• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2015 (Apr 20 - Apr 26)

Alrus

What the hell is even going on with MH Explore, I thought this garbage would be out by now

fake edit: oh they put out a new trailer this week. time to see if hp bars and true lock on actually make the difference people claim they do lol
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=13Z-hxSuldo

Oh wow this looks like garbage, why did it take them so long to release this?

was the sellthrough % numbers not a thing back then or something?

I think we stopped getting first day ST for a while yeah.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So the App Annie quarterly report was disappointing, but I did stumble upon their top 52 publishers for 2015, and am reposting the March 2015 one for comparison.

EA reported their 2014 mobile revenue as $481 million.

Sega reported their 2014 mobile revenue as 31.2 billion yen which currently transfers to $260 million, but keep in mind currency fluctuates.

Supercell reported their results as €1.55 billion ($1.7 billion), but I'm not 100% sure their fiscal year lines up to the calendar year, even though the article I'm pulling from implies this. I don't think they have much in the way of a business outside mobile games.

Worldwide Full Year 2014:

02-app-annie-index-tor7us0.png

Worldwide March 2015:

companiesmarchzvza8.png

L~A

For those wondering about sales numbers next week... It'll be May 8th for both Media Create and Famitsu. They don't give any time, so it's most likely the usual update time (10PM JST / 3PM CET / 2PM BST / 9AM EDT / 6AM PDT).

Media Create:

次回の「ゲームソフト週間販売ランキング+」は,2015年5月8日に掲載予定です。

Famitsu:

次回更新は、2015年5月8日金曜日を予定しています。

For those wondering about sales numbers next week... It'll be May 8th for both Media Create and Famitsu. They don't give any time, so it's most likely the usual update time (10PM JST / 3PM CET / 2PM BST / 9AM EDT / 6AM PDT).

Media Create:

Famitsu:

cool

also,
L~A
I'm here to remind you that all threads must be about translated information only
(Today, 10:12 AM)

when did you get that tag?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
cool

also,
L~A
I'm here to remind you that all threads must be about translated information only
(Today, 10:12 AM)

when did you get that tag?

He's always had that tag at heart

Vena

Maybe the shipment was 30k and people added an extra 0.

Its more likely that the shipment was 100-150k given the performance of the previous title and the general pre-order numbers we've seen. I am not sure if the bundle is included in that shipment numbers, but we should see the expected 70k < X < 100k sales numbers for the first week, I'd think.

I can't imagine an actual 300k shipment and 50% sell through, that'd be crazy.
All hail the conquering hero...

Did X even have a TV campaign in Japan?.
Nope.

Someone already mentioned previously, but Xenoblade Chronicles X wasn't sold out or low in stock in all Yodobashi Camera branches on the first day. You can check the stock status on their website.
http://www.yodobashi.com/任天堂-Nintendo-XenobladeX-ゼノブレイドクロス-Wii-Uソフト/pd/100000001002602712/

The photo hiska-kun took was from a single Bic Camera shop, so yeah...

Maybe they did ship 300k!

Its more likely that the shipment was 100-150k given the performance of the previous title and the general pre-order numbers we've seen. I am not sure if the bundle is included in that shipment numbers, but we should see the expected 70k < X < 100k sales numbers for the first week, I'd think.

I can't imagine an actual 300k shipment and 50% sell through, that'd be crazy.
All hail the conquering hero...

but Xbox is completely irrelevant in Japan

I'm curious, what does the Wii U eShop charts look like over there?

Vena

I'm curious, what does the Wii U eShop charts look like over there?

Ehh I can't say much on the end of the software front or eShop charts (guess I could ask), I can only speak on hearsay from friends at Uni there and while the game didn't get much of any commercial campaign other than posters and ad-boards, its got decent mind share. But that might be a localized and biased anomaly.

WoM might carry it far, who knows... I keep getting teased by friends with it. I'm salty.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
First Day Sell-Through {2015.04.30}

[WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X # <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥8.316) - 50-60% (two days sell-through)
Some people are arguing that the shipment is 300k and the bundle 50k. But if this rumor was true it would become the best selling game of the week. Not gonna happen

Real initial shipment must be 1/3 or 1/4 of these numbers

Fisico

No one reported it yet, but Xenoblade X sold at least 60k copies since release.

Now I don't know exactly what the number means (is it every player who had a wii u connected online at some point after beating this boss?), for that we would need to know when the game is checking online, if it's automatic and if so when does it happen?

Vena

No one reported it yet, but Xenoblade X sold at least 60k copies since release.

Now I don't know exactly what the number means (is it every player who had a wii u connected online at some point after beating this boss?), for that we would need to know when the game is checking online, if it's automatic and if so when does it happen?

Seems its tracking players (registered online for BLADE squads) who have partaken in a particular kill quest, but I don't think you're at all forced to do that so its only a partial number of players available for squads and working towards the world-boss unlocks.

That or the game tracks world-wide kills of even just regular bosses? Edit: This is it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 19, 2015 (May 4 - May 10) - Golden Week

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition < 60k
[3DS] Syle Savvy 3 < 30k
[WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X < 20k

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
By comparison Puzzles & Dragons Z opened at 535K-545K depending on tracker.

The fickle 3DS audience is just so unpredictable and never have any brand loyalty. What a minefield.

Being more serious this week seems like a complete disaster of astonishing proportions.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

The fickle 3DS audience is just so unpredictable and never have any brand loyalty. What a minefield.

Being more serious this week seems like a complete disaster of astonishing proportions.

That's the prediction for Week 19, not the next week for which we'll get datas, Week 18. Thus, second week for Xenoblade and P&D, 4th for Style Savvy.

Spiegel

This is second week, though.

Still a huge drop.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah I see next week now:

YSO predictions

Week 18, 2015 (Apr 27 - May 3)

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition < 180k
[WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X < 90k
[WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online < 90k
[WII] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online < 90k
[WIU] Hardware - 15-20k

Spiegel

Yeah I see next week now:

The previous game sold 1M in three weeks helped by the end of the year period.

It really will be a massive drop. I was sure this was going to do much better. P&D + Mario brand + Golden Week? What could go wrong?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm guessing the kind of people who like this game see almost no benefit in starting over instead of just playing on mobile outside of the few who have still never touched the mobile game even after liking the 3DS game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well...this is just YSO, when they are right they're usually generous with their margins.

hopefully they're wrong
Yeah I just mean if we assume the top.

It could do much worse but I doubt it would be remotely profitable either way.

That said I'm not sure that's what Nintendo expects out of non top shelf Wii U games at this point.

Do they move them to smaller projects given they might not have a better selling console in the future or soldier on as an example of hardware competence and genre diversity? Hard to say.

Since they're not an external developer they have to do something instead of the easy throwing off a cliff option.

It's also not a situation like Retro and Donkey Kong where they have other known competencies and 20 other sidescrolling platformers to make up for taking one out of rotation, but again who wants to make games thinking they will keep losing money assuming it doesn't have some standout Western performance.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Anyone who's playing Xenoblade X right now and posts here...any update on that stat posted earlier? What's its most recent value?

The Golden Week predictions are absolutely disastrous. I had hoped for a better result =/

Yes, I know these are just predictions but they are usually pretty damn close......

The previous game sold 1M in three weeks helped by the end of the year period.

It really will be a massive drop. I was sure this was going to do much better. P&D + Mario brand + Golden Week? What could go wrong?

Massive drop... How? The game has been out for a few days, and we do not have any idea about its LTD. It might have legs throughout the years (it's Mario, after all) and selling better than what anyone is expecting.

Read the date.

After all, P&D saw only stable revenues last term, which means that it might slowly fade, and all the franchise accordingly. Mario will ensure some legs, though.

AniHawk

That said I'm not sure that's what Nintendo expects out of non top shelf Wii U games at this point.

Do they move them to smaller projects given they might not have a better selling console in the future or soldier on as an example of hardware competence and genre diversity? Hard to say.

Since they're not an external developer they have to do something instead of the easy throwing off a cliff option.

It's also not a situation like Retro and Donkey Kong where they have other known competencies and 20 other sidescrolling platformers to make up for taking one out of rotation, but again who wants to make games thinking they will keep losing money assuming it doesn't have some standout Western performance.

i think xenoblade chronicles turned out to be a surprise hit for them in the west. they've shown an ability to try and please western fans (majora's mask 3d, sin & punishment 2) when a game bombed in japan but did well elsewhere.

there's also something to be said about scaling back a bit. xenoblade and xenoblade x both are really huge games and taking the first game's structure and making it even more loose and bigger makes me wonder where do you go from there? do you keep expanding the focus and risk having a huge ambitious game that involves space travel but not a whole lot of interesting things overall ala spore or no man's sky? the team behind xenoblade's used to making long rpgs, but that doesn't mean they need to be massive ones. while these games must be a nightmare to localize, they could also focus on other elements of western games and make them more character and decision based, losing the open-endedness of the exploration but increasing the options within the story. there were hints of that in xenoblade.

whatever they do next, it won't be until the nx is out and it won't be until 2018 at the earliest. who knows, maybe nintendo might give monolithsoft some of their other ips to work on. if monolithsoft wanted to go even bigger and nintendo was fairly hesitant about that, they might work wonders for a large-scale pokemon game, or even a different kind of console fire emblem title if atlus never returns for another crossover.

At this point Monolith Soft. could start developing its new mobile tentpole franchise, since jRPG player base is booming there. Nintendo would not object since mobile will be a key business aspect of its strategy.

Vena

Pretty sure this is aimed westward (given where Xenoblade really took off) more than Japan. Seems the title will meet or come close to Xenoblade Chronicles which, given a considerably lower install base on the WiiU, is not a bad result.

Nintendo was likely more than prepared for this for years now and they still let them do what they wanted to do with the title. They'll lose money but, given the Iwata Asks, I think they were ready for it and still let Monolith have fun with their project and make it as they saw fit.

Monolith is a diversity move for their library, I would say. And their next move is likely going to be on the NX/handheld platform. They're already scripted for the cross over X-zone project. Wasn't Retro's take on DK partly because the studio wanted to do something new and partly to try and capitalize on the success of the Wii DK? I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something similar with Monolith.

We're likely to see this get positioned as a strong holiday title for the WiiU in the west by the time the localization gets finished. Captain Toad experienced a rather sizable boost from the holidays (even if its a spin-off Mario game). I don't think Xenoblade X is going to perform anywhere near Bayonetta 2.

Sandfox

Pretty sure this is aimed westward (given where Xenoblade really took off) more than Japan. Seems the title will meet or come close to Xenoblade Chronicles which, given a considerably lower install base on the WiiU, is not a bad result.

Nintendo was likely more than prepared for this for years now and they still let them do what they wanted to do with the title. They'll lose money but, given the Iwata Asks, I think they were ready for it and still let Monolith have fun with their project and make it as they saw fit.

Monolith is a diversity move for their library, I would say. And their next move is likely going to be on the NX/handheld platform. They're already scripted for the cross over X-zone project. Wasn't Retro's take on DK partly because the studio wanted to do something new and partly to try and capitalize on the success of the Wii DK? I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something similar with Monolith.

We're likely to see this get positioned as a strong holiday title for the WiiU in the west by the time the localization gets finished. Captain Toad experienced a rather sizable boost from the holidays (even if its a spin-off Mario game). I don't think Xenoblade X is going to perform anywhere near Bayonetta 2.

X will probably be released on a future Nintendo platform so it should help out a bit in that regard. X should do decent in the west.

I think that depends on how Nintendo's next platform works, and the critical reception of the game, because I don't think Nintendo is going to work under the assumption that their next platform will struggle like the Wii U. I really want to know how big the budget for X was.

Vena

I think that depends on how Nintendo's next platform works, and the critical reception of the game, because I don't think Nintendo is going to work under the assumption that their next platform will struggle like the Wii U. I really want to know how big the budget for X was.

Five years of development, right? So probably few tens of millions. Its not a Zelda title and I doubt its budget is even within an order of magnitude of those titles. (Also, we have to consider that the tech that drives the game is likely going to make its way into Zelda and other titles, so its not a straight line on "how much are we spending on just this title".)

The Tokyo Studio is like, what, 90 people?

COMG! Weekly Ranking (April 27th to May 3rd)

1. (3DS) Puzzle and Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition - 269pts
2. (Wii) Dragons Quest X: Legend of the Ancient Dragon Online - 124pts
3. (WiiU) Dragons Quest X: Legend of the Ancient Dragon Online - 123pts
4. (WiiU) Xenoblade X Chronicles - 92pts
5. (3DS) Bravely Second: End Layer - 45pts
6. (3DS) Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code - 45pts
7. (Vita) Minecraft - 31pts
8. (3DS) Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars - 30pts
9. (Vita) Operation Babel: New Tokyo Record (ST) - 17pts
10. (3DS) Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: Korosensei Daihouimou!! - 16pts
11. (Vita) Phantasy Star Nova - 14pts
12. (Vita) To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers - 12pts
13. (PS3) BlazeBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend - 12pts
14. (PS3) Minecraft (English Edition) - 11pts
15. (PS3) One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 - 11pts
16. (Vita) Something Blessing Flower (LE) - 10pts
17. (Vita) Sword Art Online: Lost Song (ST) - 10pts
18. (PS4) Hyperdimeniom Neptunia Victory II (ST) - 10pts
19. (PS4) Bloodborne (ST) - 10pts
20. (3DS) Future Card Buddy Fight - 10pts

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 18 2015

01./00. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment)
02./00. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./00. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./00. [WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X <RPG> (Nintendo)

05./01. [3DS] Bravely Second: End Layer <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./02. [3DS] Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code <ETC> (Nintendo)
07./04. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang AB)
08./03. [PS4] Dying Light <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan)
09./06. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (Bandai Namco Games)
10./00. [PSV] New Tokyo Legacy: Operation Babel <RPG> (5pb.)
11./12. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Bandai Namco Games)
12./14. [PS3] Yakuza 0 (Sega)
13./00. [PSV] To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers <ADV> (Aqua Plus)
14./19. [PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Capcom)
15./15. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (Bandai Namco Games)
16./11. [3DS] Assassination Classroom: Korosensei Daihouimou!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
17./09. [PS4] Tropico 5 <SLG> (Square Enix)
18./08. [PS4] Toukiden: Kiwami <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
19./16. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 (Konami)
20./14. [3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D <RPG> (Nintendo)

*Hardware bundles not included

It's ok, with a 2/3 drop your statement still applies! :p
They're probably lying though. #trustnoone #thetruthisouthere

Anyway, Colopl (White Cat Project) quietly released their quarterly earnings a few days ago.
Sales flat on last quarter at ¥16.5 billion. (+34% y/y)
¥7.957 billion operating income. (+49% y/y, +11% over last quarter)

01./00. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment)
02./00. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./00. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./00. [WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X <RPG> (Nintendo)

05./01. [3DS] Bravely Second: End Layer <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./02. [3DS] Style Savvy 3: Kira Kira Code <ETC> (Nintendo)
07./04. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang AB)
08./03. [PS4] Dying Light <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan)
09./06. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (Bandai Namco Games)
10./00. [PSV] New Tokyo Legacy: Operation Babel <RPG> (5pb.)
11./12. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Bandai Namco Games)
12./14. [PS3] Yakuza 0 (Sega)
13./00. [PSV] To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers <ADV> (Aqua Plus)
14./19. [PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Capcom)
15./15. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (Bandai Namco Games)
16./11. [3DS] Assassination Classroom: Korosensei Daihouimou!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
17./09. [PS4] Tropico 5 <SLG> (Square Enix)
18./08. [PS4] Toukiden: Kiwami <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
19./16. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 (Konami)
20./14. [3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D <RPG> (Nintendo)

why the disclaimer here? isn't that the case every time
They're probably lying though. #trustnoone #thetruthisouthere

Anyway, Colopl (White Cat Project) quietly released their quarterly earnings a few days ago.
Sales flat on last quarter at ¥16.5 billion. (+34% y/y)
¥7.957 billion operating income. (+49% y/y, +11% over last quarter)

who?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
COMG! Weekly Ranking (April 27th to May 3rd)
2. (Wii) Dragons Quest X: Legend of the Ancient Dragon Online - 124pts
3. (WiiU) Dragons Quest X: Legend of the Ancient Dragon Online - 123pts

Looks like the 2 versions may have sold fairly close to each other? At least closer than before?

02./00. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.05} (¥3.990) - 117.432 / NEW
06./00. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.05} (¥3.990) - 70.648 / NEW

Then again it was closer than I would've suspected back in 2013, so I guess it's a bit more expected.

Top Bottom