• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

More like Jaime was a piece of shit before he met Brienne. He learned honor and being righteous from her and their entire journey. The biggest moment of self-reflection from Jaime came during when he was bathing with Brienne.

I mean he is still a pos for screwing with his sister. But you cant help but appreciate the fact that he has grown as a character (for better).

Sometimes I forget about his whole arc but you people are right, I'm a newbie and I binged on all seasons over this past weekend, so old Jaime is still very fresh in my mind and contrast with new Jaime a lot.

I have to be honest I mainly wanted to see dragons vs magical wolfs vs ice things and I mostly skipped the episodes looking forward to that and realizing is only going to happen at the end of the last season/book. But watching more calmly I grew fond of some of the storylines so... I'm here now, caring about the Stark girls and wanting many people dead.

Edit: why do I keep getting top of the page...

b4d076fc_post-43158-Natalie-Dormer-Swimming-Pool-g-8tuQ.gif

Oh.
My.
God.

That little eyebrow raise at the end does it for me.

Nameless

van houten has the body of a godess. seriously, even females found her very hot.

Jon Snow definitely lost some EXP by not just ravaging her right there on the desk like Stannis did. Hell, The Mannis didn't even waste time taking off his pants or anything -- which easily the most realistic scene in the show's history.

Oh, not killed by the Iron Bank, killed by Lannisters.
Clear as a day that Meryn Trant is going to chop that dude's head and throw him in a ditch, and blame it on something else as per Cersei's orders of course. There is absolutely no reason for not only him to go to Iron Bank, let alone accompanied by Meryn Trant. It can only mean one thing. Keep in mind Cersei is on a scorched earth terms with Margery.

Valus

Jon Snow definitely lost some EXP by not just ravaging her right there on the desk like Stannis did. Hell, The Mannis didn't even waste time taking off his pants or anything -- which easily the most realistic scene in the show's history.

I think he gained exp, personally. Finally someone had the strength to say no to her. Jon > Stannis confirmed for me.

I just hope he doesn't break.

Clear as a day that Meryn Trant is going to chop that dude's head and throw him in a ditch, and blame it on something else as per Cersei's orders of course. There is absolutely no reason for not only him to go to Iron Bank, let alone accompanied by Meryn Trant. It can only mean one thing. Keep in mind Cersei is on a scorched earth terms with Margery.

That would be too obvious, no? Grandma Tyrell would retaliate hard. I thought she is trying to take Margery's family away from her in King's Landing, that's all.

Camwi

I gave a big ol' thumbs-up to the TV when he did that. That ginger minge isn't worth having a Jon Snow-faced evil creature crawling around somewhere stabbing people.

Nameless

Who knows, they might not even be going to Bravoos. That could have been a lie she told to get Mace on a ship or out of the city without raising suspicion. If you think about it, she has all the leverage in the world over the Tyrells right now with the fates of The Lord of High Garden and his only male heir firmly in her hands. If Margaery or Olenna don't play ball she could make good on her threat to send House Tyrell the way of House Reign of Castamere, if that's not already her end game .

https://youtu.be/iQ2QP4hfs5s

<3 Cersei

Nameless

I think he gained exp, personally. Finally someone had the strength to say no to her. Jon > Stannis confirmed for me.

I gave a big ol' thumbs-up to the TV when he did that. That ginger minge isn't worth having a Jon Snow-faced evil creature crawling around somewhere stabbing people.

Sex with Carice Van Houten + killing Roose Bolton without risking a single life.

Vs.

Beating off to memories of your dead girlfriend + having to overcome Winterfell's defenses to have a chance to kill Roose Bolton .

I'm not seeing how this is a tough decision.

Sex with Carice Van Houten + killing Roose Bolton without risking a single life.

Vs.

Beating off to memories of your dead girlfriend + having to overcome Winterfell's defenses to have a chance to kill Roose Bolton .

Plus he's already shown to be okay with breaking his vows in the name of his mission. If his mission is to clear out Winterfell, he should have sexed the witch.

Venture

i guess he could have changed a lot over the year(s?) he was captive, plus then losing his hand. but I think that really, after all they went through, all that he observed about her, I think that Brienne is the knight that he wishes he could have been, in another life. there is a good person in there, but too corrupted by Tywin, Cersei, and too embroiled with Cersei in particular to ever REALLY be good. so he's almost like... living vicariously through Brienne, or something. he wants to be good, but knows he's too far gone. (physically, as well) but he CAN assist one of the few (only?) good warriors he knows and enable them to do what good things he wishes he could be able to do. hence, giving her the sword, armor, etc. at least, that's how I see it.
Well put.

fuck it, can't post van houten gifs, too NSFW.
Coward. I'll do it then.

mil1.gif

Nameless

Plus he's already shown to be okay with breaking his vows in the name of his mission. If his mission is to clear out Winterfell, he should have sexed the witch.

She should have told him flat out that he could kill Roose by blowing a load, instead of speaking so cryptically. Also you say witch, I say Fire Priestess of The Lord of Light & Spiritual Advisor to The One True King of Westeros...that woman is doing God's work.

She should have told him flat out that he could kill Roose by blowing a load, instead of speaking so cryptically. Also you say witch, I say Fire Priestess of The Lord of Light & Spiritual Advisor to The One True King of Westeros...that woman is doing God's work.

Yeah, but what fun is there in speaking plainly when you have the wit to add cryptic mysticism? :p

Valus

Vs.

Jon doesn't need bullshit witchcraft to do his work for him.

She's a bad guy, plain and simple. Can't wait till she gets skewered.

Did he really say no, though?

He said no better than anyone else she's tried to seduced thus far.

Why is the witchcraft bullshit? Is it not better to inseminate her and get the task over with quickly than waste possibly hundreds or thousands of lives on reclaiming Winterfell?

Camwi

Vs.

That also means getting close to the witch. Pretty sure she wants to do something to him similar to what she was planning with Gendry.

Jarnet87

Who knows, they might not even be going to Bravoos. That could have been a lie she told to get Mace on a ship or out of the city without raising suspicion. If you think about it, she has all the leverage in the world over the Tyrells right now with the fates of The Lord of High Garden and his only male heir firmly in her hands. If Margaery or Olenna don't play ball she could make good on her threat to send House Tyrell the way of House Reign of Castamere, if that's not already her end game .

https://youtu.be/iQ2QP4hfs5s

<3 Cersei

I wouldn't mess with Olenna, she might be old but she can play da game.

Venture

That also means getting close to the witch. Pretty sure she wants to do something to him similar to what she was planning with Gendry.
I got the impression she was just trying to bang out a quickie shadow baby before they march on Winterfell. I don't think she would've tried to capture/kill him. Anyhow I give major props to Jon for resisting her. Making those things can't be good for you. She's already told Stannis making another with him would kill him.

Curufinwe

I got the impression she was just trying to bang out a quickie shadow baby before they march on Winterfell. I don't think she would've tried to capture/kill him. Anyhow I give major props to Jon for resisting her. Making those things can't be good for you. She's already told Stannis making another with him would kill him.

Yes, it's not like making a regular baby.

Sendero

Man, I hadn't had the chance to check all the chapters, so was fun to try to catch on.

1) I'm not even angry the Unsullied were quickly dispatched. More that they looked so lost and helpless, and were so easily scattered even though Grey Worm was commanding them.

I mean, back on Yunkai, the 3 of them (GW + Sir Barristan + Daario) handled a MUCH larger surprise force, that also came from all sides. So it's not like they were not good at CQC. The director should have made it look like the Son of the Harpies jumped out from from the hidden passages, and backstabed them in a single movement. Guess they didn't face assassins but actual famous Gladiators or something.

2) Stannis scene with her daughter was well acted and quite powerful. It shows (again) that he is not afraid to resort to questionable aid -even dark magic-, when the situations calls for it. Honor be damned.

But while I more fond of him (and his awesome attire) now, it's clear that he is being used as another pawn by Melissandre. She only aims to serve her Lord. Guess we just found out which one.

3) Jaime assuming that the ship's captain would not betray them was pretty amateur and out-of-character. Same with him wanting to kill Tyrion. Too unbelievable and out of there. Still, Bronn-adventures-in-foreign-land sounds awesome, so I'm hooked already.

Hope the Sand snakes delivers.

4) In a previous chapter, did I heard wrong, or was a Lord of Light priestess(?) talking highly of Daenerys? Like she was the real deal. If so, where does that leave our lovable mannis?

Sendero

So what's the deal with the Dornish trader who sold the contaminated doll to Stannis?
That was a major highlight, yes. Not buying that to be a mere coincidence.

Perhaps it was all part of the plan to have Stannis make a pact to save her daughter (like Danny with Drogo), that eventually lead him to get the services of Melissandre? I'm not even sure we have been told how and why he met her.

Or perhaps Grayscale is akin to developing Warg skills. Something that it's starting to manifest in a stronger manner now that the comet/dragons are back. Or related to residual "DNA" of old magical creatures. I mean, someone joked that Hodor might have Giant's blood on him. What if it's true? What about The Mountain or The Hound?

Lord of Light likes to hedge his bets.
Melissandre, and now pushing for Danny + Misandei?

Truly the god of tits. Tyrion will be pleased.

Jon passed his saving throw against her charms. +XP to me!

sangreal

That would be too obvious, no? Grandma Tyrell would retaliate hard. I thought she is trying to take Margery's family away from her in King's Landing, that's all.

There would be no need to send Trant to just get Mace out of the city though; she clearly plans to at least make sure the Tyrells know she can kill him at any time

Nameless

Yeah, but what fun is there in speaking plainly when you have the wit to add cryptic mysticism? :p

She destroyed him with the "you know nothing" line, though. Who knew the vision flames came with audio.

He said no better than anyone else she's tried to seduced thus far.

That bullsht witchcraft has given Stannis two armies, the support of the Iron Bank, on top of making him the last man standing in the War of the Five Kings. I'm going to choose to ignore all the Faustian warning signs for the time being and focus on Meli's W's.

Ability wise she's one of the most powerful characters on the show. Only God knows what she has planned for the Battle of Winterfell.

I didn't get that from her at all. Besides. Stannis is fond of Jon and clearly feels indebted to Ned for kickstarting his claim to the throne.

I wouldn't mess with Olenna, she might be old but she can play da game.

They're both masters. Just give me a 7 min scene of them engaging in verbal combat. Olenna should be careful though; there's a lot of stairs in King's Landing.

Jon passed his saving throw against her charms. +XP to me!

Jon's the guy who always chooses the good path in games even though you see, do, and get all the cool shit in the evil path playthrough. Dude passed up on an OP party member, a powerful summon, and the Kissed by Fire perk for a few points of Karma.

Who

Banned
Are we ever going to see more of that one dude with the patch who has been resurrected by the fire lord like 5 times? The one the Hound "killed"

Also we better see the crippled stark boy, forgot his damn name, and the magical children story arc continue in episode 5

Are we ever going to see more of that one dude with the patch who has been resurrected by the fire lord like 5 times? The one the Hound "killed"

Also we better see the crippled stark boy, forgot his damn name, and the magical children story arc continue in episode 5

Brandon Stark isn't in this season. His story's on hold for now.

No word on when we'll next see Beric Dondarion. He hasn't really served any purpose to the story save to add credence to the Lord of Light, so I wonder if there's anything left to do with him.

Brandon Stark isn't in this season. His story's on hold for now.

No word on when we'll next see Beric Dondarion. He hasn't really served any purpose to the story save to add credence to the Lord of Light, so I wonder if there's anything left to do with him.

Beric is one of my favourite characters in the show, I hope he makes an appearance in this season but yeah, can see where/how he would tie into the plotlines revealed so far this series. Im still hoping somehow he has resurrected the Hound.

ps Why did you change your avatar? The Harley one was cool.

melisandre.gif

phwar...she is the hottest on the show by a mile. A real devil woman.

borborygmus

Beric is one of my favourite characters in the show, I hope he makes an appearance in this season but yeah, can see where/how he would tie into the plotlines revealed so far this series. Im still hoping somehow he has resurrected the Hound.

phwar...she is the hottest on the show by a mile. A real devil woman.

Dunno about Beric, but I recall someone mentioning Thoros as being in King's Landing. I can't remember which character mentioned him.

It just occurred to me that the Sparrows are probably going to try and shut him down, since he's a priest of the God of Light. I really hope this happens. God of Light is confirmed real, what with the resurrections and Melisandre's power. I'd love to see the Sparrows' reaction to the supernatural, and how they would explain it vis-a-vis "The Seven."

Who

Banned
I fucking hate the sparrows. Did they kill the gay dudes in the brothel or did they just cut them? Either way there is a huge dissonance for me between the High Sparrow and his humble Christ-like persona and the things he commands his sparrows to do. It's weird.

I fucking hate the sparrows. Did they kill the gay dudes in the brothel or did they just cut them? Either way there is a huge dissonance for me between the High Sparrow and his humble Christ-like persona and the things he commands his sparrows to do. It's weird.

yeah, I realise now why I don't like them. The leader is humble and seems like a good bloke, the rest are fanatical maniacs. Like they are from a completely different cult.

borborygmus

I fucking hate the sparrows. Did they kill the gay dudes in the brothel or did they just cut them? Either way there is a huge dissonance to me between the High Sparrow and his humble Christ-likeness and the things he commands his sparrows to do. It's weird.

Yeah, he even told Cersei that he never even wished to have power or an army.

Some pretty big interactions are conveniently missing in the last episode. I'd have liked to see the High Sparrow's reaction to what his army has been doing, and whether he condones it or not. I also want to see Cersei and Tommen's discussion about the Sparrows being armed, and how that disagreement is handled. These are some pretty big conversations that need to happen and that episode took the easy way out by skipping them entirely.

Yeah, I like Beric a lot. He's got a very cool demeanor. I just don't know how he'll tie into what's going on. The brotherhood without banners could theoretically show up anywhere, so maybe they'll be near King's Landing or maybe they'll feature in the events around Winterfell.

(also, this avatar is fun, so I'll keep it for a few more days, but I like changing things up)

For what it's worth, there aren't really any pro-gay characters on the show besides the gay/bisexuals of course and brothel owners. So it's hard for me to feel especially against the High Sparrow when he's just mirroring the ideals of the people.

That said, fuck the seven. The Lord of Light is where it's at!

Who

Banned
Yeah, he even told Cersei that he never even wished to have power or an army.

Some pretty big interactions are conveniently missing in the last episode. I'd have liked to see the High Sparrow's reaction to what his army has been doing, and whether he condones it or not. I also want to see Cersei and Tommen's discussion about the Sparrows being armed, and how that disagreement is handled. These are some pretty big conversations that need to happen and that episode took the easy way out by skipping them entirely.

Hopefully with Tommen realizing that Cersei armed the Sparrows, he will now take it upon himself to attend the council meetings rather than letting her essentially rule the kingdom for him.

He's a good kid but he needs to nut up... Or he needs to just do whatever the hell his sexy ass queen wants him to do. Either or.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
You know... if the hound WAS brought back by the Lord of Light... You'd have The Hound indebted to a fire god. That could be fun.

Who

Banned
That said, fuck the seven. The Lord of Light is where it's at!

I mean Beric is cool but the Red Woman is obviously fucking evil so I'm not so sure about the Lord of Light.

I'm more interested in the God that the man with many faces talked about briefly with Arya... He said there was only one God... Was he too talking about the LoL?

I mean Beric is cool but the Red Woman is obviously fucking evil so I'm not so sure about the Lord of Light.

I'm more interested in the God that the man with many faces talked about briefly with Arya... He said there was only one God... Was he too talking about the LoL?

No, he's talking about death. The faceless men recognize that death is constant, not just in life but in every religion, so they figure that's what the whole truth.

Melisandre is cruel and stern, but I don't think she's evil. Then again, I suppose that depends on how ultimately benevolent the Lord of Light is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom