• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 Predictions & Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no one worth admiring. I am a punished parrot and forever branded. Your heroes are in another castle.

On topic:
I don't think this will be a Destiny type DLC offering - for one explicit reason- COD makes too much money on Xbox as a brand. I can imagine DLC exclusivity for a few weeks, a "the only place for 1080p/60 fps" statement, and some random skins/guns- and that's it.

Well you have my respect regardless...

As for the deal you mentioned if that's the case then perhaps, just perhaps, Sony did it for more strategic reasons since again it's so intrinsically linked with the XB platform.

vpance

Post holidays to date, Sony must have went on a money hatting spree. The timing was good since MS had to have still been reeling from the firesales and efforts to clear out the channel stuffing.

MS: Open with CoD (don't believe they can let their baby go), close off with Gears 4 CGI teaser.

Ninty: Open with splatoon, close off with Starfox gameplay.

Sony: Open with montage/Street Fighter V, close off with Horizon gameplay debut from Guerilla.

MS: We'll see. COD is going to sell better on PS4 just due to user base I think. Gears yeah. I'm sure they will have something new. Price cut...

Ninty: Splatoon will already be out. I think it will be a lot of Star Fox and 3DS games. New platform reveal would be shocking

Sony: Huge smorgasbord as usual. Morpheus stuff will be shown, Uncharted, No Mans Sky, MGS5, Ratchet & Clank. either open or close with Battlefield.

IF sony were to show off GT7, it would be at E3 (assuming it's ready to be shown). It would make the most noise there and people would be talking about it. Then you can have some sort of demo or additional reveals at gamescom and tgs.

I dont see level 5's game shown here. If they do, its due to a lack of first party presence so theyll try to fill the show. But that game screams ths. Especially while sony is trying to stimulate ps4 sales in japan.

I dont see many ofbthe european studios showing stuff off at e3. Maybe Guerilla Games since they have been working on new game for a long time and they a large presence in the west. I see media molecule and other studios showing their games at gamescom this year.

For me, i see e3 for sony this year as uncharted, more SF5 info, GG, GT7 announcement, third party games, maybe GOW trailer and probably one more unannounced game. The elephant in the room is obviously the last guardian. Sony has gone out of their way to repeat that the game is not dead. IF (a big if) the game is alive, would it be served best at e3 or tgs? I think they have to show gameplay if the game exists. Another trailer would cause people to question it.

Jigolo

Well if we think about it we probably already know most of SE's conference based off what they've shown & said so far.

I'm going to guess the conference is under 1 hr long but I'm pretty sure this is what we'll get based off all the info we have.

- Dues Ex gameplay
- Just Cause 3 gameplay
- Short FF14 expansion launch trailer
- Short FF15 something (Tabata confirmed this)
- New Hitman
- a surprise title
- the showstopper: Kingdom Hearts 3 (Nomura said in the 2.5 event we will see more this year)

Adachi

Banned
IF sony were to show off GT7, it would be at E3 (assuming it's ready to be shown). It would make the most noise there and people would be talking about it. Then you can have some sort of demo or additional reveals at gamescom and tgs.

I dont see level 5's game shown here. If they do, its due to a lack of first party presence so theyll try to fill the show. But that game screams ths. Especially while sony is trying to stimulate ps4 sales in japan.

I dont see many ofbthe european studios showing stuff off at e3. Maybe Guerilla Games since they have been working on new game for a long time and they a large presence in the west. I see media molecule and other studios showing their games at gamescom this year.

For me, i see e3 for sony this year as uncharted, more SF5 info, GG, GT7 announcement, third party games, maybe GOW trailer and probably one more unannounced game. The elephant in the room is obviously the last guardian. Sony has gone out of their way to repeat that the game is not dead. IF (a big if) the game is alive, would it be served best at e3 or tgs? I think they have to show gameplay if the game exists. Another trailer would cause people to question it.

The Level 5 game has been announced for E3 months ago.

Salex_

I wonder if they'll show Gravity Rush 2 here? Toyama said we'll see the game this year, but there's no hint about which event. Would be cool if it was shown at E3 after announcing the Gravity Rush remaster.
Level 5 seems to be a better fit for TGS or GamesCom.

Level-5's PS4 game is already confirmed for a E3 reveal.

thuway

They need them this year, they really don't have anything bigger

Need what exactly? Exclusives?

Last I checked, PS4 is selling better than any console on the market. This - "it must be exclusive to be relevant" notion is getting ridiculous. There is a bigger danger of showing off something too early and it looking nothing like the final product. It's better to not show anything than to show something to a lukewarm or a dejected reception.

And to deconstruct it further, there are an enormous amount of exclusives hitting this year from Everybody's Gone to the Rapture to No Man's Sky.

FluxWaveZ

Well honestly I have no idea if they'll be at any conference, but I read that they're bringing a PS4 RPG to E3 among others.

http://personacentral.com/atlus-to-show-off-a-playstation-4-rpg-at-e3-2015/

Are you talking about an announced Square RPG or a new one? Haven't heard anything about that, especially since Square now has their own conference.

It's a bummer that the possibility of Persona 5 being at the Sony conference is strongly doubtful. It could create such a huge splash. The crowd reactions at simply the P5 logo popping up at PlayStation Experience 2014 proves as much.

sora87

I wouldn't call Sony's line up for the rest of the year enormous. MS are gonna go for it this year, probably price drop again, and Sony need to bring their A game. They can't get lazy again.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I wouldn't call Sony's line up for the rest of the year enormous. MS are gonna go for it this year, probably price drop again, and Sony need to bring their A game. They can't get lazy again.
You say "again" which means you believe they have been lazy before. Their current strategy is very successful so why wouldn't they continue their very successful strategy?

Post holidays to date, Sony must have went on a money hatting spree. The timing was good since MS had to have still been reeling from the firesales and efforts to clear out the channel stuffing.
I'd prefer that moneyhatting to be spent more on published games and expanding 1st party studios. It seems like they're spending money on both though which is good.

Adachi

Banned

"Lazy"..yeah that's what it is, Sonys devs are just sitting on their asses doing nothing thinking that they don't have to release their games anyway.

Salex_

There's no mainstream massive marketing budget "AAA" exclusive as of right now because Uncharted 4 was delayed, but there's still plenty of games coming out in the second half of the year.

Persona 5, Ratchet & Clank, Dragon Quest Heroes, The Tomorrow Children, Everybody's Gone to Rapture, Rime, Until Dawn, Tearaway Unfolded, etc.

The only company out of the big 3 with a game that fits that description right now is MS with Halo 5. That doesn't mean everything else isn't irrelevant though. For consumers, if a game turns out to be good, it should be highlighted.
It's Wonder Flick isn't it :(, fuck why do you do this? :'(.

There goes all hope and dreams.

Wonder Flick was already announced.
And Salex, I do hope Persona 5 makes this year, that'd make it all ok for me. That and Rime.

Altus has confirmed a 2015 NA release at different times throughout the last 12 months. E3 is the "final" confirmation we need to make sure it's coming out this year. Either that or when Persona 4 dancing comes out and we find out what's in the bonus package.

sora87

"Lazy"..yeah that's what it is, Sonys devs are just sitting on their asses doing nothing thinking that they don't have to release their games anyway.

I do wonder what the hold up is, they were saying how the PS4 would make development easier but so far it doesn't seem that way.

And Salex, I do hope Persona 5 makes this year, that'd make it all ok for me. That and Rime.

thuway

I'm going to lol when Level-5's game is eventually shown. The reactions should be hilarious to read.

I do wonder what the hold up is, they were saying how the PS4 would make development easier but so far it doesn't seem that way.

Are you familiar with the term: "Sony Cycle"? Sony historically stalls the first few years in terms of first party output in the first few years. It wasn't until E3 2009 that we saw the first "true" potential of PS3's first party studios. I imagine it'll be similar this gen.

AdanVC

Today marks exactly one year since Nintendo announced it's super awesome "Play Nintendo" event for E3, with Reggie-Fils-A-Mech and Mega64... I wonder if they will release something similar for a preview for this years E3. The return of Fils-A-Mech would be awesome.

I'm going to lol when Level-5's game is eventually shown. The reactions should be hilarious to read.

tumblr_m70urhHvIM1rziwwco1_r1_500.gif

Nope, don't believe you. Won't believe you until I have to. Level 5 will make an epic PS4 JRPG. DON'T FUCK WITH THAT

And to deconstruct it further, there are an enormous amount of exclusives hitting this year from Everybody's Gone to the Rapture to No Man's Sky.

Lot's of big hopes with those games vs Halo, TR and Forza.

Nice to see you back. Girlfriends take you away from nerdy fun stuff at times. I heard you got tied down!

sora87

Are you familiar with the term: "Sony Cycle"? Sony historically stalls the first few years in terms of first party output in the first few years. It wasn't until E3 2009 that we saw the first "true" potential of PS3's first party studios. I imagine it'll be similar this gen.

I doubt Sony would give stage time to Wonder Flick, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be Ni No Kuni 2 considering how well the first one did.

And now you mention it I guess that is how it went with the first few years of the PS3, we were so spoiled by their output in the last 4 years of the PS3 I guess I just expected them to keep that pace up.

What does everyone think they could have then that would rival GT7 or TLG for that marque wow moment?

Conduit

Banned

LOL @Lazy!!! You have bunch of other games. I wouldn't call Sony a lazy. Ask Microsoft what they have from January till October? Only Holiday does matter???

Verendus

Banned
What I meant was I expect good GAF reactions, not that that I'm going to laugh at you. I can laugh about good things too. Laughter is usually a positive thing.

Do you think they'd debut a game at E3, and it'd just be something no one wanted? Would something like that really happen? Is that possible?

Servbot24

Banned

We should visit the dev studios and whip them into shape. They obviously don't know what they're doing.

Or maybe we should just tell them to release their games half-finished so that we can brag about their holiday line-up on GAF (which is so much more important than the rest of the year! Spring games aren't real games.)

Do you really think they'd debut a game at E3, and it'd just be something no one wanted? Would something like that really happen?
Absolutely. :(

Boke1879

MS can't just continually drop the price and for the most part we know their lineup for the rest of the year. Halo will be the big title and Gears 1 will be revealed. I think both Sony and Ms are in a strong position this holiday. With exclusives, marketing deals and potential bundle opportunities.

Heartfyre

What I meant was I expect good GAF reactions, not that that I'm going to laugh at you. I can laugh about good things too. Laughter is usually a positive thing.

Do you think they'd debut a game at E3, and it'd just be something no one wanted? Would something like that really happen? Is that possible?

Reinforcing my Dark Cloud 3 hopes and dreams, then! :D

It's always a rollercoaster of emotions with you, Verendus.

Ah, thanks for clarifying, Verendus. Though I'm going to approach each conference with a clean slate after learning the hard way on PSX (it was still really good, but also taught me that my expectations were way too high >_<)

thuway

Lot's of big hopes with those games vs Halo, TR and Forza.

Nice to see you back. Girlfriends take you away from nerdy fun stuff at times. I heard you got tied down!

No doubt Microsoft has the bigger AAA announcements and releases this year, but to claim Sony is being "lazy" or laconic in any sense of the word is a gross understatement. The first parties are more or less hammering away, and the typical Sony fashion of coming late to the party is in "order".

And to the second part- how did you know about that :)? Only here temporarily I'm afraid, I'll be off pretty soon, but I catch up on GAF whenever the free time.

Adachi

Banned

Even if it does, people are still expecting more from games nowadays, don't you see how often completely meaningless terms like "this is lacking next gen gameplay" or so are thrown around or how games that 5 years ago would have still been received at least decently are now completely ripped apart? (The Order 1886 would have definitely gotten a better score back then) or how games that used to score great are now being critiqued way harder due to fatigue (LBP 3 for example)?

I think it's no wonder that the pressure for studios under these conditions is way higher than it probably ever was, a studio like ND for example must be dealing with a ton of pressure as the public expects them to deliver one masterpiece after the other, so I'm really not surprised that so many games are pushed back and I do commend Sony for actually letting ND do that, after all they could have just forced the game to come out this year (something a lot of publishers aren't shying away from either).

The thing that annoys me is that games are shown of too early and that release dates are announced too early, but with people constantly crying things like "X must really deliver with this conference" I'm honestly not even surprised by that.

Verendus

Banned
Absolutely. :(
White Knight Chronicles was pretty bad, so I can understand this. You never really know until you play a game, and they are a bit hit and miss. Their work on home consoles, I think, hasn't been great since the PS2. Still, I have expectations.

I gotta balee dat.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Gonna spread myself thin here, do a few for each conference.

Let's start with the supporting conferences:

Bethesda (The Opener)

- Fallout 4, PS4/One/PC, scheduled for this holiday season, the VATS system has been radically redesigned.
- Dishonoured 2, scheduled for Summer 2016
- Prey 2 is back, we see a brief glimpse of it and it gets no estimated release

Square Enix (The Unexpected)

- Kingdom Hearts 3, we see Frozen, we see Star Wars, it looks incredible.
- "Kingdom Hearts (1+2)^2" Collection for One/PS4
- Just Cause 3 has a very long demo on-stage, someone makes an unnecessary comment about the lack of multiplayer being a good thing
- Rise of the Tomb Raider still doesn't have enough tombs
- Deus Ex is their finale, the whole demo is non-combat
- (Inspired by Bloodworth) Square Enix Toys to Life models called "Squeenix's"
- Hitman Go2

Ubisoft (The Dark Horse)

- Too much Assassin's Creed
- Aisha Tyler is back, and cameoing in another game
- An ill-timed Rocksmith title is announced
- "Rayman Eras" has each world taking place in a different art style: Impressionist, Art Nouveau, Cubic, Futurist, Surrealist, Pop-Art
- Watch_Dogs_2 fools no one
- They do that "Look at everyone playing the game on-stage" thing with Rainbow Six Seige
- Beyond Good & Evil 2 is what they finish on

EA (The Kingmaker)

- "At EA, we do things a little bit different"
- Mass Effect 4 cold open, seamless gameplay from spaceship to shuttle to planet
- That weird extreme sport game we barely saw a year or two back returns, and has some strange title like "Adrenaline"
- Battlefront is huge
- Sports sports sports sports
- Peggle x Plants Vs. Zombies
- Peggle Wars, 3rd Person shooter exclusive to Xbox One
- People can vote on the next game to enter the EA Access Vault
- Mirrors Edge 2 finally shows itself, and closes the conference

Nintendo (The Wildcard)

- Zelda U gets a mention in passing, it angers people
- NX also briefly mentioned, potentially revealing it to be a handheld/console, then not spoken about again
- Mario Maker amiibo support allows you to play with numerous amiibo skins
- Starfox U is episodic, first episode out after the digital event for free
- Project Giant Robot is the only of Miyamoto's "Projects" we see again
- Warioland 5 announced for New 3DS
- Roy & Ryu are Smash DLC "For the fans", Smash season pass announced
- Mario Kart 8 Season 2 DLC announced, Waluigi Pinball is shown off, along with Block Fort
- Walugi Pinball spin-off game, eShop exclusive
- One of the Mario 3D Platformers is getting a remake, lord knows which.
- Metroid 4 closes the show

Microsoft (The Contender)

- Banjo-Threeie announced, proves to be everything I want in my life
- Some Gears of War collection or something, I dunno
- Scalebound opens the show, gets the crowd going nuts when Spencer arrives on-stage, he namedrops Sony & Nintendo again
- Guitar Hero Live & Tony Hawk 5 are the most prominent third party titles, alongside Blops 3 and more Assassin's Creed
- Clippy is involved somehow
- An unexpected new Fusion Frenzy title this holiday season
- Halo 5 takes a huge chunk of time, obviously
- The new 1st party IP is either a Western or something Cthulu related. Maybe both.

Sony (The Showstopper)

- Uncharted 4 cold open, after an exciting demo, made underwhelming by the delay, Uncharted Trilogy is announced
- PSASBR is back! This time in the style of Killer Instinct for Xbox One, it will be f2p on PS4, with free characters swapping every week or so. Players can purchase full character packs. No more stage mash-up BS, new characters include Knack, Sir Galahad, Iota, some guy from Bloodborne, and the Pomeranian from Tokyo Jungle
- Speaking of which, A Tokyo Jungle sequel is a surprise announcement! This time it's a much bigger release, and the camera is no longer fixed. Called "Kyoto Jungle" or something.
- Ape Escape 4
plz
- Gravity Rush 2 is coming to PS4, first game is a pack-in
- Some token Vita announcement
- Sizeable Indie Sizzle reel, with more Morpheus announcements and some on-stage demos that fall flat. The big announcement is No Mans Sky (And for the hell of it, Uncharted 4) will be Morpheus compatible
- More unnecessary Assasin's Creed
- Motorstorm Galactic announced, takes place on the surface of the moon and other celestial bodies.
- GT7 probably
- Guerilla Game's Horizon closes the show

White Knight Chronicles was pretty bad, so I can understand this. You never really know until you play a game, and they are a bit hit and miss. Their work on home consoles, I think, hasn't been great since the PS2. Still, I have expectations.

I gotta balee dat.

Nah Ni No Kuni was great I thought.

WKC had a design shift in the combat system for some reason. I still remember that initial trailer with the combat system and it looked epic and next-gen as fuck. Was amazing to watch in motion. Why they scrapped that ( probably too much work ) and replaced it with the horrid MMO style combat system that the game had was beyond me. Outside of that though, the game was actually pretty enjoyable. Especially the whole transforming part.

Nintendo

• Animal Crossing Wii U announced. Releasing 2016
  • Zelda Wii U gameplay + new trailer announced for release Spring 2016
  • Devil's Third trailer. Releasing Spring 2016
  • Shin Megami Tensei & Fire Emblem update Releasing November 2015 JP / US Spring 2016
  • Updates on Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker ECT
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer. US / EU release September 2015
  • Project Zero: OotSR trailer. US / EU release October 2015
  • Starfox gameplay reveal. Releasing November 2015
  • New 3D Mario announced for Wii U. Releasing 2016

Microsoft
  • Halo 5 campaign gameplay reveal. Bundle announced. Releasing October 2015
  • Indie segment with release date for Below, Inside, Jughead. Plus a few new game reveals
  • Forza 6 gameplay trailer. Releasing September 2015
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider gameplay demonstration. Releasing November 2015
  • Fable Legends trailer. Releasing August 2015
  • Assasins Creed Victory demo. Exclusive content on XB and bundle. Releasing November 2015
  • New Battletoads game announced from Rare. Digital only. Releasing Holiday 2015
  • New Perfect Dark announced from Rare in collaboration with a second studio
  • New IP announced
  • Quantum Break gameplay + cinematics trailer. Releasing Spring 2016
  • Scalebound gameplay trailer. Releasing 2016
  • Crackdown gameplay trailer. Releasing 2016
  • Gears of War remake gameplay trailer. Releasing Spring 2016
  • Gears of War 4 in-engine teaser to close the show. Holiday 2016

Sony
  • Battlefront stage demo + PS4 bundle announced
  • Morpheus segment. Pricing announced. Spring 2016 release
  • Sony Bend's horror game demoed on Morpheus. Launch title Spring 2016
  • Indie showcase. Games such as Rime, The Witness, Soma. A few new titles revealed
  • Until Dawn trailer. Releasing August 2015
  • Tearaway Unfolded trailer. Releasing September 2015
  • Bloodborne DLC announced
  • MGSV trailer. Releasing September 2015
  • Horizon reveal trailer. Releasing 2016
  • Persona 5 trailer. Releasing in JP/US October 2015
  • Level 5 RPG. PS4 exclusive. Releasing 2016
  • Ratchet & Clank movie trailer & game trailer. Releasing October 2015
  • Uncharted Collection trailer. November 2015
  • Uncharted 4 trailer. Spring 2016
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops III campaign demo. DLC first on Playstation
  • Price drop announced. PS4 $299 / £299