• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 gameplay from YouTubers from CDPR event

Tankshell

Has the price just dropped on Steam (UK)? Was £39.99, now showing £34.99 on my copy of Steam. Added it to my cart just in case it goes back up again (if its a pricing mistake)...

cresto

Im chomping at the bit here to get more ENG content. Damn it why is May 18 so far off? The game unlocks at 6 PM local time May 18th for me. GunBgewd

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Take my money CDPR, but don't expect that I will buy Expansion Pass as well (will probably wait for price drop - at least 40%, not less).

kumjfd.jpg

P.S. Thank god there is an option to turn off all UI which takes up too much space on the screen. Rearrangement of the UI could be a nice option too.

Tovarisc

Redditor made rough highlight translation for Remigiusz Maciaszek 2nd video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL3U7dJq9zk

Translation;
  • To unlock second line/tier of skills you need to spend 8 points in that tree, 20 for third line, 30 for fourth.
  • Mutagens synergies with 3 skills equiped next to it, of same color (green with green, red with red), multiplying effect of that mutagen.
  • Abilities skill tree is extreme powerful (I'll translate all skills)
  • There are 70 skills, and only 12 slots for skills. So choose wisely, which skills you want to have equipped.
  • You can reset your abilities, at any time, with elixir which you need to buy.
  • Skill and mutagen slots are unlocked while getting character levels (it's progressive).
Swordsmanship(Red):
1. Fast Attack:
  • Muscle Memory: Damage of fast attack is increased by 5%. Adrenaline generation +1%
  • Precise Cuts: Increases critical chance of fast attacks by 2% and their damage by 15%. Adrenaline generation +1%
  • Whirlwind: Continious attack aimed for all enemies around Geralt. Unkeeping this skill drains Vigor/Endurance, if depleted drains Adrenaline. Adrenaline generation +1%
  • Mutilation: Inflicts bleeding effect to enemy, which deals 25 damage per second. Durration 5 seconds. Adrenaline generation +1%
2. Strong Attack (allows to use Strong Attacks, which ignores enemy armor):
  • Strenght Training: Damage of strong attack is increased by 5%. Adrenaline generation +1%
  • Crushing Blow:) Increases critical chance of strong attacks by 2% and their damage by 15%. Adrenaline generation +1%
  • Cleave: Inflics increased damage in proportion to used Endurance/Vigor. Ignores enemy defence and increases critical chance by 10%. Adrenaline generation +1%
  • Fulminant Strike: Reduces enemy defence by 5%. Adrenaline generation +1%
3. Defence:
  • Arrow deflection: Parrying allow to deflect arrows. Adrenaline generation +1%
  • Footwork: Reduces damage taken while dodging. Adrenaline generation +1%
  • Riposte: Next attack after succesfull counterattack deals increased damage by +30% for every level of skill. Adrenaline generation +1%
  • Deadly Precision: Every point of adrenaline increases your instant kill chance by 1%. Adrenaline generation +1%
4. Shooting Training
  • Reflex: Slow time effect while aiming with crossbow is increased by 15%. Adrenaline generation +1%
  • Cold blood: Every successful hit with crossbow generates 0,04 adrenaline points. Adrenaline generation +1%
  • Snowledge of anatomy: Increases critical chance by +5%. Adrenaline generation +1%
  • Sore point: Critical hits from crossbow disables monster special abilities for 5 seconds. Adrenaline generation +1%
5. Battlecry Battle focus (Melee attacks generates adrenaline. Every adrenaline point increases melee damage by 10%)
  • Focus: Reduction of adrenaline while taking damage is reduced by 20%. Adrenaline generation +1%
Magic/Signs (Blue)
1. Igni
  • (Can't read name) Dealing damage with igni, permanently reduces enemy armor. Effect scales with Sign Intensification
Alchemy (Green)
1. Potions/elixirs
  • Increased Tollerance: Increases elixir tolerance by 1%. Elixir duration +5%
  • Renewal: Every dose of elixir drunk heals for 5% maximum health (25% at max lvl of this skill) Elixir duration +5%
  • Delayed decay(3): Effects of consumed elixirs don't disappear, while toxicity level stays above 90%. Elixir duration +5%
  • Side effect(5): Consuming elixir gives 20% chance to activate effect of another random elixir, without additional elixir. Elixir duration +5%
2. Oils
  • Poisoned Blade: Oil applied on the sword causes, that in every strike there is 10% chance of poisoning enemy. Higher level oils increases poisoning chance. Elixir duration +5%
  • Deterrence: Gives +5% defence from monster of target kind. Elixir duration +5%
  • Fixative(3): You can hit with your sword 33% more times before applied oil wears off. Elixir duration +5%
  • Hunter's Instinct(5): With maximum adrenaline, critical damage dealt to monster vurnerable to oil is increased by 20%. Elixir duration +5%
3. Bombs
  • Accurate Shot: Slow time effect while aiming with bombs is increased by 15%. Elixir duration +5%
  • Pyrotechnics(5): Bombs, which normally doesn't deal any damage, besides normal effect deals 30 damage

• Optimization(5): Increases maximum number of bombs in every bomb slot by 1. Elixir duration +5%
  • Cluster Bombs(5): After detonation, Bomb splts into separate explosive fragments. Number of fragments: 5. Elixir durration +5%
4. Mutation
  • Acquired resistance: Every known level 1 alchemical recipe, increases elixir tolerance by 1. Elixir duration +5%
  • Tissue Transformation(1/5): For every consumed Decoction, maximum health is increased by 200, while under it's effect(multiplies by number of Decotions active at same time). Elixir duration +5%
  • Synergy(5): Increases bonuses from Mutagens in Mutagen slots by 10% (it's even more strange written in polish), Elixir duration +5%
  • Adaptation(5): Increases duration of consumed Decoction by 10%. Elixir duration +5%
5. Trial of Grass
  • Clarity of Mind: Time slows down when Witcher is poisoned by elixirs while counterattacking. Elixir duration +5%
  • Pain resistance(5): Increases maximum health by 10%, if toxicity exceeds the safe threshold
  • Fast metabolism(5): Toxicity from elixir reduces faster by 1 point, every second. Elixir duration +5%
  • Bloody Fury(5); While under of elixir toxicity, every killed enemy increases chance of critical striking next enemy. Elixir duration +5%
4.Abilities(white/yellow)
  • Circadian rhythm(1): At day health regeneration when out of combat is increased by 10. At night regeneration of vigor/endurance in combat is increased by 1
  • Survival instinct(1): Increases maximum health points by 500
  • Techniques of Feline School(1): Increases your fast attack critical damage by 25% and damage by 5% for every part of light armor you wear
  • Techniques of Gryphin School(1): Increases your Sign intensivity by 5% and vigor/endurance regeneration by 5% for every part of medium armor you wear
  • Techniques of Bear School(1): Increases your strong attack 5% and maximum health by 5% for every part of heavy armor you wear
  • Metabolism control(1): Increases your maximum toxicity by 30
  • Focus(1): Adrenaline points also increases your Signs damage

Got these videos qued up. I'll probably spend the next three weeks watching them.

I can't find the numbers for GTA V, but if you want to do comparisons:

ArmA 2 (and by extension Day Z) = 180 km2

ArmA 3 Stratis = 20km2
ArmA 3 Altis = 275 km2

A note. Those Arma numbers are only the land, not counting water. For example Arma 2 is 220 km2 with water, and Altis even more as it has more water, something like 350km2 (given the weird shape of the island).

If you want to compare it, then you also would have to subtract 50% of the size of the Skellige islands map.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Got bored, decided to whip up a "the basics" recap infograph of the setting, factions, and Geralt's journey for those who are entering Wild Hunt as their first Witcher game.

Hope nobody minds me posting here.

Philippo

That night storm, so good.

eidt: great write-up EatChildren, will help lots of people. Always loved the idea of the Conjunction of the Spheres.
Bearded Geralt forever

Tovarisc

Got bored, decided to whip up a "the basics" recap infograph of the setting, factions, and Geralt's journey for those who are entering Wild Hunt as their first Witcher game.

This is must have write up for OT, if you aren't making OT please make sure that creator knows that this exists. Great stuff.

SJRB

Gold Member

Most welcome. I'm reading the books and the political factions are still confusing as hell to me.

UrbanRats

I'd like to have detailed info on the HUD customization, because so far it's the only thing that's really turning me off.
It looks like a damn MMO, with all that useless crap on screen (i don't need to know what every button does at all times, or what my objective is, or even have a damn minimap).

I know you can customize it, but i'd like to know to what extent, i expect more than a "on/off" switch for the whole thing.

red36

Neo Member
I'd like to have detailed info on the HUD customization, because so far it's the only thing that's really turning me off.
It looks like a damn MMO, with all that useless crap on screen (i don't need to know what every button does at all times, or what my objective is, or even have a damn minimap).

I know you can customize it, but i'd like to know to what extent, i expect more than a "on/off" switch for the whole thing.

There are several screen grabs in this thread that show the options. TLDR everything can be scaled and toggled on and off.

As someone who hasn't played any Witcher game this is great! Thanks for the quick story summary!

Great write-up, sure it will help many people. Although Scoia'tael do not exactly fight against discrimination, they're pretty racist themselves. I found the conversations with Cedric in The Witcher 2 really interesting concerning that topic. Anyway that is just nit-picking but it does tie in with the whole 'lesser of two evils' theme that runs throughout all of the games.

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed to fit the rest of the pieces together!
Now that I know what's going on thats gonna help a lot with the choices I make.

red36

Neo Member
Great write-up, sure it will help many people. Although Scoia'tael do not exactly fight against discrimination, they're pretty racist themselves. I found the conversations with Cedric in The Witcher 2 really interesting concerning that topic.

Yes, I forget if Cedric notes it, but it's also worth remembering (in general) that elves are only fertile in their youth and that often the Scoia'tael recruit from those same young people. The Scoia'tael are often doing more damage to their race by reducing their population size with war. If they simply incubated in peace for several hundred years they could re-assert their power.

Also for the infographic, it might be worth noting that Niflgaardians aren't as racist, but do attempt to control magic. Side note: personally I see them more as a combo of Soviet Russia and maybe Nazi Germany than ancient Rome.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Man, Russian sounds so badass perfect for this game!
I don't think most of the fellow gaffers here know about this, but russian localizations right now for the most part suck, especially if publishers decides to also add russian VO (localization of Dragon Age: Origins and first Mass Effect for example was just terrible in almost every way). Believe me, I know cuz I live in Russia. But back in mid 2000s there were at least two very good companies who localized western games with not only subtitles but VO as well (Софт Клаб which is now 1C-СофтКлаб - only a shadow of its former self, and Russobit-M which no longer exists as a games publisher) and this was a true golden age of russian localizations, there was just outstanding and very atmospheric localizations of WarCraft III, Ghotic and many other classic games). So, my point is - The Witcher games is truly the best russian localizations available in my country, and I'm telling this as a man who 99% of time plays games on english (thank god I know the language well enough) because of shitty russian localizations, and as a man who will play the game with russian subtitles and VO cuz russian localization is that damn good.

Xando

The Rocketbeans video is pretty good, it also has a great interview with the german level designer. If you speak german i can really recommend it.

Fantastic job, EatChildren. It's beautiful, and a good crash course for the Witcher; should probably end up in the Wild Hunt OP.

You should be bored more often, I think.

CD Projekt & The Witcher are going to show everyone how video game trilogies are done.
I hope!

gossi

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Will be using this as a reference. Anyone have a good, in-depth summary to watch as well? I want to make sure I'm decently well versed on lore.

sublimit

Banned
I don't think most of the fellow gaffers here know about this, but russian localizations right now for the most part suck, especially if publishers decides to also add russian VO (localization of Dragon Age: Origns and first Mass Effect for example was just terrible in almost every way). Believe me, I know cuz I live in Russia. But back in mid 2000s there were at least two very good companies who localized western games with not only subtitles but VO as well (Софт Клаб which is now 1C-СофтКлаб - only a shadow of its former self, and Russobit-M which no longer exists as a games publisher) and this was a true golden age of russian localizations, there was just outstanding and very atmospheric localizations of WarCraft III, Ghotic and many other classic games). So, my point is - The Witcher games is truly the best russian localizations available in my country, and I'm telling this as a man who 99% of time plays games on english (thank god I know the language well enough) because of shitty russian localizations, and as a man who will play the game with russian subtitles and VO cuz russian localization is that damn good.

Interesting!I'm curious are the Witcher games popular in Russia?I would love an RPG that is based on Russian folklore and especially if it was made by Russian devs.I think the Witcher games are the closest we got to that so far (but still have a lot of western fantasy archetypes).

tuxfool

Banned

Really Nice chart.

It should go in the OT when it goes up, BTW there is a small typo in the Sorcerers & Sorceresses, the word "learned" and another in "reunited" in the journey so far (first box).

Top Bottom