• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good episode. I'm a little worried about where they're headed with Sansa's arc as I'd rather not see her victimized by some cruel bastard again. Maybe she'll be capable of manipulating or controlling Ramsay though. That'd be interesting to watch.

That's just a rumor as far as most people know. Although Lancel is one of the sparrows and he does have some dirt on her that he even confronted her with in Ep1 (?). Iffy alliance for her IMO.

I was thinking that if Stannis takes over Winterfell, killing the Boltons, then Sansa will then take over Winterfell and rule the north as a Stark.

All the north will like it, and Stannis gets his allegiance in the north with Sansa ruling.

Ozium

really loved when ser allister thorne gave the other dude (can't remember his name) this "you are a fucking idiot" look and then when the men approached him to take him outside it seems like he's going to defend his buddy but then just steps aside with a "this is the what happens in the nightwatch" vibe

lol

Nzsu52I.jpg

Content Roundup: High Sparrow

Reviews and Recaps:[/B
AV Club (newbies)
Hitfix (Alan Sepinwall) Review
Grantland (Andy Greenwald) Recap
Rolling Stone Recap
Entertainment Weekly (James Hibberd) Recap
IGN Review
Washington Post Recap
Watchers Recap (Unsullied)

Interviews:
Kit Harington talks Jon's brutal decision
Sophie Turner on Sansa's New Monster

HBO Content:
HBO Viewers Guide
Inside the Episode
Kit Harington on Executing Janos Slynt
Arya's Service with the Faceless Men
Clip: Sansa's Proposal
Gwendoline Christie Interview
"Sons of the Harpy" Preview

This post will be linked in the OP.

demolitio

really loved when ser allister thorne gave the other dude (can't remember his name) this "you are a fucking idiot" look and then when the men approached him to take him outside it seems like he's going to defend his buddy but then just steps aside with a "this is the what happens in the nightwatch" vibe

lol

Yup. That was another great scene. The expressions in that scene were better than any dialogue they could have added and it's like Thorne finally gave in to the way things are going to be and knew better than to say or do anything there. I think he realized at that point that Jon isn't messing around and respected him more for how he handled it.

Basically, that scene was taking us all the way back to the first episode of the show where Ned gave his boys that lesson about leadership and doing the deed yourself because the law is above all else. Now, that might not be a good thing considering Ned's fate, but you could see the impact he had on Jon and how that differed from Dany's scene where she fucked up and couldn't even enact justice herself. Hell, she looked away and flinched.

A good way to show the difference in leadership and how Jon might be a bastard, but he learned to be a leader far better than Dany and many others on this show. He earned the respect of his peers and Stannis while doing what was right in the eyes of the law that they follow, while Dany is emotional and can't enforce the law while looking indecisive in front of the people she's supposed to lead.

Such a well done show. All the scenes come together for such a bigger picture, whether it be character development or the actual story that's progressing.

Jon is becoming one of my favorite characters, but that might also have to do with the fact that I don't think he's going to die anytime soon since his character is still evolving and becoming a bigger part in the bigger picture, especially with him getting more and more air-time in a show packed with 100 characters you're supposed to be following.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Oh I'm betting the house that Sansa has something up her sleeve. Besides, as much of a slimeball as Littlefinger is, he constantly talks about his love for Sansa's mother and he wants revenge for her death. He won't let anything happen to Sansa
but I have been wrong before.

I hope we're now in the "Sansa has been through some shit and has learned a lot" phase. I too wouldn't like it if she was made a victim at the hands of the Boltons. I'm ready for Sansa to enact some bloody vengeance.

Also Lancel got hot this season. Haircut, and he's clearly been working out.

Oh I'm betting the house that Sansa has something up her sleeve. Besides, as much of a slimeball as Littlefinger is, he constantly talks about his love for Sansa's mother and he wants revenge for her death. He won't let anything happen to Sansa
but I have been wrong before.

Eddard_and_Petyr_1x07.png

Yeah, real trustworthy fellow.

well Ned married the woman he loved so he had a lot of animosity towards him. I don't see him trying to pull something on Sansa....

I'm just pointing out how everything goes back to Littlefinger, all the way back to Jon Arryn and Ned Stark.

Maybe he did it just so he could be with Cat and didn't expect so much of it to snowball as a result, but it's hard to trust him to have Sansa in his best interest, even the slightest bit.

demolitio

I'm just pointing out how everything goes back to Littlefinger, all the way back to Jon Arryn and Ned Stark.

Maybe he did it just so he could be with Cat and didn't expect so much of it to snowball as a result, but it's hard to trust him to have Sansa in his best interest, even the slightest bit.

Agreed. I think he's got two parts to his character. One second, he's Petyr and views Sansa as a young Catelyn which gives him conflicting feelings. The next, he's Littlefinger and Sansa is just another pawn in the game of thrones.

Now he just sees as her as a way to get power in the North since he controls The Vale. For now, that means allying with the Boltons against the other families that want the throne and then if Sansa makes her move, he can be aligned with her and act like he was helping the North the entire time so he can be king while the Boltons take the blame for everything.

He still wants power, but he still goes about it indirectly. Sansa is just another piece to the puzzle despite him caring for her. In his eyes, I'm sure he thinks he can have them both in the end.

Yup. That was another great scene. The expressions in that scene were better than any dialogue they could have added and it's like Thorne finally gave in to the way things are going to be and knew better than to say or do anything there. I think he realized at that point that Jon isn't messing around and respected him more for how he handled it.

Basically, that scene was taking us all the way back to the first episode of the show where Ned gave his boys that lesson about leadership and doing the deed yourself because the law is above all else. Now, that might not be a good thing considering Ned's fate, but you could see the impact he had on Jon and how that differed from Dany's scene where she fucked up and couldn't even enact justice herself. Hell, she looked away and flinched.

A good way to show the difference in leadership and how Jon might be a bastard, but he learned to be a leader far better than Dany and many others on this show. He earned the respect of his peers and Stannis while doing what was right in the eyes of the law that they follow, while Dany is emotional and can't enforce the law while looking indecisive in front of the people she's supposed to lead.

Such a well done show. All the scenes come together for such a bigger picture, whether it be character development or the actual story that's progressing.

Jon is becoming one of my favorite characters, but that might also have to do with the fact that I don't think he's going to die anytime soon since his character is still evolving and becoming a bigger part in the bigger picture, especially with him getting more and more air-time in a show packed with 100 characters you're supposed to be following.

Yeah the facial expressions were great. When John started talking about building a latrine Thornes face was all here it comes, only to not be humiliated but recognized for his abilities.

Moaradin

Awesome episode. Is it me or is Jon Snow's storyline the most interesting right now? I've never hated the guy like some people, but his storyline has never been the one I was most interested in past seasons.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Caught up with the viewer count. Didn't expect to see Ep2 drop so far from Ep1.

Razmos

Episode 3 was probably one of the best episodes I've seen in the last few seasons. It's at the point now where it has surpassed my knowledge of the books and I'm finally starting to really enjoy the twists and turns.
Sansa being engaged to Ramsay Bolton threw me for a loop.

Question: I haven't played Telltale's Game of Thrones past episode 1. Was Myra Forrester (Margaery's handmaiden) there during the scene with Cersei? There were so many it was hard to tell.
I was almost expecting Ramsay to namedrop the Forresters.

Alpende

Awesome episode. Is it me or is Jon Snow's storyline the most interesting right now? I've never hated the guy like some people, but his storyline has never been the one I was most interested in past seasons.

I feel the same way. White Walkers that are marching up and wildlings running from them is pretty interesting. Mance Rayder was a compelling character too.

I also really like Tyrion's storyline in this. I can't wait to see him interact with Dany. Should be good.

Tythan

I really fear Littlefinger and Sansa. She still acts like a crying baby sometimes, but I think Boltons are going to have really bad days.

munchie64

Episode 3 was probably one of the best episodes I've seen in the last few seasons. It's at the point now where it has surpassed my knowledge of the books and I'm finally starting to really enjoy the twists and turns.
Sansa being engaged to Ramsay Bolton threw me for a loop.

Question: I haven't played Telltale's Game of Thrones past episode 1. Was Myra Forrester (Margaery's handmaiden) there during the scene with Cersei? There were so many it was hard to tell.
I was almost expecting Ramsay to namedrop the Forresters.
Well I assume that'd be a game spoiler, since it's still early Season 4 at episode 3. All the girls were certainly dressed like the game characters though.

Loakum

Banned

I have to say Arya's story with the Faceless men is the most interesting (IMO). However, I will admit Jon's story has come a long way, to be up there as one of the more interesting views of the season, so far. The Stark Girls and their bastard brother are my top 3 favorite storyarchs this season.

Nikodemos

I wonder if Ser Alliser will still hold a grudge against Jon. He's smart enough to realise all of what happened was part of Jon's plan to get rid of Slynt, one way or another. On the other hand, Slynt was a completely useless git, whose influence was corrosive on the overall morale of the Watch. Plus, the position of First Ranger is the highest he's ever held.

Also, it seems like Jon took the third option: he decided to keep one enemy close, and send the other one away (permanently, as things turned out).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wonder if Ser Alliser will still hold a grudge against Jon. He's smart enough to realise all of what happened was part of Jon's plan to get rid of Slynt, one way or another. On the other hand, Slynt was a completely useless git, whose influence was corrosive on the overall morale of the Watch. Plus, the position of First Ranger is the highest he's ever held.

Also, it seems like Jon took the third option: he decided to keep one enemy close, and send the other one away (permanently, as things turned out).

I don't think Ser Alliser is really his enemy. Before the battle, sure... but afterward, I think they achieved some form of mutual respect up there during the battle and all the tension since has been an awkward fallout from the stuff that happened before the battle. And this move will do well to sort them out. Alliser wanted to be Lord Commander but he didn't get the vote (a very important tie break witnessed by everyone) and he will fall in line. And now Jon gives him first ranger, which is basically the highest rank Jon can give him that isn't Lord Commander.

They good now.

I have to say Arya's story with the Faceless men is the most interesting (IMO). However, I will admit Jon's story has come a long way, to be up there as one of the more interesting views of the season, so far. The Stark Girls and their bastard brother are my top 3 favorite storyarchs this season.

While Arya's story is interesting I kind of want less of it because its the storyline that is going to take the longest to pay off. There is so much other stuff popping off right now I feel like 1 check in a episode would be enough.

While Arya's story is interesting I kind of want less of it because its the storyline that is going to take the longest to pay off. There is so much other stuff popping off right now I feel like 1 check in a episode would be enough.
While I am very interested in the storyline, I have a feeling they're going to drag it out which is really going to annoy me. Arya is my favorite and I enjoy her character, but her path post season 2 has been at snail's pace. I hope we get to see her heading back to Westeros in episode 10 but I have a feeling that won't happen until mid/end of next season. They took an entire episode just to let her in the House of Black and White. The padding (fluff) is real in her storyline.

Also two storylines that have went dead for some time. Reek's stupid family and The Brotherhood without Banners. I hope both make it into this season...

Curufinwe

This season is moving at a snails pace. Hugh.

3 episodes in and Sansa is already back at Winterfell getting ready to marry Ramsay Bolton, Jon is in command of the Nights Watch, Margaery has married and taken control of Tommen, and Jorah has kidnapped Tyrion to take her to Dany.

Turbo-Snail450.jpg

3 episodes in and Sansa is already back at Winterfell getting ready to marry Ramsay Bolton, Jon is in command of the Nights Watch, Margaery has married and taken control of Tommen, and Jorah has kidnapped Tyrion to take her to Dany.

Nothing has really changed much. Margaery finally being queen and Jon being commander is something that could've been settled in the first 30 min of the season. Jorah kidnapping is another "bold" step in the 80 days around the world journey of Tyrion. Sansa being set to marry Bolton is the only real development thus far.

Shit has turned into a talk show.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I still hate myself for not liking this show straight away, I watched season 1 and stopped but got back into it when people wouldn't shut up about it and I've loved it ever since.

I still hate myself for not liking this show straight away, I watched season 1 and stopped but got back into it when people wouldn't shut up about it and I've loved it ever since.

It took my GF 3 tries to get into it. The second try, she was on her phone facebooking and i was like, yo, if you don't put it down and pay attention you wont understand a thing. It escalated into an hour long fight.

Now? Shes more excited for Sunday nights than i am. How things have changed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I thought it was pretty clearly implied in the episode that Jon's devotion to duty earned a little of Alliser's respect, the way he stood aside.

Ogni-XR21

Just out of curiosity, did you people complaining about it moving too slow binge watch the earlier seasons or have you always been watching on a weekly basis?

This slow pace talk is total nonsense to me, I honestly can't tell where you guys are coming from.

Just out of curiosity, did you people complaining about it moving too slow binge watch the earlier seasons or have you always been watching on a weekly basis?

This slow pace talk is total nonsense to me, I honestly can't tell where you guys are coming from.

if anything, this season has been going at a nice and steady pace. The only thing I would agree with is with Arya's storyline, but clearly they're going for the mystical danielson-Mr. Miyagi thing and that's just going to take some time. The complaint strikes me as especially weird when the preview for the next episode was almost entirely action scenes, action scenes everywhere.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

It ain't actually slow. When you're drip-fed it might feel that way but nah. It's not slow. Things are good and setups are made.

Nothing has really changed much. Margaery finally being queen and Jon being commander is something that could've been settled in the first 30 min of the season. Jorah kidnapping is another "bold" step in the 80 days around the world journey of Tyrion. Sansa being set to marry Bolton is the only real development thus far.

This show has always been 8 episodes of development with 2 cliffhanger / crazy happenings episodes.

For some reason people seem to think this is an action show or something, its not. It's a political show, like House of Cards, with the occassional big battle or occassional fight or whatever.

Curufinwe

You have bizarre and unrealistic expectations.

Edwardo

Wait....which Queen is Jorah referring to?

Ok.. so I really think it's Dany and the line, "I'm taking you to the queen" is just in there to shock some people into thinking he's taking him to King's Landing, but I was thinking..

What if Jorah acutally does bring Tyrion to King's Landing. Cersei is offering a lordship for whoever brings Tyrion's head to her. Jorah could have his slate wiped clean. I doubt he's moved on from Dany, but what if he has? That would be pretty crazy. Especially with how the show likes to destroy things that people love.

Ok.. so I really think it's Dany and the line, "I'm taking you to the queen" is just in there to shock some people into thinking he's taking him to King's Landing, but I was thinking..

What if Jorah acutally does bring Tyrion to King's Landing. Cersei is offering a lordship for whoever brings Tyrion's head to her. Jorah could have his slate wiped clean. I doubt he's moved on from Dany, but what if he has? That would be pretty crazy. Especially with how the show likes to destroy things that people love.
he has nothing to gain out of going back to King's Landing.

He has something to gain by bringing the a Lion to his Queen of Dragons, showing that ultimately he is loyal to her and her only and is greatly sorry for betraying her trust

This show has always been 8 episodes of development with 2 cliffhanger / crazy happenings episodes.

For some reason people seem to think this is an action show or something, its not. It's a political show, like House of Cards, with the occassional big battle or occassional fight or whatever.

Yes I'm sure "people" seem to think that. I know exactly what this show is though, thank you very much.

House Cards has a faster pace.

You have bizarre and unrealistic expectations.

Beats lowered expectations.

So what did you mean by this?

For example, after 4 years of development I don't need to spend so much time following Tyrion feel sorry for himself before he finally arrives at the feet of the dragon lady and fulfills the role he has been "training" for.

I also think there's a curiously lack of threat after all that has happened. I feel like I'm being revealed nothing about these characters that I didn't already know, nor do I see anything being set up that wasn't already set up last season.

Can't speak to how it compares to the books, but I smell writer's fatigue.

I'm sorta bummed that Varys (and Tyrion by proxy) thinks Dany is the queen worthy of their allegience. We all know that onetrueking is Stannis. I would also vote for Stannis over Dany when it comes to ruling. He has much more experience and has governed his country through thick and thin. He'd make an effective king.

If Stannis, Jon Snow, Varys and Tyrion team up, it will be the A-Team of the century. Sucks that Varys and Tyrion have to go to Mereen and baby Danaerys.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It ain't actually slow. When you're drip-fed it might feel that way but nah. It's not slow. Things are good and setups are made.
The issue with this season is that there are multiple players spread out across the entire world and their motivations seem fairly obscure at the moment or their role is obscure. In previous seasons the 'action' was focused on the iron throne, which seems to have dwindled in importance recently. Littlefinger is hinting at some type of conquest, however his machinations are all set-up for a plan we can't quite see yet. Aria obviously has a role to play, but it is hard to figure out what that will be. Dany no longer seems particularly eager to gain the iron throne, she is rooted in one spot. Stannis has plans for taking the north but doesn't seem to have the ability to do so. The Martells and the Tyrrells have some role to play but again it is hard to figure out what.
With this much in play though at some point the dominoes will fall.

The issue with this season is that there are multiple players spread out across the entire world and their motivations seem fairly obscure at the moment or their role is obscure. In previous seasons the 'action' was focused on the iron throne, which seems to have dwindled in importance recently. Littlefinger is hinting at some type of conquest, however his machinations are all set-up for a plan we can't quite see yet. Aria obviously has a role to play, but it is hard to figure out what that will be. Dany no longer seems particularly eager to gain the iron throne, she is rooted in one spot. Stannis has plans for taking the north but doesn't seem to have the ability to do so. The Martells and the Tyrrells have some role to play but again it is hard to figure out what.
The previous season also benefitted from the absolutely stellar Oberyn. His screen presence was electrifying and dude had mad swagger. This season, the new character seems to be Oberyn's brother who is the ruler of high gardens. He seems alright but he doesn't seem to be a dynamo like his brother. Hopefully we learn more about him and I'm hoping he is not this season's tragic figure like his brother lol. Dude seems alright.

I don't see how Stannis wouldn't be able to take over the North. Stannis has 100,000 men and Robb had 20,000 with the entire North behind him. 2,000 were killed (sacrificed) when he punked Tywin and owned Jaime. A few thousand were killed during the Red Wedding. Assuming that the entire North is not going to help Roose in this war, he shouldn't much of an army. In an open battle, he would get crushed. Stannis' endgame is KL and he wants as few casualties as possibilities to get it done.

Reek stated that 500 men can hold off Winterfell. I think Roose and Co. are at Moat Cailin which I imagine will still make it really hard to take over. The worst thing that can happen at this point Brianne killing Stanning, adding to her resumes of failures. However I believe Stannis will actually be King before he gets killed. This battle will go one of two ways. Either Stannis will have some brilliant plan to take over the castle, or Sansa will fuck up the Boltons from the inside making Stannis' job much easier (have Northerners open the gate and blindside the Boltons, who knows).

I hope this battle doesn't happen at episode 8 or 9 but happens a bit earlier. I'd like Stannis to move towards KL by the end of the season. Also where is the black pirate guy, he was awesome (Davos' friend). Hope to see him a few times this season.

I was thinking that if Stannis takes over Winterfell, killing the Boltons, then Sansa will then take over Winterfell and rule the north as a Stark.

All the north will like it, and Stannis gets his allegiance in the north with Sansa ruling.

Sounds great, Sansa just have to wait it out. Be all friendly and smiles around Ramsey, then when stannis comes. She will be free.

Sounds so good in fact, that in sure something awful is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom