• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh5890

Agreed, his story to me is one of the more tragic ones. I hope we get to see more of him as well and I'd like to seem him get redemption at some point.

I think he's also one of the better actors on the show. He's gone through so much, as much if not more than a lot of other main characters and through the highs and lows his acting has been ridiculously convincing.

Edit: lol Smegol/Gollum.

I could see his character dying similar to Alec Guinness in Bridge on the River Kwai

Ridli

I don't think there's any ending for Theon that would be kinder than a swift, merciful death. He had his chances to get his revenge/escape. But Theon is dead and only Reek remains.

Loakum

Banned
Theon more than paid for his mistakes. Those Boltons man, they know their torture.

I agree. At this point Reek dying would be a mercy.

Yup, I'm past caring about what Theon did now. I want him to get some revenge.

that would be nice, but I don't see that happening. Theon is no more, and Reek is literally damaged goods.

gzcKam3.gif

HoodWinked

Gold Member
this episode was one of the weaker imo

so the plotline with arya and the house of black and white was really awkward. she was turned away but what purpose did that fill? i dont feel like anything significant occurred for Jaqen H'ghar to then accept her. (maybe he hates pigeons?)

the subplot with daenerys has alot of problems she goes back and forth over what to do with the sons of the harpy confining with advisors then when the slave kills the prisoner hastily decides to kill the slave in public execution makes no sense. then for the city to fall into riot when this is a city which celebrates its fighting pits is dumb.

also the subplot with breanne and pod finally meeting up with sanza is about the worst payoff i've ever.

Odd enough I actually like Ramsay. Boltons are not different than other families, their killing methods just happen to be more horrible, Theon main family are much bigger dipshits in my opinion.

Unrelated but I found this funny

a5PqWOo_460s.jpg

Welp...

Great episodes so many good bits:

-Dorne looks amazing as does Bravos
-Motherfucking Bronn is back (feared that was the end of his path
-Sam manning up was amazing
-Dany being less boring with the tease of heel turn
-Jaqen is back!!!!
-Drogon looking badass
-more mental maester hints

A lot seemed to get set up tonight and amazingly 2 of my favourite characters are back - which means they will die of course

kidko

so the plotline with arya and the house of black and white was really awkward. she was turned away but what purpose did that fill? i dont feel like anything significant occurred for Jaqen H'ghar to then accept her. (maybe he hates pigeons?)

She shows up like "help i don't have anywhere to go" and he's like "that all you got?"

Then it's the dudes she tells to fuck off after that. She shows zero fear when facing 3 full size dudes.

(Also the pigeon is tied to her being the dirty faced kid in King's Landing who could barely catch a pigeon when starving who's come so far as to effortlessly slay one with one swipe while dressed in all black and surviving on her own across the ocean without shedding a tear or moping about)

Nameless

Littlefinger might be fucked. Not only do two people outside his sphere of influence now know where Sansa is, who's she's with, and the general direction they're travelling, but Brienne drew a ton of attention by kneeling in in the middle of a packed tavern and loudly swearing allegiance to "Sansa Stark" and dead members of her traitorous House -- the same tavern where Hound and Arya slaughtered Lannister soldiers in the premiere last season . Details of what went down swiftly made their way to King's Landing then, right down to The Hound's "Fuck the King " barb. Luckily for Baelish, Varys and Tywin are no longer in play, so there's an outside chance this flies under the royal radar. Still, information is as good as gold in Westeros, especially now. If his plans weren't compromised already they certainly are now.

Littlefinger might be fucked. Not only do two people outside his sphere of influence now know where Sansa is, who's she's with, and the general direction they're travelling, but Brienne drew a ton of attention by kneeling in in the middle of a packed tavern and loudly swearing allegiance to "Sansa Stark" and dead members of her traitorous House -- the same tavern where Hound and Arya slaughtered Lannister soldiers in the premiere last season . Details of what went down swiftly made their way to King's Landing then, right down to The Hound's "Fuck the King " barb. Luckily for Baelish, Varys and Tywin are no longer in play, so there's an outside chance this flies under the royal radar. Still, information is as good as gold in Westeros, especially now. If his plans weren't compromised already they certainly are now.

That's some great little bit of speculation you've come up with. Hadn't even crossed my mind. I don't think that it matters that Varys and Tywin are no longer in play, this will definitely find it's way to the wrong people, but that could take a long time considering how it could get to them.

I still think Varys is in play though, just not from home base. He's got little birds everywhere.

Why didn't Brienne tell Sansa she'd seen Arya a few days ago? :(

Because fuck the fans that's why.

Nameless

Why didn't Brienne tell Sansa she'd seen Arya a few days ago? :(

I actually think that was the one smart move of Brienne's part since all it would have done is put Baelish on Arya's trail too. She asked to speak with Sansa in private so I'd imagine she would've mentioned Arya then.

That's some great little bit of speculation you've come up with. Hadn't even crossed my mind. I don't think that it matters that Varys and Tywin are no longer in play, this will definitely find it's way to the wrong people, but that could take a long time considering how it could get to them.

I still think Varys is in play though, just not from home base. He's got little birds everywhere.

Because fuck the fans that's why.

Yeah Varys could still get wind of the information, the only question is what he would do with it. If a peaceful realm led by Daeny(ha!) is the goal, I suppose Littlefinger would eventually need to be dealt with regardless.

It would be could if he could had told her Arya. But the next time the sister's meet, she is already a faceless assassin. And doesn't see herself as Arya.

Did anybody really talk about Qyburn wanting the killed dwarf's head? WTF is that about? That guy seems like bad news and it makes no sense that Cersai would have taken to him so quickly. I understand hating Pycelle, but this guy is going to cause some real shit, you can just tell.

televator

Did anybody really talk about Qyburn wanting the killed dwarf's head? WTF is that about? That guy seems like bad news and it makes no sense that Cersai would have taken to him so quickly. I understand hating Pycelle, but this guy is going to cause some real shit, you can just tell.

Cersei has an interest in magical weapons. She oversaw the keeping of that crazy green fire... what the fuck was it called? It's basically like Amaterasu from Naruto... but green. lol Shit was awesome.

Anyway, yeah, I think she has a legit interest in what that dark wizard dude (Qyburn) was up to.

Cersei has an interest in magical weapons. She oversaw the keeping of that crazy green fire... what the fuck was it called? It's basically like Amaterasu from Naruto... but green. lol Shit was awesome.

Anyway, yeah, I think she has a legit interest in what that dark wizard dude (Qyburn) was up to.

Wildfire.

I think Qyburn is just a kook and wanted to see what he could see.

I would assume that since Westeros is set in a time where they have no technology and the medical sciences are still so far off from advancing to where they could be. Maybe it's a way for him to be able to study a human brain which I see no harm in.

effzee

Once again after seeing Dorne , Bravos, and some of the other places I am left wondering why anyone gives a shit about Westeros.

Seriously, Danny and her dragons are alright but the rest of the cast in that place is terrible. I don't care about worm, or that old guy. Bring back lord friendzone, so we can have at least some ties to westeros.
Problem with Danny is that her story has stagnated considerably. She's having issues now, and she will control the dragons which in turn will make the people of Mareen respect/fear her by the end of the season. What will it matter? At the end, it's still about her going back home and barbecue subzero zombies.

Danny's story could have been interesting in Essos if she slowly turned just like the Mad King. Evil, batshit crazy burning people up and laughing just like her father. Though it seems that even if that storyline does happen in the series, it will be towards the end when she's already at Westeros, where it won't be necessary in terms of interest by that point.

Does anyone think that Danny won't be able to control the dragons (at least two) by the end of the season? I certainly expect it. Also, what kind of shady stuff is Margerye and Danny with their contracts to not show nudes? I'm fine if women don't want to be shown nude in TV, it makes perfect sense. Shitty character from both however, to become a staple in the show and then start demanding things that were required to get into the show. Not going to lie, I would have recast one of them and told the other you're next if you don't abide. It was embarrassing when Dario's ass was all over our face, and Danny is pretty much moving the sheets up to her neck. I'm not saying to cut the man stuff for the ladies, they need some fan service love here as well. Just Danny trying to cover her neck was fucking cringeworthy.

royalan

If we're going to talk about stagnant storylines, can we talk about Cersei?

She's done nothing but sit on her ass in King's Landing, getting drunk, and plotting over the same bullshit ("Kill the Imp! Protect my children!")for the past 3 seasons. She's not a character of her own at this point, she merely exists to react and serve as a visual for the misery that power can bring.

She's a terrible character who hasn't seen any significant growth since season 1, and this wouldn't be a problem if she didn't continue to get major screentime every episode.

Realize that. Meant the capital and all the drama that comes with it. Rest of the regions/world seems so much better.

How so? Winterfell just got ran out, and they are praying for the return of the Stark's. Over in Essos they have the whole slaves vs master thing.

Kingslanding has its political bull shit, but every area has its problem. We don't know what Dorne's problem yet but I'm guessing they aren't too happy with their king being such a "pussy" against KingsLanding for the death of Oberyn. I mean they were the only one that stood up to the Targeryn during the first invasion with dragons and shit. Then they stood by them afterwards even during Robert's rebellion. Seems like Dorne has always been the "I don't give a fuck imma do me" type of place, and now they have a king who's too scared to stand up to Kingslanding.

Not digging the first two episode which I just watched yesterday back-to-back. I might be wrong but it seems like the slowest start of any of the seasons so far.

Once again after seeing Dorne , Bravos, and some of the other places I am left wondering why anyone gives a shit about Westeros.

Yep, every city across the sea looks better to live in than Kings Landing.

Also, Highgarden and Dorne sound like they are nicer too.

How so? Winterfell just got ran out, and they are praying for the return of the Stark's. Over in Essos they have the whole slaves vs master thing.

Kingslanding has its political bull shit, but every area has its problem. We don't know what Dorne's problem yet but I'm guessing they aren't too happy with their king being such a "pussy" against KingsLanding for the death of Oberyn. I mean they were the only one that stood up to the Targeryn during the first invasion with dragons and shit. Then they stood by them afterwards even during Robert's rebellion. Seems like Dorne has always been the "I don't give a fuck imma do me" type of place, and now they have a king who's too scared to stand up to Kingslanding.

Can white walkers cross seas?

That's probably the best reason for getting out of Westeros if you lived there.

~Kinggi~

Banned
For the hell of it i watched the first episode again of s1. Then i searched out the very first gaf thread on it. Season premiere basically spanned 2 pages while it was live. Was adorable people realizing this was good.

demolitio

I feel like Arya is going to become an assassin and one of her targets is someone that she knows but has to do. I can't imagine they'd make her choose between her allegiance to the assassins and Sansa but it'd be cool if she had a part in killing Littlefinger or worse, LF tries to get an assassin to kill someone for him and they send Arya. :p

Regardless, I'm assuming Arya will never get a true reunion with her sister unless it's for something bad to happen...lol. She won't be Arya anymore once she becomes an assassin. I just hope she gets to kill some worthy people like Walder Frey but this show doesn't like to give you justice directly.

It feels pointless to wish for direct revenge but instead just enjoy the ride and hope they get their justice at the very end.

rambis

Banned

This is odd. The Vipers wife was saying the same shit and I didn't understand. He volunteered to fight for Tyrion. He had his fight won and couldn't help himself putting on a show. Whose fault is it exactly that he's dead?

I feel like Arya is going to become an assassin and one of her targets is someone that she knows but has to do. I can't imagine they'd make her choose between her allegiance to the assassins and Sansa but it'd be cool if she had a part in killing Littlefinger or worse, LF tries to get an assassin to kill someone for him and they send Arya. :p

Regardless, I'm assuming Arya will never get a true reunion with her sister unless it's for something bad to happen...lol. She won't be Arya anymore once she becomes an assassin. I just hope she gets to kill some worthy people like Walder Frey but this show doesn't like to give you justice directly.

It feels pointless to wish for direct revenge but instead just enjoy the ride and hope they get their justice at the very end.
That's an amazing plot point and a fantastic way to bring her back home. Would be interesting if she had to kill someone that's on the Starks' side, which seems terrifying.

This is odd. The Vipers wife was saying the same shit and I didn't understand. He volunteered to fight for Tyrion. He had his fight won and couldn't help himself putting on a show. Whose fault is it exactly that he's dead?

The only reason he volunteered in the first place was because the Mountain raped and killed his sisters/nieces. Oberyn was trying to get revenge thinking outside the box (conventional way is go to war straight up between Dorne vs Kings Landing) Think about that for a second... so the Lannister's goon raped/kill his sisters/nieces and then kill his brother for trying to get revenge. And then you're going to sit there and do nothing?

I'm not saying go to war (even Oberyn oppose of this and tried to find a loophole around it) with King's Landing but how the hell do you think the people of Dorne going to look at their king after that series of events? I don't see him playing any meaningful role in this story. He's either dead soon or a useless king that does nothing. He's not going to be playing any meaningful role like Stannis.

rambis

Banned
The only reason he volunteered in the first place was because the Mountain raped and killed his sisters/nieces. Oberyn was trying to get revenge thinking outside the box (conventional way is go to war straight up between Dorne vs Kings Landing) Think about that for a second... so the Lannister's goon raped/kill his sisters/nieces and then kill his brother for trying to get revenge. And then you're going to sit there and do nothing?

I'm not saying go to war (even Oberyn oppose of this and tried to find a loophole around it) with King's Landing but how the hell do you think the people of Dorne going to look at their king after that series of events? I don't see him playing any meaningful role in this story. He's either dead soon or a useless king that does nothing. He's not going to be playing any meaningful role like Stannis.
Well his beef is more with the Lannisters proper and not the crown.

I feel like is too manufactured a plot point. Common sense would say that the girls/children were on the wrong side of the war when Tywin stormed the capital, even if they didn't have a choice and it really couldn't be helped that they were slaughtered along with the Targs when there was a cleansing going on. But even if you must exact revenge, who would it be against? The Mountain, who is "dead"? Tywin, who has already kicked the bucket? The Viper used to be pretty assertive that his people are above murdering innocents, and even the Lord of Dorne seems to echo this.

It just doesn't make much sense to me that revenge would be so paramount now when they don't even know that the Mountain survived that encounter.

Yea but most people believe the Lannister runs the crown. You know the whole money thing, and yea as long as Cersi is alive the children of the Viper won't ever stop the beef with the Lannisters.

Not digging the first two episode which I just watched yesterday back-to-back. I might be wrong but it seems like the slowest start of any of the seasons so far.

Glad to see i'm not the only one. Don't get me wrong, the show is keeping my attention throughout as usual. The material and how it's produced is so high quality that it'd be hard not to be glued to the television. Still, the wait for a new season feels long enough and then when barely anything of note goes down, and were just darting from character to character, it does start to feel thin.

the subplot with daenerys has alot of problems she goes back and forth over what to do with the sons of the harpy confining with advisors then when the slave kills the prisoner hastily decides to kill the slave in public execution makes no sense. then for the city to fall into riot when this is a city which celebrates its fighting pits is dumb.

also the subplot with breanne and pod finally meeting up with sanza is about the worst payoff i've ever.

The Arya scenes this episode felt formulaic/predictable. Arya finally gets to a place, it would be too easy and fun to just be let in so she's turned away for some reason, roams the streets for a while, says some cool lines about death and dead men, then is finally let in. Tune in next week for what you thought you'd see this week.

I'm getting my fill of Daenery's clumsily learning to rule and it makes it even worse that she's losing more and more control over the one thing which made her great, dragons. You would have thought season's ago that at the age the Dragons are now, they would be factoring in in some way to the main plot instead of just being occasional decorations.

And the Brienne thread is becoming comical. Brienne: I'm here to protect you with my life. Stark Girl: No, thanks. Go away. (Stark girls companion attempts to have Brienne killed). It's hard to argue with Littlefingers logic, everyone she serves has died, and i'm not sure what Brienne even expects to do with Sansa if she were to go with her. If it's because of her vow then it's already failed since Arya wouldn't come.

Some good bits tho. Jon Snow getting promoted was cool and it was the one part I had, like an idiot, accidentally spoiled for myself on wikipedia years ago. Seeing Dorne and the water gardens was nice. I'm glad the actress who played Oberyn's girl is back. Looking forward to the adventures of Bronn and Jaime as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom