• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not what I had in mind and you know it, so I won't explain. ;)
No I really don't know what you mean. :I
If they don't half ass mouse controls it'll be a fine addition but if they do half ass it I imagine it'll review horribly again since the pad controls on the vita weren't tuned to the sticks at all and it was easy to overshoot your distance.
Yeah it'll depend on the execution for sure. GungHo tested Steam with Dokuro and that didn't really do well, but at least they wisened up and are bringing Grandia now.

Lain

I still see it as I said, if that's what they plan selling on PC, they might as well not bother at all. Then again, maybe a game isn't as bad as I imagine it,
never played and had no plans

If that's what they plan on selling on PC, I'm happy about it. I don't see why they shouldn't bother at all just because it's a game you have no interest about.
I want the Disgaea too, but those will come in time.

Jawmuncher

If that's what they plan on selling on PC, I'm happy about it. I don't see why they shouldn't bother at all just because it's a game you have no interest about.

I dunno, how long did we sit there with Cladun and got blamed for it bombing.

Corpekata

Banned

Will they? They've released one bomb and this will not likely do well either. They could very easily write the platform off.

Arthea

I'm 99% sure it will bomb horribly and no, it won't lead to any new releases in that case.

lemme ask you this: kindly tell me, if you would be a dev or publisher and wanted to break into a new huge market, what you bring first?
see my point, now?

Will they? They've released one bomb and this will not likely do well either. They could very easily write the platform off.

One look at Steam will tell them that you can be successful if you do it right. That really wasn't the case when they tried with Cladun.
Htol#niq probably didn't do so hot on Vita either yet they're still putting out Vita games. Weird!

I don't think there's another thread that generally has such a negative reaction to pretty much everything.

Tizoc

I'm 99% sure it will bomb horribly and no, it won't lead to any new releases in that case.

lemme ask you this: kindly tell me, if you would be a dev or publisher and wanted to break into a new huge market, what you bring first?
see my point, now?

I don't get why NIS are against putting Disgaea 1, or at elast starting with that game.
Is it voice acting fees? Porting issues?

I mean we got Gung Ho releasing a re-release of Grandia 2 based on its Dreamcast ver.
Start with a big title and work your way from there.
I do think that they might be working on a Disgaea port for Steam, but until then I really hope hotlink will be a better port.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I really think it'd do well on Steam provided they fixed and fine tuned the controls and priced it at $15 max.
I don't get why NIS are against putting Disgaea 1, or at elast starting with that game.
Is it voice acting fees? Porting issues?

I mean we got Gung Ho releasing a re-release of Grandia 2 based on its Dreamcast ver.
I do think that they might be working on a Disgaea port for Steam, but until then I really hope hotlink will be a better port.

Contracts for VAs for a new platform would be most likely and HtoL#NiQ has zero VA work in it.

Jawmuncher

bermuda.jpg

Bermuda is actually pretty fun albeit short. It's a Visual Novel mixed with some 2D stealth puzzles. That might sound bad but they're never too hard. The game is about 1-2 hours and the story isn't half bad. Easily worth the price of the bundle alone.

Lain

I dunno, how long did we sit there with Cladun and got blamed for it bombing.

I did my part and bought it, because Cladun x2 is great!

see my point, now?

I'd start with something small that doesn't cost too much to port and won't need too much work on graphics redone to test the waters and fits the platform, because if it doesn't cost much and makes a certain % of profits, it means bigger projects can be viable. I wouldn't port the bigger guns right out of the gate because that would require much more work done porting, testing etc.

Anyways, I'll buy this release because I want it and I'm happy about it. If it bombs and no more of their games come to Steam, too bad, I'll keep buying them on console.

baterism

I would be elated if Firefly diary get 10k. I'm not that optimistic, though.
http://steamspy.com/tag/JRPG
Recettear making bank. (390k)
on the other hand
Dokuro (6.5k)
Cladun (10.5k)

I wonder if Steamspy have impact on more Japanese publisher entering Steam. Now at least they can get rough picture of what to expect.

Corpekata

Banned
One look at Steam will tell them that you can be successful if you do it right. That really wasn't the case when they tried with Cladun.
Htol#niq probably didn't do so hot on Vita either yet they're still putting out Vita games. Weird!

I don't think there's another thread that generally has such a negative reaction to pretty much everything.

They've also released big hits on the Vita. Kind of a big difference between platforms there. Weird!

Jawmuncher

on the other hand
Dokuro (6.5k)
Cladun (10.5k)

I wonder if Steamspy have impact on more Japanese publisher entering Steam. Now at least they can get rough picture of what to expect.

I gotta ask on Steamspy what does this even mean for total numbers
390,906 ±16,114

What' even is the second set of numbers?

Tizoc

^Margin of error? Like it might be 16K less or more than the number provided?

I really think it'd do well on Steam provided they fixed and fine tuned the controls and priced it at $15 max.

Contracts for VAs for a new platform would be most likely and HtoL#NiQ has zero VA work in it.

Did Grandia 2 have voice acting by any chance? Or will it get a completely new voice acting?

Shantom

Gungho didn't start with Grandia 2 though, they started with Dokuro, which is probably one of the biggest bombs on Steam ever (~<1000 sales before they appeared in the groupee's bundle)

I give them a lot of credit for trying again after that.

baterism

I gotta ask on Steamspy what does this even mean for total numbers
390,906 ±16,114

What' even is the second set of numbers?

Maybe deviation error ? You know, how much the number can miss or something like that. Better ask some statistician or Russian Spy for actual info, though.

Gungho didn't start with Grandia 2 though, they started with Dokuro, which is probably one of the biggest bombs on Steam ever (~<1000 sales before they appeared in the groupee's bundle)
Ugh, I must have missed that bundle. Kinda make the number even grimmer.

They've also released big hits on the Vita. Kind of a big difference between platforms there. Weird!

And they didn't even try those on PC yet. That's my point. You're all assuming the company is run by complete idiots and everything will depend on Firefly Diary selling 100k+ copies. They probably have some reasonable expectations based on the performance on other platforms.

Tizoc

I give them a lot of credit for trying again after that.

I feel bad for Dokuro, it was rather praised on the Vita, and I don't think the PC ver. seemed that bad. What I found funny though is that people complained about the game not having proper controller support, then other people complained about Toren can only be played with a controller (you can still play the latter with a Keyboard+Mouse, but controller is suggested)

Arthea

on the other hand
Dokuro (6.5k)
Cladun (10.5k)

well, that's not a real indication of things, Recettear is an amazing game. For example another PC waters testing - Alphadia Genesis (JRPG) sits at 2,075 ± 1,434.
To sell on PC you need a damn good game at reasonable price, let's remember here that amazing Trails game sold only 97,204 ± 8,040.
Anyway, if your game is mediocre or not especially known-popular you need marketing and sales, you need lower price than on other platforms too. Games just not miraculously sell because they are on PC of genre that's underrepresented here.

edited: coppied wrong numbers, fixed now.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Shadows of War -- MB-40E5F922FE396343 - Taken by Purkake4
Magnetic By Nature -- MB-1CC996F4AF3E4811 - Taken by rainking187
Final Dusk -- MB-F5A709F86BD58131 - Taken by Jawmuncher
Pixel Piracy -- MB-23F04A399CECB98C - Taken by bronson
Ninja Guy -- MB-9A6598AFEDD0B24F - Taken by Eila
Retro/Grade -- MB-669C70AC630B5F4A - Taken by user237

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
well, that's not a real indication of things, Recettear is an amazing game. For example another PC waters testing - Alphadia Genesis (JRPG) sits at 1,556 ± 1,242.
To sell on PC you need a damn good game at reasonable price, let's remember here that amazing Trails game sold only 76,300 ± 7,123. I just noticed that this number is odd, it was close to 100K last time a checked...
Anyway, if your game is mediocre or not especially known-popular you need marketing and sales, you need lower price than on other platforms too. Games just not miraculously sell because they are on PC of genre that's underrepresented here.

HtoL#NiQ was a budget release everywhere though so I don't think having a low price will be a problem really so I think it can do well.

derExperte

Not a Hero QL: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-not-a-hero/2300-10190/

Played through the game two times during beta and will again after they patch achievements in while trying to do more of the optional objectives, completing levels is fairly easy but those are not. Gameplay is simple without any 'twists', just run, slide, get in cover, *bam* and the levels feel a tad samey after a while but it's addictive and never frustrating even when dying right at the end (no checkpoints). Nice touch that all the characters play a little different and have their own speech-samples and cute animations (Mike's the best!). Humor is hit and miss, maybe sometimes trying too hard to be quirky but overall I like the vibe.

baterism

well, that's not a real indication of things, Recettear is an amazing game. For example another PC waters testing - Alphadia Genesis (JRPG) sits at 1,556 ± 1,242.
To sell on PC you need a damn good game at reasonable price, let's remember here that amazing Trails game sold only 76,300 ± 7,123. I just noticed that this number is odd, it was close to 100K last time a checked...

Yeah, I know Recettear for quite some time, earlier than I make account on Steam I think. It's indeed a good game, and have strong mouth to mouth marketing. They make staggering number for an indie game. Way higher than even VC. Recettear at $15 price point, VC at $20, but one indie and one SEGA. And Sega happy with that number. EasyGameStation and Carpe fulgur must be going crazy seeing that number.

Nep and trails at 80k and 76k are quite good I think. Both Falcom and IF seemed happy with that number. I guess a game doesn't need to sell >100k to make the pub/dev happy.

evanac

Neo Member
I don't think I ever made it farther than 4-2. My respect to everyone that managed to complete it.

Woah, how is this possible???? o_O

Well done! If you could spread the word via Steam that'd be awesome. We really need the game to do well so we can make the next one! Vampire-themed survival / exploration game with base building and twin stick shooting...

AHA-Lambda

Not a Hero QL: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-not-a-hero/2300-10190/

Played through the game two times during beta and will again after they patch achievements in. The gameplay is simple without any 'twists', just run, slide, get in cover, *bam* and the levels feel a tad samey after a while but it's addictive and never frustrating even when dying right at the end (no checkpoints). I'll also try to do more of the optional objectives, completing levels is fairly easy but those are not. I also like how all the characters play a little different (and have their own speech-samples and cute animations. Humor is hit and miss, maybe sometimes trying too hard to be quirky but overall I like the vibe.

It's quite weird to see how Not A Hero has changed from when I first played it at Rezzed back then, it was really hard to finish levels. You only had one hit if I remember right, certainly no regen health.

Arthea

Yeah, I know Recettear for quite some time, earlier than I make account on Steam I think. It's indeed a good game, and have strong mouth to mouth marketing. They make staggering number for an indie game. Way higher than even VC. Recettear at $15 price point, VC at $20, but one indie and one SEGA. And Sega happy with that number. EasyGameStation and Carpe fulgur must be going crazy seeing that number.

Nep and trails at 80k and 76k are quite good I think. Both Falcom and IF seemed happy with that number. I guess a game doesn't need to sell >100k to make the pub/dev happy.
Those numbers were wrong, I fixed now.
I honestly think that Trails is one of the best JRPGs on steam at this moment (other would be FF7), I might be slightly biased as I like series, but still even disregarding that it is a great game. So, selling less than 100K is kinda disappointing number (considering how huge steam userbase is), but if Xseed and Falcom are happy then it's fine. What worries me, that Trails SC is "more expensive" game than FC, it needs to sell more, and it won't, because why people would buy second chapter if they aren't interested in first.

Nep Nep is a low budget game after all, so selling around 100K probably is enough. I know many low budget games has sub 100K sales and are fine.

I don't think KEMCO is happy with Alphadia Genesis sales, that probably means no more steam releases.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lashman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Strategic War In Europe -- MB-8142A5015DDB7628 - Taken by Cyldman
Total Pro Golf 3 -- MB-844DDF5A0AF4577B - Taken by SSPssp
Shadows of War -- MB-DBE0B01E3D95D544 - Taken by Deques
Siege of Turtle Enclave -- MB-7EA61BD316CE6D6B - Taken by thereisnoif
Air Guardians -- MB-5D5B2B23F0BDA78A - Taken by drakaenae
Battleplan: American Civil War -- MB-26B2FFD49F7C500F - Taken by gurm3n
Majestic Nights -- MB-858963E62DAF6DAF - Taken by ExoSoul
Ninja Guy -- MB-320374B36C34872C - Taken by nightstorm
Space Station Alpha -- MB-44E3C2E551425566 - Taken by crazyrabbits

Arthea

I just released that when we talked about too many good releases this month, we forgot that This Starry Midnight We Make (Carpe Fulgur's new game) is releasing on 25th too.

edited: I'm kinda disappointed about no cards and cheevos yet again, though

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It kinda sucks that the best most difficult video game is stuck in a console, otherwise many people could experience said best, most difficult game. It's
Wonderful 101
btw.

I was almost tempted to get DMC3 on steam and i figured that it's been modded to be a decent port.

but then i looked up the issues and decided, naw, not going to go through that. I guess ill finally play through that game on my PS3 HD edition instead. My dreams of playing a heavily downsampled DMC3 will have to just stay that way, as a dream.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I was almost tempted to get DMC3 on steam and i figured that it's been modded to be a decent port.

but then i looked up the issues and decided, naw, not going to go through that. I guess ill finally play through that game on my PS3 HD edition instead. My dreams of playing a heavily downsampled DMC3 will have to just stay that way, as a dream.

Yeah I listened to Grief about it and got burned with the shitty performance. HD collection is just fine on the other hand.

Anteater

I fixed most of the stuff but couldn't remap R2 and L2 for dmc3, end up not playing it at all just because of that, too bad because the game looks nice when most of the shit is fixed but I'd rather not having to go through all those tweaks again.

I'd take a HD remaster, such a shame Capcom didn't go back and fix the port up, especially when they put it on sale everytime, I remember Sega did some work with some of their old ports.

I fixed most of the stuff but couldn't remap R2 and L2 for dmc3, end up not playing it at all just because of that, too bad because the game looks nice when most of the shit is fixed but I'd rather not having to go through all those tweaks again.

I'd take a HD remaster, such a shame Capcom didn't go back and fix the port up, especially when they put it on sale everytime, I remember Sega did some work with some of their old ports.

Capcom can't even be assed to give us DmC remastered. I would've been ok if the changes done to the game were simply things that could be modded in but they added a lock-on option and changed a few story segments. It's always kinda crappy when they do that, like when Tomb Raider remastered changed a bunch of cosmetic stuff but didn't put those changes out on PC in any fashion. Makes you feel like a second class gaming citizen.

Goddamnit!!

original.gif

downgrade talk goes in the downgrade thread, dawg. we know, they missed their initial mark. no point in making us sadder about it : /

also, looking at grief's posts and i really can't find anything that stands out as a post worthy of a ban. Meh. Maybe it's just a cumulative thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom