• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Gaming Community Thread | 1313 games, but 1313 ain't one

Yoday

It's really nice seeing so many classic Star Wars games getting released digitally, though they really need to get the PC version of Episode I Racer released digitally. I expect the physical copies of a lot of Star Wars games are going to start skyrocketing in price soon with all of the hype building up. Already games like the Jedi Knight series, KOTOR series, Rogue Squadron, and Republic Commando are all pretty expensive if you want physical copies on consoles. I've been having a ton of fun revisiting a lot of Star Wars games over the last few weeks. It's been surprising how many of them hold up better than you might imagine too.

Over the last two to three months I have been scouring eBay and my local game store for all of the old Star Wars games. I've gotten the majority now, but I still have a few key titles such as Republic Commando, KOTOR2, Shadows of the Empire, and Rebel Strike to get.

Teknoman

It's really nice seeing so many classic Star Wars games getting released digitally, though they really need to get the PC version of Episode I Racer released digitally. I expect the physical copies of a lot of Star Wars games are going to start skyrocketing in price soon with all of the hype building up. Already games like the Jedi Knight series, KOTOR series, Rogue Squadron, and Republic Commando are all pretty expensive if you want physical copies on consoles. I've been having a ton of fun revisiting a lot of Star Wars games over the last few weeks. It's been surprising how many of them hold up better than you might imagine too.

Over the last two to three months I have been scouring eBay and my local game store for all of the old Star Wars games. I've gotten the majority now, but I still have a few key titles such as Republic Commando, KOTOR2, Shadows of the Empire, and Rebel Strike to get.

Rogue Squadron series hasnt jumped in price yet. That being said... check local thrift stores too.

Garuda1One

dear God

so many star wars games on sale !!
im buying the jedi knight collection !!

j9Y7V2Y.png

its like, $3 !
oh damn KOTOR II also on sale for $2 !

edit :

thas it im buying the star wars collection.......

BNGames

The last time a new Star Wars trilogy was about to be released, I was in High School. The games help shape my adulthood as well as my career. Between JK2 and JK3 I learned a lot about networking and linux which lead me into the path id go down in the future. Ive done a number of videos on most of my favorites (Shown below). At some point I need to do a video on Republic Commando.

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
https://youtu.be/_k1QZryq_Ms

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
https://youtu.be/NuXOnrCMQdM

Star Wars: Empire At War
https://youtu.be/SVLinbofiBo

Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi
https://youtu.be/5O1JmyFHmBE

MilkyJoe

I only found out the other day that the 360 Backwards compatibility works pretty well now and so I re-bought Jedi Academy... Man it has been a good weekend. I did however assume auto save was a thing and had to replay about 3 hours after i turned it off without a manual save.

Yoday

I only found out the other day that the 360 Backwards compatibility works pretty well now and so I re-bought Jedi Academy... Man it has been a good weekend. I did however assume auto save was a thing and had to replay about 3 hours after i turned it off without a manual save.
Jedi Academy works? I tried it out and didn't have any luck with it on my 360. Maybe it didn't properly pull down the BC update or something.

Neverfade

Just bought Battlefront II to get a taste to hold me until DICE's version launches this year.

I downloaded Game Ranger for online play, but are there any other necessary mods I should grab?

Teknoman

Speaking of mods, anyone know if there are any for the Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series games to get them running at 1080?

JDHarbs

Just bought Battlefront II to get a taste to hold me until DICE's version launches this year.

I downloaded Game Ranger for online play, but are there any other necessary mods I should grab?
The Conversion Pack is a must. Good things have been said about Battlefront Extreme as well. Other than those, just start digging for some maps you like.

Filefront, SWBFGamers, and GameToast are all good resources for mods.

I bought the GOG Saber bundle. Does republic commando work with controllers (specifically DS4)?

EDIT:

What are the must install mods for Battlefront 2?

Aquila

No discussion about the X-wing series on Steam? Apparently Alliance is incompatible with mods, notably Darksaber's, so I guess GOG is the way to go.

Ive asked in a couple other threads and got no response. How is Republic Commando?

Like hooligan said, it's good just short. Rather basic squad command and decent gunplay. There's three story arcs across Geonosis, a derelict Republic assault ship, and Kashyyyk. (The game could have used another planet before or after Kashyyyk.) The Mando'a battle chants are pretty catchy during firefights. Difficulty is entirely dependent on ammo and if you can break through chokepoints fast enough. Respawning destroyer droids, superbattle droids, and magnaguards are a chore.

Teknoman

Would it be possible to add to the OP or someone to post a guide on how to get the best out of the Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series games on a modern PC?

Teknoman

This. It's an excellent series just really dated.

Yeah, I really want to get into it, but so far the only one that seems to run just fine is the first game, Dark Forces, and the last game, Jedi Academy. Everything else (vanilla anyway) either has messed up colors, wont let you use 3D acceleration properly, or just straight crashes.

EDIT: Got Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight working with this -

http://steamcommunity.com/app/32380/discussions/0/604941528482078518/#p2

Now to just get the controls and the hud to be abit more visible / guns not looking cut off (unless thats how they are supposed to look).

Valve really should get some people to looking into GoG like methods of combing for ways that users have made older games work on newer hardware.

curb

Banned
I'm sure this is the case but I hope you can get the new Toy Box digitally and the Anakin/Ahsoka set separate from the base.

Interesting that despite Rebels and The Force Awakens being the big thing this holiday; they are still using figures from the show that ended years ago.

A major character from all six films, who may still play a part in the seventh? Not entirely surprising. Plus, Ahsoka is returning in Rebels.

MattyG

Banned
Interesting that despite Rebels and The Force Awakens being the big thing this holiday; they are still using figures from the show that ended years ago.
There's probably going to be way more figures (no way they'll pass up on the chance to merchandize Vader), and
Asokah is in Rebels S2.
This is just the starter pack.

curb

Banned

Infinity's target age is fairly young. Young enough that for most of them, Clone Wars was probably their entry point into Star Wars. Rebels is still young and getting established so I'm personally not surprised they are leading with Clone Wars.

Ennosuke

Nice steam sale! I bought JK2 and I have to say it is one of the best games of all time. I loved this game when I was younger and I am not the guy who likes to play old games again. But I have to say it is still fun and it looks sort of nice. There is so much Star Wars in it!

Eolz

I'm pretty sure the second one isn't a screenshot.
But yeah, interceptors are a given (+regular ties and bombers, vs X-wing, Y-wing, and maybe A-wing).

eFKac

#TeamBWing

Have a very soft spot for them, probably because of Rebel Assault 2 lol :-D hope they're in.

12 maps is not bad but it depends how varied and unique will they be. So far we know about Tatooine, Hoth, Endor, Sullust. Jakku post launch right?

If that would be all, I don't feel like Hoth and Endor provide enough oportunity for a couple varied maps located on them. Not sure about Sullust.
Maybe they will surprise me with some interesting locations.

Teknoman

Nice steam sale! I bought JK2 and I have to say it is one of the best games of all time. I loved this game when I was younger and I am not the guy who likes to play old games again. But I have to say it is still fun and it looks sort of nice. There is so much Star Wars in it!

Did your game just boot up with no problems?

JDHarbs

Dennis Brannvall speaking the truth on twitter right now

We announce: "We have a partner system!" - Gaming media: "They removed Squads!"
We announce "You can both hip fire and use scopes in our game!" - Gaming media: "They removed ADS!"
We announce "We have Missions, play offline with bots!" - Gaming media: "They removed the campaign!"
I love you gaming media, but the rage-clicks. They hurt my soul! :(

PBalfredo

Since it mostly counts as a Star Wars "game", how many here have heard of the Star Wars Combine? It's a fan-made Star Wars MMO that's been in playable development since 1998. It's closer to a collection of role playing boards than a proper MMORPG like ToR or WoW, but it still has a game client with mechanics for traveling the galaxy, making items, sending messages, personal inventory, etc. There's two things that make it rather fascinating. First is that the whole game is entirely player-run. All of the factions are created by and filled the players. The empire is run by a player who is the latest emperor in a long line of emperors. Players also run the New Republic, various other governments, bounty hunting guilds, mercs and independent companies. The economy is also entirely player-driven. The main way to earn credits as a player is to join a fraction and get paid a salary by the companies that mine resources, the manufacturers who build stuff or the governments that tax the systems they own.

The second thing about the Combine that makes it fascinating to observe is that despite being over 16 years old, they still have not added combat as a gameplay mechanic. So players have been having an intergalactic civil war for years with no fighting. All this time they've been developing their empires, building up ships and facilities all for this massive cold war. In the meanwhile the main weapon between the fractions has been corporate espionage; players join rival fractions to play double agent just to destroy each other's economies. Not unlike the stories you'd hear out of EVE online.

I remember playing it a bit years ago when the prequels were still coming out. I joined long enough to try to join some mercenaries, get booted out, buy an N1 and dick around the galaxy until saying "I'll come back when they add combat". About a decade later, I still check in every year or so to see if they ever add combat, because with that much built up firepower and blue balls over the years, that game is going to explode day 1 that combat is introduced and it will be glorious.

So I recently got the GOG CD version of Xwing. That's the first Star Wars game I ever played. Might even be the first 3D game I ever played.

I was too young to ever get very far. I mostly just flew circles around the Star Destroyer thinking it was so cool. I'd play missions but I usually failed.

Fun to hear these sounds again, amazing that I remember them.
Welcome To The Flag Ship Independence.

I almost want to take some footage from this and then take some footage from the new Battlefront (when we get some) and just put them side by side. My first and my latest. That would be neat.

So players have been having an intergalactic civil war for years with no fighting. All this time they've been developing their empires, building up ships and facilities all for this massive cold war. In the meanwhile the main weapon between the fractions has been corporate espionage; players join rival fractions to play double agent just to destroy each other's economies. Not unlike the stories you'd hear out of EVE online.

Haha wow. I've never heard of it, that's some crazy dedication those guys have. Very strange.

I haven't spent any money either - I guess I got lucky.

Yeah, the gaming thread is a little dead. It'll be tough though as anything in the future like Battlefront or Disney Infinity will likely get their own threads. Having card trader app talk in there might help keep it on peoples radar.

Well let's liven it up!

The only Rebels card I've got is Zeb. I haven't spent any money on it but bought quite a few Rebels packs with points and no luck.

I've got a Rebels Vader that I traded for but that's it for that set. I dont really tend to collect whole sets, playing free makes that tough. I just get the cards I like. I really like the look of Rebels Vader.

Yesterday I went out of my way to trade for the Force Awakens cards, too. Had zero. Now I think I have all but the Falcon. People seem hesitant to trade even their duplicates of that one. I'll get it, though.

Was hoping for Ahsoka today but alas it was not to be. Big fan of the Clone Wars. Maybe I'll trade for it down the line once people stop caring.

curb

Banned
I've got a Rebels Vader that I traded for but that's it for that set. I dont really tend to collect whole sets, playing free makes that tough. I just get the cards I like. I really like the look of Rebels Vader.

Yesterday I went out of my way to trade for the Force Awakens cards, too. Had zero. Now I think I have all but the Falcon. People seem hesitant to trade even their duplicates of that one. I'll get it, though.

Was hoping for Ahsoka today but alas it was not to be. Big fan of the Clone Wars. Maybe I'll trade for it down the line once people stop caring.

I'm a big Clone Wars fan too and I'm surprised there hasn't been more CW specific cards. I get having Ahsoka in the Rebels set but I would think that at least one base card with her would make sense since they have cards for characters like Rex, Ventress and Cad Bane.

I've been fiddling with the app since shortly after it launched on iOS and I still have no idea how the trading system works.

As in-game as promo shots usually are.

Not at all. Expect constant bullshots until you see gameplay.

Saw the footage at Celebration. This looks like in-game if it were run on a high-end PC with all effects turned on. The PS4 footage I saw didn't look this good but I'd believe this being achievable on PC hardware.

I'm a big Clone Wars fan too and I'm surprised there hasn't been more CW specific cards. I get having Ahsoka in the Rebels set but I would think that at least one base card with her would make sense since they have cards for characters like Rex, Ventress and Cad Bane.

I've been fiddling with the app since shortly after it launched on iOS and I still have no idea how the trading system works.

I'm on Android so I've only had access to it for a couple weeks but I agree about trading. It's sort of a mess. If you want to trade for a specific card it just randomly selects a few players to send the blind trade to. If you actually want to see what the other person needs or if they have any duplicates, you cant use that feature. You just have to cruise the fan feed and at super-speed, select totally random profiles and hope that they have what you want.

Or I'm just missing something. But overall that seems poor.

I also have very little frame of reference in this game, I mainly treat rarity based on the distribution number on the back of the card in order to make what seem like fair trades. If I'm not doing 1:1 I'll try to bunch up a package full of golds/yellows to balance it out. However apparently people still get pissed at me for making bad trades and rate me one star. Sad :( I read people talking about it online and some people take this really damn seriously, makes me want to take my ball and go home sometimes.

curb

Banned
I'm on Android so I've only had access to it for a couple weeks but I agree about trading. It's sort of a mess. If you want to trade for a specific card it just randomly selects a few players to send the blind trade to. If you actually want to see what the other person needs or if they have any duplicates, you cant use that feature. You just have to cruise the fan feed and at super-speed, select totally random profiles and hope that they have what you want.

Or I'm just missing something. But overall that seems poor.

I also have very little frame of reference in this game, I mainly treat rarity based on the distribution number on the back of the card in order to make what seem like fair trades. If I'm not doing 1:1 I'll try to bunch up a package full of golds/yellows to balance it out. However apparently people still get pissed at me for making bad trades and rate me one star. Sad :( I read people talking about it online and some people take this really damn seriously, makes me want to take my ball and go home sometimes.

I know so little about it that I've only tried a few times and as far as I could tell, nothing happened with them. The app didn't seem to tell me any results. Maybe I'm better off not trying if people are that serious about it. I now just try when there's a specialty pack I'm interested in. Rarity and color don't really matter to me - I just like see cool cards and getting the characters I like.

Top Bottom