• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
harry potter loki GIF

Lol. You do realize that the chances of Starfield coming to a PlayStation console at some point are extraordinarily high, correct?

It will still be boring, but it will probably be on PlayStation by the end of next year.

We don't have a timeframe for the first batch yet, so it's hard to put a date on this

But I know that Xbox numbers will collapse this year, and that will accelerate the third party rollout

You guys want it so bad.
I'm never buying it and i don't care. Phil had every chance to deny that rumor and he chose not to.
Yesterday's PR is quite easy to read.

Phil is clearly trying to not piss off Xbots while revealing basically that Gamepass is a failure and has actually stopped growing for a while now (and decreasing tbh), it's releasing PS5 versions of some titles and more to come...and did it all without a huge comotion.

Dude's a genius.

twilo99

Pentiment is beyond niche. I was playing it last night. It's more niche than Carnage Heart on the original PSX. It's literally an adventure game set in the 1500s church, it looks like book illustrations from then, and the story is about as exciting as that.

I know, but they must have a reason for picking it … maybe it was extremely cheap to port

wolffy66

It's

It'll come - MS was pretty clear yesterday. But Starfield is a bland game.

It's not the 'exclusivity" that's limiting sales... It's just not interesting, innovative or engaging. If it had been multiplat day one it would have been a better but still underwhelming title for Bethesda. As it is a delayed release will just harm sales now because PS buyers already know it's not great. Best MS can do is to try to get Sony to put it on PS Plus and take the money.

It's good for helping you sleep though - all that ASMR music and walking around empty landscapes really is narcolepsy inducing.
The main quest line is good but there's not much point in the "open" world.

Stuart360

I actually do feel Starfield and possibly Indiana Jones will come to Playstation at some point, Starfield i feel there is a big chance, BUT i'm not sure what some of you are on about in regards to what Phil said, i literally just watched the full podcast right now and when asked the question about Starfield and Indiana Jones, Phil said they are NOT part of the games coming over, and he seemed pretty adamant in the way he said it.
I mean things could change obviously, but i got the feeling that they dont plan to bring those games over any time sonn.
Alot of people started these rumours for clicks, and the fact that they actually referenced those two games for me when they didnt have to means they dont plan to bring them over.
Now if the likes of Sea of Thieves and Grounded do decent numbers on PS5, plans could change obviously.

Lol. You do realize that the chances of Starfield coming to a PlayStation console at some point are extraordinarily high, correct?

It will still be boring, but it will probably be on PlayStation by the end of next year.
No way! It will come as a GOTY edition with the amazing DLC included like they did when they finally brought over Oblivion. You know, that totally amazing DLC that we know nothing about but many very wise people have already paid real money for?

Gojiira

I know, but they must have a reason for picking it … maybe it was extremely cheap to port
Its obvious, game cost nothing to make comparatively, will cost virtually nothing to port, it made zero money through gamepass, so if it sells a million copies on PS5 at say £15-20 then it makes a nice bit of profit. Plus add to that NS sales too…
It was chosen because its AA/indie, requiring very little work to get on other platforms. If it sells well it indicates there is a desire for Xbox games on PS/NS. Pretty easy to see the logic even though the real test would be something like MCC or Gears

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I actually do feel Starfield and possibly Indiana Jones will come to Playstation at some point, Starfield i feel there is a big chance, BUT i'm not sure what some of you are on about in regards to what Phil said, i literally just watched the full podcast right now and when asked the question about Starfield and Indiana Jones, Phil said they are NOT part of the games coming over, and he seemed pretty adamant in the way he said it.
He said they're not part of the 4. He also said 1 year typically, so it wouldn't be part of the 4 anyway. Ideal time is to launch it with DLC and mod support, and call it a community game.

Stuart360

He said they're not part of the 4. He also said 1 year typically, so it wouldn't be part of the 4 anyway. Ideal time is to launch it with DLC and mod support, and call it a community game.
Well my point was more about the fact that they didnt need to mention them 2 games at all, they just didnt need to, and the fact they DID mention them while saying they are not coming, well it makes me feel its certainly NOT set in stone at this point, even if i do myself feel Starfield will probably come at some point.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well my point was more about the fact that they didnt need to mention them 2 games at all, they just didnt need to, and the fact they DID mention them while saying they are not coming, well it makes me feel its certainly NOT set in stone at this point, even if i do myself feel Starfield will probably come at some point.
It was a planted question to dismiss some of the rumors.

Now that those 2 rumors (Starfield and Indiana Jones are coming to PS) have been (temporarily) dismissed, it creates further confusion regarding what other rumors may also be "false."

Also, these 4 games (5, actually, As Dusk Falls), will be spread over a year anyway. No point in announcing ports that are more than a year away and cannibalize Xbox sales in the meantime for 12+ months.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It was a planted question to dismiss some of the rumors.

Now that those 2 rumors (Starfield and Indiana Jones are coming to PS) have been (temporarily) dismissed, it creates further confusion regarding what other rumors may also be "false."

Also, these 4 games (5, actually, As Dusk Falls), will be spread over a year anyway. No point in announcing ports that are more than a year away and cannibalize Xbox sales in the meantime for 12+ months.

The bolded is the key! Starfield and Indy are probably 8 or 9 months away and Indy is probably 12-15 months away. Why announce it now for PS5? It'll just kill sales for those games today.

Romulus

Starfield is not worth getting excited about. Ranked below fallout 4 for me personally and critics agree.
But if it does come to playstation at least it'll be all patched up and way more playable.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wouldn’t it take a while to see how the 4 games or whatever perform before deciding what other games are worth the effort?
More games are going to come. To believe that will be all is just silly, but O Ozriel has somehow managed to do so.

Even if every single rumor was 100% fake, damage to Xbox still happened, for how long these rumors spread like wildfire.

The brand that showed NO improvement despite their biggest exclusive, Starfield being released. $349 consoles.

On top of that, 34M GP subscriptions with 11-12M of those being Core. Means that 22M are actually on Gamepass Ultimate and I bet that at MOST onlyt half of those are paying the fuil $16.99 a month.

Despite, how it may seem I'd love to see Xbox have a turnaround, but I absolutely fail to see how that happens now. Where is the good news that tells anyone who has been on the sideline that "now is the time!"

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm never buying it and i don't care. Phil had every chance to deny that rumor and he chose not to.
Yesterday's PR is quite easy to read.

Phil is clearly trying to not piss off Xbots while revealing basically that Gamepass is a failure and has actually stopped growing for a while now (and decreasing tbh), it's releasing PS5 versions of some titles and more to come...and did it all without a huge comotion.

Dude's a genius.
Basically this. It's not remotely hard to read between the lines.

Taycan77

We will see if MS announces more ports or not.
Ports that are announced in a few months time (because it is happening) are already in development today. I’m sure those in the know are under NDA and MS can technically deny anything until official announcements.

In gaming circles I wish there were fewer gullible people. It’s painful reading when some are insistent MS are only releasing 4 titles - or the titles to be ported fall into a specific category.

Let’s get real. Microsoft will port everything of note to PlayStation & Nintendo if the hardware is upto it. The transparent PR talk is to placate existing users.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ports that are announced in a few months time (because it is happening) are already in development today. I’m sure those in the know are under NDA and MS can technically deny anything until official announcements.

In gaming circles I wish there were fewer gullible people. It’s painful reading when some are insistent MS are only releasing 4 titles - or the titles to be ported fall into a specific category.

Let’s get real. Microsoft will port everything of note to PlayStation & Nintendo if the hardware is upto it. The transparent PR talk is to placate existing users.
These are the same people who were 100% confident up until a few months ago that Xbox will never go third-party and port its games on PlayStation, or that Game Pass will continue to grow and is profitable.

Wouldn’t it take a while to see how the 4 games or whatever perform before deciding what other games are worth the effort?
I fully expect Pentiment and Sea of Thieves to bomb. Pentiment is too niche and look at the latest Steam reviews to figure out how newcomers to SoT are onboarded. That game is griefer central. HiFi Rush and Grounded might do well, especially on the Switch.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No way! It will come as a GOTY edition with the amazing DLC included like they did when they finally brought over Oblivion. You know, that totally amazing DLC that we know nothing about but many very wise people have already paid real money for?
To me, that is actually a dumb move. They should release Starfield sooner rather than later. Then they can sell DLC to PS5 users. I was saying Starfied would eventually make its way to the PS5 even before it was released.

twilo99

I fully expect Pentiment and Sea of Thieves to bomb. Pentiment is too niche and look at the latest Steam reviews to figure out how newcomers to SoT are onboarded. That game is griefer central. HiFi Rush and Grounded might do well, especially on the Switch.

HiFi rush on a handheld should be a good time.

Why do you think SoT won't do well?

twilo99

Its obvious, game cost nothing to make comparatively, will cost virtually nothing to port, it made zero money through gamepass, so if it sells a million copies on PS5 at say £15-20 then it makes a nice bit of profit. Plus add to that NS sales too…
It was chosen because its AA/indie, requiring very little work to get on other platforms. If it sells well it indicates there is a desire for Xbox games on PS/NS. Pretty easy to see the logic even though the real test would be something like MCC or Gears

I think all 4 games they've chosen must've been relatively easy ports, it makes more sense that way.

I still don't know why they don't release Halo multiplayer on PS.. I bet they think it will do too much damage to the "brand" but really, its a multiplayer game, and for those you need the biggest amount of players you can get.

Raven117

We don't have a timeframe for the first batch yet, so it's hard to put a date on this

But I know that Xbox numbers will collapse this year, and that will accelerate the third party rollout
Of course we don't. Im just guessing.
Yeah, probably coincide with this.

IDappa

There’s the sea of friends for new people now , no?. Wouldn’t that be the on boarding.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The problem is the rumours weren't dismissed at all. What was said, was "not now".

A pretty obvious statement given that they were inevitably going to roll out in waves based on time since launch and first-tier monetization on Xbox and Game Pass.

I was expecting a carefully managed response from Xbox, and I guess it was that. But, ehm, it struck me as weak, shockingly so for MS PR.

Its not an easy thing to excuse a pivot like this, because it implies that the former strategy has failed, but it seemed to me they made an extremely poor fist of presenting a positive outlook for the future,

Ozriel

M$FT
More games are going to come. To believe that will be all is just silly, but O Ozriel has somehow managed to do so.

Again, that’s not what I said or implied. I do believe more games will come, down the line.
Just not the way (and in the cadence) many of you expect.

Even if every single rumor was 100% fake, damage to Xbox still happened, for how long these rumors spread like wildfire.

The brand that showed NO improvement despite their biggest exclusive, Starfield being released. $349 consoles.

On top of that, 34M GP subscriptions with 11-12M of those being Core. Means that 22M are actually on Gamepass Ultimate and I bet that at MOST onlyt half of those are paying the fuil $16.99 a month.

Despite, how it may seem I'd love to see Xbox have a turnaround, but I absolutely fail to see how that happens now.

You seem really concerned. Why not let the people paid to manage Xbox worry about all that?
As for me, it’s already a significant win for consumers that competition in hardware is set to continue and day one releases in GamePass remains their strategy.

Where is the good news that tells anyone who has been on the sideline that "now is the time!"

Games releases, perhaps?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The problem is the rumours weren't dismissed at all. What was said, was "not now".

A pretty obvious statement given that they were inevitably going to roll out in waves based on time since launch and first-tier monetization on Xbox and Game Pass.

I was expecting a carefully managed response from Xbox, and I guess it was that. But, ehm, it struck me as weak, shockingly so for MS PR.

Its not an easy thing to excuse a pivot like this, because it implies that the former strategy has failed, but it seemed to me they made an extremely poor fist of presenting a positive outlook for the future,
Yep. IMO, Xbox's problem has always been their indecisiveness. If you have to take games multiplatform, at least own your decision. No point spinning it into a "for the players / for the creators" thing either.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Again, that’s not what I said or implied. I do believe more games will come, down the line.
Just not the way (and in the cadence) many of you expect.

You seem really concerned. Why not let the people paid to manage Xbox worry about all that?
As for me, it’s already a significant win for consumers that competition in hardware is set to continue and day one releases in GamePass remains their strategy.

Games releases, perhaps?
I appreciate this response. This was a good response. It seemed rational.

Why do I worry about it? Because Xbox failures largely due to their own incompetence have damaged a very healthy and competitive gaming market. I want them to be successful, but I want Gamepass in it's current form to die as I believe that is a long term cancer. Sadly, I do not believe Xbox has a sustainable path forward outside of going 3rd party.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yep. IMO, Xbox's problem has always been their indecisiveness. If you have to take games multiplatform, at least own your decision. No point spinning it into a "for the players / for the creators" thing either.

My feeling is that the time-line probably got pushed up sharply thanks to the financials, leaving Xbox management scrambling to put together a plan before they had all the pieces in place. The reason for the slow response to the PR crisis caused by the leaks is that they had nothing solidly planned out to get signed off-on and present.

To be fair, they've got an immense amount on their plate bringing ABK into the fold. but still, they got caught flat-footed with presumably Satya basically demanding that they start showing immediate gains.

Top Bottom