• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Global Testfire Demo Schedule and Info Thread (https://youtu.be/l4UFQWKjy_I)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Lab

lol @ the people on the first few pages who tried gyro controls for like 5 seconds an turn it off. xD
Yes it needs time to get used to it, but after 2 or 3 matches they feel really natural imo. oh well, good thing more control schemes exist ^^

also. best game man. best game.

SalvaPot

tumblr_no2erjSbQ21qgeu8jo1_1280.png

In the third match I was in the Oil Rig map. My team was able to prevent the other team from even leaving their spawn area. We were able to cover the entire map, we dominated! I was in the same group of players for pretty much entire globaltestfire event. Splatoon is so much fun, I wish I could buy it right now!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tips vs Rollers: Shoot at the ground they are coming from, it will slow them down and allow you to shoot at them while they're stuck in your ink. I killed tons of Rollers this way tonight, in close quarters (like when they were literally centimeters away from crushing me) and won most of the time (save for a few instances where we both died). I should note I was using the regular Splattershot, not the Jr. one as well and dealt with rollers very quickly.

Rollers being called OP this early is gross, barely any of you have a grasp on the controls -- how can you comment and know it's the best weapon when there's stuff we don't even have access to yet that could very easily counter it even harder? Not to mention, we didn't even have access to the better charge shot sniper. An hour and some of you are acting like you are amazing at the game and know it in and out already lol.

That aside, the game is fun and I'm def. going to purchase it day 1. The aiming felt a bit better when I turned down the sensitivity to like -2 or so but it definitely still feels a little unwieldy compared to the gyro. If only using the gyro didn't cause my hands to get a little sore because of how awkward I have to move it -- the gyro feels more natural for spraying ink on the ground but the analogue stick has wayyy better accuracy for shooting at people. It's very weird.

They can tap the button and kill you if you do that. A lot of people were really bad at using the roller, I was killing them constantly with my own since you can usually just back up and sling paint at them while they seemed hellbent on running you over for some reason. If rollers do that to eachother they both die.

I agree that it's always too early to say something is OP, but damn if I didn't top every game using it, lol. This was my best one k/d wise.

Rollers can be really defensive too. In this game I stayed near the top of the map in Saltspray Rig, kept the whole area covered and would hide as a squid near corners to come out and fling at people as they crossed to kill them. Held the spot the whole game, especially hard to fight them when they have a large area of ink to move around in. The splat attack is why Roller is so good at offense, not the rolling around movement.

Nanashrew

Banned
My name Daniel showed up instead of my username.

Aw, I don't think I saw you :C
--

As for my impressions.

The game is just really, really fun. I had an absolute blast. I tried both twin stick and gyro and found that I naturally click with gyro much more but I did need to take away some of that sensitivity and made it perfect. The game is incredibly fluid and fast. The timer is the perfect length keeping things to the point so there is constant action going on.

Outside of one communication error over wifi the game had no lag. It was really great.

That was pretty fun. I was on the fence about this game but this demo sold me. I won about majority of the games I did and always ended up in the top two positions. There was one round in the warehouse where I was near the enemy spawn and somehow pulled off lockdown there using grenades. Had a K/D of 6/1! Also had another game where our team won by freaking 0.1%!

Really wish I could've tested it on the Pro controller but the Gamepad worked better than I thought and I might stick with it due to the touchscreen benefits. I didn't use the sniper rifle or the roller and found my happy place with the Jr. I already found a pretty helpful tactic for if you get caught and someone is chasing you: fire ink ahead of you like you're trying to run away and then squid, but instead double back toward them. Most players will expect you to keep running so they'll keep going, passing by some of your already laid ink so you can just pop up behind them. I was able to pull this off a decent number of times so I got to be really aggressive in enemy territory. Doubt it'll work as well when players are more experienced.

I think most players are forgetting that the objective is to ink as much of the terrain as possible rather than improving your K/D. I'd see my three team mates constantly fighting a group in some corner while an enemy roller is just laying waste to the rest of the map.

Lag was nonexistent from my games or at least it is well hidden like Mario Kart's so this was a pretty successful stress test and I'm looking forward to the main thing.

Only downside I can think of is I want the ability to leave a lobby during the in-between time. I had to wait the full 180 seconds waiting for people to join before getting booted to the title screen. Huuuuge waste of time.

Oh and lots and lots and lots of rollers. Thankfully the bubble shield blows them up pretty badly.

woopWOOP

Covering walls doesn't contribute to your team's percentage.
They don't? Shit! ...Yeah, I actually remember that from the Direct now.
Guess I should stop painting walls in safe zones when the timer's almost up!

Think I'll try the sniper at the next session. For now... SLEEEEP.

Kenturoxx

Sniper is really hard to kill with but it is a great support weapon. Making paths for your entire team at the start so you can rush quicker is great. Killing with it seems really hard because of how small the reticle is and how you can kill people who are under your trail for some reason but its still fun to use.

Pro controller support should be #1 priority , map can easily be put on the bottom or top right/left of screen if they need a map

Hmmmmm so only 5 maps at launch , that's good for now but I hope more come sooner rather than later

Undecided still but leaning towards buying :D

There should be, at least for singleplayer but I don't think there is.

Not even in the full game.
Crap! I gotten so used to playing with Off- TV with nearly all of my Wii U Games :(

With regards to the game itself, it was fun and I couldn't wipe the smile of my face. I'm not a fan of the number of maps available at launch and was starting to get some fatigue already with the two maps provided, but the core gameplay itself is really fun.

May not pick this up at launch since I do want to see some impressions of the single player, but I enjoyed what I played so far :)

Its awesome. Thats it.

The best thing so far was when i had two squids teleport to one guy. Took the guy they were teleporting to out and then blew up the ones that teleported to him before they could breath. So good.

MGrant

Aaaaaaand it's gone. Connection seemed pretty good after a couple initial minutes of not being able to get in. Only disconnected from one match, which is great, considering I'm playing with people in the US, and I'm all the way in Taiwan.

Gyroscope aiming up/down will definitely take some getting used to; like someone else has said, it's something you have to fight against. But holy shit this game is fun, and with leveling and loot added, I can see myself sinking enough hours into this to justify a day-one purchase.

Since no one can really aim yet, I'd rank the weapons as follows:

Splat Roller > Splat Balloon > Splat Charger > Splattershot > Splattershot Jr. > Splat Bomb >>>>> Sticky Bomb

The Splat Roller seems like it's definitely going to be the "noob" weapon. Seems to work like a combination shotgun/melee weapon, and having two on a team increases the chances of victory by a lot. And it's just fun to flank multiple enemies with the thing; I managed to finish one round with nearly 1200 points by sneaking around and mowing down the other team from behind.

The Splat Charger surprised me, because it can actually cover a lot of ground with ink, really fast; like, faster than the roller in certain situations. As mentioned before, I can't aim yet, so the automatic weapons seemed pretty average, though I did see some folks performing well. The sticky bomb seems like a worse version of the splat bomb, neither of which has the sheer utility and effectiveness of the Splat Balloon, because of its instant detonation and the ability to throw three balloons on one tank of ink. Maybe they should consider making the blast radius larger on those two.

The two maps were pretty good, with Saltspray Rig just ahead of Walleye Warehouse in my view. I liked the big, flat areas to ink in the north and south parts of Saltspray Rig; made for some great back-and-forth fights over territory. Walleye Warehouse was much more chaotic, especially the middle section, but had some nice side corridors that allow for some sneaking.

The verticality of the game hasn't really presented itself to me yet, but that might be because I'm still fighting the controls. Too many walls have barriers preventing the player from climbing, so it seems like time is more valuably spent on the ground inking things and pursuing players.

And the specials are definitely Bubble > Unlimited splat balloons > Sonic weapon thing > Unlimited splat bombs

I saw someone use a splat tornado during a match; was this probably a labcoat person? Didn't see that on any of the available loadouts.

Kriken

Also, how was the connection for everyone? I got one connection error at the beginning, but smooth connections for the rest of the hour

Capra

That was fucking FANTASTIC! Started off with Splattershot and I think I had the most fun with that one - lot of one-on-one firefights hiding behind cover while trailblazing... But man, the roller is so fun to play with - you really feel like you're the powerhouse of the team, covering the most ground and rolling over guys like mad. Also made a point to try the charger out, but either I need more time for it to click with me or it's just not really my thing.

At least for me it seemed the servers were performing really admirably - I only had a game actually drop me once and as shitty as that was I was expecting MUCH worse for this one-hour event.

Oh, and motion controls? So fucking good. Just gotta crank the sensitivity waaaaay the fuck up and I'm golden.

Holy shit, Splatoon is legit.

LQX

Pretty damn fun but...

-Gyro mode SUCKS. I was so relived I could change it.
-The jump button better be able to be remapped
-Needs chat support. I don't talk much online but would have loved to hear some sort of communication going on.
-Sniper needs to be more accurate or scope mode.

Also I see it getting old real fast if there are not more maps.

Dr. Buni

This game is far too fast paced and frenetic for voice chat. Some of you can keep crying about the lack of voice chat, but I think the decision was 100% correct.

Tuck

Covering the wall doesn't contribute to points but it does help with mobility, and reaching high places.

You can't do it with a roller, but climbing to a high vantage point and just shooting out over the main playing field covered in enemy ink was quite satisfying. And when you're up there, its hard (but not impossible) for you to get hit.

Exile20

got bored of the 2 levels in 1 hour how is it going to be fun with 4 hour stretches of the same 2 maps. no voice chat is dumb i cant tell people to stop following me because i have the goddamn roller and u are just wasting time spraying on top of my ink u morans
You are the reason why there is no voice chat. Shouting at people calling them morons.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
One Sniper Rifle with the Minigun's Bomb, and three Paint Rollers with the Bomb they had here. That's what I'm... ROLLING if I get the game. I'm a Roller only scrub and I'mma stick with it.

It's fun but shoot man, $60 is a bit more than I'd pay. If I could have got it for $45 that'd be ace. Way too many games ahead of it in my purchase queue.

Buy Gamer's Club Unlocked from Best Buy. You'll get the game for $48.

Tesseract

Banned
rocket jumping to teammates with the gamepad map is a rad way to form parties

gamepad loading minigame is neat, but dull

communication sucks, more efficient commands or voice chat please

No onscreen map, huge bummer

Good netcode, solid fps

Matchmaking with friends please

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My impressions on what sort of teams you might see for organized play just from these weapons:

I think you might see one roller, one sniper and any mix of the other two gun classes. Roller will have a pocket Gunner with them; It'll help the Roller deal with enemy range attackers and Gunner will help Roller go vertical when it needs to. The other Gunner will basically be a roamer and they'll primarily be focused on the Sniper. The Sniper's focus will generally be the Roller and the primary unit that'll call out player locations.

I can't wait to see the maps and really get into them in detail. And to see what other weapons will be like. I think they fucked up big time by not having voice chat for random play. Just include it and give people easy options to turn it off and mute it.. because playing random matches has no appeal to me right now. It's a cluster fuck. But organized matches and scrims, oh yeah, I'll buy into that.

Paint roller feels good to roll around, but the splatter gun is more fun. I topped the board even with rollers on my team.

What annoyed me was that I didn't see a paint meter while playing, or it wasn't where I was looking and too often I ran out of paint. ): Turning into a squid also had slower movement than I expected. Overall great fun though.
The paint meter is the ink tank on your back. The less ink in there, the less ink you have. Also, when you swim in your team's ink, your meter shows up (a little HUD meter) and starts to fill up again.

The M.O.B

I was murdering cheese rollers the entire time with splat Jr.

But yeah this turf wars mode really favors the rollers still.

In regular team deathmatch you won't get anything with the rollers.

How do you do the special moves? Somebody had a giant paint tornado going on in one of my matches.

matm666

This game is finally the signal that Nintendo has abandoned the remote permanently (outside of sideways-remote multiplayer use). If they didn't bother to support IR aiming here, the probably never will again.

The more sluggish gyro controls almost seem appropriate for firing the paint, though. It matches the goofy and chaotic nature of the game. The remote would almost feel too serious and sharp for something as imprecise as splattering paint all over.
I think having the map at all times in the game pad and being able to jump to a partner is crucial and thas why Wiimote wouldn't work.

Oh my god. I have been into this game since its reveal, but after playing it?! Holy shit its fun! I can't believe the hour went by so quickly. I was so engaged while playing, and thats something I usually don't get in online games.

I just wish the play time was longer. Everyone didn't know what they were doing so games would be super lopsided sometimes. Can't wait to play when everyone has gained some experience and learned the general rules of thumb.

Weapons seem balanced. At a glance the Roller seems OP but the Charger seems to make quick work of them.

Can't wait to play in 7 hours.

DNAbro

I really dont feel like the guns were very good at all. To wide a spread to effectively deal with oppoenents and too narrow a spread to spray ink effectively.

git gud

Guns were definitely the most balanced. Quick coverage if you get up to a vantage point, quick getaways by painting the ground next to you and going squid, quick flanking, easiest way to paint walls and sneak up on people.

If your team is good, you'll have a way out in squid mode

Yeah, this is another issue I noticed, everyone felt uncoordinated, but at the same time that kinda adds to the chaos to it all which makes it fun.

Really though, I love the game, and the only aspect I actually really do not like at all about the game is the lack of a hairstyle/color option. I fully understand why, but I feel like I'd have a lot more fun if the customization of the base character was a bit deeper. Granted, I'm really looking forward to the clothing and whatnot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The rig is a hard level. You think you're winning and then you look down and you're not even close. I prefer the symmetry and size of the warehouse, you'll know pretty much at a glance where to go and what to do.

Tuck

Also, how was the connection for everyone? I got one connection error at the beginning, but smooth connections for the rest of the hour

Got kicked out once, and a tiny bit of lag briefly in one match, but the rest was smooth as can be.

RagnarokX

My impressions:

My favorite weapon was the regular splattershot. It had better range than the splattershot jr. Good rate of fire. Good for covering an area and for taking down enemies from a decent distance; especially rollers. I was regularly getting the most points for my team.

Gyro aiming is great. No idea why anyone would turn it off. You use the sticks for sweeping camera movements and the gyro gives you a lot more control than a stick for fine aiming.

Clawww

wish I had more time to dick around with the gyro controls and tweak sensitivies

just jumped in without gyro

I suck ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom