• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam confirms your account can't be transferred to another person after you die

Toots

Gold Member
I’m leaving 3 characters of my password on each of the seven continents. Seeing as I’ve got the greatest Steam library of all time, I imagine many marauding adventures will by vying for a chance to complete the code. Good luck adventurers!
i5sM9qW.png

Topher

Gold Member
And giving your password and username to someone else is against the TOS of steam. Thats pretty ironic that people suggest here to go against the TOS tho.

lol.....just as ironic for "people" to suggest they shouldn't, in that case.

Until EU law makes them change policy.
Afaik law makers have not yet addressed this. There seems to pop up an article about this every other year and the questioned lawyers saying that it is more grey zone than a clear cut case. Steam can preach how often and loud they want that after death the account is dead, but there is certainly still a chance that they will get shown the finger because it was called a purchase and the whole licensing blabla is invalid for something I should own due to that label.
But law makers anyway have to figure out and define a purchase much better, even though sub models making those digital libraries increasingly volatile. Until then digital stuff is imho in judicial limbo.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Apple has legacy access for three years. This is a good compromise.

That's good for people who have to deal with the aftermath of someone death and need to close out or transfer accounts, stop subscriptions, contact friends, and wrap up other affairs (and maybe affairs).
It's less than useless for a steam account, you are better off breaking the TOS and giving your password to your loved ones so they can keep your account going indefinitely.
I'm already 115+ when looking at age restricted content, so Steam probably already thinks that people on steam live into their 100s on a regular basis.

Denton

I assume making it officially possible would be endless headaches and legal wrangling for Valve, not worth the hassle.

At the same time, I very much doubt they will ever enforce actually forbidding it if someone leaves their credentials to someone else.

I assume making it officially possible would be endless headaches and legal wrangling for Valve, not worth the hassle.

At the same time, I very much doubt they will ever enforce actually forbidding it if someone leaves their credentials to someone else.
I very much believe once Gabe is gone and the age of their most loyal users is averaging 250 or whatever some lawyers will be pointing on break of terms and send letters/emails/neurotransmissions... IF this is not really figured out beforehand. Valve certainly has no interest in allowing it indefinitely and point to their own tos with a lot of legal speak but if governments say that a digital product is not merely a limited license but rather equal to a physical product they would have to abide.
It is not very likely, especially in America companies have to much value and say in law making, but afaik eg reselling OEM keys for MS products or anything is entirely legal here even though MS hates it. I think therefore they moved towards accounts or the OS is now actually bound to the initial hw. But since it is unlikely that digital will be put on the very same level as physical I treat my licenses as rentals and adjust the price accordingly. If I don't own my shit, I certainly won't pay the same.

Top Bottom