• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney is reportedly learning from their misses and will try to focus on quality over quantity.

Have you had your head buried in the sand for 14 months?, Disney have just had their worse year ever, they have lost upwards of 750 million dollars (its hard to know exact numbers as marketing budgets are not disclosed). Their share price is through the floor. Families have turned their backs on Disney and are not buying what they are selling. You seem to be either unaware or unable to face facts.
Don't forget blowing $2bn on a theme park.

They still don't get why people don't like them. It ain't there being too many releases.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
But Bergman promised the studio will learned from its down year at the box office and move on with a slate that includes The Omen prequel, a new Planet of the Apes, Inside Out 2, a new Alien and Deadpool 3, which recently resumed filming post actors’ strike.

So all sequels or prequels. I'm guessing that's not going to work out well for them. These are franchises with established fan bases that are tough to please. I think focusing on new things is a better idea but it's too much of a risk for shareholders.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Disney: Just one more IP acquisition, bro. I promise, just one more and everything will be fine. Just a few billion more to get this IP for a new cinematic universe and we'll be good. I mean it this time.

Why not? It made them billions with Marvel and Star Wars.

If they paid billions for Pokémon or Star Trek then they could create more cinematic universes to make billions.

They could also "cross the streams", so make films and TV shows that combine all the IPs they own.

Imagine a Star Wars Vs Star Trek film or Pokémon Vs Marvel.

It makes financial sense.

Fbh

This just sounds like "We'll double down on sequels and do even more reshoots and focus testing!"

Why not? It made them billions with Marvel and Star Wars.

If they paid billions for Pokémon or Star Trek then they could create more cinematic universes to make billions.

They could also "cross the streams", so make films and TV shows that combine all the IPs they own.

Imagine a Star Wars Vs Star Trek film or Pokémon Vs Marvel.

It makes financial sense.

It makes financial sense in that they are extracting more money from these franchises than what they paid for them. They have made more than $4 billion from Star Wars since acquiring it.
But in the long run I don't know how sustainable this practice of buying IP and running it into the ground by over milking it with low quality content is going to be.

At some point there won't be any more big franchises to buy, they'll have killed the excitement about everything they bought and they won't have the skill set to create new franchises

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
His words don’t match his actions. He just green lit a bunch more marvel stuff for their tv shows. they are just pivoting content to Disney plus which is already hemorrhaging money. Im
Thinking this is more about accounting than it is about content. It’s going to get worse. Not better.

Billbofet

His words don’t match his actions. He just green lit a bunch more marvel stuff for their tv shows. they are just pivoting content to Disney plus which is already hemorrhaging money. Im
Thinking this is more about accounting than it is about content. It’s going to get worse. Not better.
It has to be money laundering at this point, seriously. Frozen 3 & 4, live-action Moana, Rey trilogy (vaporware), and these Avengers movies that will probably cost $400M just to produce and get less than half of what Age of Ultron brought in - and that was with characters that were beloved.

Mr1999

I have this gut feeling they are doing this because of AI and that they are trying to stay relevant. They are finally figuring out that you either give people what they want or they will do it themselves eventually.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Meh, honestly I'm shocked how much I'm enjoying stuff from studios like Blumhouse and A24 than trying to keep these megagojira studios open that have clearly lost the plot of what makes people go to the movies to begin with. I don't want another Alien, I don't care that Deadpool paid Hugh Jackman to revive himself as Wolverine, who honestly cares about Pixar movies anymore, I'm just over it and it's clear many others are.

Btw if you're reading this, Whiplash is one of the best non-horror horror related films I've seen even though it's about a jazz musician. You'll know what I mean when you watch it.

I know exactly what you mean and it's the best movie Ive seen in the last ten years. Wound up relating a LOT to it because of a specific sports coach I had growing up. Also made me a Miles fan.

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Dural

Change will only happen when those responsible for leading Disney to doom are replaced. Call me when they do more than run the mouth.

Yep, I've said this many times here; Iger is the reason for this downfall and it will continue with him and his cronies still there.

This article tells all about the BS going on in the background with management plotting against the CEO at the time, at the behest of Iger. I feel like our only hope at this point is Nelson Peltz with the help of Ike Perlmutter getting board seats and trying to steer the company in the right direction as both of them seem to care about the Disney legacy. I doubt he'd even want to return (maybe if Iger was gone), but if they could get John Lasseter to come back there could be a big turnaround with the animation studios.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Have you had your head buried in the sand for 14 months?, Disney have just had their worse year ever, they have lost upwards of 750 million dollars (its hard to know exact numbers as marketing budgets are not disclosed). Their share price is through the floor. Families have turned their backs on Disney and are not buying what they are selling. You seem to be either unaware or unable to face facts.
I said in my post that it gives them the ability to weather blows that would sink other companies.

Let me know when they shut their doors and shut down.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I know exactly what you mean and it's the best movie Ive seen in the last ten years. Wound up relating a LOT to it because of a specific sports coach I had growing up. Also made me a Miles fan.
You have to love the ball berry, love the ball like you love your own balls.

Sleep with the ball, make love with the ball, caresse the ball, the ball is your life, berry.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This just sounds like "We'll double down on sequels and do even more reshoots and focus testing!"

It makes financial sense in that they are extracting more money from these franchises than what they paid for them. They have made than $4 billion from Star Wars since acquiring it.
But in the long run I don't know how sustainable this practice of buying IP and running it into the ground by over milking it with low quality content is going to be.

At some point there won't be any more big franchises to buy, they'll have killed the excitement about everything they bought and they won't have the skill set to create new franchises

This is where mixing IPs could be a better bet than buying a new IP at the moment.

Avengers Secret Wars is coming up, which will end the multiverse saga. Where to go after that?

Well what about 10 films and multiple TV shows based on:

Marvel x Star Wars x Disney.

Secret Wars could be the introduction of this. Rather than having just a bunch of Marvel characters, have Start Wars and Disney characters make an appearance, such as Darth Vader fighting iron man in the background of a scene, or Mickey Mouse winking at the camera during a huge battle? Think of the money this would make?!

If that doesn't work, then go insane buying as many mega IPs and then merging them all together.

Disney, if you're reading this, I'm willing to be in charge to oversee this new Golden Age.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Good call for sure. I have noticed my kids and friends' kids actually see right through this low-quality bullshit and move on.
Noticed the same with my kids. I think propaganda is just boring. You can really tell the difference between a story based on archetypes and themes that resonate with you vs a story filled with some activist’s clumsy moralizing and virtue signaling. Even kids can tell the difference although they might not be consciously aware of it.

Plus with these live action remakes, even the ones that were faithful to the original feel really joyless and overly long. I think my kids watched the live action Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Lion King 1 time each before going back to the animated ones. The only one they come back to is Jungle Book (2016) which was pretty good.

Billbofet

Noticed the same with my kids. I think propaganda is just boring. You can really tell the difference between a story based on archetypes and themes that resonate with you vs a story filled with some activist’s clumsy moralizing and virtue signaling. Even kids can tell the difference although they might not be consciously aware of it.

Plus with these live action remakes, even the ones that were faithful to the original feel really joyless and overly long. I think my kids watched the live action Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Lion King 1 time each before going back to the animated ones. The only one they come back to is Jungle Book (2016) which was pretty good.
Our Disney+ sub was up in mid-October. I had paid the year in advance, so I ended up canceling a renewal as the price skyrocketed to $140/year. Forgot to tell my kids, but they haven't even noticed since no one has fired up the app in months.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Our Disney+ sub was up in mid-October. I had paid the year in advance, so I ended up canceling a renewal as the price skyrocketed to $140/year. Forgot to tell my kids, but they haven't even noticed since no one has fired up the app in months.
Good idea, think I’ll do the same. The only thing my kids really watch are Big City Greens and Bluey but they haven’t watched either in probably a few months. Otherwise we only use Disney+ to watch something we already own because it’s easier than getting up and putting the blu-ray in lol

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If that's true he finally is acknowledging it
If true then yeah it’s pretty encouraging that he would say that so candidly.

Still skeptical they can turn it around though. At bottom I think Disney is now filled with people who have absolutely no clue why their classics (and the fairy tales and mythologies they’re based on) resonated with people through the generations. Or what makes for a good story at all. It’s not like you can just tell these people “alright don’t push The Message so hard” and they’ll start making better stories.

Like, if you think you can take Peter Pan and make Wendy from a motherly figure into a girlboss, and have girls in the Lost Boys, you just fundamentally didn’t understand what the story was about.

If true then yeah it’s pretty encouraging that he would say that so candidly.

Still skeptical they can turn it around though. At bottom I think Disney is now filled with people who have absolutely no clue why their classics (and the fairy tales and mythologies they’re based on) resonated with people through the generations. Or what makes for a good story at all. It’s not like you can just tell these people “alright don’t push The Message so hard” and they’ll start making better stories.

Like, if you think you can take Peter Pan and make Wendy from a motherly figure into a girlboss, and have girls in the Lost Boys, you just fundamentally didn’t understand what the story was about.

Even though he's admitting it, I dont expect anything to change. Action speaks louder than words. We shall see if he gets rid of the Feminazi/SJW Politics in the MCU and Star Wars. I doubt it

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
He just announced two more Frozen movies and a fifth Toy Story.
Quality means more personal politics and rehashes of franchises done to death. Great. Time to sign up for Disney + again. Many forget that Disney's poor direction started with Iger as CEO. Him returning isn't just going to float things back as this isn't a CEO exclusive decision. Just PR to assure investors that they didn't have a really bad year and 'there, there...we'll bring you more money in 2024.'

Dural

If that's true he finally is acknowledging it

In a late March (2022) interview with CNN’s Chris Wallace, Iger had some veiled words for Chapek. “When you’re dealing with right and wrong, or when you’re dealing with something that does have a profound effect on your business, then I just think you have to do what is right and not worry about the potential backlash to it,” Iger said.

This has always been their reasoning for the DEI bullshit (they dont think its politics its just right). Chapek specifically wanted to stay out of politics, Iger doesn't. He thinks he could be president, thought he would be Disney's savior last year then run for president after defeating the mean DeSantis (not going to happen btw). Things aren't going to plan so he's getting desperate, he hasn't had any sort of change of heart he's just saying whatever can to try and help the stock. Just watch their content and you'll know nothing has changed, all the same creative decision makers are there. They need to clean house, all creative directors fired.

This has always been their reasoning for the DEI bullshit (they dont think its politics its just right). Chapek specifically wanted to stay out of politics, Iger doesn't. He thinks he could be president, thought he would be Disney's savior last year then run for president after defeating the mean DeSantis (not going to happen btw). Things aren't going to plan so he's getting desperate, he hasn't had any sort of change of heart he's just saying whatever can to try and help the stock. Just watch their content and you'll know nothing has changed, all the same creative decision makers are there. They need to clean house, all creative directors fired.

You know I mentioned this earlier?

Even though he's admitting it, I dont expect anything to change. Action speaks louder than words. We shall see if he gets rid of the Feminazi/SJW Politics in the MCU and Star Wars. I doubt it

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Disney has killed Star Wars, Pixar, and Marvel. I really don't know where you go from here.
Disney has also built pixar and marvel so it isn’t beyond reason that they could build again.
Star Wars they just don’t understand. They hired good directors but did not build a coherent story. And they let rain Johnson write and create absolute garbage.

Flutta

Banned
Please die already. No one cares anymore. I won’t see a Disney movie or show ever again. After what you tried to do the kids watching your shit? Never forget never forgive. Disney is a pure example of what an evil company is.

KrakenIPA

Hey Iger, thanks for rewarding my loyalty to your streaming scam by tanking the carry-over valuation of my physical media collection. Oh I'm mad.

Dural

Nothing is going to change. They are all too terrified of being ‘cancelled’ on social media.

As funny as that sounds, that's exactly what is going on. In that article I linked earlier from CNBC it specifically says they released Strange World knowing it was going to bomb because they didn't want to upset the LGBT community. They had to bend over backwards to apologize to a community that they're not making money off of when Chapek didn't want the company involved with politics with the Florida bill. It's a bunch of loud narcissists on social media (and in their company) that they were bowing down to. They treat the LGBT community as if they all think the same and those loud idiots are the voice for all of them. I still don't think they understand that losing families is why they're losing money (along with a bunch of shit content).

Reckheim

Please die already. No one cares anymore. I won’t see a Disney movie or show ever again. After what you tried to do the kids watching your shit? Never forget never forgive. Disney is a pure example of what an evil company is.
what did they do?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nothing is going to change. They are all too terrified of being ‘cancelled’ on social media.
Probably true. Like most people or companies who publicly go all out with political slants. The US is roughly 50/50 red and blue in voting, yet when it comes to social media you'd think the country is 95/5 blue.

Best thing to do IMO is just be chill and dont go blazing around town trying to score brownie points. Its such a crock too. Because on Linkedin I see tons of current and ex-coworkers doing their usual BS comments or likes or leadership/motivation post. Add that to their glammed up photo they paid someone to do and you'd think these people (both men and women) are the most qualified cool people to work with or work for.

Go out to lunch with them or know them after work hanging out and they are the biggest pigs saying dumb shit both generally or behind people's backs.

Cyberpunkd

Best thing to do IMO is just be chill and dont go blazing around town trying to score brownie points. Its such a crock too. Because on Linkedin I see tons of current and ex-coworkers doing their usual BS comments or likes or leadership/motivation post. Add that to their glammed up photo they paid someone to do and you'd think these people (both men and women) are the most qualified cool people to work with or work for.

Go out to lunch with them or know them after work hanging out and they are the biggest pigs saying dumb shit both generally or behind people's backs.
As my mother said:
1. There are people who work hard, but absolutely neglect making a lot of noise about it
2. There are people that are shit but are great at doing their own PR
3. Very few people are both

You see how it is on LinkedIn because this makes those people hired.

Last edited:
Top Bottom