• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Aquaman 2’ Sinks With $40 Million Debut

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Popcorn was delicious, Aquaman having a son was interesting, Moma had a great performance. He gave people his “Baba Voss” performance (From Apple TV’s “See” show) that was interesting, the enemies pressured Aquaman into saving the world. I think there’s a little bit of negativity surrounding super hero movies these days.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm going to give bluebeetle a watch. I'll probably hate it though because I can't stand George Lopez such a buffoon and caricature of Mexican Americans.

George Lopez was more tolerable in this than his TV shows. Still somewhat of a spaz tho. The real draw is Xolo Maridueña as Jaime Reyes. He does such a great job that he's one of the few DCEU actors returning for the DCU.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
George Lopez was more tolerable in this than his TV shows. Still somewhat of a spaz tho. The real draw is Xolo Maridueña as Jaime Reyes. He does such a great job that he's one of the few DCEU actors returning for the DCU.
I'll watch it despite him. I've only seen snippets of his shows makes me cringe as Mexican American myself.

Alcibiades

I'm going to give bluebeetle a watch. I'll probably hate it though because I can't stand George Lopez such a buffoon and caricature of Mexican Americans.
Usually cant stand him either, but he fits alright in Blue Beetle as the stereotype crazy uncle every Mexican family has. He's over the top for sure but he won me over through the course of the film.

Pidull

I honestly think this has less to do with the movie quality, and more to do with streaming services.

Why would I pay to watch the newest superhero movie when it's streamable 6 months later on Disney+ or HBO/MAX?

There's no incentive for me to leave home for these movies, especially when half of them are generally "meh" in the first place.

Not to mention how much content is now available to consume at home for cheap. It's overwhelming at times.

Methos#1975

I honestly think this has less to do with the movie quality, and more to do with streaming services.

Why would I pay to watch the newest superhero movie when it's streamable 6 months later on Disney+ or HBO/MAX?

There's no incentive for me to leave home for these movies, especially when half of them are generally "meh" in the first place.

Not to mention how much content is now available to consume at home for cheap. It's overwhelming at times.
Yeah, rather people accept it or not the cinema is pretty much dead now and we need to look beyond box office sales as to what defines success now.

VulcanRaven

Super heroes are over and it was called years ago. I can’t even delight in this, I just worry about 30+ year olds that hang on.

The reality is the kids who fueled the engine will see this as kid shit until it is time to relive their glory days.
The Batman 2, Joker 2 and the Deadpool/Wolverine movie will make a lot of money.

Last edited:

Tams

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Fuck Amber

I value my bedsheets too much to do that.

VulcanRaven

Not a chance. It’s clear Disney are making it a big part of their ongoing dull as shit multiverse saga, and I don’t believe for one second it won’t be softened down. It’ll be clear once trailers start dropping that this ain’t the same thing.
Wolverine is back so I'm sure it will do well.

mcjmetroid

A good cape film will do well. The issue is that so many of these recent films are by the numbers or aggressively poorly written/slacktivist-bent to a degree even the average consumer can see and not move past.

The comic movies have become the same as the comics themselves. They care less about telling an interesting story and more about hammering in the writer's moral stances to the the point of brain damage (The Marvels) or are just so aggressively bland that you can't remember a single thing about them (99% of DC films).

What these companies need to do is get a creative team going, set up a 5-10 year plan, and meticulously plan out the films with excellent and unique narratives. We need more Loki/JOKER's and less Aquaman/Marvels.
I think the big comic books franchises will continue to do well. The Spidermans, batmans and even guardians.

But original projects, even ones that are good will not I believe. That ship has sailed for about ten or so years in my opinion and that's when maybe people will be ready again.

People are just bored of these movies. I said this when end game came out, end game gave the audience everything they wanted.. even too much in my opinion. What they did makes it very hard to top in a future movie and well here we are....

I agree the quality was not there since besides maybe Spiderman but I believe the problem is more than the quality. It's the quantity of releases and the length of time we've been getting these movies.

Superhero movies are well past and marvel and Disney should have had a backup plan. It's not just marvel either, star wars is in the same boat.

I think it's time to do Logan style movies and slash those budgets dramatically. I don't want to see any more colourful projectile style flashy movies with zero stakes.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Blue Beetle was unwatchable to me. Turned it off maybe 20 minutes in. The main character is fine but I just hated the sister character so much. Nails on chalkboard performance.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Not surprising. I can't think of a single part of the movie that I found to be impressive. It was a little entertaining, at least.

What? It was adults LIKE US (geeks and nerds) who fueled it! Not kids! Iron Man 1 was NOT for little kids! Neither was The Incredible Hulk or Captain America: The First Avenger.

Some of y'all need to stop lying... These were never stories for little kids! We're all geeks and nerds here! Many of us are comic book geeks!
Iron Man is good cinema, but it is the kiddos were the target not long after.

The progression is to grab 18-35, adults impress upon children, children make it an empire with a GDP greater than developing nations, children get tired of their parents shit and move on, only super fan left. We are here!

I guess the next big question is…Where does Hollywood go from here?!
If Barbie and Oppenheimer were huge hits and Super Hero movies aren’t making their budgets back, where do the studios pivot to? Go back to smaller budget movies that rely on practical effects and real locations?

Top Bottom