• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's annus horribilis continues

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

“Wish,” the studio’s newest animated adventure, was projected to land on top of box office charts over the Thanksgiving holiday. Instead, ticket sales fell short of expectations with a weak $19.5 million over the traditional weekend and $31.7 million over the five days, and the film tumbled to third place behind Lionsgate’s “The Hunger Games” prequel “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” and Ridley Scott’s historical epic “Napoleon.”

Heading into the weekend, the musical fable “Wish” was projected to earn $35 million over the traditional weekend and $45 million to $50 million in its first five days of release. Ticket sales weren’t as catastrophic as the studio’s 2022 flop “Strange World” ($12 million over the traditional weekend and $18 million through the five days), but it didn’t come anywhere close to 2021’s “Encanto,” which opened to $40.3 over its first five days when COVID was keeping families at home. And it’s a far, far cry from Disney’s pre-pandemic Thanksgiving releases, like 2019’s “Frozen II” ($123.7 million), 2018’s “Ralph Breaks the Internet” ($84.6 million) and 2017’s “Coco” ($71 million).

“Wish” also added $17.3 million at the international box office, opening in just 27 markets (about 40% of its eventual overseas footprint), bringing its global tally to $49 million. The film’s anemic initial turnout further illuminates that magic has been in short supply at Disney, a once untouchable force at the box office. Most of the studio’s 2023 slate, excluding “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” has dramatically underperformed in their theatrical runs. It’s a problem because Disney movies are expensive, usually costing around $200 million (and that’s before accounting for global marketing expenses).

---

This may become an even bigger flop for Disney than The Marvels. "Wish" had a $200 million production budget plus a sizable advertising budget and needs to make at least $500 million before before it even starts to make money from its theatrical release. But it made only $49 million in the US and overseas. Compare that to The Marvels, another BO disappointment, that at least made $110 million in its first weekend.
Yikes!

winjer

Gold Member
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

alienates families which have been their core market for decades
families don't show up to their movies

shocked pikachu face

their stupid pandering has a snowball effect on their merchandise as well, which is a huge revenue stream. Families not watching the movie are much less likely to buy the merchandise.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I honestly never even heard about it until now!

It's supposed to be a celebration of 100 years of Disney animation. It combines CGI with hand drawn animation and contains 100 references to previous Disney movies. Many critics hated it because Wish seems to be one Disney cliche after another.So what was supposed to be a celebration of everything Disney became yet another box office flop in a year with so many expensive Disney flops.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They're being hit by two boycotts. On one side are those mad that the movie is a woke fairy tale about a diverse main character trying to kill the white man god. On the other side are the woke fashion antisemites boycotting Disney because Iger sent money to Israel.
I'm not either one. The movie just looks extremely low production. I think maybe they were going for a storybook presentation that is maybe flat enough to easily translate into a stage production but the end product just looks halfassed. Over the Moon, a CG Netflix movie from 3 years ago looks 10x as impressive and quite frankly 10x more charming. Why would I pay out the ass for a theater ticket for this?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm not either one. The movie just looks extremely low production. I think maybe they were going for a storybook presentation that is maybe flat enough to easily translate into a stage production but the end product just looks halfassed. Over the Moon, a CG Netflix movie from 3 years ago looks 10x as impressive and quite frankly 10x more charming. Why would I pay out the ass for a theater ticket for this?

Over the Moon was made by the greatest American animator to ever live. Not exactly a fair comparison.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’m a huge Disney fan and I say good!
They need to fail and fail and fail until all the idiots are fired.

This movie has had crap written all over it. And you know it was going to be bad when the main commercial was showing the voice actor singing instead of showing what the movie is about.

Dice

Over the Moon was made by the greatest American animator to ever live. Not exactly a fair comparison.
Okay then let's use the immediate competition:

Which one you taking the kids to?

Last year we were watching Avatar 2.

Wish is a halfassed production for Disney.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How does this animated movie have a production budget of $200M + marketing costs on top of it?

These shitty Disney movies must have wink wink nudge nudge any cost green lit where everyone is making giant wages. Even the caterer must be making double what a sandwich tray costs. Lol

I looked at the cast and it’s not even a-list Hollywood stars doing the voiceovers either.

Where did all the budget go?

Last edited:

Dice

How does this animated movie have a production budget of $200M + marketing costs on top of it?

These shitty Disney movies must have wink wink nudge nudge any cost green lit where everyone is making giant wages. Even the caterer must be making double what a sandwich tray costs. Lol

I looked at the cast and it’s not even a-list Hollywood stars doing the voiceovers either.

Where did all the budget go?
That Trolls movie I posted above had a $95 million budget.

Mistake

I honestly never even heard about it until now!
Me either. Not sure who is doing the marketing, but they fucked up. Also, if a movie is good enough, it usually does its own marketing with the internet these days. I guess it must have been average at best

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I enjoyed Wish, but it had some fairly odd plot progression, both characters kinda felt like villains because of how the world itself is presented and makes you wonder if the whole thing was even necessary in the first place.

GloveSlap

This might be their most damning bomb so far. It's only a matter of time before the brand rot starts really affecting their last refuge, the parks.

Neon Xenon

If anything, it's been interesting watching this big media company just repeatedly swinging and missing with most of what's under their umbrella, even with some properties and names that you would (should) expect to perform well. But then, they've also been setting themselves up for these results from years back with the chickens coming home to roost.

The fact that 2023 is supposed to be Disney's Centennial makes this funnier to watch.

Same. I have zero interest in this. Is it really a boycott when you're choosing not to see a movie you're not interested in? I will say, it's amusing that the film has apparently thrown in a lot of Easter Eggs referencing past Disney films so it can remind you of times where you actually liked Disney.

This might be their most damning bomb so far. It's only a matter of time before the brand rot starts really affecting their last refuge, the parks.
The parks are starting to feel it.

They were planning an entire star wars park, but have pivoted now to a marvel park due to…well…you know.

Wonder if theyll rethink it as well based off how marvel has been doing for them.

I dont think thwy will personally. Regardless of shitty movies, those characters hold their brand and identity way more than star wars can.

Last edited:

LordCBH

I ended up seeing wish with family. Fucking abysmal movie. How anyone at Disney looked at this and went “yep” I will never know.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Just got back from a disney cruise….

They play movies every day in their on board theaters. Heres what was played:

The Marvels
Wish
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

😐
My condolences.
You are not alone, I saw the Marvels and I fell asleep when the three protagonists were talking

Last edited:
it’s not really surprising. I enjoy watching Disney movies often with my 7 year old daughter, but nothing about the Wish trailer seemed like the movie can compete with the other Disney animated movie offerings.

Then you have the Marvels, where they try to explain it by superhero fatigue, although it’s clear there are 2 main reasons.

1. They can make excuses, but it’s evident that there was a significant quality drop especially after the latest Spider-Man movie. We are far away from the times, where you could blindly go in a Marvel movie and be sure to have a great time.

2. Nothing against women in movies, but the majority of superhero movie fans are male and when you have a movie with 3 women in the lead, you have an uphill battle in front of you. Sure we had Captain Marvel, but that movie had a strong co-lead with Samuel l. Jackson and then we had Black Widow, which also wasn’t one of the strongest movies, but it had a highly popular leading character with Black Widow. I know Disney want to be diverse, but they also need to consider profitability.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Poor year for Disney, but they only have themselves to blame for releasing such crap content.

2024 isn't looking that better for them either. Although I'm confident Deadpool 3 will be successful, it's now the only MCU film being released that year.

Then at the back of that year they're releasing Mufasa, a "live action" prequel to the Lion King. I have no idea how well that'll do. It's directed by Barry Jenkins, but I'm not sure it's going to pull in the numbers as it's a prequel.

There are also some 20th century films, including Alien: Romulus, but the last two Alien films were so shit that I can't see the public gagging to see this one at the cinema.

They're being hit by two boycotts. On one side are those mad that the movie is a woke fairy tale about a diverse main character trying to kill the white man god. On the other side are the woke fashion antisemites boycotting Disney because Iger sent money to Israel.
Woke movies are as a general rule of thumb bad. So there is no need to actively boycott - it’s just not something that you would want to see anyway.

SJRB

Gold Member

It's supposed to be a celebration of 100 years of Disney animation. It combines CGI with hand drawn animation and contains 100 references to previous Disney movies. Many critics hated it because Wish seems to be one Disney cliche after another.So what was supposed to be a celebration of everything Disney became yet another box office flop in a year with so many expensive Disney flops.

That trailer is legit dreadful. It really is one cliche after the other.

You forgot one more Boycott. Another side being that of the Christian Conversatives. Last I checked that makes a huge part of the US population. Disney shitting on that demographic just got that group to not want to watch their stuff. Disney did it to themselves

DKehoe

I want them to make money, just... not using DEI.
The fixation some people have on them is kinda odd though, right? A lot of grown men who seem more interested in discussing The Little Mermaid than Oppenheimer, in Snow White rather than Killers of the Flower Moon. That kind of attitude, where adults are more interested in films targeted at kids rather than those made for people their age, didn't really seem to be present a few decades ago.

Toots

Gold Member
First ten seconds :
"I'm here ! I'm here !" with the goddam waving of the flag in case your attention was not 100% focused on this self obsessed moron.
"Woo !" this is to tell you you're gonna get the kind of flavor you find in the hot sauce Hillary Clinton carries in her purse during election months
"Let me catch my breath" To show the heroin is n't afraid to break all the mean patriarchal codes, like being prepared when you enter the stage which most would think is the basis of respect you owe to your audience and fellow actors.

To say it looks dreadfully bad would be an euphemism.

Plus this kind of "look at me im an attention whore" characters is a slap in the face of disney's audience
Disney really think gen z is so vapid that it's the kind of representation they want ?

Hudo

All I can say is that the last CGI animation movie that I liked was Puss in Boots: The Last Wish. And the next animated movie I am looking forward to is The Boy And The Heron, by none other than Miyazaki. Disney is irrelevant.

I wonder if Disney will decide they are a for-profit corporation in a capitalist economy with shareholders who demand profits and decide to pivot away from wokeness or will they ride this woke ship straight down to Davey Jones' Locker.

I remember when Disney made awesome shit like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It wasn't even that long ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom