martin also cites the Lost ending as the type of mistake he fears making with his own show, saying, “I want to give them something terrific. What if I f— it up at the end? What if I do a Lost? Then they’ll come after me with pitchforks and torches.”

I have to call out Martin on his sheer hipocrisy here. He slamed Lost to the ground while he is now singing the good deeds of those D&D hacks; he hasn't come out yet to critizice the absolute shitshow the last 2 seasons have been. At least Lost never lost track of it's characters, while GoT utterly destroyed both it's world building/lore/foreshadowing/build ups, but also it's characters.

He's a producer on the show and it made him one of the biggest writers in the world. He's not going to talk shit.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

How much of that was in Martin's power to change, anyway? Whenever he gets asked why didn't GoT go on for more seasons, his answer is always "Go ask David and Dan. I wanted more. HBO wanted more. They didn't."

This is an interesting quote:

Garcia: Well, actually I stopped watching the show at the end of the fifth season. Up until the fourth season, the show producers would send George an outline of what they planned to do and ask him for his comments. But over time George became less involved in the process, and that really raised questions in my mind about whether they were capable of sticking the landing. That was part of the reason I stopped watching the show.

Also:

ecdfe20voy031.jpg

dopey

There's no way a regular show will ever pull off something like Jon's true identity or Dany's vision....ie..plant storytelling seeds where the harvest will happen in 6-7 years. TV creators don't have the patientce for it and it's not surprising,
They were adapting existing books with compelling characters and storylines, when they no longer had the books as material, the show went downhill fast.

As for the cultural impact, Twin Peaks and Lost come directly to mind.

Kadayi

Banned

If only that was all he said. Oh no wait. : -

The last night, the last show. After eight epic seasons, HBO’s GAME OF THRONES series has come to an end.

It is hard to believe it is over, if truth be told. The years have gone past in the blink of an eye. Can it really have been more than a decade since my manager Vince Gerardis set up a meeting at the Palm in LA, and I sat down for the first time with David Benioff and D.B. Weiss for a lunch that lasted well past dinner? I asked them if they knew who Jon Snow’s mother was. Fortunately, they did.

That was how it started. It ended last night.

I had no clue, that afternoon at the Palm, that I was about to embark on a journey that would change my life. I had optioned books and stories for television and film before. Some had even been made There was no way to know that this one was going to be different, that this pilot would not only be shot, but would go on to become the most successful show in the history of HBO, win a record number of Emmy Awards, become the most popular (and most pirated) show in the world, and transform a group of talented but largely unknown actors into major celebrities and stars. Even less did I imagine that I would somehow become a celebrity as well… and if truth be told, I’m still not sure how that happened.

It has been a wild ride, to say the least.

I want to thank people, but there are so many. There were forty-two cast members at the season eight premiere in New York City, and that wasn’t even all of them. And the crew, though less visible than the cast, were no less important. We had some amazing people working on this show, as all those Emmys bear witness. David & Dan assembled a championship team. The directors were incredible as well. I should start naming names, but then I’d miss someone, there were so many. But I do need to mention David Benioff, Dan Weiss, Bryan Cogman (the third head of the dragon, as I said in the recent VANITY FAIR piece about him), and of course the great team at HBO, headed by Richard Plepler. Any other network, and GAME OF THRONES would not have been what it became. Most other networks, this series never gets made at all.

I could go on and on… and have, as I’ve been writing this post in my head… but there’s really too much to say. Parting is such sweet sorrow, the Bard wrote. In the weeks and months to come, I may post about some of my favorite moments from the making of this show… now and again, when I am feeling nostalgic… but just now, there are so many memories, and no time to do them all justice.

Let me say this much — last night was an ending, but it was also a beginning. Nobody is retiring any time soon. David and Dan are going on to STAR WARS and other projects beyond that. Amazon scooped up Bryan Cogman, and put him to work on developing shows of his own, as well as helping out on their big Tolkien project. Our brilliant cast has scattered to the four winds, but you’ll be seeing a lot of them in the years to come, in all manner of television shows and movies. Our directors are keeping busy as well. I suspect that you have not seen the last of Westeros on your television sets either, but I guess that all depends on how some of these successor shows turn out.

And me? I’m still here, and I’m still busy. As a producer, I’ve got five shows in development at HBO (some having nothing whatsoever to do with the world of Westeros), two at Hulu, one on the History Channel. I’m involved with a number of feature projects, some based upon my own stories and books, some on material created by others. There are these short films I am hoping to make, adaptations of classic stories by one of the most brilliant, quirky, and original writers our genre has ever produced. I’ve consulted on a video game out of Japan. And then there’s Meow Wolf…

And I’m writing. Winter is coming, I told you, long ago… and so it is. THE WINDS OF WINTER is very late, I know, I know, but it will be done. I won’t say when, I’ve tried that before, only to burn you all and jinx myself… but I will finish it, and then will come A DREAM OF SPRING.

How will it all end? I hear people asking. The same ending as the show? Different?

Well… yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes.

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget. They had six hours for this final season. I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them. And of course the butterfly effect will be at work as well; those of you who follow this Not A Blog will know that I’ve been talking about that since season one. There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books… so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet. And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort…

Book or show, which will be the “real” ending? It’s a silly question. How many children did Scarlett O’Hara have?

How about this? I’ll write it. You read it. Then everyone can make up their own mind, and argue about it on the internet.

deadpool-what-the-shit-gif-5.gif

Look at that, way more to say about the show than that post implied. 🤔

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If only that was all he said. Oh no wait. : -

deadpool-what-the-shit-gif-5.gif

Look at that, way more to say about the show than that post implied. 🤔
Um, okay. Did any of the rest of that touch on the plot or the character interaction?

No?

Key point too:

How will it all end? I hear people asking. The same ending as the show? Different?

Well… yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes.

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget. They had six hours for this final season. I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them. And of course the butterfly effect will be at work as well; those of you who follow this Not A Blog will know that I’ve been talking about that since season one. There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books… so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet. And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort…

Book or show, which will be the “real” ending? It’s a silly question. How many children did Scarlett O’Hara have?

How about this? I’ll write it. You read it. Then everyone can make up their own mind, and argue about it on the internet.

Glowing praise.

I saw the first 4 episodes of GOT S1 today and liked it. It was pretty comfy and I *dropped* my jaw once during the first 4 episodes. It was nice getting to know the characters. Ned Stark is a great man surrounded by shit and shitty circumstances.

Kadayi

Banned
Um, okay. Did any of the rest of that touch on the plot or the character interaction?

keep_reaching_for_that_rainbow_t_shirt-rd6658ad24c6e4c2bba8ea6ea4fbbf49f_k21al_307.jpg

Honestly, your dogged shitting on the show is kind of pathological at this juncture (quit camping out at R/Freefolk). It's been over a week and a bit now and you're still banging on about it. Move on already (everyone else has). It unhinged petition signing types like you that put the likes of Kit Harrington into therapy tbh. The show didn't live up to your expectations. Deal with it. If you're lucky GRRM might pull his finger out and release TWOW and we can marvel at Stannis and everyone else getting nowhere in the snow for 1000 pages whilst reading about all the various horse, dog & cat dishes they end up eating. 🙄

Shai-Tan

Banned
Two things I have learned this last week:

How many people disliked Breaking Bad's ending (I thought it was great, personally. Not sure how else it would have ended.) as I see it being compared a lot as far as disappointment to S8

and

This article suggests fans liked the last season (and presumably episode) of Breaking Bad

and disliked bad seasons on shows that ran out of steam like Dexter and True Blood. Lost maybe stands out as one that people hate that still got good-ish ratings all the way through but the flaws in that show were evident in like season 2

edit: just wanted to say that I thought some of the episodes this season were pretty well made for tv. i liked the second to last episode playing out like dragon cloverfield. maybe it would be more evident their writing is bad after getting ahead of martin if they did try to fill in more of the story but several of those episodes would probably have been well received if they were placed in a less compressed season or two; so fans are reacting as much to what's there as what's not there

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
That isn't saying much lol.
And tbh, "magic" is the most bullshit answer possible.

The most bullshit answer ever is having your characters say: stop asking questions, it will only lead you to more questions and frustration.

Which is the point of that Tyrion and Davos conversation about the Lord of Light, to tell the audience to "move on" about the entire premise of the series because they aren't going to reveal shit because they are lazy and don't really care.

MoFuzz

The most bullshit answer ever is having your characters say: stop asking questions, it will only lead you to more questions and frustration.

Which is the point of that Tyrion and Davos conversation about the Lord of Light, to tell the audience to "move on" about the entire premise of the series because they aren't going to reveal shit because they are lazy and don't really care.
Agreed, it reminded me of that scene in the diner from Looper where
Bruce Willis' character explains to his younger self (Joseph Gordon Levitt) to stop thinking so hard about the logistics of time travel, because "it doesn't matter", and then proceeds to pound his fists into the table, in an attempt to drive the point home, since the writer didn't actually have a point to make.

Looper was of course written and directed by film making legend Ruin Johnson, who then went on to light speed torpedo the entire Star Wars canon and franchise with The Last Jedi. Strangely enough, both D&D and RJ employed the same hacky dialogue to try and cover up anyone trying to think about it. Just shut your mouth and drink it up peasants, no thought process allowed!

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The greatest troll ever is if Martin finishes his books and reveals that he lied about the ending to D&D.

He would be the absolute Mad Man.

Geki-D

Banned

To be fair, though, in universe these guys know all about this religion stuff so explaining it to one another would be odd. Though why characters aren't a little bit more interested in proof a God existing by way of it's priesthood performing literal miracles is a bit baffling. You'd think people coming back to life, armies bearing flaming swords and shadow assassins would have everyone siding with Stannis. It's also really odd how little of a role religion plays in the series. It seems like 90% of the characters are atheists. Pretty odd considering the setting.

Also I just realised; why the fuck didn't Melisandre ever give Stannis' army flaming swords to fight with?!

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
He might get sued depending on the contracts involved. He could just say he changed his mind about it over time.
Would you really care if you were as old as him though? His estate would get sued of course which he might not want, and it isn't likely he lied. Like you said he could say he changed his mind, which after a decade might even be somewhat true for certain plot points. I've actually been slightly worried about the show and fan influence (like the asoiaf lore wiki owners he communicates with) causing him to change plot beats he already had decided on.

Top Bottom