• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kilau

"starbox"
since a star-field gives one the impression that its open and not bounded & constrained like in a box
...also a play on "skybox", "if you see it you can go there"... except you can't
Strike four

parks and recreation GIF

Kilau

starbox I'd rate it a solid 7/10

starload, that's a solid 9/10:
1) loading screens which ruin the flow of the game
2) ridiculous load encumbrance makes the game a chore (individual carry & ship)
3) load as in copious amounts of crap (i.e. loading more boring procedurally generated content)
4) load as in the "sticky white stuff" from folks who blew their load based on the 10/10 early review scores and can't accept the games-flaws
Be careful, you are going to get your main banned.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm surprised people needed some time to realise that Starfield isn't much better than a 6/10.
I consider it a 7/10 game. I got all the achievements and put a lot of time into it. I don't consider a 7/10 game to be bad. Starfield wasn't bad by any means. It did a lot of things well, but it completely missed the mark in what I love about Bethesda games. For me, exploration sucked. Far too many loading screens. I have no hesitation recommending it to anyone who has enjoyed Bethesda games. Sadly, I don't think it will move the needle in terms of Gamepass uptake.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
starbox I'd rate it a solid 7/10

starload, that's a solid 9/10:
1) loading screens which ruin the flow of the game
2) ridiculous load encumbrance makes the game a chore (individual carry & ship)
3) load as in copious amounts of crap (i.e. loading more boring procedurally generated content)
4) load as in the "sticky white stuff" from folks who blew their load based on the 10/10 early review scores and can't accept the games-flaws
Your persistence is inspiring.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Just got to the entangled quest line.
Will probably start it today and hoping before dinner time have it untangled.

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

I have really enjoyed the game and loved the whole crimson fleet / sysdef line. Started off not liking this game, uninstalled it but co-worker kept wanting me to give it another chance glad i did. I personally still do not like the whole menu layout and *jumping* back and forth with the inventory and the map just to get to quests eww. i know main line is selected under character but just does not click with me , I've adjusted to just dealing with it.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Some quick points-

-My biggest disappointment of 2023 and IMO one of my biggest disappointments in gaming on my 51 years on this planet. Put a little over 84 hours into it and found myself most of the time just walking aimlessly on pretty much barren planets with key travel locations being a random fucking cave.

-Don't even get me started about the DLSS fiasco and "exclusivity".

-Most of the characters were annoying, many of the locations were underwhelming and the story was probably decided upon by an ai prompt. I mean, a hero's journey about what life/death/your place in the universe is.

It was cringe IMO.

-The graphics were average at best.

-The music was a surprise standout as were *a few* and I mean just a *few* quest lines that played out pretty neat.

-Otherwise it just felt terribly average. No real "wow factor" to keep me engaged nor wanting to return to it. At this point, the DLC could straight up rip off the original Star Wars movies beat for beat(which
I freaking love) and I *still* wouldn't reinstall it.

50/100

Some quick points-

-My biggest disappointment of 2023 and IMO one of my biggest disappointments in gaming on my 51 years on this planet. Put a little over 84 hours into it and found myself most of the time just walking aimlessly on pretty much barren planets with key travel locations being a random fucking cave.

-Don't even get me started about the DLSS fiasco and "exclusivity".

-Most of the characters were annoying, many of the locations were underwhelming and the story was probably decided upon by an ai prompt. I mean, a hero's journey about what life/death/your place in the universe is.

It was cringe IMO.

-The graphics were average at best.

-The music was a surprise standout as were *a few* and I mean just a *few* quest lines that played out pretty neat.

-Otherwise it just felt terribly average. No real "wow factor" to keep me engaged nor wanting to return to it. At this point, the DLC could straight up rip off the original Star Wars movies beat for beat(which
I freaking love) and I *still* wouldn't reinstall it.

50/100
I figured this out in about 3 hours with the game. I feel sorry for your time loss.
The logo and theme music is all I think is great with the game.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I figured this out in about 3 hours with the game. I feel sorry for your time loss.
The logo and theme music is all I think is great with the game.

I think my problem was that I was continually looking for "wow, that was cool and memorable" moments/set pieces. Like exploring a distant planet to find an amazing say-lost robotic civilization deep in a planet's core? Something really cool. Instead I was just pointing my character in a direction and running for what seemed like hours(well, I guess they *were* hours lol) to come across a random cave or spaceship landing.

I guess I was looking for an awesome "pay off" for exploring or continuing to explore the game's universe because Bethesda hyped it up so much. I figured after all the time it spent in development, there surely would be some freaking epic moments!? I'll take much of the blame for getting sucked into the hype. I should have known better. Sigh.

Agreed again on the music, loved the soundtrack and the actual logo aesthetics-I dig stuff like that from a design standpoint:

byX1PLN.jpg

Last edited:

LordCBH

Cant wait to see all the youtubers hating on the game to do a 180 and start loving it early next year when the expansion/s? and mods come out.

Is the expansion gonna add some oomph and wow to this game? Will it make exploration not suck camel dick?
Best part of the game by far are the curated areas like the main cities. I quite like those. But holy shit everything outside those curated areas is ass.

Man you guys are hilarious.

One company is boosting sales of their ecosystem via bundling and the other is discounting a game for existing and new consumers.

If you can't tell the difference between the two you've too far-gone.

Maybe if you try to explain why Spider-Man 2 and Mario Wonder aren't individually discounted but Forza and Starfield are... Why is there no official Forza or Starfield bundle this holiday season?

havoc00

One company is boosting sales of their ecosystem via bundling and the other is discounting a game for existing and new consumers.

Maybe if you try to explain why Spider-Man 2 and Mario Wonder aren't individually discounted but Forza and Starfield are... Why is there no official Forza or Starfield bundle this holiday season?
Nintendo hardly ever does discounts let alone a month after a games release

What a bizarre hill to die on. You even go on to say “successful games” don’t do this. Who knew Call of Duty games are failures every year.

So doing a discount during the holidays, which every company does, is bad news about the games success. But giving the game away free, oh well that’s just good business!

Again, laughably bad take. There are plenty of reasons to shit post about Starfield. A Black Friday sale isn’t one of them.

Also why would they make holiday bundles for those games when every console comes with GamePass, and those games are on GamePass?

What a bizarre hill to die on. You even go on to say “successful games” don’t do this. Who knew Call of Duty games are failures every year.

So doing a discount during the holidays, which every company does, is bad news about the games success. But giving the game away free, oh well that’s just good business!

Again, laughably bad take. There are plenty of reasons to shit post about Starfield. A Black Friday sale isn’t one of them.

Also why would they make holiday bundles for those games when every console comes with GamePass, and those games are on GamePass?

What a bizarre response.

Big games always come out for the holidays, but they are rarely discounted within a couple of months of releasing, black friday or otherwise.

The idea that bundling the game with a console is giving it away for free is also puzzling. Neither is the game free nor is the console discounted. It's an entirely different marketing approach. If the game was free, you'd expect there to be a PS5 sold for 430 dollars without the game right? But that isn't the case. The base PS5 is still being sold for the same price and the base game is still being sold for the same price. The bundle is to entice you to buy into the ecosystem.

There is a distinct difference, but clearly you guys aren't going to pick up on that. I just watched a few videos on youtube and I'm convinced now that there are people who don't want to have anywhere close to a decent conversation about the economics of this.

They still have a Forza Horizon bundle despite Forza Horizon coming with GamePass. Not ever bundle includes GamePass.

What a bizarre response.

Big games always come out for the holidays, but they are rarely discounted within a couple of months of releasing, black friday or otherwise.

The idea that bundling the game with a console is giving it away for free is also puzzling. Neither is the game free nor is the console discounted. It's an entirely different marketing approach. If the game was free, you'd expect there to be a PS5 sold for 430 dollars without the game right? But that isn't the case. The base PS5 is still being sold for the same price and the base game is still being sold for the same price. The bundle is to entice you to buy into the ecosystem.

There is a distinct difference, but clearly you guys aren't going to pick up on that. I just watched a few videos on youtube and I'm convinced now that there are people who don't want to have anywhere close to a decent conversation about the economics of this.

They still have a Forza Horizon bundle despite Forza Horizon coming with GamePass. Not ever bundle includes GamePass.

Like I said, discounting a game, as all companies do this time of year, bad!

Giving the game away free with your console, amazing.

ron burgundy anchorman GIF

Also Starfield is $55 on the Xbox holiday sale. You’re making this big distinction about Spider-Man 2 bundles being to “get you in the system”, you’re already in the system if you’re shopping the Xbox store for discounted digital games.

When you obnoxiously mentioned Spider-Man and Mario, did you just forget Sony is literally giving the game away for free right now? Be better. This is absolute nonsense.

Top Bottom