• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney is reportedly learning from their misses and will try to focus on quality over quantity.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Holy shit, what a lying sack of shit. Part of the reason Chapek was removed was because he tried to control the woke creatives so they brought Bob back, the one who started all this bullshit. This scumbag has been blaming Chapek for decisions he made for months now.
Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

Cyberpunkd

1. Become a CEO of Disney
2. Create an environment where messaging and modern themes are given importance over storytelling
3. Hire people that share this vision
4. They make movies
5. Movies bomb
6. Make a pivot saying the company focused too much on messaging

It looks like Czapek wanted exactly this - not taking political stances but just doing the job, and found himself in opposition to all activist employees that were hired over the past 15 years of Iger as a CEO.

Also Iger never wanted to leave his job as a CEO.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1. Become a CEO of Disney
2. Create an environment where messaging and modern themes are given importance over storytelling
3. Hire people that share this vision
4. They make movies
5. Movies bomb
6. Make a pivot saying the company focused too much on messaging

It looks like Czapek wanted exactly this - not taking political stances but just doing the job, and found himself in opposition to all activist employees that were hired over the past 15 years of Iger as a CEO.

Also Iger never wanted to leave his job as a CEO.
The classic bait & switch. Create the problem, allow it to fester and grow unabated, provide the "solution" of the problems you helped lay the groundwork and curate, all while blaming "the other guy" who wanted to fix them.

Politics 101, really.

Cyberpunkd

The classic bait & switch. Create the problem, allow it to fester and grow unabated, provide the "solution" of the problems you helped lay the groundwork and curate, all while blaming "the other guy" who wanted to fix them.

Politics 101, really.
I mean - I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the CNBC article makes both Czapek and Iger as rather childish figures that couldn't even communicate properly. Czapek was wondering if Iger's questions were passive-aggressive snaps and sarcasms or genuine ask for information. At the same time Iger with his "let's have a long walk" and not giving his support to Czapek is WTF moment, how is that leadership?
I know he probably realized very quickly he didn't really want to stop being the CEO, but just be honest with yourself and the guy and backtrack, they only thing hurt will be your ego.

ManaByte

Gold Member

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’m just glad that “wokeness” is now a concept that has entered the public consciousness and is seen as a pejorative, and is alienating audiences and costing companies real money.

Funny how some people would always try to tell you that wokeness was just a figment of your imagination and that you’re being a sensitive snowflake, or that “[thing you liked before we ruined it] has always been woke”. Kinda hard to keep pushing that lie when even Disney’s CEO admits it’s real and it’s losing them billions of dollars.

Dural

They already fired Victoria Alonso from Marvel. She's the exec who was pushing to not use the X-Men name, and was responsible for the shit VFX because all VFX houses hated her.

Susan Arnold was also removed from chairman of the board, so maybe they really are trying to move in a different direction as she was at the forefront of the Florida bill argument. The DEI director was also let go, though they did hire a replacement (I was hoping they would just leave the job vacant). It's really a wait and see at this point, maybe they will focus on story rather than ideology, but it's going to take a lot of time to really know with everything that was already in the pipeline.

Fake

I’m just glad that “wokeness” is now a concept that has entered the public consciousness and is seen as a pejorative, and is alienating audiences and costing companies real money.

Funny how some people would always try to tell you that wokeness was just a figment of your imagination and that you’re being a sensitive snowflake, or that “[thing you liked before we ruined it] has always been woke”. Kinda hard to keep pushing that lie when even Disney’s CEO admits it’s real and it’s losing them billions of dollars.

Most of the people that deny 'woke' are woke themselves. Look at Spider-Man 2 game. This is like the game putting woke infront of you 100% of the time and people 'nah'.

I can't see much difference between woke deniers and round earth deniers. They both need a shock of reality after denying biology and science.

Konnor

Read a reddit post the other day btw with links of Bob Iger saying Disney will focus on quality over quantity since 2019. The dude is a joke

RoboFu

One of the green rats
He just announced two more Frozen movies and a fifth Toy Story.

I cant imagine how much tom and tim are getting paid to come back. 4 was supposed ot be their big going out.

frozen is a risk. 2 wasn't nearly as good or well recieved as 1.

But beyond all of that there. Being able to fire all the crazies without getting sued is going to take a long time. I really do not see how its going to happen quick enough. I mean even if it isn't her fault just having Kathleen Kennedy still around is going to automatically push people away. Her connection t starwars and raiders failures is dogmatic now.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Most of the people that deny 'woke' are woke themselves. Look at Spider-Man 2 game. This is like the game putting woke infront of you 100% of the time and people 'nah'.

I can't see much difference between woke deniers and round earth deniers. They both need a shock of reality after denying biology and science.
The word is so vague most people wouldn't even know what to deny if someone only used the word woke to describe something.

It's become like marklar.

Holy shit, what a lying sack of shit. Part of the reason Chapek was removed was because he tried to control the woke creatives so they brought Bob back, the one who started all this bullshit. This scumbag has been blaming Chapek for decisions he made for months now.
You are absolutely right. He must really think that people are dumb to not see what he’s trying to do. Let’s not forget that while he was not the CEO of Disney anymore, he was still on the board and still kept his office at the HQ.

SkylineRKR

Drop the multiverse, and the phases. Its been done, and it peaked at Endgame. If anything the series on D+ made it even worse.

Try to create stand alone stories again. Perhaps smaller scope.

MCU right now is a dead horse. I doubt it will recover. Its been in decline for quite a while now and The Marvels is an absolute case of viewers voting with their wallet. And its a case of woke losing ground. Pick this side, and you will feel it. It will always be a vocal minority.

Ant Man 3 should've bombed like this too, terrible movie.

I unfortunately bought Disney stock at its high point. I figured Disney, Marvel and Star Wars. What could possibly go wrong. F me.
I personally regret not buying Netflix stock when its market cap dropped to 80b.
The thing with Disney is that they have run Star Wars into the ground and nobody cares about new Marvel heroes. Their last remaining card is X-Men and that's it.

frozen is a risk. 2 wasn't nearly as good or well recieved as 1.
Yeah, Frozen 2 came and went without any impact.

Last edited:

Yoda

Even if it's true (Disney being honest lol) it'd take quite awhile before we saw a "pivot" in their content. On top of that, it isn't quantity that's the problem, it's the creatives they've cast into roles which should be a brutal meritocracy; so not being honest about whats wrong is another sign this is raw bullshit. As long as people like Kathleen Kennedy can't be fired over obvious consistent failures (RoS, Indiana Jones, etc...) than these mandates are meaningless. Their output is the sum of all their senior creative executives, and the ones who gave us the current crop of shit all our still employed in their same roles.

Godzilla Minus One debuted at the number three spot on the domestic box office chart, behind debutante Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé and the holdover hit The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, but ahead of two animated titles, Trolls Band Together and Wish.

Never thought I'd see the day where a Japanese Godzilla movie, released widely in North America for the first time since Godzilla 2000, available only with subtitles and no English dub, would somehow find a way to beat the latest Disney Thanksgiving weekend animated family picture. If this isn't a damning indictment of how audiences are responding to Disney's recent output, I'm not sure what is. I don't think it helps matters that most people who bothered to see Wish during the first week said it sucked, which is why in it's second week it got stomped on by a giant monster's debut.

KrakenIPA

Never thought I'd see the day where a Japanese Godzilla movie, released widely in North America for the first time since Godzilla 2000, available only with subtitles and no English dub, would somehow find a way to beat the latest Disney Thanksgiving weekend animated family picture. If this isn't a damning indictment of how audiences are responding to Disney's recent output, I'm not sure what is. I don't think it helps matters that most people who bothered to see Wish during the first week said it sucked, which is why in it's second week it got stomped on by a giant monster's debut.
Ulgh where is Napoleon im saw it last week im going again this week!

Top Bottom