• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mario movie set to cruise past a billion at the box office and become the bigget video game movie by a huge margin

NahaNago

Always a possibility it won't, but John Wick has a very specific audience, while SMBM is really everyone.
All of this is true. It is the possibility that has me hesitant. Everyone seems to be calling it a billion dollar film but it could easily drop the ball in the next 2 weeks. So I'll just sit back and wait and see.

Bragr

Banned
I hope it is. I'm just hesitant to declare a billion dollar victory until it hits a billion. How much of a drop will the second week be. Everyone was raving over john wick doing so well, I was starting to think that was going to be nearly a billion from the way folks were talking.
John Wick 3 was a big success and grossed a little over 300 million. John Wick 4 is gonna top that and likely land at around 350 million. There has never been any talk of John Wick getting close to a billion.

Grossing a billion is extreme. Very few movies get close to that.

The Mario Movie went past Johh Wick 4's total box office numbers in 5 days. Compared to other movies with openings like that, crossing a billion shouldn't be an issue. The Mario Movie is gonna earn more than all the John Wick movies combined.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
John Wick 3 was a big success and grossed a little over 300 million. John Wick 4 is gonna top that and likely land at around 350 million. There has never been any talk of John Wick getting close to a billion.

The Mario Movie went past Johh Wick 4's total box office numbers in 5 days. Compared to other movies with openings like that, crossing a billion shouldn't be an issue. The Mario Movie is gonna earn more than all the John Wick movies combined.
Which means they should've had Keanu voice Mario.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Which means they should've had Keanu voice Mario.
Keanu Reeves GIF

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Interestingly, all the movies require the franchise to be old enough for nostalgia driven parents to take their kids to. The cycle of violence then continues generation after generation in the same manner as the Hatfields and Mccoys.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Loved it !! The perfect video game film adaptation :messenger_fire::messenger_fire: I’ll definitely be seeing it again. Super action packed and had everything I could ever want in a Mario movie 🔥

Last edited:

ShinFuYux

The movie started so great, but it kinda lost itself near the end.

I have a feeling they tried to tell a serious story but the higher ups were like "nah, bro, dumb that shit down".

pramod

Banned
Wow, who woulda thought a video game movie based on the most popular game in the world, is 100% faithful to the source material, and even looks exactly like the actual game, would turn out to be popular?

BlackTron

It's been a long time since I went to the theater and I saw both. John Wick with one adult, and Mario with 2 adults and 2 kids, and we moved down in the row so this giant party with like 8 kids could all fit in the same row together. So my experience is pretty consistent with these numbers.

Mario just has such a wider reach than an adult-only action movie. I sat next to a tiny 3-4 year old dressed as Rosalina. Nintendo may as well be the new fucking Disney. When kids are indoctrinated it's printing money.

Side note, my 10yo niece kinda freaked out at Peach's final ace up her sleeve, it's her favorite game ability because it's similar to a certain popular Disney princess. For me that was a real high note, where it succeeded as a game crossover movie (by invoking the experience of the game) and struck a chord with her exactly because it set out to do that. Successful game adaptation.

Azurro

Banned

I have a feeling they tried to tell a serious story but the higher ups were like "nah, bro, dumb that shit down".

Well, Mario has never had much of a story, it's always characters that are cute, happy and funny. Even the ghost characters are cute, it kinda makes sense the movie would be the same, no?

Scotty W

Gold Member
I'm gonna give it a month till the crowds at the theatre die down, but I can't wait to watch this with my niece and nephew. Their parents don't let them go too hard on the video games, so I like to spoil them when they come visit. I'm not sure they've ever even played Mario, but they're both excited for the movie. It's so much fun to share these experiences with them and see how they react to and enjoy the same things I grew up with.
Y’all should microdose some magic mushrooms to make this one extra special.

tkscz

This up coming weekend should be interesting. It doesn't have competition in terms of animated family movie and just going from the audiences that were in the two theaters I saw the movie in (once with wife and once with my kids) quite a few people plan on seeing it again.

DKehoe

Just back from seeing it and thought it was pretty fun. Cinema was packed as well, which wasn’t surprising considering how well it’s been doing at the box office.

Batiman

Banned

Probably for the better. It feels like a plot I could make up in 5 min in my head. Add in all the cool video game references and some popular voice actors and boom. Success.

Makes me wonder why it took them so long to make a big budget movie. I thought it was fun. No way was it bad, also not great.

Also they did a good job transitioning these voiceless characters into real characters without it feeling jarring at all. Especially with all the Pratt voice hate and other concerns before the release. Was really natural in the end and probably what they deserve the most praise for.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
That's not a problem in an of itself, as tropey as it is.

The problem is that it has to be in contrast to an incompetent protagonist, who then by definition is not needed and has no agency.

A movie with a protagonist who has no agency backed up by supporting characters who don't need him and have no development is a bad movie.

And this movie (just got back) is very bad.

damon wayans fox GIF by Lethal Weapon

Synless

41% drop.

🎵🍑,🍑,🍑,🍑,🍑🎵

i'm glad i am not Nintendo-indoctrinated.

but that song is stuck in my head.
Now, I’m willing to be wrong here but a 41% is not bad compared to the average movie for a second weekend… in fact I believe I read its a lower drop than average By about 20%.

WoJ

I took my daughter to see it over the weekend. It wasn't bad. I enjoyed the Sonic movies more. But this was certainly enjoyable.

Marvel14

Banned
$700 million reached. $1 billion here we go!

Hopefully Nintendo uses some of its profits to up investment in higher capabilities for the Switch successor.

It's the first time they've ever made so much money so quickly.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

Hopefully Nintendo uses some of its profits to up investment in higher capabilities for the Switch successor.

It's shocking to me they didn't make a tie in game

E-Cat

I wonder what cut Illumination are getting?

I would like them to use some of these profits to create the Nintendo Cinematic Universe. First off I would like a Donkey Kong movie and bring Seth Rogen back to voice DK. I heard some people think a Zelda movie would be cool. Others would like a Luigi's Mansion movie. I admit that I wonder what a Metroid movie would be like, especially Metroid itself is inspired by Alien so it would be a movie inspired by a video game inspired by a movie! There are a lot of possibilities now that Nintendo has tasted that box office money printer success!

I think Nintendo should stay conservative with the Switch 2's specs. The appeal of Switch has always been the ability to grab it off the dock and play it as a portable. Excessive spec inflation that compromises it's ability to be a portable would be against the hybrid console concept that made Switch so successful.

Billbofet

Took my son to this tonight. He's 8 and most of the easter eggs were likely over his head, but he really enjoyed it.
I also enjoyed it quite a bit, but I wish there were more references and nods to the greatest Mario game of all time, Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)!!!
Fingers crossed on seeing a Zelda movie - fully aware of how difficult it would be to pull off right! Or Metroid as a total pipedream.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Ah, they prob made less than 50m on it. Out of the 700m, the theaters take a 55-60% cut, subtract the marketing budget (125m ish), than illumination and Universal cut. The only buck they are really making is on the rise of Switch and Mario sales.

Switch's Mario video games have made them around 10b.

With this and TLOU TV show having made waves, I expect Hollywood to get into videogames adaptations full mode, especially that the superheroes craze is slowly getting to an end.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Excessive spec inflation that compromises it's ability to be a portable

Ah, they prob made less than 50m on it.
What are you two smoking ?

It's the first time I see someone say "i hope Nintendo's hardware isn't too powerful so I can carry it." We know they will likely err on side of a current gen mid low capability mobile chipset. I just hope this success gives them the profit boost to absorb the cost of a midrange or even highmid mobile SoC with DLSS2.0. Portability should be completely unaffected, though battery life may be a bit worse.

And on that profit:
Assume.movie cost $150m to make and market,. that theatres take 50% of the revenue and Nintendo takes half of the subsequent profits.
$700m becomes $350m and leaves $200m total profit.

That's $100m already on 2 weeks and rising probably to $200m (hasn't released in Japan yet). They could put $75m aside for the next film and still have a bulging wallet. They would have to sell 1.7 mn copies of a game at £60 in two weeks to get the same revenue never mind profit. More profit will come from streaming, merchandising(games included) and tie ins.

Last edited:
I haven't saw it yet but happy it's doing well.

Do Zelda next please! I can't imagine a live action movie looking good so it has to be animated. It'd have to be an anime movie. I'm not sure it would be as successful as Mario but I'd watch it.

the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-studio-ghibli.jpg

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
What are you two smoking ?

It's the first time I see someone say "i hope Nintendo's hardware isn't too powerful so I can carry it." We know they will likely err on side of a current gen mid low capability mobile chipset. I just hope this success gives them the profit boost to absorb the cost of a midrange or even highmid mobile SoC with DLSS2.0. Portability should be completely unaffected, though battery life may be a bit worse.

And on that profit:
Assume.movie cost $150m to make and market,. that theatres take 50% of the revenue and Nintendo takes half of the subsequent profits.
$700m becomes $350m and leaves $200m total profit.

That's $100m already on 2 weeks and rising probably to $200m (hasn't released in Japan yet). They could put $75m aside for the next film and still have a bulging wallet. They would have to sell 1.7 mn copies of a game at £60 in two weeks to get the same revenue never mind profit. More profit will come from streaming, merchandising(games included) and tie ins.
I'm sure the profit can come to something bigger, mostly from the rise of brand awareness and more people wanting to play Mario. What the actual movie will give Nintendo in terms of profits is not that substantial for them, but maybe we'll see differently in their financial results.

Bragr

Banned
It just had the 7th-best second weekend of all time. This was the weekend of the 14th to the 16th. Pretty wild stuff.

The highest-grossing second-weekend movies ever in the United States:
  1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens, $149.2 million
  2. Avengers: Endgame, $147.4 million
  3. Avengers: Infinity War, $114.8 million
  4. Black Panther, $111.7 million
  5. Jurassic World, $106.6 million
  6. The Avengers, $103.1 million
  7. The Super Mario Bros. Movie, $92.5 million
  8. 2017’s Beauty and the Beast, $90.4 million
  9. Top Gun Maverick, $90 million
  10. Frozen II, $85.9 million

Bragr

Banned
Ah, they prob made less than 50m on it. Out of the 700m, the theaters take a 55-60% cut, subtract the marketing budget (125m ish), than illumination and Universal cut. The only buck they are really making is on the rise of Switch and Mario sales.

Switch's Mario video games have made them around 10b.
"This comes courtesy of MST Financial senior analyst David Gibson, who estimates that the movie will make $1.2 billion total at the box office, followed by an additional $2.3 billion from its digital release. Altogether, that’s $3.5 billion (about £2.8 billion).

Obviously, all that money won’t go to Nintendo – Illumination and Universal will be taking a cut – but Gibson tells Axios that Nintendo will come out of the venture with around $1.1 billion (about £886 million)."

Top Bottom