• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: Age of Ultron vs The Force Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

No shit, right?

But this box-office horserace has become such a vital component to the marketing, that switching back to the more accurate tickets sold method not only wipes that whole avenue out, but it highlights just how many FEWER tickets are being sold to movies now than decades previous, and the industry doesn't want people to notice the steady decline in theater attendance.

Tickets sold isn't really a fair metric either though. In 1950, if you wanted to see a movie, you had to go to the cinema. If a movie was huge, you could bet on several re-releases in the coming years/months. Neither is true now.

As for foreign grosses, I imagine that attendance is increasing in developing markets and decreasing in Europe and Australia (same as North America).

Avengers will best Star Wars worldwide by 350mi with a 25mi margin of error.

Avengers ceiling will be 1.8bi of which 700-750mi domestic.

Tickets sold isn't really a fair metric either though. In 1950, if you wanted to see a movie, you had to go to the cinema. If a movie was huge, you could bet on several re-releases in the coming years/months. Neither is true now.
Let me ask you a very simple question : How does USA measure tv ratings ?

They add the value of the ads ? It sounds dumb right ?

Cable subscriptions value ? It sounds dumb right ?

Or audience ?

The decline of tickets sold naturally is because of the advent of many other forms of entertainment. That's....life.

Adding dollars from china , russia , comparing each year , comparing movies with 3d vs without 3d , with rereleases vs 1 single run , animated movies with matinees vs normal movies....it doesn't make sense from an arithmetical point of view.

Armadilo

Banned
I haven't been in the theaters since Avatar that's 6 years and that movie made me stop going to the cinema just horrible but Star Wars is why it's bringing me back and I don't think I'm the only one

kswiston

Let me ask you a very simple question : How does USA measure tv ratings ?

They add the value of the ads ? It sounds dumb right ?

Cable subscriptions value ? It sounds dumb right ?

Or audience ?

The decline of tickets sold naturally is because of the advent of many other forms of entertainment. That's....life.

Adding dollars from china , russia , comparing each year , comparing movies with 3d vs without 3d , with rereleases vs 1 single run , animated movies with matinees vs normal movies....it doesn't make sense from an arithmetical point of view.

Movies are measured by box office gross because that's the reporting metric used by plays, concerts, etc. Movies branched out of live performances originally.

Movies are measured by box office gross because that's the reporting metric used by plays, concerts, etc. Movies branched out of live performances originally.

Whatever reason it is (i believe that might be it) , doesn't make it less wrong. Especially when you start to compare it.

Here all concerts are reported by tickets sold. And the boxoffice has gross and tickets. Which allows for some very interesting comparisons (same gross vs tickets for a normal movies vs 3d movie vs kids movie...people wouldn't believe how huge the difference is)

kswiston

What are the odds that Age of Ultron nabs a 250+ opening weekend domestically?

Negligible

The opening weekend attendance record has changed little since Spider-man 1 in 2002. Spider-man's opening weekend adjusts to $160M in 2014 prices. Spider-man 3 and the Dark Knight both adjust to around $180M. It's debatable whether the Avengers actually sold more tickets weekend 1 than those two due to 3D premiums. So basically we have seen actual ticket sales records go up all of 12% in that timeframe. Avengers 2 would have to top that by another 20% to hit $250M. ticket prices have barely gone up these past 2 years.

Jigorath

Banned
I haven't been in the theaters since Avatar that's 6 years and that movie made me stop going to the cinema just horrible but Star Wars is why it's bringing me back and I don't think I'm the only one

Avatar made you stop going to the movies for 6 years? Yeah I think you might be the only one on that one.

3N16MA

Banned

You let one film dictate your theater experience over the last 6 years? What does Avatar being horrible have to do with any other film?

pestul

I think AoU will make more money WW, and TFA will beat it slightly in domestic (but close). I think both movies will be equally awesome. I would definitely go see TFA before AoU if given the chance. I don't think any film will come close to challenging either at the boxoffice domestically or WW.

for the next starwars/avengers when you add spider man into the mix and maybe thanos i don't think you can topple Marvel in the future at all - it's a god.

Caode

Opening Weekend:

Avengers

Worldwide

Star Wars

It's tough to call but Star Wars has such an open space in front of it for weeks with no real competition.

guek

Banned
Opening Weekend:

Avengers

Worldwide

Star Wars

It's tough to call but Star Wars has such an open space in front of it for weeks with no real competition.
This is the main reason I'm leaning SW. I think it'll be relatively close no matter what though.

Place your bets on DIS I guess, yo.

eruNyNr.jpg

eLHIdvp.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Disney is going to need to build a Scrooge McDuck vault for all the money they will make this year.

Sorcerer

Its going to be quite a year for Disney, having the Number 1 and Number 2 movies in the same year.

I wonder why they didn't push Star Wars a few weeks into January so they could have the top movies of 2015 and 2016?

Unless Disney feels Rogue Leader will be on top for 2016.

BLACKLAC

Its going to be quite a year for Disney, having the Number 1 and Number 2 movies in the same year.

I wonder why they didn't push Star Wars a few weeks into January so they could have the top movies of 2015 and 2016?

Unless Disney feels Rogue Leader will be on top for 2016.

They also have Civil War 2016.

Honestly I have a hard time not seeing them have #1 & #2 grossing films, back to back years.

Age of Ultron will make more money.
Age of Ultron will be the better film.

It's going to be close though and will push each to #1 and #4 of the most grossing franchises respectively. Disney eating good this year.

full

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Cant be the only one that thinks avengers 2 looks fucking terrible and the first was barely passable.

I hope star wars makes more

Multi-Quote This Message Quote
Place your bets: Age of Ultron vs The Force Awakens #1
Which movie do you think will make the most money?

Which movie do you think will be the better film?
I am putting my account to a bet

Star Wars The Force Awakens will be the better movie and rake in the most money INTERNATIONALLY than Avengers: Age of Ultron

If Age of Ultron makes more money INTERNATIONALLY and gets a better Tomato score.. then you can ban me

I think Star Wars will be both the better film and the bigger money maker.

Hell, if JJ pulls this off (as it seems he will), I could see this movie break top 3 all-time box office.

Never underestimate the power of Star Wars OT nostalgia.

Ithil

Worldwide, Age of Ultron. Superhero films are massive internationally and only growing.

Domestic remains to be seen, but they'll both crush the box office.

guek

Banned
I am putting my account to a bet

Star Wars The Force Awakens will be the better movie and rake in the most money INTERNATIONALLY than Avengers: Age of Ultron

If Age of Ultron makes more money INTERNATIONALLY and gets a better Tomato score.. then you can ban me
lol

Dude. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom